Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Genghis Cohen posted:

So this evening a friend & regular 40k opponent and I went round a local gaming cafe to play some random people. This place is walking distance from my flat, so I figured it was worth the effort. I’d asked on the place’s Facebook page if anyone was up for a game. Always a bit chancy, but what do I have to lose eh?

Well, it was a reminder of why 40k is a great time with friends but can be uninspiring if you don’t click with the people you play with. These weren’t bad guys, they just had nothing interesting to say, no real banter. We played on the cafe’s tables which were a couple 4x4 GW plastic boards with a few tiny bits and pieces of age of sigmar terrain (for some reason). This is partly the fault of the anaemic terrain rules, but here misogyny as well have been no cover, since it could only really block los to single models! And 1500 pts on a 4x4 is pretty crowded in my book.

I won a rather dull game against a dark angels shooting list featuring the shooty bubble and 4+ invulnerable bubble of their special character. The worst I can say of my opponent was he just seemed to have a lot of misplaced knowledge of the game. He kept thinking weapons were different strengths or ap or damage, he spent a few minutes trying to explain why wound degradation didn’t affect heavy bolsters on his vehicles, only the main gun. Bizarre. Not all stuff in his favour or anything, he just seemed to be confidently playing with the wrong rules.

My friend, though, had a crap evening. We pride ourselves on being good losers when necessary, but I could tell he didn’t enjoy his game at all. He had practically all melee tyranids (his only shooting was S4 and S3) and his opponent pulled out an army consisting of 4 leman Russ tanks (1 tank commander, making it a spearhead detachment) and 2 hellhounds. I’m all for hard armies and bringing your A game, but who arranges a first time meeting pick up game with someone and brings that sort of thing? Tanks were all bare grey plastic, natch.

In summary: we played 40k, but it wasn’t much fun. Does anyone know fun people who like war hammer in the Birmingham area? UK, not USA.

I had some fun games of 40k with this lot when I lived in brum: http://www.octoberwargames.co.uk/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

The Sex Cannon posted:

I plan on doing the 40k Gentlemen's on Thursday, the 40k Friendly (not actually friendly) on Friday and then Blood Bowl over the weekend. Come play, my lord.

You're sorely tempting me to do the Gentlemans on Thrusday and something else on Friday.

But no, I'm already blowing a bunch of vacation time on some family baloney in January so I'm sticking to my schedule. wife made some bad noises when I floated this idea

Option 2, go to work on Friday and Gentleman's thursday. I had a really good experience at the Gentleman's Tourney at Dragon Fall.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Going to make Forgeworld purchase.

Grabbing a Falchion and either a Leviathan with 2xGrav Bombard, or a Fire Raptor. I have heard the Fire Raptor is a pain in the rear end to assemble. So, i am leaning towards the Leviathan.

Any thoughts before I order?

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
I'm in Birmingham and extremely not competitive (my armies aren't the super hard tournament kind), though I'm likely to try to rope you into Shadespire and possibly even filming games to put them on the internet.

I have been working away a lot recently and I'm trying to find the time to put together a set up for gaming at home and enough terrain to do so.

Where in Brum are you?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo a new badcast. My drive home from work just got a lot better.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Raphus C posted:

I had some fun games of 40k with this lot when I lived in brum: http://www.octoberwargames.co.uk/

This is a good bet as well, and let's you play tourney players or casual players, or just play enormous amounts of Bolt Action or Antares.

Thundercloud fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Nov 18, 2017

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

dexefiend posted:

Grabbing a Falchion and either a Leviathan with 2xGrav Bombard, or a Fire Raptor. I have heard the Fire Raptor is a pain in the rear end to assemble. So, i am leaning towards the Leviathan.

If you get a Leviathan get a set of melee arms too. They're easy as hell to magnetize.

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Who speaks for the Man's cub?

bonds0097 posted:

He'd get the codex path of command. Because path of command is a rule in the codex and its codex definition supersedes the definition in the index.

Regarding deepstrike, dunno. That probably needs a faq. If I were playing, I'd let you use the Warp Strike rule but you still roll 2d6 and on a roll of 2, bye bye autarch. So kind of risky.

Ahh, that's good, I wasn't sure. Thanks!

Yeah, I'd imagine he doesn't get it because he didn't get the Flickerfield effect that Warp Spider units get (which also has an "oops, we died" effect.) A bit of risk is always fun though.

Maybe he'll see the table yet. :3

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Pendent posted:

:)

I felt like sneaking one in today. I hope you don't mind ;)

Also...

:siren: Adepticon registration is open!:siren:

So get off your asses and come play in the Gentlemen's Tournament on Thursday and the 40k Friendly on Friday and also Blood Bowl on Saturday and Sunday :shh: if you want to hang with cha boy T.S. Cannon.

dexefiend posted:

get a loving Astraeus you pussy

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

The Sex Cannon posted:

Ima wait for the second turret they release. The autocannon just doesn't do it for me.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Pendent posted:

Sempais noticed me :allears:

The Sex Cannon posted:

:siren: Adepticon registration is open!:siren:

So get off your asses and come play in the Gentlemen's Tournament on Thursday and the 40k Friendly on Friday and also Blood Bowl on Saturday and Sunday :shh: if you want to hang with cha boy T.S. Cannon.

