Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
iirc POUM, whom Orwell initially fought with, were also democratically organized( in spite of being trot, not anarchist), at least until the PCE or the soviets militarized their structure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme

HEY GUNS posted:

which one of us studies one of the most oppressed populations in european history? a group of people who were never given a voice by their superiors? despised by both their superiors and civilians? who nevertheless organized themselves into self-governing workers' councils? who regarded themselves as an aristocracy of labor?

their example may (I believe but cannot prove) have led to the mindset of the earliest trade union movements, in the late 18th / earliest 19th century?

you know nothing about the left.

I'm sorry for digging up this post but could you please elaborate on how this worked?
What did a mercenary council do when taking action?
Did they go on strike or maybe find a different company?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Tias posted:

iirc POUM, whom Orwell initially fought with, were also democratically organized( in spite of being trot, not anarchist), at least until the PCE or the soviets militarized their structure.
Yeah, anything to read on that sort of thing other than Homage to Catalonia? Like he said it's an organizational style that relies on the members being extremely motivated, and he notes they were all complete rookies to start with.
Other than like, brigands, the only other example I can think of is maybe Green Beret A-Teams.

Probably be interesting to compare it party management in RPGs.

Edit
^ Or I guess mercs, too.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Cessna posted:

I used to do WWII reenacting as Soviet and, yes, German if the group needed opponents.

You should see the German uniforms. They're an overly complicated disaster. Anyone who says "Germans were efficient" should be slapped with a feldbluse.

Where was this? In Canada, every event with reenactors I've been to had the Germans outnumber the Allies at least ten to one.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

CoolCab posted:

Yeah don’t take silence as endorsement of a side, just an endorsement of this being a lovely argument.

:same:

This being milhist, it is historically inadvisable to start fights you can't win.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I also agree but uh, weren't we specifically having a discussion about the Stalinist Soviet Union w r t warcrimes prosecutions?

Reading page 721 is real interesting. We're having perfectly nice discussions about swords, the emergence of monoplanes, and whether Don Trump should be allowed to authorize a nuclear strike. Then somebody comes along with their Soviets = Nazis hot take. Everyone sort of ignores it beyond the requisite "that's a dumb opinion" and "the western allies did tons of hosed up imperial poo poo too". Then on to 722, out of loving nowhere, one guy ranting about how the Soviet Union wasn't really communist, and we're all secret conservatives or something.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
So yeah, tell me where the erasure of non-Stalinists is because I sure as heck don't see it.

Edit: this is like someone coming in to dispute that the Nazis did bad things with "omg Hitler wasn't a real Nazi, don't you know about the night of the long knives, how dare you erase strasserites, you darn lefties" or something

Fangz fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Nov 17, 2017

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Were there any other guns in history that went ping

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I'm skipping a bunch of pages but I got a query burning in my pocket:

At what stage/under what conditions does raiding and pillaging transition into tributary relationships, and when does that become a more standard state from that?

Like, in my head I can imagine that, you get raided enough by someone and aren't able to deal with them, so it becomes easier to just agree to pay up and skip the bit where they sack you*. Then, presumably, if that goes on long enough and you're a place worth caring about, then tribute becomes something that's worth defending and possibly investing in, and at that point you're functionally just being taxed by an overlord.

I mean, that's my assumption, at least. How long does that take or, more likely I guess, what prompts those kinds of changes (since I can imagine some people loot forever and some people go "Oh holy poo poo this is WAY better than rolling around nicking stuff" basically immediately)?

*I'm aware that there are cases where the guys who're getting protection money then go "ahaha suckers" and raid them anyway, but, I guess that's not universal.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

According to David Graeber, at the point where people start going "this is how it's always been".

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Ensign Expendable posted:

Where was this? In Canada, every event with reenactors I've been to had the Germans outnumber the Allies at least ten to one.

The Wehrmacht hordes are real now?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
If people wanted to talk about intra-left divisions during the Russian civil war or the impact of the Spanish civil war I imagine everyone in this thread will be receptive to that.

The whole X aren't communists because they didn't allow abortion, also gently caress historians, also ideology means that there's no truth, also you are all rightists who can't comprehend the clear truth of my words... gently caress that.

Edit: I would love to see an effort post about the POUM. I'm sure Phi23 can then tell us if they were Communist or not.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Nov 17, 2017

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Nebakenezzer posted:

Me 321 - Three words: Glider. War. Elephants.
You know, when Warlord Games mentioned these as part of their'Operation Seal Lion' campaign, I thought it was something they invented. I guess I for some reason though the Third Reich would not invent something so gargantuan and ridiculous. In hindsight, this was foolish of me.

Speaking of gliders, I admire the British approach to glider pilots being infantrymen once they landed and training them to be special forces in their own right.

The US choice of just grabbing regular infantry and telling them 'you guys are glidermen now' seems like a dick move. They didn't even get bonus pay until after Normandy!

I don't know if this got posted when it first came out, but the Tank Museum did a documentary for Cambrai's 100th anniversary:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=athYWDL9C20

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

I don't want to get too specific, but Western USA.

Generally the ration was US/GIs 5, Germans 5, Soviets 3 (like a Naval Treaty) but it varied from event to event. Sometimes we'd have enough people with Russian stuff to make it worthwhile for a "Russian Front" event, sometimes we'd have a lot of people with US gear and next to no Germans, etc.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
You need two sides? Is this reenactment stuff like, boffer LARP with guns or something? You don't just like, set up a camp and steal chickens and poop in a hole in the ground?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Rockopolis posted:

You need two sides? Is this reenactment stuff like, boffer LARP with guns or something? You don't just like, set up a camp and steal chickens and poop in a hole in the ground?

