Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Is there a thread for all this EA drama? can't see it in games :downs:

e] oh god new page, here, AC Origins rules

e] ew no i don't go there

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Nov 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

yeah, reddit

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The newest lol thing is that you can get a star card with a quasi aim bot.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

not even gonna give them more internet traffic

but, uh, cultural appropriation in H:ZD

if ya really need the link

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2017/11/horizon-zero-dawni-dlc-the-frozen-wilds-uncomforta.html

Anyone who legitimately argues about that kind of "cultural appropriation" immediately loses as much credibility with me as if they walked up in a loving MAGA hat.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
someone using the term cultural appropriation in earnest is a pretty good indicator that theyre a braindead twit

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Godholio posted:

Anyone who legitimately argues about that kind of "cultural appropriation" immediately loses as much credibility with me as if they walked up in a loving MAGA hat.

Seriously. She even says "heavily inspired by". So using something as an inspiration, respectfully, to tell a really interesting story is now cultural appropriation. Okay.

Slim Pickens posted:

The newest lol thing is that you can get a star card with a quasi aim bot.

loving :lol: what a lovely loving game

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Seriously. She even says "heavily inspired by". So using something as an inspiration, respectfully, to tell a really interesting story is now cultural appropriation. Okay.

Not to mention they completely miss that that's how human cultures have worked for loving forever. Every single culture in the history of the world has been a construct in constant flux and interaction with other cultures.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I have a steam link to sell if anyone wants it. I bought it as a christmas present for my wife but then her brother got us one as a wedding present.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Missionary Positron posted:

Not to mention they completely miss that that's how human cultures have worked for loving forever. Every single culture in the history of the world has been a construct in constant flux and interaction with other cultures.

BE A MELTING POT BUT STAY IN YOUR LANE

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Godholio posted:

Funny you mention that. When HZD first came out, some guy with a fairly popular and financially successful podcast about playstation stuff, tanked his career because he went on a 20 minute MAGA meltdown about people saying there was cultural appropriation in HZD.

If people want to write tumblr think pieces about the game being guilty of cultural appropriation or whatever, let 'em. They're writing into the void for the most part. The mainstream doesn't give a poo poo about that stuff till it goes into mocking territory, and even then it's not a given. I personally don't worry about it so long as it's not mocking anyone or reinforcing lovely stereotypes.

You literally cannot win with those kinds of people, it's a losing game to even bother trying. See also, J.K. Rowling coming up with a list of North American Magic Schools for some blog article only to have the same kind of people endlessly whine at her for not taking the time to study each and every indigenous group in North America. Damned if you include them, damned if you don't.

Godholio posted:

BE A MELTING POT BUT STAY IN YOUR LANE

hahahahaha exactly this.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Missionary Positron posted:

not to mention the culinary world would be completely different if India and Italy had never CULTURALLY APPROPRIATED tomatoes from native americans

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

not to mention the culinary world would be completely different if India and Italy had never CULTURALLY APPROPRIATED tomatoes from native americans

:monocle: drat. Like...drat. Tomato is also apparently part of the nightshade family.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Godholio posted:

:monocle: drat. Like...drat. Tomato is also apparently part of the nightshade family.

also all peppers

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
And potatoes.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Don't eat green potatoes guys

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I laughed out loud at “I played through horizon zero and didn’t notice it at first but I’ve read some books since then and now I see how this is cultural appropriation”

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

FastestGunAlive posted:

I laughed out loud at “I played through horizon zero and didn’t notice it at first but I’ve read some books since then and now I see how this is cultural appropriation”

The definition of manufactured outrage.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

FastestGunAlive posted:

Don't forget the part where the author most likely completely misunderstood the point those books were trying to make in the first place.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2409920/Russian-girl-8--orphaned-ENTIRE-family-wiped-deadly-gas-caused-rotting-potatoes-cellar.html

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Much like SJW, cultural appropriation does exist but its really loving rare. There is a huge difference between incorporating some elements of a culture into your life and wearing traditional ethnic clothing and trying to act like you belong. I'm allowed to like east coast rap despite growing up in the middle of Texas. However I can't do this. https://nypost.com/2015/06/12/naacp-leader-has-pretended-to-be-black-for-years-family/

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

https://twitter.com/ldrinkh20/status/930893479009488903
:lol:

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
https://clips.twitch.tv/StylishPiercingRaisinSuperVinlin

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
^^lmao

Oh jeez I just got around to playing new Wolfenstein intro :(

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
EA turned off micro transactions for BF2. It’s also being reported that the CEO of Disney called the EA boss. I’m sure that was a very positive conversation.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Lol that's actually awesome.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

:laffo:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Still not gonna buy it though.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Finally started playing Jagged Alliance 1 seriously.
Earlier JA1 attempts were all doomed by the Japanese cowboy mercenary consistently point-blank shooting teammates in the skull when trying to hit enemies,
or by using rejected by PennySaver newbie mercs while I was learning the JA1 control scheme

Once I started moving Japanese cowboy first & making other mercs duck around him, things smoothed out considerably in JA1.
In-game I will always hire Ivan the Russian, and the Japanese cowboy, Ivan speaks gibberish russian with cyrillic subtitles,
and the Japanese cowboy is either Buckaroo Banzai's dumbass nephew or Hideo Kojima: cowboy fetish edition.

-Stumbled across my first booby-trapped crate, save-scummed until it didn't explode when disarming it, got a free grenade.
-Currently using the free native guide as a sentient packmule, and door opener in hostile sectors.
-Ivan, Hector, and the squad medic have the highest enemy-kill counts so far.
-Encountered my first snake attack while moving through water, it did not disappoint. The knife equipped merc won, this time.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Bob Iger is probably very good at yelling

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
you need fidel.

man I havent played JA1 in probably since the 90s. JA2 is one of my go tos though, love that game.

I wish they could just remake the game with better sprites/animation/resolution and not gently caress up everything else like they do on all these others.

I recently gave Back in Action another shot with some big mod, and tbh it wasnt the worst game i've played.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Your Battle Buddy posted:

you need fidel.

man I havent played JA1 in probably since the 90s. JA2 is one of my go tos though, love that game.

I wish they could just remake the game with better sprites/animation/resolution and not gently caress up everything else like they do on all these others.

I recently gave Back in Action another shot with some big mod, and tbh it wasnt the worst game i've played.

What mod?

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Killatomato realistic rebalancing or something.

Its still incredibly janky but i played it more than i ever did vanilla. Adds a bunch of guns and fudges a bunch of numbers around

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Managed to get a Shadow of War Gold code for XB1/PC for ten bucks thanks to a pricing error at Walmart.

Now debating if I should redeem it or offload it somewhere so I can get something else.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
It's a pretty fun game that loses some charm in the fourth act due to story shenanigans. It can be a grind if you let it, but if you just pick it up and put it down it's nowhere near as bad as folks were saying.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The secret to Act 4 is using the ingame currency you get one time only to buy XP boosts, and saving them all until when you get to Act 4. Then you get all your kingdom's troops up as high as you can via the fighting pits (should be around level 47-48) and start the shadow war events with the boost running. After the second round of shadow war, every successful defense should net you 1.5 levels with the boost. When your boost runs out, get your troops leveled back up and repeat. I got to wave 8 and was level 59, but lost interest in finishing it.

It's a very fun game!

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

If you don't like the shadow war grind just youtube the ending cinematic and save yourself the hours of work.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
Killer is Dead is free on Humble Bundle, and that game is loving weird :psyduck:.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Oh no major discord outage where can I spam clams????

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I want to chat about clams

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Discord is up? :confused: