Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

the_tasman_series posted:

Alright, I'll check out those netflix kung fu omes. As for Ip Man, I turned it off after about half an hour, I'll give it a real chance. The 10 man fight sounds great

You hosed up on that one my man. The build-up in Ip Man is so, so worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy

As for Ip Man, I turned it off after about half an hour

Ah, now your original post makes a little bit more sense. :)

One thing I like about the Dragon is that it draws you in almost immediately. The physician detective is one of my favorite characters in any martial arts movie ever.

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Ip Man movies are odd because while the fight scenes are good, they are so heavily laden with this weird Chinese philosophy that it makes them hard to watch. You don't get the sense of of martial arts wisdom from these movies like you would from something like Hero, all the moral lessons just come off as preachy.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I dunno man, Hero comes across as statist propaganda in hindsight.

The best martial arts philosophy movies are the two Drunken Master films.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Basebf555 posted:

There's a scene fairly early on in Headshot that turns some people off, it's more graphically violent and disturbing than the rest(the massacre on the bus) and I remember someone in here saying that they'd stopped the movie at that point. So be prepared for that, if that's a major turn of for you than you can just skip through that scene and the rest of the movie isn't like that. It's not really important to the plot either.

:psyduck: Wait, really? I can see how the tone of the scene is a little nastier since it's civilians dying and not mooks but as far as graphic violence goes, the movie's pretty uniformly brutal as gently caress.

the_tasman_series
Apr 20, 2017

Steve Yun posted:

The best martial arts philosophy movies are the two Drunken Master films.

The propaganda in Hero is almost hilarious - what if an autocrat warred all across China, not to for personal power but because he's devoted to the ideal of a peaceful united nation? What if that ideal was so seductive that contemplating it caused not one, but two different super powered assassins to give up at the last second? And it's always delivered so solemnly. "Our Land."

Despite the propaganda, Hero still has good martial arts philosophy, where the perfect warrior will lose all need to fight through meditation. Not to mention the 'combat in the mind' scenes.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

You hosed up on that one my man. The build-up in Ip Man is so, so worth it.

Yeah, the first Ip Man is all about a slow, ongoing escalation until you've got an amazingly cathartic climax near the very end. Ip Man 2 and 3 are honestly more or less the exact same movie in terms of plot, but still eminently watchable if you like to watch people getting punched in inventive ways.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

It costs money currently but Brigsby Bear is available On Demand and on Amazon Video and it's incredible.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, the first Ip Man is all about a slow, ongoing escalation until you've got an amazingly cathartic climax near the very end. Ip Man 2 and 3 are honestly more or less the exact same movie in terms of plot, but still eminently watchable if you like to watch people getting punched in inventive ways.

It's kind of interesting to see how the Chinese play Japan the same way we do Hitler.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I really liked the one ip man fight with the boxer whichever one that was. Always neat to see western martial arts treated as a legitimate threat in the hands of a skilled fighter instead of just a dumb brawling style that is easily dispatched by the more refined eastern martial arts.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The propaganda in Hero is almost hilarious - what if an autocrat warred all across China, not to for personal power but because he's devoted to the ideal of a peaceful united nation? What if that ideal was so seductive that contemplating it caused not one, but two different super powered assassins to give up at the last second? And it's always delivered so solemnly. "Our Land."

Despite the propaganda, Hero still has good martial arts philosophy, where the perfect warrior will lose all need to fight through meditation. Not to mention the 'combat in the mind' scenes.

The overt nationalism of Chinese films is one of my favorite things, because it helped me watch American films differently.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Is the new crouching tiger movie good

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

:psyduck: Wait, really? I can see how the tone of the scene is a little nastier since it's civilians dying and not mooks but as far as graphic violence goes, the movie's pretty uniformly brutal as gently caress.

That's really the difference yea, the tone and the fact that it's random innocent people just being mowed down extremely graphically. If feels like the kind of mass murder that happens in real life versus the more over the top martial arts fighting in the rest of the movie..

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

A MIRACLE posted:

Is the new crouching tiger movie good

I've heard it's terrible. Haven't bothered to watch as a result.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

So does Ip Man

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Ip Man rules

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

The fight scenes in Ip man were cool. I didn't really care about the rest of the movie, it did feel jarringly political at times. I like Jackie Chan movies cause his characters always take a beating. I don't remember anyone landing a punch on Donnie Yen

Gonna plug Lady Bloodfight again because it's senselessly violent and hilarious. Also Catfight was hilarious.

