Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The thing is, the Corps generally don't care about emergent one-offs. By their nature, they're not mass-producible. They only started to care about technomancers because they were a verified phenomenon with reliable and useful powers that don't depend on being Awakened. One guy with an ally spirit he summons into himself to do crazy poo poo? Well, we're not going to find any more of that specific ally spirit, so pay him and his weird friends to smash up the competition's lab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Am I the only person who just made up his own tradition when playing Shadowrun tabletop?

In hindsight I suspect I was not supposed to get a possession tradition that summoned shadow spirits, but hey, necromancer.

One of the magic splatbooks had an in-character discussion of one-offs and weirdos, with some of the traditionalists going "oh these are just variants of mages & shamans and they're too uneducated to know better" and others going "it's all about belief, as long as you make the magic work that's all that matters". Kind of an in-universe version of twisting the RAW to fit the character, and an a justification of doing the same.

Someone mentioned magicians of the Jedi tradition. Get yourself a telescoping monosword, enchant it into a weapon focus, make the "blade" glow, and nobody's gonna argue with you if they want to keep their hands.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

wiegieman posted:

The thing is, the Corps generally don't care about emergent one-offs. By their nature, they're not mass-producible. They only started to care about technomancers because they were a verified phenomenon with reliable and useful powers that don't depend on being Awakened. One guy with an ally spirit he summons into himself to do crazy poo poo? Well, we're not going to find any more of that specific ally spirit, so pay him and his weird friends to smash up the competition's lab.

I was more commenting on what he was doing specifically, assuming by shadow spirits he means the malevolent grim reaper looking dudes from the deep meta-planes. A whole lot of people would want to know more about them possessing someone, considering the whole deal with insect spirits and shedim. I mean, there's a standing million nuyen bounty on blood mages and those dudes are way more understood. And even if once the character is in hand and they somehow determine that you're a one off, then it's still going to be a coin flip on whether they just kill you to save themselves the trouble or mess with you in some other way.

It draws all the wrong kinds of attention.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Honestly, I just assume every runner has at least two distinct but equally dedicated groups trying to kill them, for reasons they may or may not know.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

It was the Wraith from the twisted paths as I recall.

The game lasted 2-3 sessions, and as I remember we had a free spirit leading a cult after my buddy retired his AI.

The rest of the party was relatively normal.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

wiegieman posted:

Honestly, I just assume every runner has at least two distinct but equally dedicated groups trying to kill them, for reasons they may or may not know.

If I ever GM shadow run I'm going to bake this assumption into every game.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

wiegieman posted:

Only two? Optimist.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
A runner with only two organizations out to kill them is called a rookie.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
It's the sort of situation that ironically, causes some people to go running in the first place.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Lemniscate Blue posted:

A runner with only two organizations out to kill them is called a rookie.

i mean, there's out to kill you, and there's Out To Kill You.

your average runner is probably shoot-on-sight on a couple of different types of megacorporate property, but you've got to have pissed someone off real bad to be being actively hunted.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
You know you've made it to the big leagues when everyone in a AAA down to the lowly Stuffer Shack manager is ordered to be on the lookout for you.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

You know you've made it to the big leagues when everyone in a AAA down to the lowly Stuffer Shack manager is ordered to be on the lookout for you.

That's like saying "everyone in the United States" is looking for you. Sure, there's a wanted poster up.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

wiegieman posted:

That's like saying "everyone in the United States" is looking for you. Sure, there's a wanted poster up.
Someone's too young to remember America's Most Wanted.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

You’d be surprised how many Stuffer Shacks have auto turrets in the ceilings. In a lot of areas it’s more cost effective than putting up with gangs robbing the place twice a week.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

wiegieman posted:

Did you make the local news shows? The national news? The continent-wide news?

If there are news services from the other side of the ocean reporting on you, you know you've made the big time.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Part 31 - The Spirits Within

We start our final mission from the same dimly-lit basement room we once used to escape the Brotherhood. This time our goal is in the opposite direction.

And our company is decidedly weirder.

[Harlequin grins a wide, predatory grin. Both sets of his pearly-white teeth, offset by the livid red lipstick around his mouth.]

Now the fun begins.

Wait, I have some questions.

There's always time for more questions in this game.

Of course you do.

If you won't tell me who you are, will you at least tell me what you can do?

See this sword?

Just pretend that he's holding one.

It's kind of hard to miss.

I can stick people with it. Pretty good, too. I also have one of those Telestrofwyr Magical Bug-Eradicating launchers like the rest of you.

That it?

Is that not enough?! Beyond the tattoos that adorn my face, I have another - a recent addition - in a place that only those closest to me will ever see.

TMI

Oh, and I am a powerful mage as well. I forgot that.

Canonically one of the most powerful there is. In this game... eh, I'd rather have Alexander Falk or even Verbena Vie to be honest.

Right. And what can we expect to find down here?

Sounds like a final dungeon alright.

Great. Well, I'm ready.

But first, how about one last traditional look at our party? We haven't done one of those in a while, and definitely won't after this.

Amazon worked hard training her previously feeble Body in preparation for this day. Real hard. As in, she could now probably do side work as a live crash test dummy.

Amazing how far a little motivation and a stack of spare Karma can take you.

It comes as no surprise to anybody that Harlequin is nowhere near as powerful as he "should" be, though this being Harlequin that's fairly easy to write off as him not taking things entirely seriously. Statistically he's by no means weak, having downright herculean strength with very respectable caster stats on top. Unfortunately, his primary specialization is Physical Adept and not even the great clown man himself has the strength to pull it up from the bottom of the archetype barrel.

He's also decently skilled in ranged weapons, especially shotguns... except again, the Aegis launcher ignores stats and he has no other ranged weapons, rendering those stats useless. This makes me think the bug sprayer was originally affected by skills, especially since the Ghost likewise has points in Shotguns despite not carrying a traditional one.

His primary weapon of choice is the sword he mentioned earlier, which is also the best melee weapon in the game. Three times as powerful as the 2 damage baseball bat!

Lazy bastard hasn't even bothered upgrading all his spells, bringing an okay-but-not-great mix of damage and support. I want to draw some special attention to Quick Strike at the end there. It's the highest-level offensive Adept spell and on paper, sounds quite nice. A free attack with +6 damage every couple of turns, right?

Well no. See, probably owing to its status as a spell rather than an innate Adept or weapon skill which is where most offensive melee abilities are found, Quick Strike here actually ignores your base damage entirely and deals its damage independently. In other words, instead of adding +6 to your normal attack damage, it simply deals 6 damage. That's it.

I have to imagine this is a bug, and a real unfortunate one at that considering Physical Adepts already struggle in this game.

The Tir Tairngire Ghost is a pretty basic grunt who'd be nothing special if not for the fact that he carries our third Aegis launcher, a fact that elevates him from "kinda meh" to "thank god this guy's here". As I mentioned earlier, he's quite skilled at using shotguns despite a Colt M23 rifle being his only "real" weapon.

Coyote is, well, Coyote. Statistically similar to the Ghost but lacking his Aegis launcher, by now she's starting to have some issues hittings things reliably except at very close range. Still, it's not like we were going to leave her behind on this one and she can definitely still bring the pain with her Enfield AS-7 provided her shots actually land.

Now, let's get this show on the road.

We end up in a fight immediately upon entering the ritual chamber or whatever this place is, firmly setting the tone for this entire mission. We won't be leaving combat mode even for a single moment until we reach the final boss, so you'd best buckle up.

For enemies found in the final dungeon, the brotherhood jackasses are really nothing special.

Some of them have swords, some of them have guns and some of them cast spells, but they're all weak enough that they only manage to be a credible threat if multiple of them happen to gang up on the same character. And if they all hit. And if all the hits are crits.

None of that'll happen when you kill them all in a single turn before they get to act, like we just did.

The way upstairs is locked and we have no business there anyway, so we head deeper in, utilizing the tunnel the bugs dug up the last time we were here.

It's unfamiliar territory from here on out. It looks like the facility extends even further than it originally seemed, these hallways obviously aren't insect handiwork.

More weirdos wait for us around the corner. It's not hard to guess what they're referring to with this "elevated one" business.

Here's how we distribute our own special brand of spiritual elevation.

Rude! It's hard to completely avoid damage here since every Brotherhood bozo starts each fight on Overwatch. Everything also needs to be healed manually due to the lack of end-of-combat heals.

Top 10 anime battles of the season. Unlike this sucker, the cowardly ambusher manages to get away and runs off through the door at the end of the hallway.

We take this time to heal up a bit. Another lovely consequence of the constant combat mode is that after single every battle, Amazon has to manually deactivate her drones and wait a turn so that she can catch up with the rest of the team.

The first thing of note in the next area is this network of air vents which provide our drones with easy flanking positions.

While they're looking around, the escapee from the last room grows tired of waiting and makes the fascinating strategic decision of rushing our team all by his lonesome.

Harlequin teaches him the error of his ways with Chi Onslaught, an Adept ability which hits three times in a single action with reduced accuracy but increased crit chance. Unfortunately it also costs 3 AP to use, so it's not actually that different from just using three normal attacks.

The "elevated one" is waiting for us around the next corner. These are the exact same creatures we fought during our last visit, with the Worker being a melee variant. All the bugs have high health and defenses, but are also pretty easy to hit.

Let's see if our fancy weapon works. First we bring down the physical form the traditional way...

...then the spirit emerges the next turn (and gets its free 1 damage/-1 AP attack). Last time this is where we hit a wall and had to retreat, but this time we've come prepared.

Aw yeah, back to the bug dimension with you.

A couple of notes about the Aegis launcher: It can only damage bugs in their spirit form and it can't crit or land Weak shots, meaning it always deals 15 damage if it hits. It only has an ammo capacity of 2, so without AP boosts it can only ever be fired twice per turn for a total of 30 damage per character.

The joke here is that all bug spirits have 40 HP and must be killed in a single turn or else they revive the physical form, so it requires three successful shots in one turn to take one down. Now without disabling her drones the previous turn, Amazon can only fire one shot with her one AP (assuming she doesn't move) which leaves us with five shots per turn at best.

As a result our team is only really capable of killing one spirit per turn which can be a real pain when facing two or three at once. It's not particularly dangerous since we have the firepower to keep the physical forms down reliably and the spirits only ever do 1 damage at a time, but it does cause every fight to take two or three times longer than normal. This is why the Tir Tairngire Ghost and his extra launcher are such an invaluable addition, especially if you don't bring anyone with Haste.

The next room features a mix of normal dudes and highly abnormal dudes, one of which is hiding behind some bars in the middle of the room. Harlequin having 99% hit chance on everything with his Manabolt 3 implies none of them have particularly high Willpower, which seems fitting enough.

Also some flesh seems to be growing on the wall. High-quality wallflesh is a must-have accessory for any good final dungeon designer.

The humans remain little more than fodder, but going after them does mean their ugly buddies get to live a little longer.

One of them, a Venom, spits nasty venom at the Ghost through the bars. It's hard to see (blame video capture) but in addition to traditional damage the venomous Venom venom temporarily reduces Body by 2, making it one of the rare stat-reducing debuffs in these games.

Regardless, we dispose of them the same way as before. You get to skip the whole song and dance of killing and re-killing them though, so be thankful.

While the rest of the team is having their fun, Coyote who can't harm the spirits is looking at the computer screens. I'm not entirely sure whether or not this counts as foreshadowing in this case.

Nothing else here, so onwards we go. It can't be much further, right?

The first thing we come across in the next room are some unfortunate souls who seemingly had some trouble adapting to their new spiritual lifestyle.

Beyond that, it's more fighting and also more wallflesh, a clear sign of us getting closer and closer to our goal.

Good ol' Prime remains both accurate and incredibly deadly.

This guy actually manages to fight back a little, leaving Harlequin who soaks most of the damage in these fights in pretty bad shape.

But he didn't manage to finish the job, and is thus finished himself instead.

Alright so... now what? There are no visible doors in this room, and there haven't been any other paths we could've taken. Could this be a bug?

Ah nope, that is a bug.

Three of them in fact, with one of them busting through a wall in the previous room.

We do our usual extermination routine on the two nearby abominations while the third shuffles off somewhere.

Backtracking to the previous room, we find and promptly put down the sneak, in the process discovering that its tunnel has conveniently opened up a path forward. The other two tunnels are just dead ends, in case you were wondering.

An area transition! This seems like a good place to take a break, catch our breath a bit. Hell, if we were playing the original unpatched version of the game this'd be the first spot we even could take a break since manual saves weren't a thing back then.

Anyway, see you next time.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Dec 6, 2017

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Harlequin's stats were even worse in 1.0 and had to be buffed because this mission was an utter slog with him dragging the team down. Both in terms of balance and "why isn't he really good?"

(it might be fair to say even more of an utter slog. The 15hp per shot Aegis launchers against 40hp bugs is just rude.)

A quick check says that the Ghost, Harlequin, and Dodger were all rebalanced for their respective missions in 1.2.7; I don't have specifics, but I'm pretty sure it was improvement on all three.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Ah yes, Body. The "well, I'm out of useful stats to put Karma in, and not dying is good, so gently caress it, put all the points in" attribute. My mage ended up with 8 Body, which is not a Body mages should have.

And yeah, killing those bugs is an amazing shitshow if you want to do it effectively. There is *always* a chance to miss - I want to say that an 80% chance to hit is the peak I've hit with those guns. Killing two spirits in one turn was always really tense because it required every single shot you had to hit, and at 80%, I don't like my odds on that.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
gently caress this mission. Maybe I'll have better feelings if I replay DMS/SRR with the patches at some point but honestly, this just really soured me on the first game.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Psion posted:

A quick check says that the Ghost, Harlequin, and Dodger were all rebalanced for their respective missions in 1.2.7; I don't have specifics, but I'm pretty sure it was improvement on all three.
I don't know when 1.2.7 came out, but I played DMS with the ability to save (and with Dragonfall out), and Harlequin was terrible.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
It is amazing, that they let you take the bartender for your final team to save the world. Always the correct choice to take Coyote with you and the legendary smug elf and the Tir spec ops operative.

Hey Kanfy. Remember that weird out of place conversation with Mrs. Kubota at the inn, i found? This information will show up again in the very endgame state conversation with Telestrian. Do you want a text dump of that dialogue for completion's sake?

Harlequin was always a very solid token teammate for the end mission for me. Would hit an enemy most of the time (unlike Coyote), had aim and heal spells for buffing and could take most bugs to the face. There were far worse npc runners in SR:R. Like the shitshow, that they called npc deckers, riggers and shamans.

OutofSight fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Nov 17, 2017

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Xander77 posted:

I don't know when 1.2.7 came out, but I played DMS with the ability to save (and with Dragonfall out), and Harlequin was terrible.

It was the last patch for Returns and I believe it was after both those were added, so I'm not surprised you had to deal with it. Even now I'd say Harlequin is, hm, adequate at best?

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
Plot-device weapons shouldn't be held back by strict rules adherence, that's just bad design. Ideally the FAB gun would be a one-hit kill on the spirit forms with either no to-hit roll or an easy one; if the FAB guns are to be held to game mechanics, they should respect your build AND let you take one that suits it.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I got stuck in that dead end room for like an hour before the bugs deigned me with crashing through the wall and giving me an exit route. gently caress this dungeon and gently caress those rear end in a top hat 40 HP bugs that take forever to kill.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

One thing I had forgotten about this game was that it really likes keeping you in combat mode even when no combat is happening, at least in the later missions. It gets surprisingly annoying after a while, and being a drone user makes it that much worse.

Psion posted:

That feels vaguely familiar, so I probably also initially played through the game before those changes. Weird that everyone kept their useless shotgun proficiencies though.

OutofSight posted:

Hey Kanfy. Remember that weird out of place conversation with Mrs. Kubota at the inn, i found? This information will show up again in the very endgame state conversation with Telestrian. Do you want a text dump of that dialogue for completion's sake?

If you feel up to it then go for it. I'm not gonna go back and edit the old updates or anything, but I can at least make mention of it at the end if needed.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

Since I played back around release, I had some saves I could check on/rewind (friendly reminder: All Shadowrun Returns games have the ability to rewind a save to any previous autosave point!), and can confirm that Harlequin was definitely buffed in the patch:

most notably that modern Harlequin has apparently decided that dodging attacks is, in fact a good idea. Old Harlequin is also held back by having worse armor in the old battle engine, where armor was crit reduction rather than a flat damage reduction - +1 damage is not much, getting that many more attacks at the 2x rather than 0.5x end is.

I can also confirm that the AEGIS launcher WAS a shotgun at that point. The shotgun skill itself is still irrelevant (since that affects skills and crit chance, neither of which the launcher can do), but it does get an accuracy boost from Quickness/Ranged, meaning my street sam was noticeably more accurate than Harlequin was. It being an actual shotgun also means it has some pretty bad accuracy drop off - some of this is likely inaccurate since the engine is save independent, but rough testing from the save shows shots from the distances in the update can still pull ~70%, but any further or with any cover means you're easily hitting sub 50%, which meshes decently well with my memory. It can also hit adjacent targets like normal shotguns, but that generally just means a missed attack against the bug's dead body, which is amusing if useless.

You may also note my screenshot doesn't have the ghost in it - I don't know if I thought it would let me give the third launcher to someone if I didn't, or if the dialogue wasn't clear about a third launcher even being an option, or if I just thought that was meant as backup if your character wasn't good with guns, what on earth would you need THREE copies of the super weapon for, etc. Anyway, long story short, my memories of this mission involved a lot of Harlequin getting hit in the face by every single attack while he uselessly waved his sword around, followed by him whiffing both his launcher shots, repeat 2-3 times for every single bug until the RNG favored us.

There are a lot of things that can be understood or forgiven as part of the devs not really knowing where they were going with the series at this point - the lack of manual save was originally due to wanting to keep mobile device compatibility, after all. The final mission is not one of them. At no point was this a good idea, and later patches making it "tolerable" is just damning with faint praise.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Kanfy posted:

Another lovely consequence of the constant combat mode is that after single every battle, Amazon has to manually deactivate her drones and wait a turn so that she can catch up with the rest of the team.
Is leaving her back at the entrance and just sending the drones ahead an option?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I can understand wanting something to take multiple shots from the launcher to kill. Maybe a launcher shot could also strip all AP from the bug so as long as you connect with one you don't have to refight it?

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Yeah I have absolutely no idea what the developers were thinking with this last mission. I'm pretty sure I finished it before the patch that made Harlequin tolerable and he was utterly useless. It was made worse by the fact that you needed him alive if you weren't charismatic enough to get the agent with extra AEGIS launcher. So if Harlequin died, which he almost certainly would, then you were stuck in a perpetual combat situation you had no hope of ever winning.

It makes the whole final area incredibly stressful and not in a fun way. The only way you could really stand any chance of surviving the final area was to preempt the whole thing, which sucks. That and rendering deckers totally obsolete by this point, TT really dropped the ball big time. There's no way this area got any proper play testing.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Is leaving her back at the entrance and just sending the drones ahead an option?

Sure, but she's still carrying an Aegis launcher and between the uncertain hit chances and the AP drain from the spirit attacks, you really want to maximize the amount of shots you get to take with those things.

Zeniel posted:

Yeah I have absolutely no idea what the developers were thinking with this last mission. I'm pretty sure I finished it before the patch that made Harlequin tolerable and he was utterly useless. It was made worse by the fact that you needed him alive if you weren't charismatic enough to get the agent with extra AEGIS launcher. So if Harlequin died, which he almost certainly would, then you were stuck in a perpetual combat situation you had no hope of ever winning.

It makes the whole final area incredibly stressful and not in a fun way. The only way you could really stand any chance of surviving the final area was to preempt the whole thing, which sucks. That and rendering deckers totally obsolete by this point, TT really dropped the ball big time. There's no way this area got any proper play testing.

I wasn't aware that there was any requirement for being able to hire the Ghost. Was that also a later change?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Kanfy posted:

I wasn't aware that there was any requirement for being able to hire the Ghost. Was that also a later change?

Yeah, I don't remember that either, and I played Returns after Dragonfall had already come out. Dunno what version it was, but it definitely didn't have Harlequin be too underpowered. I never had any problem hiring the Tir Ghost, and I don't think my character had enough Charisma at that point to pick up a second Etiquette, so he must've been below Cha 4.

I do remember the first time I did this mission, I reloaded because Harlequin bled out because I couldn't get to him in time with a DocWagon kit in one of the long corridor sections later on in this mission. Probably because I hadn't him too far ahead with his Adept poo poo, and he got focused down by bugs when my other guys were too far away to help, or still dealing with more bugs. Not because losing his AEGIS launcher would make it more difficult to swat bugs, but because I didn't feel right possibly causing a Pime Taradox when a lore important character like that dies and he still has so much poo poo to do in Shadowrun canon. Still, he is an Immortal Elf and all, but it just didn't feel right, you know?

Yes, I focus way too much on the lore of this setting, what of it?

Never noticed the "AEGIS guns do a constant 15 damage but the bugs have 40 HP" thing as it wasn't too much of a problem for me, with 3 AEGIS users and good enough ranged stats to pretty much always connect with them. Still, I could see how that'd be really annoying if you had less of the guns or were more poor with their shooting. I remember having to reload after 2 shots being annoying though, and it probably led to a couple of bugs spawning when I didn't need them to if I couldn't get to them in time.

And yeah, Quick Strike was a disappointment. Sure, constant 6 damage for no AP on a short enough cooldown, but just not enough damage, since Harlequin already deals a bunch of damage with his sword. Would've been a lot better if it wasn't bugged and could do additional weapon damage like it was probably intended to.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

GhostStalker posted:

Yeah, I don't remember that either, and I played Returns after Dragonfall had already come out. Dunno what version it was, but it definitely didn't have Harlequin be too underpowered. I never had any problem hiring the Tir Ghost, and I don't think my character had enough Charisma at that point to pick up a second Etiquette, so he must've been below Cha 4.

I do remember the first time I did this mission, I reloaded because Harlequin bled out because I couldn't get to him in time with a DocWagon kit in one of the long corridor sections later on in this mission. Probably because I hadn't him too far ahead with his Adept poo poo, and he got focused down by bugs when my other guys were too far away to help, or still dealing with more bugs. Not because losing his AEGIS launcher would make it more difficult to swat bugs, but because I didn't feel right possibly causing a Pime Taradox when a lore important character like that dies and he still has so much poo poo to do in Shadowrun canon. Still, he is an Immortal Elf and all, but it just didn't feel right, you know?

Yes, I focus way too much on the lore of this setting, what of it?

Never noticed the "AEGIS guns do a constant 15 damage but the bugs have 40 HP" thing as it wasn't too much of a problem for me, with 3 AEGIS users and good enough ranged stats to pretty much always connect with them. Still, I could see how that'd be really annoying if you had less of the guns or were more poor with their shooting. I remember having to reload after 2 shots being annoying though, and it probably led to a couple of bugs spawning when I didn't need them to if I couldn't get to them in time.

And yeah, Quick Strike was a disappointment. Sure, constant 6 damage for no AP on a short enough cooldown, but just not enough damage, since Harlequin already deals a bunch of damage with his sword. Would've been a lot better if it wasn't bugged and could do additional weapon damage like it was probably intended to.

As some one that got him killed as well, he shows up looking just fine for the ending anyway

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
For Kanfy's possible use and completion's sake the dialogue with Mrs. Kubota and its possible resolution
Any grammar or spelling errors are already in the game and i didn't bother to fix it. I am sure i could have edited it better with BBcode, but eh...

First the conversation with Mrs. Kubota in the Seamstress Union after the meeting with Baron Samedi and before the Telestrian run.

(This is just the one path to get the required info. The possible responses branch out quite a bit to the point you might avoid any info on the situation.)

[Mrs. Kubota:]
[The former runner stands near the door, appraising her bar. She appears worried in a way you haven't seen before.]
Konbanwa [Player_Name].

[Player:]
Konbanwa Mrs. Kubota.

[She smiles at your use of japanese] You are a good (man/woman), omae, and a friend of the Seamstress Union. It is unfortunate that we do not have more friends like you.

Trouble?

It is trouble. For many.
I have learned through my contacts that the city is planning to quietly shut down the power grid in Touristville. They espouse many reasons for this "minor rerouting of resources" but i know the truth. They do not want to devote the police manpower to protect their precious citizens who come here to get a taste for the darker side of the sprawl.

Sounds like we have to grease the right palms and this will go away.

[She purses her lips, clearly frustrated.] I believe this is beyond the power of mere money to solve. It is about the power of bureaucracy. The small people live for the convenience of the rich. One bribe cannot change natural law.

The final endgame conversation with Telestrian.

(This time all possible branches for responses. At this point we are not there yet in the lp!)

[i]I do wind forward to the discussion of possible rewards for saving the world from giant bugs[/i.]

[J.T.:]
What would you ask of me?

I hear the city is going to shut down the power grid in a part of the Barrens called Touristville.

I am sure you appreciate a good slum as much as the next shadowrunner. However, i fail to see the significance of the Redmond Barrens or its energy resources in the context of this conversation.

[Option A]
There are people that live there. Good people. They'll have no lights. No heat. It won't be a slum anymore. It will be a graveyard.

Ah, you are being altruistic. Forgive me. I did not exspect such a sentiment from a... from you.
[->FINAL]

[Option B]
Unimportant. Just fix it.

By "fix it" you mean convince municipal government to abandon a bureaucratic process that has likely been in the works for several years. You do not have the grasp how government works.

You're James Telestrian the Third. Municipal government are nothing for the man behind the throne of Tir Taingire.
[->FINAL]

[Option C]
There is a bar in Touristville called the Seamstress Union. I like it there.

So your reward for saving the world is keeping your favourite bar open for business?

Something like that.
[->FINAL]

[FINAL:]
[He sighs.] Very well. I will speak with my contacts on the city's Zoning Board. I am sure there are better uses of their time than shuffling the city's criminal element from one part of the Sprawl to another. Good day.

[Harlequin:]
Looks like you two are best buddies now.

OutofSight fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Nov 19, 2017

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Wow, option C is giving me some Sam Vimes and the Nightwatch Vibes.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

OutofSight posted:

[Harlequin:]
Looks like you two are best buddies now.
:allears:

FoolyCharged posted:

Wow, option C is giving me some Sam Vimes and the Nightwatch Vibes.
It's totally something he would say in a situation like that.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

Kanfy posted:

I'm not 100% on what the requirements were but if you chose your dialogue options poorly you certainly wouldn't end up with the Ghost helping you out, which is pretty lovely because it was essentially a game ender.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

PMush Perfect posted:

gently caress this mission. Maybe I'll have better feelings if I replay DMS/SRR with the patches at some point but honestly, this just really soured me on the first game.

I gave up in this mission and felt like I'd seen what SRR had to offer, interested to find out what I missed.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Zeniel posted:

I'm not 100% on what the requirements were but if you chose your dialogue options poorly you certainly wouldn't end up with the Ghost helping you out, which is pretty lovely because it was essentially a game ender.

Nah. You CAN finish the game with just two Aegis launchers. It's just a damned grind.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Mark me down as someone who gave up on this mission, but in the sense that I just switched on the cheats and blitzed my way through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

OAquinas posted:

Nah. You CAN finish the game with just two Aegis launchers. It's just a damned grind.

Perhaps you can now, but back when Harlequin was dead weight it pushed the limits of possibility pretty drat hard.

• Locked thread