Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kashuno posted:

What is a game that does a market row well and why

It comes up frequently, but the deckbuilder Valley of the Kings does it very well. I think that's for two main reasons:

1.) You stack the deck, so that there is a starting tier, and then a more advanced tier. The game is balanced so that stuff in the first tier prepares you to buy stuff in the second. This also makes it more predictable.

2.) The market is in the shape of a three layered pyramid. Only the bottom row may be bought from, but there are many ways to juke that rule. When you buy a card you 'crumble' the pyramid, allowing you to make choices about what cards are available to your opponents, and what might be available on your turn.

Both of those mechanics serve to add more information and choice to the market row concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Castles of Mad King Ludwig also has a market row that's done well (but it isn't a deck builder). That's accomplished by putting a lot of choice and strategy into how the row is assembled. Each turn there's a 'master builder' role, who is responsible for assigning prices to the pieces on the market row. Each turn the pieces also become less expensive, leading some pieces to even earn you money as you gain them. Both of those in conjunction add a lot of choice and depth.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Crackbone posted:

None really, if you want a balanced deckbuilder. There's lots of game that aren't deckbuilders that use market rows though - the balancing is making new cards expensive as they come out and get cheaper over time. For some reason none of the market row deckbuilders have tried that.

silvergoose posted:

Century spice road, through the Ages, Concordia. The things get cheaper as people don't take a card thing helps a lot.

There's an idea I hadn't considered. I'm currently using the tiered deck idea mentioned above (cards of different point values are separate, meaning there is no chance you take a 1 point card to reveal a 9 point card.) to balance things a bit, but the cost reduction one seems good to me too.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

silvergoose posted:

Century spice road, through the Ages, Concordia. The things get cheaper as people don't take a card thing helps a lot.

More directly, since the criticism of bad market row games is that the player after you can buy the really important cool card that just flipped, what helps the most is that the newest cards to flip are usually overpriced.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I thought my group and I would just be ambivalent towards Import/Export when I got it in, but they keep asking for me to bring it as a light-medium filler game when we hang out. We must've played a dozen games of it by now and it's only been a couple weeks. It's expensive for what it is, no doubt, but the extra shipment portion of the game really adds to the Mottainai experience.

Kashuno posted:

I'll bring up Legendary as something others haven't said yet and it's because the market row (i.e. defeating villains) is used more like a map. Waiting to defeat certain villains at certain locations grants minor bonuses. Wanting to defeat the newest villain because they're easy or give a better bonus also comes with the price of having a negative effect on the group as another villain escapes.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Kashuno posted:

There's an idea I hadn't considered. I'm currently using the tiered deck idea mentioned above (cards of different point values are separate, meaning there is no chance you take a 1 point card to reveal a 9 point card.) to balance things a bit, but the cost reduction one seems good to me too.

Power Grid and Ponzi Scheme are games with a tiered market where new cards automatically rearrange themselves and you can only buy from a specific row. This lets you see what's available, and what will be available, and there's some way that cards will fall off or get discarded so you can plan on getting something else. Newbies to Power Grid complain that you'll get a crappy power plant and then immediately a new one will appear that is objectively better than all the others but Power Grid balances this by making last player have an advantage in that they can wait until everyone has bought a power plant, basically getting whatever they want uncontested.

EBag
May 18, 2006

Selecta84 posted:

Thanks,

and no, not gonna play it with 2 primarily. Which player count would you say is the best?

It scales really well, it mostly depends on the map. I like playing with 4-5 as there is a bit more competition to build cities and grab the right cards but even with 2-3 there can be almost as much interaction.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Lots of games use market rows with some form of Dutch auction, like Pax Porfiriana, Small World, Archipelago, etc.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

PerniciousKnid posted:

Lots of games use market rows with some form of Dutch auction, like Pax Porfiriana, Small World, Archipelago, etc.

Century does this, actually, too.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
My brain keeps confusing Concordia and Viticulture. I've played both at gaming cons, and recently ordered the latter (possibly remembering the former - I tend to be pretty sleep-deprived at these cons).

They're both good though, right?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Thread I need ideas. What are the best games for families with younger kids, around 5 years old?

