Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Kramdar posted:

No, it is a native Earth scorpion on Earth. This actually made me think of a legit gripe, when they use live animals to decorate alien planet sets. I know I have seen examples many times over the years, even in Empire Strikes Back they have that snake on Dagobah.

If the Star Wars galaxy has humans everywhere, why are earthlike snakes so unbelievable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Yeah man, Muscular Biting Tube seems like a fairly basic evolutionary stop and one that has legs in many environments. Except it doesn't have legs in any environments.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

Slime posted:

If the Star Wars galaxy has humans everywhere, why are earthlike snakes so unbelievable?

Sure, on the human planets. Just glue some antennae on it and sell it a little for a Dagobah snake. Unless Dagobah is the Australia of the galaxy and has all the invasive species.

Edit: What if a hound dog just came out of the swamp and starts shaking to dry off? You'd laugh your rear end off. The only thing in Star Wars movies that is like our world are the humans and the concept of Hell. They took the time to make everything else distinctly alien.

Kramdar has a new favorite as of 00:59 on Nov 18, 2017

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

And the snakes. They're pretty similar too.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Imagined posted:

Their time between seasons is absurd, though. A baby born during season 1 will be in college by the time they finish season 7. They should team up with GRRM for the ultimate fan blueball. They took six years to make the last 16 episodes. That's 4.5 months per episode.
You should see British TV.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

to bring this away from star wars again, it never sat well with me that they killed the horse who played Artax in the seminal fantasy epic Story Eithout End

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

also the time that Walt Disney fired a shotgun into a barrel of lemmings and kicked them into the Niagara falls

sorry this is too much, I actually do think it's bad when animals are abused for entertainment

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Powaqoatse posted:

also the time that Walt Disney fired a shotgun into a barrel of lemmings and kicked them into the Niagara falls

sorry this is too much, I actually do think it's bad when animals are abused for entertainment

Look, man, sometimes things suffer for our scientific advancement. For instance, now we know that lemmings can be harmed by gunfire or large falls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQ7J7UjsRqg

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Push El Burrito posted:

Look, man, sometimes things suffer for our scientific advancement. For instance, now we know that lemmings can be harmed by gunfire or large falls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQ7J7UjsRqg

That's fair. Sometimes, we need to transgress the limits of :airquote: appropriate :airquote: behavior in order to discover what really matters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJkWS4t4l0k

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Tough guys drinking black coffee and whiskey; but not just any whiskey; Jack Daniels whiskey.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

:smug: the name is Daniels,
Peter Daniels I mean uh the other name

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Venture Bros is basically a side hobby for a couple of guys in their apartments, iirc. And you're right that even mediocre animation is hella expensive. There's a reason practically half the medium is built around money-saving techniques.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Yea decent animation is hella labor intensive

i think one of the nockFORCE guys is a goon and worked on Venture Bros.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAwKcxHn2HQ

Maybe they still post idk

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There is a guy on Youtube that makes short and cute animations about cats, simons cat?, He made a behind the scenes thing and revealed he has like a dozen animators working for him full time. The cartoons are 3 minutes long and don't even have color.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Slime posted:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Duck/Legends

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Mu Zeta posted:

There is a guy on Youtube that makes short and cute animations about cats, simons cat?, He made a behind the scenes thing and revealed he has like a dozen animators working for him full time. The cartoons are 3 minutes long and don't even have color.

jesus christ, really?

oh wait does he do weekly updates? i only remember him as the guy who did 2-3 funny lil videos in like '12. weekly updates must be hell for an animated channel. its hard enough to get the payouts to support one person & lol now youre supporting an entire team

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ps i like this one a lot cause it shows the process
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQ5ziNOtoMU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Venture Bros is a funny case because a couple of times they tried to have deliberate animation errors as homages to the old cartoons it parodies (mostly Johnny Quest) but the studio doesn't get it and animates the scenes correctly.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

jabby posted:

The worst example of the 'AI is people' has got to be the British TV drama Humans.

You have a bunch of human-appearing robots who are sometimes mistreated by their owners, but who show absolutely no evidence of sentience at all. They have no personality, no emotions, and no ability to act outside of their programming. So naturally the human protagonists, who are appalled by the mistreatment of the machines, decide to release special code that makes all of them develop the ability to think, feel and act for themselves.

For some reason we're meant to root for these motherfuckers, despite the fact that the robots clearly weren't suffering before and they are now. You haven't freed a race from slavery, you've created a new species and simultaneously hosed the labour force of half the planet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQ-ggzfdsMs

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Powaqoatse posted:

to bring this away from star wars again, it never sat well with me that they killed the horse who played Artax in the seminal fantasy epic Story Eithout End

This got debunked a good few years back.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Jedit posted:

This got debunked a good few years back.

no way

The horse who played Artas was literally killed during the filming of Story Eithout End

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Kramdar posted:

The only thing in Star Wars movies that is like our world are the humans and the concept of Hell. They took the time to make everything else distinctly alien.

There's a bunch of English all over Episode IV, and snakes are cool.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

SiKboy posted:

And the snakes. They're pretty similar too.

This is one of the most flawless and comedically crafted posts ever, and I want you to know that.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
When people wrap their coat or a blanket around victims in situations where it's not cold outside. I admit I've never been in a traumatic situation, but I'm pretty sure being uncomfortably warm wouldn't help me cope with it.

Jayme
Jul 16, 2008

yeah I eat rear end posted:

When people wrap their coat or a blanket around victims in situations where it's not cold outside. I admit I've never been in a traumatic situation, but I'm pretty sure being uncomfortably warm wouldn't help me cope with it.

I'm not a paramedic or anything, but from what I understand of it, blankets provide both heat (to help with certain symptoms of shock, like chills and reduced blood flow to extremities) and comfort (the weight around your shoulders can make you feel more secure and safe). I know I've dug out blankets to nest under when I'm having a lovely day, even in the middle of summer.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Shock makes the human body react in hosed up ways, especially when there's physical trauma involved.

Everyone should take a basic first aid course.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

My IMM from Logan was injections.

So many movies do this. If you want to give someone an injection your either give it into a vein, or into a large muscle depending on the drug. What you don't do is jab a needle into their chest (like he did to the Professor) or into their neck (like he did to himself).

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
You'll love Stranger Things 2. They go for the veins on the arm but jam the needle in vertically. :v:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Jayme posted:

I'm not a paramedic or anything, but from what I understand of it, blankets provide both heat (to help with certain symptoms of shock, like chills and reduced blood flow to extremities) and comfort (the weight around your shoulders can make you feel more secure and safe). I know I've dug out blankets to nest under when I'm having a lovely day, even in the middle of summer.

The blankets that come in our standard first aid kits actually have two sides, one dark to provide warmth and one reflective to cool down.

At least, that's what I thought, until during an actual first-aid course the instructor just told us flat-out that it doesn't make a lick of difference, it's 100% psychological.

DecentHairJelly
Jul 24, 2007

I don't want Fop goddamnit

Zwille posted:

You'll love Stranger Things 2. They go for the veins on the arm but jam the needle in vertically. :v:

Yeah they smash that needle straight into his elbow like they were trying to hit cartilage.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Perestroika posted:

The blankets that come in our standard first aid kits actually have two sides, one dark to provide warmth and one reflective to cool down.

At least, that's what I thought, until during an actual first-aid course the instructor just told us flat-out that it doesn't make a lick of difference, it's 100% psychological.

A dark surface absorbs more heat and emits more heat. A reflective one reflects more heat and emits less heat. So under a lot of conditions it's kind of a wash.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
I've just finished watching the Punisher on Netflix and I was (ir)rationally irritated by the whataboutism regarding gun control in a show where the main hero superpower is guns. Apart from the villains, the show has two main cowardly and lovely characters: the Stolen Valor, NRA, ((Jews)) vet and for some reason the gun control senator. The show goes out of its way to make him unsympathetic: he is always opposite to the protagonists in interests, he lies about Frank to get political traction and leaves Karen to die, he has an interview with Karen that is basically strawman.txt. They even have Billy be super smuggo about "if you're against guns why do you have an armed detail now that you have received death threats" - that's exactly the gun control point, as in: there is a problem with the possibility of being killed by guns because there are too many, not that security or police shouldn't carry guns; especially in a world where you can literally buy alien super lasers from an unmarked van under a bridge. And yeah of course another thing that makes the Senator a shitstain is that he is using a PMC to do that.

Now I don't want to derail this into politics but I was really surprised negatively by the fact that Netflix, usually quite progressive, had to take this weird stance "both sides are terrible", especially in a moment like this. The way the show is shot, it makes it clear that it's not an opinion of a character... It's the one truth in this specific word / timeline. Right wing gun nuts are bad but so are liberal soft hearts; not even by Frank's word, ironically. I wouldn't have issues with the Punisher himself being super NRA, Second Amendment, yuns forever.

