Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Nobody thought bitcoin was dead when it crashed over the weekend. Nobody thinks bitcoin is great now that it has rose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I will say about bitcoin, and again I make no predictions about its price, that I have been asked about it out of nowhere by both my 70 year old dad and my late 50s classical guitar teacher who I don't think is any sort of tech guy so I mean by the time people like that are talking about buying it, it seems like the cat is out of the bag as far as finding more people to buy but who knows

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

temple posted:

Nobody thought bitcoin was dead when it crashed over the weekend. Nobody thinks bitcoin is great now that it has rose.

This guy is here to speak for all people! He knows all actors involved in bitcoins and their motivations / opinions.

-or-

he's full of poo poo!

You decide, reader

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Hammy is actually having a legit loving meltdown, I almost feel bad

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Stefan Prodan posted:

I will say about bitcoin, and again I make no predictions about its price, that I have been asked about it out of nowhere by both my 70 year old dad and my late 50s classical guitar teacher who I don't think is any sort of tech guy so I mean by the time people like that are talking about buying it, it seems like the cat is out of the bag as far as finding more people to buy but who knows

You mean the point at which it's about to be accepted by more retailers and countries and reserve banks and hedge funds are getting into it and square is about to offer payments using it, clearly the ship has sailed just like it had at $2500, and again at $5000

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Blade Runner posted:

Hammy is actually having a legit loving meltdown, I almost feel bad

You said Bitcoin was crashing during the time when it's recovering, guy who called BS on a true story because he's too dumb to understand it, and now you're just making stuff up.

is this your rhetorical technique? When wrong and completely deluded, just keep doubling down on your fantasy? It seems like a grim existence but I'm glad it's working for you

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

You're running around calling random people idiots and just straight up loving screaming about the bits coins, my dude

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Ham Sandwiches posted:

You mean the point at which it's about to be accepted by more retailers and countries and reserve banks and hedge funds are getting into it and square is about to offer payments using it, clearly the ship has sailed just like it had at $2500, and again at $5000

Is square offering payments using it, or is square being paid dollars by a third party that will be the one actually accepting the bitcoins, like bitpay?

Also maybe I wasn't clear but neither person that asked me about it was interested in owning bitcoin or using it to exchange for goods, both of them simply brought it up because they heard it was going up and wanted to get in on it going up in value, without really knowing anything about it

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Do you think 8 transactions a second is enough to make people take bitcoin seriously? Discuss.

Shampy
Apr 27, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Lol everyone that posted during the fork drama about how bitcoins were CRASHING

extra lol at "coins can no longer be updated because ASICS" and people dumb enough to believe it

well done dudes, you sure called this one just like the iphone / anroid big hands thing - NOBODY WILL NEED A PHONE BIGGER THAN THE IPHONE 4 STEVE JOBS HIMSELF SAID SO

Man I like to think that I’m the kind of guy that believes in “live and at live” and honestly for a long time I thought that people were being kinda rough with you. But after this poo poo, lol.

literally a hog
Jan 5, 2006

Mandarrrrrk! Bring me the head of Dexter and Dee Dee shall forever be yours!

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I think it's incredible that the same crew of idiots that made fun of upcoming stuff for YEARS, haha those big phones, lmao, anroid lmao, with dumb unfunny jokes and endless circle jerks, has found their new cause to rally around

and it turns out that they are just as clueless as they were when making fun of big phones, its literally the same people, only this time talking themselves out of money :xd:

Ham Sandwiches posted:

That's so weird that IT janitors with woke CGA avatars could possibly be wrong and dumb about technology trends despite working in it all day? And spend years making fun of the very thing that was about to happen. How could this be?! Maybe if they had self published a book about big phones it would have been different.

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Imagine spending years making fun of those anroid dumbasses with their big phones, who needs a phone that big!! only to find out, that you were the dumbass. The sad plight of yospos posters and unix sysadmins everywhere.

Do you wanna talk about it? Talk about how those yospos posters hurt you.
Sometimes its good to talk about your feelings.

We're all friends here.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Blade Runner posted:

Buttcoin is crashing so he's having a meltdown because he tied his sense of self worth to internet Chuckie cheese tokens
It's back over 7000

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Mr Paul's Wild Ride

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

EorayMel posted:

Do you think 8 transactions a second is enough to make people take bitcoin seriously? Discuss.

So I've got a question for you. When cryptocurrencies are doing let's say 10 transactions a second, what will happen?

Will it be like a bunch of posters coming in here to admit they were wrong and dumb, fixated on something that wasn't an issue?

or will they declare they were never wrong?

