Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Rough Lobster posted:

That's not surprising at all, actually.

When I hear "superhero that sucks" I pretty much always think "aquaman"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

fruit on the bottom posted:

gently caress it. Scrap this poo poo and start over. Kill everyone, keep cyborg. Replace Batman with Nightwing and do something with the Titans. This version of Barry is basically Kid Flash so he can come if he wants.

Make it Teen Titans Go and I'm in.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

Did you not watch BvS? He has a pretty clear change in attitude and explains it all in the final scenes of the film.

Why on Earth would I watch BvS?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Jamesman posted:

Maybe you'd like a refresher course on "How not to make a superhero movie with the two biggest names in the industry"

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
It takes a lot of skill to make a movie where Batman and Superman fight and make it boring.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Jamesman posted:

Maybe if you're going to say "character was like x in this movie, but was like y in this movie, that's inconsistent!" you should have actually seen one of the movies in question.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It takes a lot of skill to make a movie where Batman and Superman fight and make it boring.

actually it is almost always boring when superheroes fight, especially those two

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Monaghan posted:

I'm curious as to how They'll handle superman in the next movie considering it's seems to be clearly established that he's miles above most of the characters and his powers are least the same, if not better, than the other characters established strengths/speciality.

Is Superman shown to be faster than the Flash? I️ feel like that undermines the Flash too much

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

purple death ray posted:

actually it is almost always boring when superheroes fight, especially those two

Civil War owns though?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Maybe if you're going to say "character was like x in this movie, but was like y in this movie, that's inconsistent!" you should have actually seen one of the movies in question.

It's a good thing I didn't say that then.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Ugly In The Morning posted:

When I hear "superhero that sucks" I pretty much always think "aquaman"

its really funny how much lamer than Namor he always comes across as, even (especially?) when they try to make him Namor

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

omg chael crash posted:

Is Superman shown to be faster than the Flash? I️ feel like that undermines the Flash too much

they could easily say flash is still learning to access the speed force and make him even faster.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Arist posted:

What is even the point of The Flash if Supes is just faster than him

Clark, that was for charity.

https://twitter.com/alyankovic/status/931267755638013952

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

gently caress it. Scrap this poo poo and start over. Kill everyone, keep cyborg. Replace Batman with Nightwing and do something with the Titans. This version of Barry is basically Kid Flash so he can come if he wants.

Why on Earth would you scrap Wonder Woman? AKA, the only universally liked movie/ character in this entire universe.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Why come Barry Allen and not Wally West

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Because Geoff Johns

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Calaveron posted:

Why come Barry Allen and not Wally West

Because Geoff Johns

E: gently caress

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

JT Smiley posted:

Why on Earth would you scrap Wonder Woman? AKA, the only universally liked movie/ character in this entire universe.

I went and rewatched Wonder Woman recently and while it was a pretty good movie, I feel like a lot of the hype had to do with it being the first D.C. Movie that wasn't a complete dumpster fire. It was good, but the "holy poo poo, wow!" reaction feels a little oversold in retrospect.

Also that "hyrdrogen based mustard gas, instead of sulfur thing" still annoys me.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I went and rewatched Wonder Woman recently and while it was a pretty good movie, I feel like a lot of the hype had to do with it being the first D.C. Movie that wasn't a complete dumpster fire. It was good, but the "holy poo poo, wow!" reaction feels a little oversold in retrospect.

Totally agree. Although I think the movie was pretty great, until they turned it into yet another Snyder cgi snorefest at the end.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I feel like if you went back in time ten years and said that Thor 3 and Justice League movies were coming out at the same time, and that Thor 3 was way better than JL in every way, you'd get locked up in an asylum.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

omg chael crash posted:

He's not, there's scenes where they're both moving at super speed but the Flash is always faster. Barry is just shown as not used to using his powers so much so sometimes he trips or slips.

All in all I thought the movie was okay. The biggest issue is that the tone is all over the place and it feels like someone just went through afterwards and said "add a joke here, add a joke there." So you get scenes where everyone is serious and then there's a cut and someone makes a joke.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I think it's fine if Superman can be crazy fast if he's not manoeuvring too much whereas Flash can run whatever Etch-A-Sketch© pattern he wants.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I mean to be honest even if Superman was like half as fast as the Flash that doesn't really mean jack poo poo when the Flash is otherwise a physically fit regular human being. If the Flash can merely punch him a hundred times in the groin instead of five hundred times it won't matter much when Superloins are tough as steel.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

ImpAtom posted:

I mean to be honest even if Superman was like half as fast as the Flash that doesn't really mean jack poo poo when the Flash is otherwise a physically fit regular human being. If the Flash can merely punch him a hundred times in the groin instead of five hundred times it won't matter much when Superloins are tough as steel.

Force = mass x velocity

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Force = mass x velocity

Force = mass x acceleration :science:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Looking at some numbers for Justice League on the Forbes movie news/reviews site (it's where I get most of my box office info) and the headlines go from "Justice League gets 'promising' $9.6 million overseas debut" to "Justice League gets 'troubling' $13 million Thursday" to "Justice League enters weekend with 'just' $55 million".

That didn't look too bad to me (disclaimer: I don't really know how to interpret these numbers) but I looked on Wikipedia and it says there that Justice League is apparently one of the most expensive movies ever produced (about fourth or fifth behind some Pirates of the Caribbean movies) so maybe that doesn't bode well for it. :shrug:

I reckon it'll still do fine in the long run (BvS did and it was also pretty divisive) but probably not as well as Wonder Woman, seeing as that movie did very well indeed.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Not only did this cost a ton to produce, but I have to imagine they spent a lot on marketing also

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So, outside of Shazam were there any other future characters that showed up in the flashback scene?

Edit: Actually, I guess that was probably supposed to be Zeus.

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Nov 17, 2017

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

muscles like this! posted:

So, outside of Shazam were there any other future characters that showed up in the flashback scene?

Edit: Actually, I guess that was probably supposed to be Zeus.

That was Zeus (and credited as such)

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Looking at some numbers for Justice League on the Forbes movie news/reviews site (it's where I get most of my box office info) and the headlines go from "Justice League gets 'promising' $9.6 million overseas debut" to "Justice League gets 'troubling' $13 million Thursday" to "Justice League enters weekend with 'just' $55 million".

That didn't look too bad to me (disclaimer: I don't really know how to interpret these numbers) but I looked on Wikipedia and it says there that Justice League is apparently one of the most expensive movies ever produced (about fourth or fifth behind some Pirates of the Caribbean movies) so maybe that doesn't bode well for it. :shrug:

I reckon it'll still do fine in the long run (BvS did and it was also pretty divisive) but probably not as well as Wonder Woman, seeing as that movie did very well indeed.

Right now JL is projected to have a $100-110 million opening weekend, which isn't bad, but isn't really that great either. That's about on par with Wonder Woman's opening; the difference is that Wonder Woman was expected to make quite a bit less than that, but turned out to be a surprising success, whereas JL was probably expected to do slightly more than that, since it did cost twice as much to make. For points of comparison, Batman vs Superman had a (very successful) opening weekend of $166 million, and Thor: Ragnarok did $122 million just a couple weeks ago. Avengers, to which JL should in theory be a comparable film in terms of production and advertising, did $200 million.

The trick is to look at what the drop off is from the first to the second weekend. Films typically halve their ticket sales for every week they're out. In the film-industry, the accepted wisdom is that the first weekend's sales are due mostly to advertising, but the second's are due to word of mouth (and theoretically, are a more accurate reflection of the film's perceived quality and public acceptance). Wonder Woman had a drop off only 41%, which was considered to be fantastic and indicated that the movie had long legs at the box office. Thor Ragnarok had a 2nd weekend drop of 54%, which is basically average. Batman v Superman had a 2nd weekend drop off of 69%, which was considered catastrophic and sent Warner Bros into fits.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Batman v Superman had a 2nd weekend drop off of 69%

nice

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I might have seen BvS a second time in theaters to analyze it and try and pick up things I missed, but WB scuttled that by announcing the definitive uncut version ahead of time, so I figured I'd just wait for that.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

I appreciate how committed Snyder is to an artistic vision that no one else seems to enjoy.

That's pretty normal for directors, tbh, but what always amazes me is how he keeps convincing the people in charge to give him absurdly large amounts of money to play with over and over again.

On the other hand, maybe after Buffy the Vampire Slayer-guy made 1.5 billion dollars, hollywood producers just kind of collectively lost their minds.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Is it at least fun? I'm not expecting anything good but I mean I'll take my kid if it's an entertaining way to spend an afternoon.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Right now JL is projected to have a $100-110 million opening weekend, which isn't bad, but isn't really that great either. That's about on par with Wonder Woman's opening; the difference is that Wonder Woman was expected to make quite a bit less than that, but turned out to be a surprising success, whereas JL was probably expected to do slightly more than that, since it did cost twice as much to make. For points of comparison, Batman vs Superman had a (very successful) opening weekend of $166 million, and Thor: Ragnarok did $122 million just a couple weeks ago. Avengers, to which JL should in theory be a comparable film in terms of production and advertising, did $200 million.

The trick is to look at what the drop off is from the first to the second weekend. Films typically halve their ticket sales for every week they're out. In the film-industry, the accepted wisdom is that the first weekend's sales are due mostly to advertising, but the second's are due to word of mouth (and theoretically, are a more accurate reflection of the film's perceived quality and public acceptance). Wonder Woman had a drop off only 41%, which was considered to be fantastic and indicated that the movie had long legs at the box office. Thor Ragnarok had a 2nd weekend drop of 54%, which is basically average. Batman v Superman had a 2nd weekend drop off of 69%, which was considered catastrophic and sent Warner Bros into fits.

Original estimates were $120. They shifted down to $110 in like the past 3 days (basically since review embargo was lifted). Now it's shifted down again to $95.

This is not a good sign for the DCEU and I can only hope it leads to a lot of soul searching and heads rolling because it really is kind of unacceptable that they can't put out a product with regularity that's close to Marvel. Everyone said "wow, Wonder Woman was great and awesome and they've righted the ship" but more and more it looks like WW was a fluke. Hell, WW wasn't even that super amazing, but when you compare it to every thing else they've done, it was Citizen loving Kane. At this point just hand the whole loving thing over to Patty Jenkins because she seems to be the only one who knows how to make even a great movie.

Retro Futurist posted:

Is it at least fun? I'm not expecting anything good but I mean I'll take my kid if it's an entertaining way to spend an afternoon.

Honestly, I was entertained by the movie. If you're willing to sit down and shut your brain off, you can be entertained by flashing visuals for 1.5 hours and red filter for .5 hours. Just don't expect much more.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

RevKrule posted:

Original estimates were $120. They shifted down to $110 in like the past 3 days (basically since review embargo was lifted). Now it's shifted down again to $95.
Yeah, I saw that. Ouch.

That's edging into "this movie might not actually break even" territory.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

A $100 million opening weekend would be an insanely great for like 95% or more of movies released. Unfortunately for this movie a $100 million opening weekend is a literal disaster. This is one of the most expensive superhero films made period with a $300 million budget and a poo poo load of marketing on top of that. I imagine the overseas numbers will be significantly better, but as with all movies WB will get a lower percentage of that. This number will probably cost some jobs.

Justice League cost twice as much to make as Wonder Woman and has a chance of not even hitting WW's opening weekend numbers.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm in the theater now and the lobby was packed so I thought maybe it was all overblown, but when I entered the actual theater, it was practically empty. This is looking dire.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

JT Smiley posted:

Fine, she can get her own solo films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

RevKrule posted:

This is not a good sign for the DCEU and I can only hope it leads to a lot of soul searching and heads rolling because it really is kind of unacceptable that they can't put out a product with regularity that's close to Marvel.

Here's the thing about Marvel, that I'm sure someone will "well, actually" me on on account of shots looking like TV or something. Err, wait, no, not posting in CD. But that part still stands, since it's what the "Snyder as an auteur" types often miss-

Every marvel series has felt like it's own thing. Even the early ones. Iron Man was a movie that used humor to make the story of a conflicted war profiteer palatable. The Hulk had science gone too far and a reluctant hero. Captain America was an amped up war serial. That continued, and you had sci-fi comedies like GotG, and heist movies like ant-man. It casts a wide net, it lets you get a lot of different talent, and it makes crossovers fun. Hell, I'm kind of lukewarm on The Avengers now, but when it came out, I was like "HOLY poo poo, THE AVENGERS AS A MOVIE!?" The variation meant that a lot of people would have something they liked, even if every single movie wasn't for them, but that gave an appeal to the franchise. Well, I liked guardians, maybe I'll go see ant man.

D.C. Has more or less kept to one tone and style the whole time. Even Wonder Woman, which was lighter, was set during WWI, and had a plot revolving around chemical warfare. That's still pretty grim.

• Locked thread