Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Nibble posted:

I'm thinking about jumping in for the season journey, but I'm torn between Monk and Wiz. Monk was my first class and I haven't revisited it in a while, but I really enjoyed blowing up full screens of mobs from afar a couple of seasons ago with DH, and Wiz seems like more of that.

Both Uliana's and Vyr's seem like fun sets to me, and I really just play solo to get the season achievements, so I'm not concerned with pushing extreme GR levels. I see a lot of comments here about Monk but far less about Wiz, is Vyr's bad to the point that people are skipping it this season or just not that noteworthy?

Vyr's blows but it shouldn't take you long to set up a proper Firebird or Tal meteor build. Both benefit a lot from getting right up in their face and unleashing everything. Aint nothin' ranged about it.

:getin:

https://i.imgur.com/ovMVU5a.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Vyr's blows but it shouldn't take you long to set up a proper Firebird or Tal meteor build. Both benefit a lot from getting right up in their face and unleashing everything. Aint nothin' ranged about it.

:getin:

https://i.imgur.com/ovMVU5a.gifv

Do console players get massacre bonuses in GRs?

How does that build work? I don't see that many spellcasts but a ton of meteors. Where are all these flaming balls of magma coming from"?

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

The Wonder Weapon posted:

With all the gear and skill changes, are there any builds that are playable now that weren't before? I notice Tempest Rush got several buffs, for instance.

I know it's Diablo and "play whatever you want" but still am curious about what's gotten better.
The list of easy GR75+ builds is now really, really, REALLY long. The patch notes list all the stuff that got buffed, so it's basically pick a set, pick some supporting items, and go kill stuff.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

twice burned ice posted:

Do console players get massacre bonuses in GRs?

How does that build work? I don't see that many spellcasts but a ton of meteors. Where are all these flaming balls of magma coming from"?

Yes, consoles get the same bonuses. Nephalim orbs give us bonus damage for a short bit instead of speed though.

I teleport in with Calamity (arcane)
I mash Frost Nova (Ice)
You can see both those go cooldown
I tap Meteor cast (fire)
I press and hold Arcane Torrent for the final proc (lightning)

Etched Sigil means Meteor auto-casts from my holding of Arcane Torrent.

One of the meteor runes is meteor shower, 7 smaller meteors that randomly impact around a target.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Nov 16, 2017

mewse
May 2, 2006

The Wonder Weapon posted:

With all the gear and skill changes, are there any builds that are playable now that weren't before? I notice Tempest Rush got several buffs, for instance.

I know it's Diablo and "play whatever you want" but still am curious about what's gotten better.

Tempest rush is one of the 3 skills that Sunwuko can buff hugely, and it's semi-viable now, but it's still not as good as LTK or WoL

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

pc players dont get massacre bonuses in GRs

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Efexeye posted:

pc players dont get massacre bonuses in GRs

Oh? That seems like an odd omission. It's just experience so I wonder why they turn that off.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

PC players also don't see health bars until they've lost some, at least I haven't found away to always show health bars, I wish I had that.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Oh? That seems like an odd omission. It's just experience so I wonder why they turn that off.

There are a few pieces of gear that interact with Massacre Bonuses too, right? I can't imagine any of them are too powerful to allow in Grifts though.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Nfcknblvbl posted:

PC players also don't see health bars until they've lost some, at least I haven't found away to always show health bars, I wish I had that.

eh, you should be staring at your cooldowns anyway :)

Hawzy
Dec 13, 2002

standoff says: Furious Charge deals increased damage equal to 400-500% of bonus movement speed.

if I have 25% movement speed from paragon does having extra movement speed on boots/necklace/etc contribute to this bonus at all?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Hawzy posted:

standoff says: Furious Charge deals increased damage equal to 400-500% of bonus movement speed.

if I have 25% movement speed from paragon does having extra movement speed on boots/necklace/etc contribute to this bonus at all?

Paragon Points and Gear Rolls (Boots, Rings, etc.) can only contribute a maximum of 25% movement speed

Skills can also increase movement speed above that 25%

Certain Legendary Gems can also increase movement speed above that 25%

Certain Gear Set Bonuses (not rolls!) can also increase movement speed above that 25%

Anything that gets you to or above that 25% will contribute to that damage bonus!

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry
Bit of a slow start this season with Crusader. Somehow managed to find Akkhan set + all the crucial gear for Holy Shotgun build, but still haven't seen a single Johanna's flail or obsidian ring to make hammers work, so I thought I'd try that to do T10 rifts without dying all the time and...this is pretty terrible.

Aside from still only having poo poo jewellery (no CoE or endless walk set yet) and not nearly enough CDR to keep Akarat up (which is fixable eventually), it seems there's no way of delivering real damage on demand - it's all from the block procs, right?

Sure, when something is hitting me it goes down fast, block chance is high enough, but that seems a bit finicky, and forces you to keep moving around to face things.

And goblins, Jesus. Those don't attack at all, so how are you supposed to deal with them? Not to mention bloody Urzael - he doesn't really attack with anything you want to be getting hit by, so I just spent 5 minutes plinking away at that fucker with Punish & the occasional fury for a bounty.

What am I missing with this?

Maybe I should just roll a Barbarian to make use of all the strength gear, apparently that's the hot poo poo this season?

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

xiansi posted:

Bit of a slow start this season with Crusader. Somehow managed to find Akkhan set + all the crucial gear for Holy Shotgun build, but still haven't seen a single Johanna's flail or obsidian ring to make hammers work, so I thought I'd try that to do T10 rifts without dying all the time and...this is pretty terrible.

Aside from still only having poo poo jewellery (no CoE or endless walk set yet) and not nearly enough CDR to keep Akarat up (which is fixable eventually), it seems there's no way of delivering real damage on demand - it's all from the block procs, right?

Sure, when something is hitting me it goes down fast, block chance is high enough, but that seems a bit finicky, and forces you to keep moving around to face things.

And goblins, Jesus. Those don't attack at all, so how are you supposed to deal with them? Not to mention bloody Urzael - he doesn't really attack with anything you want to be getting hit by, so I just spent 5 minutes plinking away at that fucker with Punish & the occasional fury for a bounty.

What am I missing with this?

Maybe I should just roll a Barbarian to make use of all the strength gear, apparently that's the hot poo poo this season?
The so-called "lazy shotgun" build is basically what you've described, yeah. It's pretty much entirely reactive and only really works in density in rifts (and the Shield of Fury is temporarily disabled right now so it's artificially weaker than it should be on top of that). If you want to do other stuff with it, you're probably going to have to use the actual shotgun rune so that you can pro-actively hit things - though that will cause a toughness loss from lack of Aquila..

On the other hand, I can attest that the Condemn build is hilarious and shits all over everything. My gear is still pretty mediocre for it, and I'm using some kludged-together stuff (Leoric's in cube, CDR roll on amulet, Justice Lantern + Hold Your Ground, that sort of thing) to make it go smoothly... and smooth it is. It's basically a WW barb that clicks more often when you're in TXIII (use Unleashed) and I can sleepwalk through 65s with my speed options still on.

As a side note, The Thrill is absolutely trivial with Condemn. Throw on the weapon and shield and you can basically do it in yellows otherwise.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

bio347 posted:

The so-called "lazy shotgun" build is basically what you've described, yeah. It's pretty much entirely reactive and only really works in density in rifts (and the Shield of Fury is temporarily disabled right now so it's artificially weaker than it should be on top of that). If you want to do other stuff with it, you're probably going to have to use the actual shotgun rune so that you can pro-actively hit things - though that will cause a toughness loss from lack of Aquila..

On the other hand, I can attest that the Condemn build is hilarious and shits all over everything. My gear is still pretty mediocre for it, and I'm using some kludged-together stuff (Leoric's in cube, CDR roll on amulet, Justice Lantern + Hold Your Ground, that sort of thing) to make it go smoothly... and smooth it is. It's basically a WW barb that clicks more often when you're in TXIII (use Unleashed) and I can sleepwalk through 65s with my speed options still on.

As a side note, The Thrill is absolutely trivial with Condemn. Throw on the weapon and shield and you can basically do it in yellows otherwise.

I guess this?

https://www.icy-veins.com/d3/crusader-akkhan-condemn-build-patch-2-6-1-season-12

Looks like fun - you can't go far wrong with "build up a massive explosion"!

Have most of the stuff, and a Furnace just dropped for me (remember when that was amazing?), so it's worth a go before I abandon Crusader.

Of course I am lacking a Blade of Prophecy, so I expect trying for that will now deliver me an endless stream of Faithful Memory swords that it took so long to get one of...

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

xiansi posted:

I guess this?

https://www.icy-veins.com/d3/crusader-akkhan-condemn-build-patch-2-6-1-season-12

Looks like fun - you can't go far wrong with "build up a massive explosion"!

Have most of the stuff, and a Furnace just dropped for me (remember when that was amazing?), so it's worth a go before I abandon Crusader.

Of course I am lacking a Blade of Prophecy, so I expect trying for that will now deliver me an endless stream of Faithful Memory swords that it took so long to get one of...
~ish, yeah. It's a lot of fun, highly recommend.

- I would generally recommend using the Furnace in your hand over the Blade of Prophecy, because BoP has a much higher variation on its legendary property (though if you find a good one, it doesn't matter overmuch). I think I've found more Furnaces than Blades this season anyhow.
- Aquila in the cube is questionable because it can be difficult to keep up, even with Long Arm of the Law and Unstoppable Force. I use Leoric's, especially early, so that you have an easier time hitting perma-Akarat.
- Two Unity rings is a giant pain. I haven't found even one yet, so I run a Justice Lantern in the cube with Hold Your Ground over LAotL. It's good enough for TXIII, though for higher stuff you'll definitely be squishier. If you don't have F&R yet, something I did for a while was Justice Lantern and Convention of Elements equipped, Obsidian Ring of the Zodiac cubed. It's a bit odd, but actually works pretty well while you're working on your CDR.
- Diamonds in your chest and pants help a ton, Finery basically makes up the difference.
- IMO, use Condemn/Unleashed for everything except pushing. You'll probably be one-shotting most stuff anyway, and the instant explosion is just so satisfying. Also means you can wear Nemesis instead of Strongarm, which is nice for DBs.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

I haven't played D3 in a while, since like season 6? But I just found this a week ago, and I'm loving shilling away for it, because it's basically Greater Rifts: The Game: On Your Phone: While You poo poo:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3659022&perpage=40&pagenumber=512#post478502574

No multiplayer yet, but apparently an alpha of multiplayer was mentioned earlier this year so a solid maybe. And when/if that day comes, I will powerlevel the gently caress out of people the way season HC players did for me.

e: posting this here since the philistines in the iOS thread can't appreciate smashing their face into a grift over and over to make numbers get bigger to smash their face harder into the next grift

Tempora Mutantur fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Nov 18, 2017

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

bazomatic posted:

I haven't played D3 in a while, since like season 6? But I just found this a week ago, and I'm loving shilling away for it, because it's basically Greater Rifts: The Game: On Your Phone: While You poo poo:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3659022&perpage=40&pagenumber=512#post478502574

No multiplayer yet, but apparently an alpha of multiplayer was mentioned earlier this year so a solid maybe. And when/if that day comes, I will powerlevel the gently caress out of people the way season HC players did for me.

e: posting this here since the philistines in the iOS thread can't appreciate smashing their face into a grift over and over to make numbers get bigger to smash their face harder into the next grift

Making Fun is a lovely game company. gently caress your mobile shitgame.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Toshimo posted:

Making Fun is a lovely game company. gently caress your mobile shitgame.

I didn't know this, care to elaborate? I'd rather tear some posts down if they're legit horrible, cause Eternium is a pretty great timekiller. poo poo, it doesn't even ask for any extra permissions, at least on Android.

e: son of a bitch NewsCorp allegedly bought them, but I can only find a 2011 article about it and their main website doesn't have any content prior to 2015, so I wanna believe that Fox isn't yet again benefiting from something I like that they will surely gently caress up horribly

Tempora Mutantur fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Nov 18, 2017

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

bazomatic posted:

I didn't know this, care to elaborate? I'd rather tear some posts down if they're legit horrible, cause Eternium is a pretty great timekiller. poo poo, it doesn't even ask for any extra permissions, at least on Android.

e: son of a bitch NewsCorp allegedly bought them, but I can only find a 2011 article about it and their main website doesn't have any content prior to 2015, so I wanna believe that Fox isn't yet again benefiting from something I like that they will surely gently caress up horribly

For instance, Making Fun tied up the license for Dominion Online for 2 years constantly promising a code rewrite after picking the existing code up from Goko. They never delivered. The Steam Greenlight version: never delivered.

But they still kept collecting money like clockwork. Delivered basically nothing, lost the license, then all the apps they sold bricked.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Toshimo posted:

For instance, Making Fun tied up the license for Dominion Online for 2 years constantly promising a code rewrite after picking the existing code up from Goko. They never delivered. The Steam Greenlight version: never delivered.

But they still kept collecting money like clockwork. Delivered basically nothing, lost the license, then all the apps they sold bricked.

You're right though, MakingFun seems like a terrible publisher, and terrible publishing is definitely NewsCorps' standard operating procedure. Well that's lovely, but I definitely appreciate the work of DreamPrimer, the dev team who actually coded the game who (I'm assuming due to MakingFun) isn't even allowed to show their identity online?

There are some minor issues with the game, like how DoTs and disables can be placed on you, but there is no real visual indicator; just have to figure out what can stun/burn you, and make sure you either dodge it consistently or have enough life-on-hit.

On the other hand, can you really deny the lure of Havoc Pants?

It's a game that has a great touchscreen interface for playing ARPGs on your phone. It's super simplistic. I really don't think it's exaggerating to say the game is Greater Rifting distilled. It's honestly astounding that Blizzard isn't suing them into the ground, especially with the model for Mogram. It really sucks that lovely people are making money off the sale of the game; hopefully the devs themselves are decent people, since they definitely made a nifty game, if not mindless.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

My new friend for both spinning and winning:

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
I went from punching and exploding people on my monk to throwing down bells and it is hilarious seeing mobs die in one hit on GR 70+ rifts. So if anyone can help moving to Sunwuko set on a monk please do so. You can thank me later.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Mind over Matter posted:

My new friend for both spinning and winning:

Nice!!!

(gently caress youuuuuuu)

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I found out the other day that someone I know quit playing Diablo III when Reaper of Souls dropped because he couldn't make money on the auction house anymore, so he went back to Diablo II where he still can.

I should also mention that most people also really don't like him and he's a known scumbag.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Katamari Democracy posted:

I went from punching and exploding people on my monk to throwing down bells and it is hilarious seeing mobs die in one hit on GR 70+ rifts. So if anyone can help moving to Sunwuko set on a monk please do so. You can thank me later.

I actually started going Sunwuko last night, so so much better than EP-SSS. I don't know if something was just bugged with my setup, but it felt like my U6 bonus was not working and struggling even at 60. Going even poor half-builded Sunwuko was immediately twice as effective at least.

The only problem is I cannot get a god drat Tzo Krin to save my life and easily spent 5k shards and mostly get yellow helms . I have everything else for the most part (and a few ancients) with decent rolls. Now one of the things I'm struggling with is survivability, especially trying GR70 solo right now, I just instantly pop. I pretty much this build sans a second Unity which I understand is a big part of survivability, but still, drat.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I'm up to GR 89 with SWK and yeah you do a ridiculous amount of damage but you die if someone even looks your way.

Thorg
Jan 1, 2007
Thorg hungry! Thorg want eat!

Xaris posted:

The only problem is I cannot get a god drat Tzo Krin to save my life and easily spent 5k shards and mostly get yellow helms.

Have you tried upgrading rare spirit stones in the cube? That's what I usually end up doing on seasons I play Monk.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

bamhand posted:

I'm up to GR 89 with SWK and yeah you do a ridiculous amount of damage but you die if someone even looks your way.
I think this is just... sort of what happens, now. Overall, damage got boosted waaaaaaaaay more than toughness, so your ability to do things is basically predicated on your ability to survive.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Builds that rely on Unity and/or Convention of Elements are both... bad

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

CoE is cool and good, actually

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Circle of Elements was too good. If every single top build for like 4 seasons across all 6 classes is based around one item...

Unity is weird too but I understand it’s place in the game

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
CoE is stupid and paying attention to a little element icon or worse, setting a loving timer for the right proc sucks rear end

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Sir this is Mickey's Kitchen, we don't have a drive-through

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

bio347 posted:

I think this is just... sort of what happens, now. Overall, damage got boosted waaaaaaaaay more than toughness, so your ability to do things is basically predicated on your ability to survive.

Is it? I did GR90 with 0 deaths on the DH. Haven't tried with other classes though.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

bamhand posted:

I haven't looked at the build but Quinn send to think it was super tanky when he was doing this hardcore push.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
There are a lot of builds which if you check diablofans are extremely fragile designed for clearing 100+ or playing with a zdps in a group, but you can typically get a lot of defense by giving up a surprisingly small amount of damage, like the HOTA build has magefists in the cube when you can run aquila cuirass, builds with a HFA instead of an eye of elitch, swapping your worst DPS gem for Esoteric Alteration etc.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Dum Cumpster posted:

I haven't looked at the build but Quinn send to think it was super tanky when he was doing this hardcore push.

Quinn’s playing Diablo 3 again?!? Holy Moley

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Builds that rely on Unity and/or Convention of Elements are both... bad

Once again, you are very wrong and also owned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

CoE is stupid and paying attention to a little element icon or worse, setting a loving timer for the right proc sucks rear end

I pay attention to none of my active buffs ever, and that goes double for the coe switch.
I honestly only remember I have it on when I look in my inventory or stand idle in town