I'm asking genuinely. When cryptocurrencies are doing 10 transactions per second, what will you post?

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Shampy posted:

Man I like to think that I’m the kind of guy that believes in “live and at live” and honestly for a long time I thought that people were being kinda rough with you. But after this poo poo, lol.

I think that's great, please understand that I genuinely think the yospos phone size crew is dumb as poo poo, that's not posturing in any way

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

literally a hog posted:

Do you wanna talk about it? Talk about how those yospos posters hurt you.
Sometimes its good to talk about your feelings.

We're all friends here.

I actually marvel that there's a group of sysadmins that made their own fyadlite and spend their time with a bunch of dumb in jokes (anroid! bitscoins! is this for real?) and being wrong in the process. It's something that is super entertaining to me and the same crew that spent a long time mocking big phones (right before they became the norm) has found their latest dumb crusade, bitscoins and fedora redditors and strawberries and mtgox. At no point did the fact that they were wrong as poo poo on phone size give them any pause to consider whether they know what they're talking about, just moved to a new topic.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Bitcoins is good and the price is higher than god. SUck it haters

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Uranium 235 posted:

It's back over 7000

Ah yes, a currency that wildly swings from 5800 to 7000 dollars over a weekend, clearly a strong and stable currency that people will definately endorce and use in shops for purchasing goods and services and isn't totally and only being sold on the idea that it's a "fast easy way to make money" to idiots a-la a pyramid scheme.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Drone_Fragger posted:

Ah yes, a currency that wildly swings from 5800 to 7000 dollars over a weekend, clearly a strong and stable currency that people will definately endorce and use in shops for purchasing goods and services and isn't totally and only being sold on the idea that it's a "fast easy way to make money" to idiots a-la a pyramid scheme.

Yeah dude a 20% drop when noted blue chip GE dropped 15% on poor forecast during the same time, but meanwhile this guy is unironically presenting one as proof of scam status, and the other of a functioning market

Like, when peddling the "going up is sign of a scam, dropping is sign of a scam, volatility is sign of a scam" bullshit do these contradictions ever bother you or is it more like, there's no time to consider them just keep framing everything that happens as proof of scam?

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Fried Watermelon posted:

are you doing okay today

at this point the script in Ham Sandwiches' head is not concerning this thread, no

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

divabot posted:

at this point the script in Ham Sandwiches' head is not concerning this thread, no

It's fascinating watching the same crew of people that circlejerk in their subforum come in here and do their great comedy material

Bitscoins bro, bitscoins, lmao its a funny name. Yaknow, like there's letters in there that shouldn't be.

When confronted with their monumental stupidity, these posters respond with "Wow I wonder if this guy is ok"

You know what's not OK? Your predictive ability!

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
The only thing that proves your brain is broken better than your unwavering belief in the idea that math==money is your delusion that you were able to predict anything at all related to bitcoin.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

bobfather posted:

The only thing that proves your brain is broken better than your unwavering belief in the idea that math==money is your delusion that you were able to predict anything at all related to bitcoin.

The thing I predicted was that the people gazing into their crystal ball predicting cryptocurrencies are a scam were absolutely and utterly full of poo poo, and that has been eminently true and continues to be!

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Yeah dude a 20% drop when noted blue chip GE dropped 15% on poor forecast during the same time, but meanwhile this guy is unironically presenting one as proof of scam status, and the other of a functioning market

Like, when peddling the "going up is sign of a scam, dropping is sign of a scam, volatility is sign of a scam" bullshit do these contradictions ever bother you or is it more like, there's no time to consider them just keep framing everything that happens as proof of scam?

You're literally comparing stocks in a company, that pays dividends based on it's market performance, and hence the price of which is affected by price and earnings forecasts, to an asset bubble based on the digital equivalent of beanie babies and acting like you're winning an argument.

Bitcoin is a scam for the sole reason it is being sold to people entirely on the premise that it's going to go up forever, for real this time, and it won't ever crash and you're always going to be able to sell your coins to get the USD back out afterwards. The fact it's being pushed to people based entirely on this fact, is the same modus operandi that pyramid schemes and frauds use to peddle their latest scam to people.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Drone_Fragger posted:

You're literally comparing stocks in a company, that pays dividends based on it's market performance, and hence the price of which is affected by price and earnings forecasts, to an asset bubble based on the digital equivalent of beanie babies and acting like you're winning an argument.

