Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Pentaro posted:

You can beat the game without rescuing the princess!? That's so messed up.

Well, now that I think about it, you only needed her to help pinpoint the thingy in the middle of the poison marsh.

My first time watching TASes of the game, I was surprised both by the fact that this is possible, and by the fact that the programming of the game accounts for this possibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

univbee posted:

Yeah, it's impossible to overstate how massive Dragon Quest is in Japan and more or less always has been. Hell, the very first Nintendo Power issue (1988) has a picture/mini-article of Japanese queues circling the block to get a copy of Dragon Quest III.

It's my understanding that so many people skip work when a new DQ game comes out, companies will take a day off and treat it like a holiday because they have no other real choice. I think Squeenix has also been pressured to release the games on a weekend instead of mid-week?

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

Jamesman posted:

It's my understanding that so many people skip work when a new DQ game comes out, companies will take a day off and treat it like a holiday because they have no other real choice. I think Squeenix has also been pressured to release the games on a weekend instead of mid-week?

IIRC it's less pressure and more Enix being like "well we should be responsible and put it out on weekends to minimize the country-wide loss in productivity"

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Obviously, Yuji Horii will be standing over Arino's shoulder as the episode's guest AD and mocks him continuously.

Phone posted:

It's so good.

(As well as the dq11 commercial)

Here's the commercial for anyone who hasn't seen it. It's genuinely great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVw3sNzFr5I

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

Goddrat, I love DQ. :allears:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

Obviously, Yuji Horii will be standing over Arino's shoulder as the episode's guest AD and mocks him continuously.

oh MAN next time I shoot off at the mouth about advertising "not working on me" or whatever just rub this in my face :kimchi:

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

That didn't really make it clear why Japan loves Draqon Quest, but it's probably one of those "you had to be there" things. After all, the first main series game released in Europe was DQ VIII in 2006 for the PS2. (Final Fantasy fared a bit better, albeit not much: first official release in PAL was FF7 in 1997.)

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The Dragon Quest in Europe thing was also amusing in that they initially dropped all numbering so the games were only differentiated by their subtitle, which was also unique in each language so good luck figuring out which game was which.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I think DQ8 was also the game Arino played in Cannes? Créer un nouveau journal and all that.

e: I had to check, it is. And I still love the game store owner's reaction to the Arino figure. Is there a feasible chance on buying that anywhere nowadays?

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 17, 2017

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Help Im Alive posted:

I feel like I've seen Arino say a couple times that's he's a fan of the Dragon Quest games

The article where I read about the DQ episode said that Arino's been playing Dragon Quest XI and Super Mario Odyssey in his personal time.

FreezingInferno posted:

IIRC it's less pressure and more Enix being like "well we should be responsible and put it out on weekends to minimize the country-wide loss in productivity"

I believe the government asked them to release it on weekends to cut down o0n kids skipping school.

Random Stranger posted:

That's a great commercial, but it sorta feels like it should have been for 10, not 11..

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

TeaJay posted:

After all, the first main series game released in Europe was DQ VIII in 2006 for the PS2. (Final Fantasy fared a bit better, albeit not much: first official release in PAL was FF7 in 1997.)

We did get Final Fantasy Adventure, as Mystic Quest, and then Mystic Quest itself as Mystic Quest Legend!

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Kakaricho posted:

That's a great commercial, but it sorta feels like it should have been for 10, not 11..
It was probably made to tie into the fact 2016 was DQ's 30th anniversary

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I absolutely adore Dragon Quest (or Dragon Warrior as it was called when I was a kid), so that commercial works really well on me, even though I don't understand what they're saying. The nostalgia is the same, though.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
DQ is the best---even if they still haven't achieved the promised land of a high fidelity ARPG spinoff that is 1000% of the dramatic/tension and aesthetic finery that is a game made from mashing up the best bits of the Dai(especially) and Abel DQ anime series~ The tech is surely (about) there!

Jakespeare
May 10, 2013
I remember deliberately avoiding RPG games when I was a kiddo, at the time personally deeming it too slow of a genre that lacked action. But then after getting a free copy of Dragon Quest in the mail with my fresh subscription to Nintendo Power, I quickly changed my tune

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
I have a unisex XL of the Kibe-Zari shirt to give away, if anyone would like it for the cost of shipping. (Note: I'm in BC Canada, and it cost me $11 to send it to Italy, but $14 to send it to New Brunswick for some reason). ETA: claimed

https://twitter.com/gccx_official/status/912601713332408321

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Nov 17, 2017

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

zari-gani posted:

I have a unisex XL of the Kibe-Zari shirt to give away, if anyone would like it for the cost of shipping. (Note: I'm in BC Canada, and it cost me $11 to send it to Italy, but $14 to send it to New Brunswick for some reason).

That's my size so I'll nab it if you can post to Finland?

Unless japanese XL is horribly small compared to euro/US size. I've ordered lots of GDQ shirts (with your design too) and they've fit well as XL.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

TeaJay posted:

That's my size so I'll nab it if you can post to Finland?

Unless japanese XL is horribly small compared to euro/US size. I've ordered lots of GDQ shirts (with your design too) and they've fit well as XL.

Most Japanese nerd shirts go with American sizes and this is no exception. Sent you a PM!

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 17, 2017

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!
I've been watching the Raws, and have been liking the Mario Bros AD segments. I love how the John Leguizamo Luigi movie toy is on the shelf behind Arino, and Bob Hoskins Mario is behind the AD. I have three things
1) How on earth does Arino keep winning? Is this part of a practical joke?
2) In the latest episode, did Nakayama try to trick Arino into thinking that the gun was broken?
3) Is the NES mini really that bad at emulating Mario Bros in that some sprites are missing part of them, and that the running animation doesn't always work?

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Random Stranger posted:

Wow, okay I knew Japan loved Dragon Quest but I had no idea it was like THIS precious a cultural phenomenon to them, it's like part of an identity even! I mean I know there are shows and such in other countries that also have that sort of deep connection to a country's mentality but that was just...adorable.

TeaJay posted:

I think DQ8 was also the game Arino played in Cannes? Créer un nouveau journal and all that.

e: I had to check, it is. And I still love the game store owner's reaction to the Arino figure. Is there a feasible chance on buying that anywhere nowadays?
My fave part is when they're putting in the name and see the "Oui/Non" prompt which Arino finds bizarre and exciting, like "OH, OH THEY SAY OUI they say oui in this version!" :3:

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

https://twitter.com/gccx_official/status/932095906069057536

Just what the hell is going on there? Is that in Hawaii?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Negrostrike posted:

https://twitter.com/gccx_official/status/932095906069057536

Just what the hell is going on there? Is that in Hawaii?

Just something for or from the movie. It's old.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Smoked Kirby.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

cubeboy posted:

I've been watching the Raws, and have been liking the Mario Bros AD segments. I love how the John Leguizamo Luigi movie toy is on the shelf behind Arino, and Bob Hoskins Mario is behind the AD. I have three things
1) How on earth does Arino keep winning? Is this part of a practical joke?
2) In the latest episode, did Nakayama try to trick Arino into thinking that the gun was broken?
3) Is the NES mini really that bad at emulating Mario Bros in that some sprites are missing part of them, and that the running animation doesn't always work?

1 - Have you ever played a multi-player game with the aim of stopping others from winning? It's as fun as it is easy.

2 - Scripted? I dunno. Funny as hell though.

3 - I'm no pro, but a lot of encodes mess-up stuff. Watching it on Fuji One didn't have that, neither does my Famicom Mini.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kakaricho posted:

3 - I'm no pro, but a lot of encodes mess-up stuff. Watching it on Fuji One didn't have that, neither does my Famicom Mini.

The encode is probably running at 30fps but the game (and broadcast) were sending 60fps. You can see this kind of artifacting in a few episodes, most notably to me are the Genesis ones as they really loved flickering things at that rate for transparency effects.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I received a package from Canada, and what's this?

:iia:

Thanks to the lovely zari-gani I was able to get my grubby little hands on a very awesome shirt. Thank you again, zari-gani! :)

Now if they ever do a GCCX in Italy I'm all set.

(Please ignore my Old Lady Sweatpants.)

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
what kind of barbarian wears shoes in the house

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Them's slippers. This kind, to be precise. They look like shoes because of long sweatpants (plus, I'm wearing socks 'cause it's cold).

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

The encode is probably running at 30fps but the game (and broadcast) were sending 60fps. You can see this kind of artifacting in a few episodes, most notably to me are the Genesis ones as they really loved flickering things at that rate for transparency effects.

Arino being killed by an invisible Bowser fireball at the Budokan comes to mind as well.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
Hell, I'm going near Shikoku this Christmas for holiday. I'll check out the ep to see if anywhere is near Takamatsu.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

While you were playing games, Arino studied the sword. In game form.

https://nyaa.si/view/980629

Episode 189 - Magic Sword

Translation by Kakaricho
Timing by Random Stranger
Proofreading by hirayuki

Jakespeare
May 10, 2013
Ohhhh , my pants! I've been hoping this episode would be translated. Thanks a bushel guys :D

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Thanks, team!

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

fantastic, I was just wondering about what I might watch when I'm done listening to this album.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Thanks!

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Thanks a lot!

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

EYYYYY radical thanks a lot! :D this also coming onto the SA-GCCX site like the Shikoku trip was?

Ganty
Jan 8, 2005
Because we want to! Because we want to!

FinalGamer posted:

EYYYYY radical thanks a lot! :D this also coming onto the SA-GCCX site like the Shikoku trip was?

Hi, don't be afraid of torrents guy. It's just a means of transferring data. If anything it's safer than downloading a file from mega or whatever because you've got a kind of "herd immunity".

Here's an idiots guide. The mistake you made last time was downloading utorrent. That was wrong.

1. Download and install qbittorrent https://www.qbittorrent.org/download.php (It's the big download link on this page)
2. Download the torrent from https://nyaa.si/view/980629 and open it with qbittorrent
3. qbittorrent will ask you where you want to save the videofile, pick wherever.
4. Wait a while until you have 100% of the file.
5. Watch an old man play videogames

That's it. And you don't have to wait for anyone to upload it or worry about it going down in the future.

Major Helper
Feb 18, 2013

Not necessarily
all that helpful
Woohoo, thanks for the new release! I shall treat this as your birthday gift to me since it's my birthday tomorrow :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Ganty posted:

Hi, don't be afraid of torrents guy. It's just a means of transferring data. If anything it's safer than downloading a file from mega or whatever because you've got a kind of "herd immunity".

Here's an idiots guide. The mistake you made last time was downloading utorrent. That was wrong.

1. Download and install qbittorrent https://www.qbittorrent.org/download.php (It's the big download link on this page)
2. Download the torrent from https://nyaa.si/view/980629 and open it with qbittorrent
3. qbittorrent will ask you where you want to save the videofile, pick wherever.
4. Wait a while until you have 100% of the file.
5. Watch an old man play videogames

That's it. And you don't have to wait for anyone to upload it or worry about it going down in the future.
Well that's mighty generous of you thank you! Problem is I just get so many different recommendations from people and I honestly don't know who's best to trust on products like this V:shobon:V