Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Kibayasu posted:

I'm not really sure why that CSB video looks like the result of budget cuts. It's not the full report and when compared to the some of the other incidents they cover this one wasn't the result of problems arising in a single area from a single person but a site-wide series of events that none of the employees could have stopped with the equipment, procedures, and training they had. There's no point in showing the people, forklifts, or trucks moving at ground level because there were no problems with any of that. The problem was the floodwater spreading across the plant and reaching the generators and the truck refrigerators. There's no need to show someone driving a forklift through the flood.

A facility had its hazardous stored components catch fire/explode and put the surrounding areas at risk. This is exactly what the CSB was designed to review.

I can tell you that hospitals put their generators and reserve power on the roofs/upper floors to prevent a ground flood from disrupting emergency treatment/care. While difficult to perfectly waterproof a high voltage system, you can place them off the ground to prevent them from being easily hit by anything but full catastrophe flood events. Not easy or cheap, but safety seldom is, especially when "explosions" are a not-rare part of your "what if" scenarios.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Dwarf Fortress is like Eve Online: reading the stories is more fun than creating them yourself.

This is so true. Everyone needs to read Boatmurdered if they haven't already.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Mistle posted:

A facility had its hazardous stored components catch fire/explode and put the surrounding areas at risk. This is exactly what the CSB was designed to review.

I can tell you that hospitals put their generators and reserve power on the roofs/upper floors to prevent a ground flood from disrupting emergency treatment/care. While difficult to perfectly waterproof a high voltage system, you can place them off the ground to prevent them from being easily hit by anything but full catastrophe flood events. Not easy or cheap, but safety seldom is, especially when "explosions" are a not-rare part of your "what if" scenarios.

I'm not arguing about why they made the video :v:

Just that it seems some people think that because this video wasn't a ground level animation of a specific incident with models of people it means that it's lower budgeted than their previous videos. Whether it is because of a lower budget or not, however, this incident required a different scale to show adequately.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Kibayasu posted:

Just that it seems some people think that because this video wasn't a ground level animation of a specific incident with models of people it means that it's lower budgeted than their previous videos. Whether it is because of a lower budget or not, however, this incident required a different scale to show adequately.

Fair enough. It's not like there was a need to animate a person caught in a blast or falling into an industry death contraption.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

hopefully nothing happens inshallah but if theres a terror attack there, those are probably gonna be part of the conspiracy theories

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Kibayasu posted:

I thought that they'd just bought different animation software. I quite liked the new look.

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006

Memento posted:

This is so true. Everyone needs to read Boatmurdered if they haven't already.

Its been so popular someone did a Lets Read. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZF59Dkk73g It includes the screenshots as well. The guy did Headshoots too.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Hey this guy was arrested a few minutes from where I live!

http://www.wftv.com/news/local/deputies-explosive-materials-containers-of-bodily-fluids-found-in-debary-home/646597156

loving idiot.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mistle posted:

Fair enough. It's not like there was a need to animate a person caught in a blast or falling into an industry death contraption.

Personally I think it would be better if they did put additional effort into animating extraneous detail, like looks of horror on everyone's faces and people tripping as they fall in the background.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

quote:

"If I was a roach, I wouldn't live in that room," Chitwood said. "That's how despicable and dirty and feces- and urine-filled that room is. Yet the rest of the house is in pretty good shape."

drat

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Somebody must have tossed a power pole seed out of their car window.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ChickenHeart posted:

"The Dwarf migrants sent into the channel to clear the blockage lacked the necessary training and equipment for entry into hazardous, magma-drenched enclosed spaces. PPE consisted of rotting spidersilk jumpers, a kobold-leather cloak, and highly-flammable wooden helmets soaked in plump helmet beer. One worker brought her infant daughter into the channel, carried in one arm.

The workers were not informed of the magma resivour just four tiles away from the work area that was quickly reaching critical capacity due to the blockage, and no effort was made to shut down the magma pumps feeding into the system.