Bitcoin is a scam for the sole reason it is being sold to people entirely on the premise that it's going to go up forever, for real this time, and it won't ever crash and you're always going to be able to sell your coins to get the USD back out afterwards. The fact it's being pushed to people based entirely on this fact, is the same modus operandi that pyramid schemes and frauds use to peddle their latest scam to people.

I'm comparing two assets people trade and of course your response is "not a valid comparison." The thing that caused the cryptocurrency drop was the upcoming fork that had been telegraphed for weeks, and people warned about the turmoil. The drop was not significantly worse than the vaunted stock you have so much faith in due to paying dividends and being regulated, and yet in the end, was just as volatile due to a projection revision as the thing you are presenting as a scam.

It seems that you think bitcoin is a scam because you have an idiotic idea of why people are buying it, which is your right, but your ignorance about why people find cryptocurrencies useful does not make the dumb things you believe / claim here true.

Shampy
Apr 27, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Drone_Fragger posted:

I don’t think anyone is selling bitcoins with the promise of making money off of your “investment”. I don’t have any except the change I have left over from buying weed but to say it is a scam, imo, is a little much. Obviously there are people willing to buy it and there are people on the other end willing to sell. I don’t think it’s a scam in the classical sense that you think of.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
so its like 7200 dollars i still have that .06 of a coin do i cash out or use it to buy meth?

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I'm comparing two assets people trade and of course your response is "not a valid comparison." The thing that caused the cryptocurrency drop was the upcoming fork that had been telegraphed for weeks, and people warned about the turmoil. The drop was not significantly worse than the vaunted stock you have so much faith in due to paying dividends and being regulated, and yet in the end, was just as volatile due to a projection revision as the thing you are presenting as a scam.

It seems that you think bitcoin is a scam because you have an idiotic idea of why people are buying it, which is your right, but your ignorance about why people find cryptocurrencies useful does not make the dumb things you believe / claim here true.

Bitcoin is literally a Ponzi scheme because no money can possibly be generated by it in the same way as money can be generated by an actual stock, and no amount of your flailing retardation about "NUMBER GO UP" can change that

You have never responded to this in a meaningful way, and if you bother to quote this post you will not actively respond to this criticism being levied, you will just say a bunch of retard buzzwords that mean nothing and sit back, smug in the knowledge that you have defended buttcoin for another day

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Blade Runner posted:

Bitcoin is literally a Ponzi scheme because no money can possibly be generated by it in the same way as money can be generated by an actual stock, and no amount of your flailing retardation about "NUMBER GO UP" can change that

Lmao this is a claim that will become obviously less true as the adoption increases and the usage of cryptocurrencies spread, the people that believe dumb poo poo like this based on secondhand / wrong info aren't gonna be convinced by a few paragraphs I write. That's certainly clear based on the past few months.

So, how do you not have confidence that if this is true at some point the ponzi scheme will collapse and become obvious? And similarly if it never seems like that's going to happen, and adoption / usage keeps increasing obviously your claims about it being a ponzi scheme are false.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Blade Runner posted:

The fact that Bitcoin has no meaningful economy is a problem Bitcoiners don't quite understand. If I say "Bitcoin's only use case is drugs" they go "yeah but cash is used for drugs too!! huh? huh??" I'm not worrying about the "drugs" bit - the problem is the "only" bit. Bitcoins don't circulate with economic value. There are speculators and there are people who cash them out.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Lmao this is a claim that will become obviously less true as the adoption increases and the usage of cryptocurrencies spread, the people that believe dumb poo poo like this based on secondhand / wrong info aren't gonna be convinced by a few paragraphs I write. That's certainly clear based on the past few months.

So, how do you not have confidence that if this is true at some point the ponzi scheme will collapse and become obvious? And similarly if it never seems like that's going to happen, and adoption / usage keeps increasing obviously your claims about it being a ponzi scheme are false.

Give me 5 compelling reasons to use bitcoin over literally any other payment processor. Reminder that it needs to have advantages over existing payment processors if it's going to somehow steal their market share.

You will not respond to this post, because there are literally not 5 compelling reasons to use bitcoin over visa that are actually true.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

divabot posted:

The fact that Bitcoin has no meaningful economy is a problem Bitcoiners don't quite understand. If I say "Bitcoin's only use case is drugs" they go "yeah but cash is used for drugs too!! huh? huh??" I'm not worrying about the "drugs" bit - the problem is the "only" bit. Bitcoins don't circulate with economic value. There are speculators and there are people who cash them out.

It's cool that this guy has seen the future and knows every single potential and current use for cryptocurrencies and knows that whatever exists today is the only thing that can exist tomorrow, and is here to help warn people with their sage wisdom.

-or-

this guy is a genuinely limited in his ability to predict things and can't think beyond his current context when cryptocurrencies were still emerging and got so fixated on solvable technical and scaling issues that they couldn't see the obvious way this is going to go

And time will tell which it is

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Drone_Fragger posted:

Give me 5 compelling reasons to use bitcoin over literally any other payment processor. Reminder that it needs to have advantages over existing payment processors if it's going to somehow steal their market share.

You will not respond to this post, because there are literally not 5 compelling reasons to use bitcoin over visa that are actually true.

I don't have to call the future other than to say the people claiming cryptocurrencies are a scam are super, mega dumb. Pretty soon there will be use cases so clear and obvious we won't quibble about them and this line of reasoning will seem ridiculous and short sighted; at which point I'll list them off and you'll declare that nobody could have known except speculators and ponzi enthusiasts

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Ham Sandwiches posted:

My info is neither second hand nor wrong, yours 100% is because you don't know anything about the actual technical details of Bitcoin and have absolutely zero knowledge of the economy, your only knowledge of a thing is pointing at a line that goes up and claiming that "BIG NUMBER GOOD"

The reason Bitcoin is a Ponzi scheme is because Bitcoin does not and cannot make money, and so there will never be more money in Bitcoin than people have put into it

Literally exactly like I said you would, you did not meaningfully reply to this, you just said "WELL IT HASN'T COLLAPSED YET SO IT'S NOT A PONZI" and that is so immensely retarded that it is difficult to comprehend how you put on pants

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I don't have to call the future other than to say the people claiming cryptocurrencies are a scam are super, mega dumb. Pretty soon there will be use cases so clear and obvious we won't quibble about them and this line of reasoning will seem ridiculous and short sighted; at which point I'll list them off and you'll declare that nobody could have known except speculators and ponzi enthusiasts

Stop dancing around the point and give an actual answer to any question you have been asked ever

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Ham Sandwiches posted:

It's cool that this guy has seen the future

I'm talking about the last eight years.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Blade Runner posted:

My info is neither second hand nor wrong, yours 100% is because you don't know anything about the actual technical details of Bitcoin and have absolutely zero knowledge of the economy, your only knowledge of a thing is pointing at a line that goes up and claiming that "BIG NUMBER GOOD"

Your info is wrong because you are fixating on irrelevant details and are so very proud of them, when those details are not holding back cryptocurrency acceptance, they just don't fit into your existing financial models and understanding. That's a limitation on your end. Cryptocurrencies are useful to people, and are growing more useful

quote:

The reason Bitcoin is a Ponzi scheme is because Bitcoin does not and cannot make money, and so there will never be more money in Bitcoin than people have put into it

This is your reason for believing bitcoin is a ponzi scheme, and oddly enough, millions of people around the world including hedge fund managers disagree. I get that you firmly and utterly believe this. And I firmly and utterly believe you are wrong, and it will become super obvious soon that you are wrong.

quote:

Literally exactly like I said you would, you did not meaningfully reply to this, you just said "WELL IT HASN'T COLLAPSED YET SO IT'S NOT A PONZI" and that is so immensely retarded that it is difficult to comprehend how you put on pants

No, the number of people buying, using, and trading cryptocurrencies keeps going up and that is increasing their price. I find it very odd how often cryptocurrency detractors look at the increasing price and declare it as a scam, and I truly wonder if they are this limited or just peddling a narrative. Cryptocurrencies are increasing in price due to increased adoption and usage in transactions, which you completely handwave away as a sign of them being a scam. That argument is bunk and so is your reasoning, so I just figure it will become super obvious to you too as more and more people use cryptocurrencies for more and more things.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Ham Sandwiches posted:

You mean the point at which it's about to be accepted by more retailers[citation needed] and countries[citation needed] and reserve banks[citation needed] and hedge funds are getting into it[citation needed] and square is about to offer payments using it[citation needed], clearly the ship has sailed just like it had at $2500, and again at $5000

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Blade Runner posted:

Stop dancing around the point and give an actual answer to any question you have been asked ever

Stop making poo poo up dude, if you're too dumb to understand my responses that doesn't mean its not a response, it means you can't read and/or parse other people's posts and respond aggressively instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

divabot posted:

I'm talking about the last eight years.

Uhh, lots of people are investing in cryptocurrencies for what they will be able to do in the future, did you like somehow not understand that?