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

EBag posted:

It scales really well, it mostly depends on the map. I like playing with 4-5 as there is a bit more competition to build cities and grab the right cards but even with 2-3 there can be almost as much interaction.

Awesome. Gonna order it tonight

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

MikeCrotch posted:

Thread I need ideas. What are the best games for families with younger kids, around 5 years old?

Looping Louie / Chewie is a pretty good bet. It also scales up well for adults as a drinking game. Basically, a dexterity game with a motorized, counterweighted airplane that knocks chicken tokens off a ramp, but can be manipulated by the lever in front of the player, used to both guard and attack other players. Louie seats 4, Chewie seats 3.

A niece also just recently got a game called Outfoxed! (https://gamewright.com/product/Outfoxed) with is a nice little rework of Clue. It gets rid of the frustrating aspects of Clue, has cooperative and competitive modes, and the styling and ruleset are purpose-made for younger children. This one doesn't really scale up to adults, but the two modes of play mean you can move on to the more competitive version of the game as the kid grows up.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

WhiteHowler posted:

My brain keeps confusing Concordia and Viticulture. I've played both at gaming cons, and recently ordered the latter (possibly remembering the former - I tend to be pretty sleep-deprived at these cons).

They're both good though, right?

Yep. Concordia is the one where you have a map of the Mediterranean and build things and collect resources by playing cards. You also purchase cards, and that is the primary way to gain more points.

Viticulture is a more standard worker placement game about making wine and building a winery.

They're both quite good.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

MikeCrotch posted:

My nephew and nieces enjoyed Animal Upon Animal at that age. Dixit goes over well even if they aren't winning.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

MikeCrotch posted:

Hey! That's My Fish is an absolute masterpiece of a game, and is simple enough for children.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

FulsomFrank posted:

Has anyone ever considered trying to build a tiered draw deck for Terraforming Mars? Like, dividing the cards into sections a la Through the Ages or VotK (which is a game that does market row well too) so that you actually care about the majority of your cards versus looking at something really good but useless for most of the game?

I wanted to give this a try after my first game, and even more every game I've played since. Unfortunately, it belongs to a friend so I don't have access to it to give it a try. I want to like Terraforming Mars a lot more than it deserves. It's just sooooo random even though having to pay for cards does add significant opportunities to kneecap yourself by keeping too many or buying too few.

When you can pull off a good combo it feels good, but more often you'll get half the cards needed for a combo and someone else will get the rest. The animal VP card chains are especially egregious since if you're missing any of the cards in the middle they score a lot less than they should.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh - I'm not sure if Cheeky Monkey is in print any more, but it's a fun push your luck game that plays quickly and has a lot of fun moments. It might be frustrating for younger players if they push their luck too often, however.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

MikeCrotch posted:

How many kids, and have they played anything else? Every 5 year old is going to be different in terms of how much exposure they have to core board game concepts.

At 5 kids can generally follow instructions but can’t make strategic decisions, so games that give more weight to moment to moment gameplay will generally work well. I think there are a lot of games adults play that work fine with kids this age.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

MikeCrotch posted:

Machi Koro works pretty well with kids that age - but gets painful to play as an adult. Camel Up is solid and might work if the kid is pretty advanced (I think my kids played it at 6?).

My younger kids are 7 now, and their current favorites are Big Book of Madness (a light deckbuilder), Cat Lady (a light set collection game), and Connect 4 (all 3 of which are perfectly reasonable games for adults too).

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

MikeCrotch posted:

Dexterity games are big at this age. Animal Upon Animal and Suspend have been our biggest hits out of boxes. We've done quite a few of the Peaceable Kingdom games from Target and they're hit or miss and can be too rulesy, at least for my just-turned 5 YO. Yours may focus better than mine (it wouldn't surprise me).

I've shared this before, but my kids love a game we call "Dice Fight" where we each roll a D6 and yell "DICE FIGHT!" out loud. Then she counts the pips to see who won and repeat over and over. When she got a little older we introduced another D6. When she got her counting down but not so much her 2-digit number recognition we started with D20s.

