Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I like Harry Potter but I'm not like, huge into it or anything. I did really like the first movie though and I'm really looking forward to this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
A Quiet Place just got a teaser, and it seems pretty interesting.

If they go the boring-rear end "the things hunting them are just humans and humanity is the real bad guy" route, I'm gonna be pissed, though.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I never saw the first one and I probably never will (same goes for the sequel) but I'm sure Harry Potter marks will eat that poo poo up. I know some personally. They're not interested in judging the movie with an unbiased approach. Even if it's tangentially related to Harry Potter, it's automatically the best poo poo ever.

I imagine you saying this with a red wine in the hand and a sneer in your face for maximum condensation for "those" people.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Does anyone actually know what Roman J. Israel Esq. is actually about? I've seen trailers that portray it as a lighthearted stand against the system, a taut crime thriller and a depressing study about the corrupting influence of power.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Wonder if they'll go ahead and give Dumbledore comment on Dumbledore's love interest

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Does anyone actually know what Roman J. Israel Esq. is actually about? I've seen trailers that portray it as a lighthearted stand against the system, a taut crime thriller and a depressing study about the corrupting influence of power.

No clue but I'm amused by the idea of Denzel as Wayne Williams.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I like Harry Potter ok but I was maybe interested in the movie for 1920s New York

Its done terribly, I've seen more convincing 1920s NY in a kid's diorama

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
My honest reaction to the end reveal of Fantastic Creatures was "Johnny Depp is in this? Oh." I lost all interest in the series.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 16, 2017

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Decius posted:

I imagine you saying this with a red wine in the hand and a sneer in your face for maximum condensation for "those" people.
I liked some of the Harry Potter movies but the entire series has problems and I'd by no means proclaim that it's perfect unlike some people I know :shobon:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Shageletic posted:

Its done terribly, I've seen more convincing 1920s NY in a kid's diorama

You too? My elementary school was never the same after "Fart Deco" shattered our primitive definitions of what dioramas could really be.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Decius posted:

maximum condensation

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

First official photo of the cast of Fantastic Beasts, Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald

First thing I thought of when seeing the picture:

It's not too late Universal, you can save the franchise!

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

The cool part of the first Fantastic Beasts was the American Magic system failed and created a child who became a monster, and then he was summarily executed by the same American Magic government despite Our Hero beginning to get through to him. Also they are bringing back the human who had his brain wiped at the end, I wonder if it will be a running gag that he gets brainwiped at the end of each movie.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Fifty First Harry Potter's

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

not trolled not crying posted:

the wand in Crowe's hand

:discourse:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Tars Tarkas posted:

The cool part of the first Fantastic Beasts was the American Magic system failed and created a child who became a monster, and then he was summarily executed by the same American Magic government despite Our Hero beginning to get through to him.

Well, he’s in the sequel, so I guess he got better?

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Tars Tarkas posted:

The cool part of the first Fantastic Beasts was the American Magic system failed and created a child who became a monster, and then he was summarily executed by the same American Magic government despite Our Hero beginning to get through to him. Also they are bringing back the human who had his brain wiped at the end, I wonder if it will be a running gag that he gets brainwiped at the end of each movie.

He wasn't really/fully wiped, he clearly remembered when Queenie entered the bakery. And I'm glad he's back, he was the best part of the ho-hum first movie.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

SunshineDanceParty posted:

My honest reaction to the end reveal of Fantastic Creatures was "Johnny Depp is in in this? Oh." I lost all interest in the series.

Yep. Especially since Colin Farrell had been doing a great job right up until that point.

Give me more Wizard Fascist Farrell, damnit.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Phylodox posted:

Well, he’s in the sequel, so I guess he got better?

Ha, I didn't even see him in there, lol the American magic squad can't do anything right!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Decius posted:

He wasn't really/fully wiped, he clearly remembered when Queenie entered the bakery. And I'm glad he's back, he was the best part of the ho-hum first movie.

Agree completely. I was surprised how much I liked that character and his little romance.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Tars Tarkas posted:

Ha, I didn't even see him in there, lol the American magic squad can't do anything right!

He probably accidentally Horcrux'd

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Fried Watermelon posted:

He probably accidentally Horcrux'd

He cast a little known spell called becamius famious.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

MacheteZombie posted:

the wand in Crowe's hand

:discourse:

Does Russel Crowe just not exist in the same dimension as us and must be photoshopped into everything?