There are different types of reenactments.

"Public Displays" where you do as you said - set up a camp, talk to people ("yes, that is real food that we're eating"). It's like the dog-and-pony shows we did in the real military. Sometimes we'd a small mock-battle.

"Tacticals" are bit events where everyone runs around in the woods to play soldier. They try to use period-appropriate tactics, but more often than not it turns into "you're dead/are not/am too."

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

OwlFancier posted:

:same:

This being milhist, it is historically inadvisable to start fights you can't win.

But it worked out so well for the Palentine

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Cessna posted:

There are different types of reenactments.

"Public Displays" where you do as you said - set up a camp, talk to people ("yes, that is real food that we're eating"). It's like the dog-and-pony shows we did in the real military. Sometimes we'd a small mock-battle.

"Tacticals" are bit events where everyone runs around in the woods to play soldier. They try to use period-appropriate tactics, but more often than not it turns into "you're dead/are not/am too."

How do you determine who gets shot in a tactical then if it's like childish like that

Do you use blanks? Is that safe?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Generally in a LARP you have the GM and a lot of arguing involved about who won the fight.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

OwlFancier posted:

Generally in a LARP you have the GM and a lot of arguing involved about who won the fight.

That doesn't sound fun tbh

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Phi230 posted:

How do you determine who gets shot in a tactical then if it's like childish like that

Generally you use live ammunition, but due to some calibers being rather expensive, it sometimes devolves into "BANG! YOURE DEAD" shout matches.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Generally you use live ammunition, but due to some calibers being rather expensive, it sometimes devolves into "BANG! YOURE DEAD" shout matches.

How do you use live ammo? You'd expect historically accurate casualties if so

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
The one who can first spot an historical inaccuracy in the opponent's attire, wins.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Phi230 posted:

How do you use live ammo? You'd expect historically accurate casualties if so

Nerds are poor shots and the amount of trees in NA makes it unlikely that you'll get hit by a stray shot.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Phi230 posted:

That doesn't sound fun tbh

You're obviously not a naturally argumentative person.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

OwlFancier posted:

One would think using paintball markers or airsoft guns would reduce the amount of arguing for milsim stuff. One would think.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Phi230 posted:

Yes, you use blanks.

Nenonen posted:

The one who can first spot an historical inaccuracy in the opponent's attire, wins.

I see you're familiar with reenacting.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

What is the most recent period that gets re-enacted? Like, past WWII.
Korea and Vietnam? GWOT? (not counting militia-types)

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

GWOT reenactment exists, as cringy as it must be.

Taiping rebellion reenactment does not exist, however.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Rockopolis posted:

Vietnam is probably the most common.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Rockopolis posted:

Most recent event I went to had a Vietnam battle complete with several vehicles. It was in Oshawa, so I'm pretty sure that most of the Viet Cong was played by white guys.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Comrade Gorbash posted:

One would think using paintball markers or airsoft guns would reduce the amount of arguing for milsim stuff. One would think.

Yeah thats not how that works. Besides, cheaters in both those hobbies exist.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Yeah thats not how that works. Besides, cheaters in both those hobbies exist.
Oh for sure, I meant for the re-enactment adjacent milsim stuff, which is the natural next suggestion. And even without the out-and-out cheaters, you get a lot of "but a real bullet would..." nonsense.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Bobby Digital posted:

Dude had a good run

Subsequently found out that he originally joined as a Private in 1914. Citation for his first M.C. - "For conspicuous gallantry and good leadership while commanding his company, which he led against a formidable strong point. Considerable opposition was overcome, many of the enemy killed, and the position captured. Later, he again led his company with great skill and courage, and was the first to reach a railway cutting, where over 200 prisoners were taken."

Did well after the war as well - he ended up the President of the Institute of Trade Mark Attorneys from 1942-1946. Died in 1961, age 70.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Rockopolis posted:

Mass shootings.

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009

Most recent event I went to had a Vietnam battle complete with several vehicles. It was in Oshawa, so I'm pretty sure that most of the Viet Cong was played by white guys.

I went to an event called Military Odyssey in the UK a couple of years back with a Vietnam battle reconstruction where the VC/NVA were for sure white guys. Also featured a Crusaders vs Saracens set piece battle (Saracens were white guys and gals complete with leader with “comedy” accent).

The same show had GWOT reenactors which was just loving weird especially given that the regular army had recruiting stands there.

Also, I’m p. sure WW2 Germany was the most common re-enactment there, including at least one 12ish year old kid dressed as a member of the Hitler Youth.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Owlkill posted:

Also, I’m p. sure WW2 Germany was the most common re-enactment there, including at least one 12ish year old kid dressed as a member of the Hitler Youth.
Are you sure that was a reenactor?

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Owlkill posted:

I went to an event called Military Odyssey in the UK

Is that the place that’s loaded with vendors selling actual neo-nazi poo poo, or was that some other major UK re-enacting event?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Owlkill posted:

I went to an event called Military Odyssey in the UK a couple of years back with a Vietnam battle reconstruction where the VC/NVA were for sure white guys.

Obligatory https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&s...G4CCPGv65O2biwa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009

Comrade Koba posted:

Is that the place that’s loaded with vendors selling actual neo-nazi poo poo, or was that some other major UK re-enacting event?

Yep, that sounds like the one - I saw at least one stall selling straight up Nazi-themed t-shirts amongst other “memorabilia” that just so happened to be from Germany in the 1933-1944 period.

Oh I also forgot to mention that apparently Confederate re-enactment is a thing in the UK, which I hadn’t anticipated.