The facilities' lock-out procedure also proved to be a contributing factor in the disaster; with no physical blocks or signage in place, the intricate, lever-based control system was instead merely closed off to workers via a simple locked olivenite door. Lever-pulling children were not informed of the work going on in magma channel 03. Finally, on the day of the accident, eyewitness accounts stated that the blockading door was wedged open by the rotting corpse of a butterfly."

:pusheen:

I totally read that in the CSB narrator's voice.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

chitoryu12 posted:

Personally I think it would be better if they did put additional effort into animating extraneous detail, like looks of horror on everyone's faces and people tripping as they fall in the background.

Perhaps they could work with our neighbors to the north.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwCyVku1HvI

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

oohhboy posted:

:pusheen:

I totally read that in the CSB narrator's voice.

Wanted to post the same thing. That was absolute perfection.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

IPCRESS posted:

I'll be honest: I'm over the moon that they finally found a company to make a video about whose internal processes weren't absolute garbage, which apparently knew what it was doing, and which appeared to care for the wellbeing of the staff.

I clicked expecting "Workers were paraded into a giant electrified hamsterwheel to keep the coolant pumps operating, because right-to-work-state-that's-why, and then water levels rose and zapped them all". Instead got treated to competent decisions and sound thinking.

Yeah I wanna say that video almost doesn't fit the thread.. I was so excited too

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnexdQvBg5A&t=39s

revolther
May 27, 2008
Some neighbors remodeling, I wonder how comfortable he is living in something built by the same guy whose first job was labeling that trash can.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

revolther posted:

Some neighbors remodeling, I wonder how comfortable he is living in something built by the same guy whose first job was labeling that trash can.

Hey, dyslexics are just like people. They can build houses too.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Proteus Jones posted:

Hey, dyslexics are just like people. They can build hosues too.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Proteus Jones posted:

Hey, dyslexics are just like people. They can build houses too.

Dyslexics of the world, UNTIE!

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

nobody impaled

OSHATAINMENT SCORE: 2/10

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Pander posted:

nobody impaled

OSHATAINMENT SCORE: 2/10

Yeah, that's just a KF1* event.

* short for Klaus Factor.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

I'm pretty sure a lot of people have that building in their nightmares.

revolther
May 27, 2008
Maybe there is some sort of concrete fire stairwell being installed right there?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Aren't those sorts of floating door to nowhere situations usually intended to allow easier access for getting large things in to the upper floors using a lift where an elevator isn't available? The 1.5 door configuration like a supercab truck seems to fit with a "form follows function" installation.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

revolther posted:

Maybe there is some sort of concrete fire stairwell being installed right there?

Hinges on both sides of the door, but very asymmetrically sized.

Weird.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Colin Furze did another thing... he made a thermite launcher

https://i.imgur.com/L9JvaMd.gifv

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I am still not sure why the UK is making an airplane blimp. It has spent more time on the ground in a state of unplanned disassembly than being test flown.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-42037832

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

`Nemesis posted:

Isn't that 2 or 3 years old?

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

dis astranagant posted:

Isn't that 2 or 3 years old?

Ah yup, it's a year old. I guess I missed it.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

oohhboy posted:

I am still not sure why the UK is making an airplane blimp. It has spent more time on the ground in a state of unplanned disassembly than being test flown.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-42037832

Just weld a bunch of helicopters together, it'll be fine.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

One amazing trick to wind up your New Year's party! Guests HATE This!!!!

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

From the wiki article on the Thor missile;

quote:

The Thor failed almost immediately at liftoff as the engine lost thrust, dropped back onto the pad, and exploded. Engineers could not determine the cause until viewing film of prelaunch preparations that showed crews dragging a LOX filler hose through a sandy area. It was concluded that debris had entered the LOX and contaminated it, causing valve failure.
:downs:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MENjFkEAj9g

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

`Nemesis posted:

He's one bad day away from becoming the world's first real life comicbook supervillain

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

What is going on with the row of windows that seem to be between the floor and ceiling of each level? I think I'm having a stroke.