There are a lot of little dumb things you can do with it, like having different colors (pick your fighter style). Once I had Claustrophobia out from the night before and we each chose a figure as our DICE FIGHTER and the winner got to knock the loser over. You can literally just spice it up however you want as the mood or inspiration strikes.

The whole game will last about 5-10 minutes before they lose interest, but that's going to happen no matter what unless you have a very focused group of kids.

It's obviously just a learning game, but it has 1) no strategy and 2) yelling. That'll take you a lot further than you might imagine.

twosideddice
Jan 7, 2009

Just got my dispatch notice on Gloomhaven. Very excited. Add to that first martians showing up yesterday and Twilight Imperium 4 being delivered today and it looks like I've got a lot of trying to get people to listen to rules explanations in my future.

twosideddice
Jan 7, 2009

MikeCrotch posted:

You could try Rhino Hero. That's always pretty fun.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

twosideddice posted:

Just got my dispatch notice on Gloomhaven. Very excited. Add to that first martians showing up yesterday and Twilight Imperium 4 being delivered today and it looks like I've got a lot of trying to get people to listen to rules explanations in my future.

Are you in USA, and if so, did the dispatch come from Funagain?

twosideddice
Jan 7, 2009

Mikey Purp posted:

Are you in USA, and if so, did the dispatch come from Funagain?

UK, so it is coming from Happy shops in Germany.

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

Kashuno posted:

Ponzi Scheme, but its a very different game

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

twosideddice posted:

Add to that first martians showing up yesterday

did you, uh, try that one before you bought it?

Because it's ignacy.

and if that's not enough...it is, uh, not good.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Megasabin posted:

Went to a local board game meet up tonight. Played Machi Koro for the first time. As someone who likes their games as luck free as possible with a maximum amount of player agency, it was perhaps one of the most painful board game experiences I've ever endured.

I felt like nothing I did mattered in the slightest. Roll dice, if you get lucky and get money then hope the most recent card flipped over was good, rinse repeat. We played with 5 people and it took like 2 1/2 hours. I think only the owner of the game enjoyed themselves, and everyone else wanted to die.

Machi Koro does not get NEARLY enough poo poo for how bad it is. I like luck in games; I like push-your-luck games quite a bit. But Machi Koro is just such a huge waste of time. You have essentially no control. The problem is that, because you start the game with one die, you can't choose to hedge your bet closer to higher probabilities or take a risk by going to lower probability results. It is full-on independent one-in-six chances of anything. Unlike a game like Settlers (which is not exactly excellent by today's standards but it's what Machi Koro is commonly compared to), where you can say "I'm going to get this 8 and this 11 and hope to roll that 11." Once you have the two dice, it starts chugging along but I wish they just designed the game to be a risk management game with 2 dice always. Also, the "attacky"-ness of the game is just no fun.

It is one of relatively few games I would probably actively refuse to play.

Selecta84 posted:

What are your opinions on Concordia?

I feel like it's been said, but Concordia is excellent. Probably my second favorite game at the moment. It's easy to learn and play but your actions have consequences to set up later turns. You can take it very seriously or you can relax and try to play by intuition, and that's not something that can be said about many middle weight euros. Every time it gets mentioned here, it seems to be thread-approved. Also, it was out of print for a little while so it's at the top of mind right about now.

To quote myself, the last time I was trying to explain why I like Concordia:

Magnetic North posted:

If you want some idea of why we love the game, this video is a glowingly positive review from a website called Shut Up And Sit Down. It even goes over the rules, which are very very simple. Other mostly positive videos are here (JonGetsGames) or here (RadhoRunsThrough).

If you're wondering about what it's actually like to play, you can see a full playthrough of the game from the BGG channel show "Game Night!" here. These guys are not exactly the best entertainers but it is a real live showcase of a game which should give you some idea of the actual feel of play. (Their opinions might not be as positive as these reviews, I haven't watched this video in forever.)

I hope this helps you find out if it's your thing, and lets you make the correct decision.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The only downside I think Concordia has is that the scoring is a bit arcane compared to the rest of the game (which is incredibly elegant and smooth).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The only downside I think Concordia has is that the scoring is a bit arcane compared to the rest of the game (which is incredibly elegant and smooth).