Also looking for more movies where people fight cause I'm not doing anything tonight and want to drink beer and watch fight movies. I don't care if it's kinda bad, as long as it's not really bad

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
So Future Man on Hulu is pretty funny.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I made it a couple episodes before shutting it off. Does it get better?

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

tweet my meat posted:

I really liked the one ip man fight with the boxer whichever one that was. Always neat to see western martial arts treated as a legitimate threat in the hands of a skilled fighter instead of just a dumb brawling style that is easily dispatched by the more refined eastern martial arts.

Ip Man 3 where he fought Mike Tyson?

The fight scenes were great, but I wasn't really getting the plot in #3.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Man, I am usually a champion of Netflix even when everyone else is hating on them, but they have hit a real dry spell of decent movies to watch lately.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I love UK KN. Just as dramatic but less histrionic. I think I've seen every episode like a half dozen times.

US Kitchen Nightmares is just downright insulting. I hate the music, the added sound effects, I hate the editing overall. I don't need a loving sound effect of a bird to tell ME there is a bird in the kitchen. It feels like the show thinks i'm a goddamn idiot just looking for a successful foreign businesman/cook call someone a oval office.

UK Kitchen Nightmares is so drat good.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
as a goddamn idiot who just likes hearing Gordon call people cunts, US KN owns

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

ok i must have been tripping earlier

Future Man is loving hilarious

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Fargin Icehole posted:

US Kitchen Nightmares is just downright insulting. I hate the music, the added sound effects, I hate the editing overall. I don't need a loving sound effect of a bird to tell ME there is a bird in the kitchen. It feels like the show thinks i'm a goddamn idiot just looking for a successful foreign businesman/cook call someone a oval office.

Is UK Kitchen Nightmares on any streaming service?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Killing Ground is uhh :stare:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I watched that Jim and Andy thing on Netflix. It's... okay. It did the basic job of a movie, holding my attention, but it definitely didn't have anything terribly interesting in it, and was pretty much just a weird "old man Jim Carrey reflects on how he's so totally similar to Andy Kaufman".

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Fargin Icehole posted:

It may or may not have been phony as well but it felt genuine, whereas USKN completely felt like a phony show.

"I'VE NEVER HAD A MORE OVERCOOKED CHICKEN IN MY LIFE"

(Hans Zimmer battle music)

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Nov 19, 2017

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
The Mist has been real enjoyable through episode 8

just the right amount of cheesiness and shlock

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Stevie Lee posted:

is it the stephen king novel or something else

The Mist the movie owns bones

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Holy gently caress. Everyone watch Shot in the Dark right now. This show is intense. It's almost too well shot for a reality show.

Stevie Lee posted:

I was enjoying The Mist but stopped watching when I found out it was cancelled. Too bad, it was decent.

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Nov 19, 2017

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Holy gently caress! Watch... a reality show.

:nallears:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I was enjoying The Mist but stopped watching when I found out it was cancelled. Too bad, it was decent.

Then why did you stop? Who cares if it's cancelled.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Stevie Lee posted:

I'm not exaggerating when I say this is the first positive review of that show I've seen on SA. I watched it all the way through because I'm a masochist but man it was awful, like a teen drama with monsters.

It had some good moments but overall it was clumsy and just wasn't good. Maybe it was just because the movie and book were infinitely better, I just couldn't see it stretching it's premise out.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Medullah posted:

I'm not exaggerating when I say this is the first positive review of that show I've seen on SA. I watched it all the way through because I'm a masochist but man it was awful, like a teen drama with monsters.

It had some good moments but overall it was clumsy and just wasn't good. Maybe it was just because the movie and book were infinitely better, I just couldn't see it stretching it's premise out.

The wrong network picked it up in my opinion. The premise has a lot of promise, but not in the hands of a company that wants to market to the YA audience. I couldn't make it two episodes in because it was obvious the teen angst wasn't going to stop just because otherworldly monsters were eating everyone.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Mist (tv show) is pretty good, definitely "watchable", until the last couple episodes where it becomes totally clownshoes.

So it's a Stephen King adaptation.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Has anyone else watched killing ground? I'm just curious as to why other people thought about it. I don't know if I would call it bad but it was seriously one of the more hosed up, mean spirited movies I've seen.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Liked this season of Longmire except for Cady's storyline, where she had to be a complete idiot to get her where they wanted her at the end.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Punisher good! Weird how much superhero stuff is missing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

veni veni veni posted:

Killing Ground is uhh :stare:

veni veni veni posted:

Has anyone else watched killing ground? I'm just curious as to why other people thought about it. I don't know if I would call it bad but it was seriously one of the more hosed up, mean spirited movies I've seen.

After your two posts, I feel compelled to watch it tomorrow.