Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

FYI, Gloomhaven thread up thats half spoiler free and starting out chat and half goons lamenting their copy not arriving yet. Starting character classes are talked about openly with some good write-ups on how they play. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3840191

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Hey Lunatic Sledge, I tossed few bucks at your kickstarter. I hope the final-days rally gets you past the finish line.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Anyone heard anything significantly good or bad about Tabula Rasa? It's in the final hours.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

Agent Rush posted:

Anyone heard anything significantly good or bad about Tabula Rasa? It's in the final hours.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/225968/tabula-rasa

Not many ratings, probably just run of the mill. They got about 2x their goal, so they weren't really expecting too much. Nothing really of note from what I can see.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Agent Rush posted:

Well, it died back in 2009 (but was outlived a year or two by the litigation that followed).

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Three days left for John Wick's 7th Sea Khitai. I really like 7th Sea 2e, and this looks just as well done.

Have they fixed the combat system yet?

I wanted to like 7S 2E, but the combat sucked donkey dong.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
So how big is Gloomhaven compared to Ogre, as giant Kickstarter board game boxes go? I need better storage solutions...

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

90s Cringe Rock posted:

So how big is Gloomhaven compared to Ogre, as giant Kickstarter board game boxes go? I need better storage solutions...

If it's like the multitude of copies I see out in the wild of Ogre:

http://www.sjgames.com/img/newsq/illq/2013/OgrePan.jpg

It's not as long/wide, but it's much much higher. Mainly because it's very dense, not a lot of flat pieces that Ogre seems to have to store.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Here's a picture someone took that includes Ogre and Gloomhaven:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Foglet posted:

Well, it died back in 2009 (but was outlived a year or two by the litigation that followed).

Are you thinking of the video game?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

Oh man I didn't know they made a pocket-sized version of Twilight Struggle... oh...

I keep forgetting just how massive the kickstarter version of Ogre was.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Jedit posted:

Are you thinking of the video game?

Yeah, that was the (half-assed attempt of a) joke.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Much more compact, not as big overall (but definitely my second biggest). But yes, taller for sure. That picture above gives a general idea but I feel like the perspective short sells just how monstrous the Ogre box is.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Got my Gloomhaven box in the mail yesterday. Actually seeing the magnitude of the box is intimidating.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer
What's the black box on the bottom?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Rhandhali posted:

What's the black box on the bottom?

Kingdom Death: Monster.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I'd have expected that in a plain brown box.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

The Lord of Hats posted:

Kingdom Death: Monster.

An amazing game, if your wallet is fat and you have tons of time to assemble/paint minis.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Nuns with Guns posted:

See this is unfair. Twilight struggle should at least be inside its collectors edition briefcase.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Nuns with Guns posted:

Is that apartment rent controlled?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

kinkouin posted:

An amazing game, if your wallet is fat and you have tons of time to assemble/paint minis.

No. It’s an amazing game if you enjoy gamifying sexual assault and misogyny. Thank you for outing yourself as a piece of poo poo!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Arivia posted:

gamifying sexual assault and misogyny

*deep tentative breath*

Could you elaborate?

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Arivia posted:

No. It’s an amazing game if you enjoy gamifying sexual assault and misogyny. Thank you for outing yourself as a piece of poo poo!

I did not end up getting Kingdom Death because the combined weight of all the lovely stuff about it outweighed the cool models (i.e the ones that weren't severed head boob ladies being used as bookholders or my avatar) and concepts that I liked (A monster hunter style boardgame where your characters kill stuff and upgrade their amour).

At the time of the kickstarter I was much more tempted by the cool parts, hence my avatar.

Someone needs to do a monster hunter boardgame.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

*deep tentative breath*

Could you elaborate?

kingdom death website posted:

So great was Satan’s self-obsession that it split into twin hermaphrodite lovers to share the world with itself. They roam Kingdom Death, drunk with self-lust and power, trapped by their own vanity in fragile human frames. Their armor of living tongues shares the taste of the world between the twins. Satan is a vicious masochist, poisoning the minds of any it comes across. The pair is well hated by other entities, as they only seek to disrupt balance for their own satisfaction.

That's my favorite stupid kingdom death monster description

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

tbh Kingdom Death is not a good game imo. Its a somewhat okay story generator but as a game it fails to provide an experience you can actually improve on, with how dominant the game relies on d% and just straight d10 rolls to do everything. Usually with a built-in 10% chance to die.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Kingdom Death also has a ton of events that happen between battles, where you roll to get the event then roll a d10 to see what happens. On a bunch of them, a roll of 10 means you just die.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Cerepol posted:

tbh Kingdom Death is not a good game imo. Its a somewhat okay story generator but as a game it fails to provide an experience you can actually improve on, with how dominant the game relies on d% and just straight d10 rolls to do everything. Usually with a built-in 10% chance to die.

Tell that to the people on BGG Facebook group who are eager to tell you about its deep, tactical gameplay. :allears:

I had to play a few games of it since my friend insisted it got better past the lion balls scenario. It did not.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

I watched the SUSD of KDM and it looked like a campaign game where you continually gently caress yourself into failing and restarting the whole campaign until you get bored and regret dropping hundreds of dollars.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Subjunctive posted:

*deep tentative breath*

Could you elaborate?

https://shop.kingdomdeath.com/collections/sold-out

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

*deep tentative breath*

Could you elaborate?

Forcibly breeding women is a game mechanic. There are tons of rapist monsters, most of them designed to be played with with only one hand. You can use a monster’s breast pump on women for game benefits. Like it’s really the kind of thing where the hole goes as deep as you look, and it keeps just getting worse.

@MrFibble good on you for admitting you were wrong and making the right choice. That’s difficult to do.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Chill la Chill posted:

Tell that to the people on BGG Facebook group who are eager to tell you about its deep, tactical gameplay. :allears:

A lot of membership crossover with the Age of Sigmar facebook groups then :v:

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Arivia posted:

@MrFibble good on you for admitting you were wrong and making the right choice. That’s difficult to do.

The more you look into Kingdom Death the harder it is to say 'well you can ignore the creepy stuff'. Learning about some of the non battle gameplay just put me off entirely.

But man, I'm willing to bet a non rapey game where you get 3-4 monsters + 4-5 sets of hunters outfitted in monster guts would sell almost as well.

Not real money betting of course because in reality a lot of people were buying the 'pin-up' models.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer

MrFlibble posted:

Not real money betting of course because in reality a lot of people were buying the 'pin-up' models.

Hell yes they did, I just looked the game up and they pulled in over 14 million dollars between the two Kickstarters. Jesus, I thought Gloomhaven was big at only just over 4 million.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Imagine how much money Root could rake in if it had mouse and fox tits stapled to everything.

And imagine how I'd have to burn my copies of Wehrle's infamous traffic and john company :negative:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rhandhali posted:

Hell yes they did, I just looked the game up and they pulled in over 14 million dollars between the two Kickstarters. Jesus, I thought Gloomhaven was big at only just over 4 million.

The Gloomhaven guy made one good game and just made that as good as it could be, as I understand it. There's like 10 actual expansions for Kingdom Death, the pinup models with extra rules bits, other models with more stuff, and so on. And Kingdom Death was incredibly expensive - $400 to Gloomhaven's $160 or so.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I just realized Gloom =/ Gloomhaven.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Arivia posted:

The Gloomhaven guy made one good game and just made that as good as it could be, as I understand it. There's like 10 actual expansions for Kingdom Death, the pinup models with extra rules bits, other models with more stuff, and so on. And Kingdom Death was incredibly expensive - $400 to Gloomhaven's $160 or so.
$99 Shipped for 2nd printing kickstarter.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Bombadilillo posted:

$99 Shipped for 2nd printing kickstarter.

I'd heard $160 as the retail price, to compare to the $400 I just saw on the Kingdom Death website.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I think they're shooting for $130-140, but I wouldn't be surprised to see $160. Either way obviously a much better alternative, both mechanically and uh, morally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo