Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

BACK to Tennessee?

Good god in heaven that'll never happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
If you’re looking for semi-realistic set your expectations on guys like Mullen and Patterson. Norvell, Frost...guys like that.

Or for more realism it’ll be some guy you have to google.

It’s not gonna be Gruden or Kiffin.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
I would be extremely surprised if Patterson left TCU but weirder poo poo has happened.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Well that’s why I said semi-realistic. I think he’s on the lower end but I know there’s been mutual interest there previously so I’m not entirely counting it out. If it happened I’d be incredibly happy.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I feel like the fanbase would burn down Neyland if they brought back Kiffin

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

vyst posted:

I feel like the fanbase would burn down Neyland if they brought back Kiffin

I think it is 50/50 fanbase wise. I would love if it was Kiffin, but it is too risky a move by the AD (I think the boosters would revolt).

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Vols bring back Kiffen, Jorts U brings back Zook

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Joey Freshwater posted:

If you’re looking for semi-realistic set your expectations on guys like Mullen and Patterson. Norvell, Frost...guys like that.

Or for more realism it’ll be some guy you have to google.

It’s not gonna be Gruden or Kiffin.

Patterson is less realistic than even Gruden. He’s been at TCU for almost 20 years. It isn’t because he was lacking other options. They’re in a major conference now and have regularly been in playoff contention, he doesn’t have any reason to leave.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

wernox posted:

Cheney is one of the most brilliant football coaches I've ever talked to

Chaney called a TE Sweep with AJ Derby :colbert: Politely getting him to find a new job is one of the few things Bert did right.

OC talk, Dan Enos is a real good OC and will probably be on the market once we fire Bert so if anyone's looking, check him out. Look at Brandon Allen's stats between his junior year under Chaney and his senior year under Enos. He took a QB most of the state was ready to be rid of (someone lit his truck on fire and two others that just had the misfortune of looking like it) and took him to a third string NFL spot. We went from dreading having to pass at the end of the game to begging him to be trusted on critical third downs.

HC talk, Arkansas's dream hire, though not mine, would be Gus. If Auburn hadn't beaten UGA I'd say it was a possibility, but that fanbase is super hot and cold with Gus and right now it's hot so I'm not sure we could pry him away. And once you remember we're on the hook for $4.5 million to Long and probably $7 million to Bert after firing him, buying out Gus is probably not possible. Mike Norvell from Memphis seems to be a guy a lot of folks want, including me. I think that's a sensible hire and probably one of the few we could actually afford at this point. We will have roughly $3 and a shoestring to buy out a currently employed coach.

Although, Les doesnt have a buyout... 🤔

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Since the rumor has been floated, I'm sure i'll be disappointed if we don't land Kelly (I know how unlikely it is)....

...my real hope aligns with Spencer's though:

https://twitter.com/edsbs/status/931182534121197570

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

chaoslord posted:

Chaney called a TE Sweep with AJ Derby :colbert: Politely getting him to find a new job is one of the few things Bert did right.

OC talk, Dan Enos is a real good OC and will probably be on the market once we fire Bert so if anyone's looking, check him out. Look at Brandon Allen's stats between his junior year under Chaney and his senior year under Enos. He took a QB most of the state was ready to be rid of (someone lit his truck on fire and two others that just had the misfortune of looking like it) and took him to a third string NFL spot. We went from dreading having to pass at the end of the game to begging him to be trusted on critical third downs.

HC talk, Arkansas's dream hire, though not mine, would be Gus. If Auburn hadn't beaten UGA I'd say it was a possibility, but that fanbase is super hot and cold with Gus and right now it's hot so I'm not sure we could pry him away. And once you remember we're on the hook for $4.5 million to Long and probably $7 million to Bert after firing him, buying out Gus is probably not possible. Mike Norvell from Memphis seems to be a guy a lot of folks want, including me. I think that's a sensible hire and probably one of the few we could actually afford at this point. We will have roughly $3 and a shoestring to buy out a currently employed coach.

Although, Les doesnt have a buyout... 🤔

I’m still so mad Derby left Iowa because he refused to play anything other than QB and then made the goddamn NFL as a tight end.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

LeeMajors posted:

Since the rumor has been floated, I'm sure i'll be disappointed if we don't land Kelly (I know how unlikely it is)....

...my real hope aligns with Spencer's though:

https://twitter.com/edsbs/status/931182534121197570

I'd still be pretty happy with Frost, or Willie Taggart. Florida could buy out Taggart for only $3MM!

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

MourningView posted:

Patterson is less realistic than even Gruden. He’s been at TCU for almost 20 years. It isn’t because he was lacking other options. They’re in a major conference now and have regularly been in playoff contention, he doesn’t have any reason to leave.
Very few P5 coaches go from one P5 gig to another without, you know, losing their job, as well. And going from the top of the Big 12 to the middle of the SEC East sounds less than appealing, especially when you've spend two decades cultivating recruiting relationships in Texas.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

wernox posted:

I don't know why anyone on earth would do that. Cheney is one of the most brilliant football coaches I've ever talked to, people just don't like it because he has no problem with winning a game 24-17 and will play very conservatively if he trusts his defense.

He has always fought his weight.....I mean he's no Mangino, but other than his stint with the Rams he's always been pretty close. I'm sure its kept him from being a head coach.

For what it's worth, Smart wanted to hire Enos and Pittman initially, but Enos had a no compete clause versus other SEC teams while Pittman didn't. Pittman wasn't going to jump ship for Smart alone, so Cheney got floated out there and due to their history, Pittman made the move. I think from an offensive philosophy, Smart likes a lot of what Enos runs and his commitment to running the dang ball and we can get a close aproximation with Cheney. Cheney has been much better this year than last year, not counting the Auburn game, so I don't think the knives are totally out for him, but it would have been interesting to see what Enos would have done at UGA

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
If we're being honest, UGA's offense is so unbalanced right now I'm not sure how much more running the dang ball you could do. They were talking like 40% of UGA's yards are from passing and their hasn't been a national title winner since Nebraska in the mid-90s to have a ratio that skewed and still win. Alabama came close a couple of years but lost the title game in each year they were. I mean, gently caress, Fromm passed 7 times in the Florida game.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/brett_mcmurphy/status/931200620400467968

Bill Snyder is gonna die on the sidelines trying to get his dumb son this job. Also them going after Leavitt makes me think the longstanding rumor about Venebals just waiting for the chance to go back to KState is probably BS and that he’s content being a DC for life.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

vikingstrike posted:

If we're being honest, UGA's offense is so unbalanced right now I'm not sure how much more running the dang ball you could do. They were talking like 40% of UGA's yards are from passing and their hasn't been a national title winner since Nebraska in the mid-90s to have a ratio that skewed and still win. Alabama came close a couple of years but lost the title game in each year they were. I mean, gently caress, Fromm passed 7 times in the Florida game.

Yeah, I didn't mean that as a slight to how little we are running the dang ball, because we are seriously running the dang ball a whole lot, perhaps to our detriment.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

vikingstrike posted:

UGA Complaints About The Offensive Coordinator® have now shifted from RUN THE GAWD DANG BALL BOBO to WE SHOULD BE DOING SCREENS CHANEY.

I thought UGA's offense was such an aesthetic abortion last season that I would've been fine if Chaney got the boot after year 1 except for the fact that it would've meant 4 OCs in 4 years in Athens. And really, he was just running what Kirby had tasked him to do; it was Kirby's fault philosophically that we were trying to shove square pegs into round holes.

This year has been better because the OL is better and the skill guys are healthy/better and the QB makes better decisions (sorry Jacob). UGA at least has the horses to ground bad teams into dust, which they simply couldn't do last season cough Nicholls State cough. But they're not quite there yet, as evidenced by EVERYTHING in the Auburn game. I see no reason to move on from Chaney at this point though dammit I miss flangin' the ball around :(

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

As a Wisconsin fan

RUN THE DANG BALL

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

KKKLIP ART posted:

Yeah, I didn't mean that as a slight to how little we are running the dang ball, because we are seriously running the dang ball a whole lot, perhaps to our detriment.