The scoring in Concordia is simple as all hell. The only thing I've ever seen catch people is non-brick cities for Jupiter.

EBag
May 18, 2006

It maybe takes a bit for new players to really internalize how to optimally score, but yah once you get it it's relatively simple. I think if anything new players get tripped up just trying to build as many cities as they can, without really thinking about how to capitalize on the cards they have or ignoring acquiring more cards.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I agree that it's arcane, but disagree that it's a problem. I like it because it helps obscure who is winning at any point.

e: I can english correctly.

Magnetic North fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Nov 16, 2017

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

I have another request for recommendations. Two, actually, though they could definitely overlap.

First, what are the good pirate games? I want a couple. I have way too many space games, so I'm trying to diversify settings. Merchants and Marauders looks neat, but way too long, and being able to lose absolutely everything and start over sounds like hell. Libertalia looks awesome, and pretty quick, and I already have and love Dogs of War by the same guy. Black Fleet looks just plain fun and interesting, but might be one I just play with my nephews and not the main game group. Any others?

Second, What pick up and deliver games should I look at? I got to play Istanbul last night, and I realized that it's the only game like that in my collection, unless you count Escape: Zombie City. BGG's Weight meter is unreliable, but my sweet spot for game complexity seems to be right around 2.8, give or take.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

El Fideo posted:

Second, What pick up and deliver games should I look at? I got to play Istanbul last night, and I realized that it's the only game like that in my collection, unless you count Escape: Zombie City. BGG's Weight meter is unreliable, but my sweet spot for game complexity seems to be right around 2.8, give or take.

Steam vs. Age of Steam (you'd have to do your own research there because while I did mine, I haven't played both so can't compare) or any of the crayon rails games like iron dragon. The former is network building with pickup and deliver amongst established routes. The latter is actually pickup and deliver where you command a single train to do so.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

El Fideo posted:

I have another request for recommendations. Two, actually, though they could definitely overlap.

First, what are the good pirate games? I want a couple. I have way too many space games, so I'm trying to diversify settings. Merchants and Marauders looks neat, but way too long, and being able to lose absolutely everything and start over sounds like hell. Libertalia looks awesome, and pretty quick, and I already have and love Dogs of War by the same guy. Black Fleet looks just plain fun and interesting, but might be one I just play with my nephews and not the main game group. Any others?

Libertalia is by far the best pirate game I've played. The only knock on it is that it's really best with 5-6 players, and I wouldn't play it with fewer than 4. With 4 I'd still look for something else first.

EDIT: also check out Francis Drake. That's a good one too. Each round is two phases - a race to gear your ship up for the voyage, then the actual voyage itself where you attack ships, trade with locals, and raid spanish bases for loot. You store your loot in a 3D treasure chest so your opponents can't see it till the end. There's a few different mechanics going on, but I enjoy it a lot

Fate Accomplice fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Nov 16, 2017

Dancer
May 23, 2011

El Fideo posted:

Bus is a really old not well known Splotter that I maintain is lots of fun, and it has the benefit of being rather easy to print and play. Print out this map on 4 sheets of paper, get cubes and sticks for each player, and 3 types of pieces/tokens representing the 3 types of buildings

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Dancer posted:

Bus is a really old not well known Splotter that I maintain is lots of fun, and it has the benefit of being rather easy to print and play. Print out this map on 4 sheets of paper, get cubes and sticks for each player, and 3 types of pieces/tokens representing the 3 types of buildings

Whoa, will look into this thanks. I can probably PNP this and get some popsicle sticks and bits for tokyo highway as a "commuter game wooden box."

EBag
May 18, 2006

Looking for some suggestions, what are your favorite engine builders where you can acquire really powerful combos over the course of a game? Specifically we really enjoy the cards in La Granja where you have a lot of options for how you want to customize the way you play and they provide a good amount of variety from game to game, as well as the abilities in general just feeling really powerful and satisfying.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

El Fideo posted:

Container. Also a game you can pnp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I got a Canadian shipping notice today on Gloomhaven.

Yes, shipping. My eda is Nov 21. :circlefap: