Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Almost every game that is played competitively rests on the game being completely flat in terms of access to in-game capabilities, and games with progression systems that are played competitively are either completely unlocked or have their progression systems neutralized. An argument that claims that progression systems actually make things balanced seems ludicrous to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Literally any game played competitively is played on a 100% save file whether it's got a progression system or not, are you joking

edit: professional tetris is played on a 100% save file, and it's tetris

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

man I really dislike the payday and killing floor games, like a lot

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

:wow:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Multiplayer games have had progression unlocks for at least ten years now, seems a little late to be mad about them.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

The progression system in Splatoon is really good because you can obsess about it if you want but in the end it doesn't matter.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Quest For Glory II posted:

Skulltag is better than any modern multiplayer

This but unironically

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Competitive Guitar Hero is played on a 100% save file

edit: And yknow, I think you guys are right, progression systems in MP games really are bad, except that they extend the lifespan of the game, give you something to enjoy working towards and the satisfaction of unlocking it, get more people into the game because everyone starts on even ground, and reward the player for staying interested and devoting their time to it. I'm glad we've come to an agreement that actually the systems that have been included in nearly every multiplayer game for the past several years have all been wrong to do so

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Prey is like dirt cheap everywhere and I strongly recommend it

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Multiplayer games have had progression unlocks for at least ten years now, seems a little late to be mad about them.
people say battlefront 2 is the end result of team fortress 2 hat boxes, but actually COD4 is just as much to blame

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

CJacobs posted:

get more people into the game because everyone starts on even ground

You keep saying this and it makes no sense. Adding a progression system to a game literally does the opposite by barring a new player from content. When you don't have a progression system and everything starts unlocked, that is when everyone is on equal footing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CJacobs posted:

You'd be wrong. Having no progression encourages people to stick with only the best weapons, characters etc and encourages a metagame where you are at an objective disadvantage if you don't use what everyone else is using. Giving players access to an expanding arsenal of stuff means that everyone starts on the same foot and then from there they can pick and choose what they want as they reach that milestone which overall leads to a much higher variation in equipped items.

I think it depends. The Last of Us multiplayer had "progression", but the progression ended very quickly and yet people kept playing, for example.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I enjoy working towards things

but anyway my guy's only been playing for a couple hours and he has like ten grand where you need fifteen for Luke so I feel like the cost reduction EA did meant something. unless that Reddit post or whatever where the dude tallied it up as requiring 40 hours was a fib lmao

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Sakurazuka posted:

Seriously. I don't always like progression systems, and they can get in the way and be too grindy, but raging about them in TYOOL 2017 is just silly. They've been around for over a decade and they're here to stay. Don't get me wrong, I also like shooters without them too, and variety is the spice of life so I'm not saying all games need them. In fact, ones that shoehorn them in just piss me off. But most competetive games tend to use a fairly flat progression, giving starting players the most "balanced," simple to use weapons in their class (e.g. Titanfall 2 and any Battlefield game) which has undeniably eased a lot of people into the multiplayer FPS genre.

Something like Battlefront on the other hand, where it's literal stat upgrades...

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I enjoy working towards things

but anyway my guy's only been playing for a couple hours and he has like ten grand where you need fifteen for Luke so I feel like the cost reduction EA did meant something. unless that Reddit post or whatever where the dude tallied it up as requiring 40 hours was a fib lmao

40 hours was before they lowered the cost

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Im glad fighting games never adopted progression and the one that did (SFV) was a complete commercial failure

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Literally any game played competitively is played on a 100% save file whether it's got a progression system or not, are you joking

edit: professional tetris is played on a 100% save file, and it's tetris

CJacobs posted:

Competitive Guitar Hero is played on a 100% save file

Right, so the game that everyone wants to play competitively is with the 100% save file, making the progression construct entirely just a system of roadblocks and annoyances. I don't know if you thought you were mounting a counterargument but you are just saying things that are not logically coherent

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I don't think time is a reason to say it's not worth criticizing a certain game design. Like horse armor is still hosed up. Remember horse armor

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It's good to protect your horse

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Progression systems are fun and also quite good for new players. If Codblops gave you all the perks and weapons right from the get go I'd have no clue where to even start, since decision paralysis is a real thing. With the progression system, though, things get doled out over time and I experiment way more since I only need to test out a couple new things at once, rather than a whole library of glowing "NEW!" exclamation marks or whatever (this all gets messier when you go to mobas and fighting games, though, since character selection in those games is so incredibly important that it's a bad idea to lock them behind progression).

This all goes out the window when the progression systems are terrible, which is a big problem with microtransactions blowing up. The Call of Duties back when I played them had fantastic progression that didn't take too long to get to the good stuff, but now that there's an incentive to make progression slow and godawful they're kinda getting worse. I don't spend much time in the AAA zone these days though so I'm mostly speaking off of impressions here.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

In Training posted:

Im glad fighting games never adopted progression and the one that did (SFV) was a complete commercial failure

To be fair, it was a commercial disaster for many more reasons than just that.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

In Training posted:

I don't think time is a reason to say it's not worth criticizing a certain game design. Like horse armor is still hosed up. Remember horse armor

Horse armor was dumb because there was never a good reason to use a horse unless you were actively playing the game as someone who never fast travels and also loves their horse enough to dress them up.

Shadowmere couldn't even die so it's not like you even ever needed to put her in armor anyway.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I find it hard to believe anyone could still be mad about horse armour

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Horse armor is harmless because its optional DLC that doesn't even have gameplay behind. Its of course not worth buying at all, but that just means you can safely ignore it. I never had a problem with it.

Its downright quaint compared to the festering abomination that paid DLC has turned into in the year 2017.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Sakurazuka posted:

I find it hard to believe anyone could still be mad about horse armour

Bethesda brought it back up with their whole paid mods thing so it's kinda back in vogue.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I mean, I love progression systems in single-player and cooperative games. Give me more numbers. Give me more menus. Give me more colors of poo poo, it's all good.

But if we're talking about any kind of competitive situation and someone else has access to more options that materially and significantly affect gameplay simply because they've played for longer, and the options that I would want to use are arbitrarily time-locked to take longer to get to than other options I don't care about, then you've probably lost me

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

at least the Progression Fad is finally ending, its hard to see Overwatch as anything but a rejection of that. of course Overwatch is bad in its own way cause they replaced one psychologically manipulative player retention scheme for another one that's even worse, but one step at a time...

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

In Training posted:

Didn't Injustice 2 do this?

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Also in "I guess they could have just always sold these for less" news I checked out Toys R Us a little while ago for amiibo and noticed the other Toys-To-Life sections are still pretty stocked because I guess they literally can't throw the stock away and they can't send it back, so with the exception of Lego Dimensions everything else is in literal fire-sale mode. Skylander things from only 2015 and 2016 like the various vehicles they could never sell that used to go for fifteen dollars are down to around two dollars and fifty cents. Disney Infinity is Buy 1 get 4 free. We will literally pay you to take this merchandise off the shelves.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the only progression system i need is speedrunning REmake to get barry's handgun

being serious, i'm eh on progression in shooters cause if i like a game i'll probably just play it regardless and i don't need to be drip-fed combat options to keep me playing. but it's better than the idea of shoving them into fighting games by making you unlock characters

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

CJacobs posted:

Not having a progression system at all would be pretty boring

having all characters from the start works for overwatch

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
lets all play slidequake

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

let's all play quake live, I say again two months in a row

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

Maybe 'you can't play hanzo until you've played 100 hours of support' would create some healthy multiplayer habits in some people

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Colonel did you go back and check out the Mysterious Asian Man after Mike dies?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Sunning posted:

It looks like EA might be suspending real money purchases for Battlefront 2.

I'm guessing they take out P2W crates and introduce cosmetic crates in a few months.

Wow I'm kind of shocked they are doing this for real. All micro-transactions will be disabled at launch.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

Also PUBG

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
The Disney CEO (Bob Iger, which from what I heard is a ruthless guy)apparently was talking to one of the EA CEOs before this was pulled, so he probably told EA knock that poo poo off.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/star-wars-battlefront-2-drops-microtransactions-te/1100-6455042/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I wish Super Smash Bros didn’t have you unlock characters and poo poo

• Locked thread