Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

:moreevil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Don't bind a Mac to AD oh god no what have you done

Edit: Nice Game Boy screen on your phone there ^

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

The Fool posted:

If their domain account is getting locked out when their primary computer is not communicating with the domain in any way, there is another device trying to log in with those credentials and you need to look at your DC logs.

If the user account is getting locked out due when they're out of the office, and it's not getting locked on the DC, they're probably an idiot and keep typing in their password wrong.

If they're sitting at home on their own home network with no VPN connection and the computer is locking them out, it's a local issue. The Mac can't even query the DC to know the account is locked out.

I'm not actually that incompetent, I don't think.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Thanks Ants posted:

Don't bind a Mac to AD oh god no what have you done

Edit: Nice Game Boy screen on your phone there ^

It's an avaya desk phone.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

Even competent people sometime skip over basic steps and it helps to run through everything when talking to other people about the problem.

My current assumption about the issue: Macs are terrible, mac users are worse, the issue is entirely due to user error.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

The Fool posted:

My current assumption about the issue: Macs are terrible, mac users are worse, the issue is entirely due to user error.

I'm right there with you!

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

The Fool posted:

Even competent people sometime skip over basic steps and it helps to run through everything when talking to other people about the problem.

Everyone should learn to do this, when things are escalated to me I'll typically run through common issues/steps to make sure they didn't forget something before diving in an assuming it's a more complex issue. I see IT people all the time that forget the basics, instead of checking simple things they will immediately assume it's something complex and immediately jump down a rabbit hole, this happens most often with people that are outside of T1/T2 support.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Inspector_666 posted:

DUNNING KRUGER!!! :byodood:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Avenging_Mikon posted:

DUNNING KRUGER!!! :byodood:

No see if I was a DK case, I would have left off the "I don't think" part!

:byoscience:

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Inspector_666 posted:

Inspector_666 posted:

I don't know enough about macOS to even know where to look in the logs to find out what or why. :(

So the first thing you did when you realised you didn't know where to look was go research the right place to look, right ?

Or did you immediately give up because it was something outside your comfort zone ?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I gave up and actually cried (the users in question refuse to let us on the computers long enough to check the logs, even though I actually do know where to look now I think.)

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Inspector_666 posted:

I gave up and actually cried (the users in question refuse to let us on the computers long enough to check the logs, even though I actually do know where to look now I think.)

This is the correct response to most user requests.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

quote:

Can I please get a new printer to use? I will need a colored printer

I'm forwarding this ticket to HR.

Fortis fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Nov 16, 2017

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
sitting here on my mac at work, in a company full of developers who mostly use macs, laughing my rear end off at how salty they make you all

jre posted:

Workplaces with competent IT have no issues with a mixed environment

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

DELETE CASCADE posted:

sitting here on my mac at work, in a company full of developers who mostly use macs, laughing my rear end off at how salty they make you all

The newbie avatar is exactly what I picture you as now after this dumb post.

Macs don't make me rage, I deal with loving tablets all the time, tablets are the devil.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I use a mac for work. gently caress macs.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Macs are banned at our org because we don't have enough resources to support them.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Sorry, but when my environment is entirely Windows, and someone decides they want to be a special snowflake I'm not going to spend the time and money on the tools needed to properly manage one workstation.

In addition, the type of user that goes out of their way to acquire a mac when everyone else in the office has a windows machine is guaranteed to be a high support burden throughout their entire tenure.

They can deal with the limited support as a consequence of their choice.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

And make it double?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Kurieg posted:

And make it double?

Team Rocket's forwarding calls agaaaaaaaaaiiiiinnnn...

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

jre posted:

Workplaces with competent IT have no issues with a mixed environment

Inspector_666 posted:

It's almost like there is a pattern in the world with Macs, their users, and everyone being tired of their junk.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Irritated Goat posted:

I'm honestly shocked they let you stay past resignation date. At least in my small experience, someone with admin creds resigns? They get a nice vacation before $new_job. :shrug:

Something tells me though, your boss was desperate cause he didn't know poo poo all about the environment.

Today my boss wanted me to go over our AD structure and explain to him how group policy worked.

Yepppp.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

LethalGeek posted:

It's almost like there is a pattern in the world with Macs, their users, and everyone being tired of their junk.

We have a bunch of devs who use Macs and they're great, never have problems. It's the squeaky wheel who insist they need a Mac because it's "easier to use" than Windows and they're "used to it" that always end up causing problems because actually they don't know how to use a computer of any type.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

LethalGeek posted:

I use a mac, because that's what <currentjob> gave me. Had a pc at <oldjob>

Supporting them is not some complex esoteric thing. School IT departments manage this for gently caress sake.This is a solved problem that's trivial for someone competent. If you don't want to buy them for people then Apple's lack of a corporate repair scheme is a better reason.

quote:

They are also now finally onboard with wireless devices being a bad idea.

Missed this the first time. This is hilarious and also a massive :redflag:

MF_James
May 8, 2008

a single mac in an all windows shop still seems stupid, but keep arguing that dude is bad at his job because he's complaining about having to support a special snowflake with a snowflake device.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

MF_James posted:

a single mac in an all windows shop still seems stupid, but keep arguing that dude is bad at his job because he's complaining about having to support a special snowflake with a snowflake device.

I think a mixed environment is one thing, and one person having a single device completely different from the entire rest of the org is altogether different.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

This all started because a guy complained about supporting a single mac in an all windows shop, I'm pretty sure, maybe I'm mis-remembering now.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I think a mixed environment is one thing, and one person having a single device completely different from the entire rest of the org is altogether different.

Yeah, I know enough about Macs to get by (and enough about Google to get a bit more than that) but if I got a job that said I would only have to support Windows and suddenly somebody threw a Mac into the mix I'd be pretty peeved.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Macs are fine to support if you're given the resources to do so, and enough notice to plan a success of it. Like pretty much everything else.

Printers that you can evaluate and deploy a standard, stable driver for, and integrate nicely with your SMB setups and print management? Go for it (with the caveat that they are still loving printers). USB inkjet from the local office supply warehouse that someone wants to use with Citrix? :fuckoff:

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

MF_James posted:

This all started because a guy complained about supporting a single mac

Inspector_666 posted:

We have constant issues with the Macs

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

MF_James posted:

This all started because a guy complained about supporting a single mac in an all windows shop, I'm pretty sure, maybe I'm mis-remembering now.

It really did, which is why I’m floored people are going ‘maybe you’re just bad.’

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Sefal posted:

HR (I have no clue how) managed to get us the whole week of Christmas off instead of only the 26th and 27th.

"Hope this helps with some more festivities and visiting with family."

I like this place

Hire me please

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

For be fair my complaint was about a specific issue we see which is probably due to Centrify loving up or something, I wasn't the original complainer and I hyperbolized that post.

We're switching to Jamf sometime soon which seems more full-featured so hopefully this will be a thing of the past.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
As a one man IT department if somebody asks me for a Mac I will gladly hand them a Windows desktop and tell them to call with any questions about how to use it.

I cannot afford extra software or time sinks for snowflakes.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Inspector_666 posted:

I wasn't the original complainer
whoops :ughh: typical fuckin mac user

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Crowley posted:

Some goddamn idiot boss approved the purchase of a Mac. We don't support Macs.

Idiot-with-a-Mac creates a ticket to get shiny new iMac "Connected to the network".

I reply to ticket that as per [Company policy] we don't support Macs, and that he's welcome to use the BYOD WLAN and help himself. Then I close the ticket.

Today I see a new ticket in my queue. This time he's found a guide on how to join a Mac to Active Directory, and he's been trying to do that himself.. through the wired connection for his thin client, but he doesn't have "the password".

I reply that we still don't support Macs, and close the ticket. Then I write a mail to the network guys and my own boss informing them of the ticket. Network replies 20 seconds later that the network post has been closed for "security reasons due to suspicious network activity", and boss replies 10 minutes later by BCCing me in a letter to HR explaining that we've suspended his account due to breach of security protocols.

Idiot-with-a-Mac is fresh out of college, and still on his 3-month probationary period. I wonder if we'll get an account termination ticket tomorrow. (probably not. He'll likely get off with a note in his record and a stern talking to.)

This was the original!

jre posted:

whoops :ughh: typical fuckin mac user

Also, you cut off the part where I said I could be wrong, so thanks... maybe that was an edit, gently caress I'm tired.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
Still seems like a massive overreaction. Trying to get the guy fired for joining the domain? Really?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Still seems like a massive overreaction. Trying to get the guy fired for joining the domain? Really?

For unplugging a physically networked device and then plugging in a different device.

It's absolutely a fireable offense.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Plugging an unauthorized device into a secure network is completely a fireable offense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You can have whatever policies you want I guess, but if a network was meant for authorized devices only then I'd expect that to be enforced with some port security. There are policies that only exist to provide BOFH-ammo for the occasional chance to be a massive poo poo to people, and they don't help the organisation in any way.

• Locked thread