Edit: typos.

That Italian Guy has a new favorite as of 09:36 on Nov 20, 2017

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

That Italian Guy posted:

I've just finished watching the Punisher on Netflix and I was (ir)rationally irritated by the whataboutism regarding gun control in a show where the main hero superpower is guns. Apart from the villains, the show has two main cowardly and lovely characters: the Stolen Valor, NRA, ((Jews)) vet and for some reason the gun control senator. The show goes out of its way to make him unsympathetic: he is always opposite to the protagonists in interests, he lies about Frank to get political traction and leaves Karen to die, he has an interview with Karen that is basically strawman.txt. They even have Billy be super smuggo about "if you're against guns why do you have an armed detail now that you have received death threats" - that's exactly the gun control point, as in: there is a problem with the possibility of being killed by guns because there are too many, not that security or police shouldn't carry guns; especially in a world where you can literally buy alien super lasers from an unmarked van under a bridge. And yeah of course another thing that makes the Senator a shitstain is that he is using a PMC to do that.

Now I don't want to derail this into politics but I was really surprised negatively by the fact that Netflix, usually quite progressive, had to take this weird stance "both sides are terrible", especially in a moment like this. The way the show is shot, it makes it clear that it's not an opinion of a character... It's the one truth in this specific word / timeline. Right wing gun nuts are bad but so are liberal soft hearts; not even by Frank's word, ironically. I wouldn't have issues with the Punisher himself being super NRA, Second Amendment, yuns forever.

Edit: typos.

Punisher Max was a fantastic comic and it ended probably the only way Franks story ever could he gets killed because he's and old man and age and battle wounds finally caught up to him. Nick Fury finds his hideout and picks up one of the war journals and in disgust just torches everything rather than let Frank leave his perverse legacy behind.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Inescapable Duck posted:

Venture Bros is a funny case because a couple of times they tried to have deliberate animation errors as homages to the old cartoons it parodies (mostly Johnny Quest) but the studio doesn't get it and animates the scenes correctly.

A little tidbit I love is the face CN asked them to have less Pete White and Billy because the colours were harder to do or something. So naturally they become main cast members.

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!
Just saw Thor: Ragnarok--not bad overall! One weird thing jumped out at me though, and I want to know if anyone else noticed or if I'm just crazy...

Was Odin's eye patch CGI?

In this movie he wears a regular tied-on-with-string eye patch rather than the fancy metal one he's had in past movies. And every time they showed him in close up shots, something looked unnatural, and I think it was the eye patch. The string going around his head, in particular, seemed to reflect the ambient light differently than the rest of his face. Once I noticed I couldn't stop staring at it, and I'm fairly confident that there was something CGI about it. But if so...why? Seems like an odd thing to CGI.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Patattack posted:

Just saw Thor: Ragnarok--not bad overall! One weird thing jumped out at me though, and I want to know if anyone else noticed or if I'm just crazy...

Was Odin's eye patch CGI?

In this movie he wears a regular tied-on-with-string eye patch rather than the fancy metal one he's had in past movies. And every time they showed him in close up shots, something looked unnatural, and I think it was the eye patch. The string going around his head, in particular, seemed to reflect the ambient light differently than the rest of his face. Once I noticed I couldn't stop staring at it, and I'm fairly confident that there was something CGI about it. But if so...why? Seems like an odd thing to CGI.

Well Odin's disguised as a regular dude when they meet him on Earth. It's possible the original script had him without an eyepatch while disguised; then they decided to retroactively add it since it makes all kind of sense to have him have it. I would have to have a look at the eyepatch again though, didn't notice anything unusual the first time.

Speaking of CGI popping up in weird places, I've read somewhere that they had to digitally remove Cavill's moustache from every Justice League reshoot cause he was shooting another movie at the time. Haven't seen JL yet...is this evident at all?

That Italian Guy has a new favorite as of 14:18 on Nov 20, 2017

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

ahahah holy poo poo, it is.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Hollywood is great. He could either shave it and put on a realistic mustache for a few hundred bucks or spend hundreds of thousands to remove it through computers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

Hollywood is great. He could either shave it and put on a realistic mustache for a few hundred bucks or spend hundreds of thousands to remove it through computers.

Well, to be fair the "shave it an use a prop" was specifically vetoed by the company producing the other movie (as in "he's shooting our movie, he won't shave down for yours), but still you could probably come up with something that avoids :catstare:'ing.

Actually, it's :catstare: with a poo poo eating grin instead.