Purge the heretic! :commissar:

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

MourningView posted:

https://twitter.com/brett_mcmurphy/status/931200620400467968

Bill Snyder is gonna die on the sidelines trying to get his dumb son this job. Also them going after Leavitt makes me think the longstanding rumor about Venebals just waiting for the chance to go back to KState is probably BS and that he’s content being a DC for life.

Hey whatever keeps Bill Snyder coaching the longest before KSU's inevitable return to all lovely all the time. People not named Bill Snyder can't win just using JUCO players from around Kansas that nobody else really wanted.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
https://twitter.com/c_lundy1/status/931207228979326976

lol what the hell

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

D.N. Nation posted:

UGA Complaints About The Offensive Coordinator® have now shifted from RUN THE GAWD DANG BALL BOBO to WE SHOULD BE DOING SCREENS CHANEY.

I thought UGA's offense was such an aesthetic abortion last season that I would've been fine if Chaney got the boot after year 1 except for the fact that it would've meant 4 OCs in 4 years in Athens. And really, he was just running what Kirby had tasked him to do; it was Kirby's fault philosophically that we were trying to shove square pegs into round holes.

This year has been better because the OL is better and the skill guys are healthy/better and the QB makes better decisions (sorry Jacob). UGA at least has the horses to ground bad teams into dust, which they simply couldn't do last season cough Nicholls State cough. But they're not quite there yet, as evidenced by EVERYTHING in the Auburn game. I see no reason to move on from Chaney at this point though dammit I miss flangin' the ball around :(

OL is gonna need to play big for the rest of the season to keep things in check. I think the UK game Saturday will be quite telling.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Real Name Grover posted:

lol what the hell

This is amazing and I hope beyond hope it's all a troll.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
He has to be trolling at this point. I don’t believe he’s going to be the coach and he hasn’t outright denied it.

I read that he specifically asked those guys to not ask him about UT and then he brought it up anyway.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

hes absolutely trolling and it owns

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

I legit would be fine with Kiffykins coming back to Rocky Top. He never should have left.

It won't happen, but it would be far from the worst hire they could make. Which is really my biggest struggle this cycle, I don't think there are many coaches you can pry from a P5 spot, or would want to take from the G5 this year.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Tennessee_Volunteers_football_team

Up and down, mediocre season, but they had a respectable loss to #1 Florida, another respectable loss to #1 Alabama (you can't just say that "if it weren't for Terrence Cody," because Bama kinda let the Vols back in the game themselves), and blasted da fuk out of Georgia and South Carolina in Knoxville. Recruiting was good. I remember thinking that Kiffin was going to be a pain to deal with for the foreseeable future and then d'oh

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

https://twitter.com/suckmyvols/status/931256964465807367

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Reddit is losing their minds over a plane that just left Atlanta headed for Knoxville that Gruden is apparently on. This is hilarious.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
My dick will explode if Florida gets Chip or Frost while Tennessee gets Gruden. It's too much I cant handle all that goodness.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I hope Kiffin goes back to Tenn, then bails for another job in like 2 years

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I hope Kiffin goes back to Tenn, then bails for another job in like 2 years

For USC again, because why not.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
With as insane as this fan base has shown it is recently Kiffin would be murdered in his sleep.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
If you want the FAU version of Kiffin you’re also gonna have to sell your soul and agree to take Briles as the OC. Which sadly I’m sure someone will

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
A buddy of mine just texted me saying he has a friend in the Chancellor’s office and they’re announcing the new HC tonight 🙄

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

I just joined 4.5k viewers of a stake out of a plane (spoiler Gruden wasn’t on it).

Edit: college football is insane.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Joey Freshwater posted:

With as insane as this fan base has shown it is recently Kiffin would be murdered in his sleep.

Literally overheard someone say they'd beat him up if they saw him on the street.

Now if you'll excuse me, these planes aren't going to watch themselves!

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

an adult beverage posted:

My dick will explode if Florida gets Chip or Frost while Tennessee gets Gruden. It's too much I cant handle all that goodness.

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

wonder where big dick charlie ergen is in all this

• Locked thread