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

mycot posted:

Does Russel Crowe just not exist in the same dimension as us and must be photoshopped into everything?
edit- Im dumb as gently caress

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Decius posted:

Yeah, he was by far the best part and I spent the whole film wondering where I knew him from and it was Balls of Fury plus a bunch of other stuff but mainly Balls of Fury.

Edit: omg I'm so dumb

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

mycot posted:

That was the joke, the picture looked as unnatural as the Dark Universe promo so I just photoshopped them all into one. That's a film I would see. Maybe.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

I think i says something that everyone (even me!) was willing to believe Russell Crowe was part of this cast.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

That was the joke, the picture looked as unnatural as the Dark Universe promo so I just photoshopped them all into one. That's a film I would see. Maybe.

Oh, Photoshop! That's why Tom Cruise looks so tall.

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

Tars Tarkas posted:

I think i says something that everyone (even me!) was willing to believe Russell Crowe was part of this cast.

I thought the Johnny Depp Double would have given it a way at least.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

lmao

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I never saw the first one and I probably never will (same goes for the sequel) but I'm sure Harry Potter marks will eat that poo poo up. I know some personally. They're not interested in judging the movie with an unbiased approach. Even if it's tangentially related to Harry Potter, it's automatically the best poo poo ever.

I'm not so sure. My wife is a huge HP fan and disliked both Fantastic Beasts and the Cursed Child book.

I think it must have something to do with book famdom vs say, comics or movie fandom like DC or Star Wars fan. Waay lower bar cuz of all the trash.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

I thought the Johnny Depp Double would have given it a way at least.

I just went along with that being his "handsome" form as he spent the prior film hidden in another form, plus Dumbledore is supposed to crush on him

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Thundercracker posted:

I'm not so sure. My wife is a huge HP fan and disliked both Fantastic Beasts and the Cursed Child book.

I think it must have something to do with book famdom vs say, comics or movie fandom like DC or Star Wars fan. Waay lower bar cuz of all the trash.

Both of them feel pretty distinctly un-Harry-Potter. Regardless of what you think about JK Rowling's strengths/weaknesses as a writer she has a pretty distinctive style of dialogue and writing (and she IS good at individual dialogue if nothing else.) Fantastic Beasts and Cursed Child sound nothing like her (cuz they're not) and so it stands out.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Rampage is supposed to drop a trailer today, but until then we got a poster:

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

My thoughts while looking at this:

"Wait...where is Tom Cru...LOL"

Edit: Scientology Beasts: What Are Your Crimes?

(Sorry, I just find that title ridiculous given the current political/cinematographical climate)

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Nov 16, 2017

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Tars Tarkas posted:

Rampage is supposed to drop a trailer today, but until then we got a poster:

Holy poo poo this is based on the old 80s arcade game. What a world.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Watching Fantastic Beasts was a funny experience. It wasn't good, but Ezra Miller and Colin Farrell were keeping me kinda interested, and then Colin Farrell turns into Johnny Depp at the end. It was like the direct opposite of a sequel hook.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

ImpAtom posted:

Both of them feel pretty distinctly un-Harry-Potter. Regardless of what you think about JK Rowling's strengths/weaknesses as a writer she has a pretty distinctive style of dialogue and writing (and she IS good at individual dialogue if nothing else.) Fantastic Beasts and Cursed Child sound nothing like her (cuz they're not) and so it stands out.

She wrote the script for Fantastic Beasts. It wasn't adapted by someone else.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I read the synopsis for Cursed Child on Wikipedia. It literally sounds like lovely fanfiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

First official photo of the cast of Fantastic Beasts, Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald

From left to right: Albus Dumbledore (Jude Law), Credence (Ezra Miller), Maledictus (Claudia Kim), Leta Lestrange (Zoe Kravitz), Theseus Scamander (Callum Turner), Tina Goldstein (Katherine Waterson), Newt Scamander (Eddie Redmayne), Jacob Kowalski (Dan Fogler), Queenie Goldstein (Alison Sudol), and Gellert Grindelwald (Johnny Depp).

And the synopsis

Is scheduled to release in exactly one year, November 16 2018

Callum Turner is eight years younger than Redmayne and yet is playing his older brother, lol.

• Locked thread