Super loving tempted to do it. How quick do tickets usually sell out?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The Sex Cannon posted:

I just bought a Glaive. A tank so powerful it doesn't even have rules in 40k.

:c00lbert:

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
Apparently really quick. By the time I got through the slammed site, the Thursday Gentleman's was sold out.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
There were twenty tickets left for the Thursday Gentleman's when I added it to my agenda, and by the time I got through checkout I'm on the waitlist. gently caress me.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Yo my dudes - Colin Ward from The Independent Characters podcast had his really amazing AdMech army stolen today out of his house. He's up in the San Jose, CA area.

Keep an eye out for it on trade sites and what not if you can. Really lovely.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

The Sex Cannon posted:

I plan on doing the 40k Gentlemen's on Thursday, the 40k Friendly (not actually friendly) on Friday and then Blood Bowl over the weekend. Come play, my lord.

Everybody do exactly this.

Also, I love that loving Astraeus. I'm just sayin', but it would look fantastic in Raven Guard black...

Eh, maybe I'm not. I slept in a little tonight and wasn't on to jump right on registration, and both of the Gentlemen's are filled. There's really not much else on this list I really want to be at, so maybe I'll give Adepticon a pass this year.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Are thieves seriously stealing 40k stuff now

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

goose willis posted:

Are thieves seriously stealing 40k stuff now

It's not an uncommon occurrence. Because people keep their precious space barbies in heavy cases, most thieves think they're guns/expensive equipment and swipe them. Or they realise what it is and try to flip them online.

Or there was this one time a crackhead stole a box of Elves off the shelf at the store I worked, then sold it to the pawn shop DIRECTLY AROUND THE CORNER. That was an experience.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

If only he realized the elves were more expensive than his crack

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012
Cross post from the painting thread:

Major Spag posted:

Red Cross blood donation truck incoming:

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I saw a picture of a Trygon with blue ice colors and a snowy base, pretty sure it was in this thread. I can't for the life of me find it again (including on Google), does anyone know what I'm talking about?

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Unless they've changed something all the SC boxes come with all the parts/variants that the individual kits do, so it'll have the prime and mawloc parts. Also echoing the Trygon as my favourite recent GW kit, I don't even collect 'Nids but it's so cool and I had to do one:

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

The Sex Cannon posted:

I'll see you thursday.

In other news, Craftworld Jodorowski test piece is go.

I've got some changes to make but I'm happy with where the dry run ended up.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
If you like bad accents, wedding horror stories, and extremely late episodes, this Badcast is for you!
https://40kbadcast.com/2017/11/17/40k-badcast-20-no-rubels-for-my-boobels/

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I've been having trouble sleeping tonight due to being sick so I picked up The Devastation of Baal as soon as it came available.

And because there are some things that I really need to know I looked at the end.

A bunch of stuff happens thats mostly important for Blood Angels fans but there's one change that's worth noting for everyone:

Guilliman names Dante the leader of the Imperium Nihilus, which consists of everything north of the rift

Edit:I wonder if this will be reflected in the rules for Dante, making him a mini-Guilliman

Pendent fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Nov 18, 2017

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Thundercloud posted:

I'm in Birmingham and extremely not competitive (my armies aren't the super hard tournament kind), though I'm likely to try to rope you into Shadespire and possibly even filming games to put them on the internet.

I have been working away a lot recently and I'm trying to find the time to put together a set up for gaming at home and enough terrain to do so.

Where in Brum are you?

Ok, cool. Would be well up to try a game some time. If necessary, I have a 4x4 table and some terrain at my place, in Digbeth. (Forums user ineptmule can testify that I am unlikely to be a murderer or anything bad) I a, only really available on weekends, if that’s alright?

Raphus C posted:

This looks like a really good club, I’ve been to the venue for infinity tournaments once or twice, unfortunately Tuesdays are no good for me. Thanks though.

Corrode posted:

Are you anywhere near Meeple Mayhem? My friend owns it and might be able to hook you up. Or you went there and I need to tell him to sort his life out, ha.

Otherwise I know a bunch of guys but probably more competitive than you're looking for, and depends where in Brum you are.

Yeah, although i’m happy to play against a competitive army, I don’t really want every game to be a grinding slog against the biggest characters, cheapest chaff wounds, most smiting psykers etc in the game. I’m in digbeth though and happy to know any of these guys. Being a cool dude is worth more than any army list for having a good game.

No, the place was called Geek Retreat. I will look meeple mayhem up now.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

DiHK posted:

I'll see you thursday.

In other news, Craftworld Jodorowski test piece is go.

I've got some changes to make but I'm happy with where the dry run ended up.

That's insane. I love it.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Genghis Cohen posted:

Ok, cool. Would be well up to try a game some time. If necessary, I have a 4x4 table and some terrain at my place, in Digbeth. (Forums user ineptmule can testify that I am unlikely to be a murderer or anything bad) I a, only really available on weekends, if that’s alright?

This looks like a really good club, I’ve been to the venue for infinity tournaments once or twice, unfortunately Tuesdays are no good for me. Thanks though.

Yeah, although i’m happy to play against a competitive army, I don’t really want every game to be a grinding slog against the biggest characters, cheapest chaff wounds, most smiting psykers etc in the game. I’m in digbeth though and happy to know any of these guys. Being a cool dude is worth more than any army list for having a good game.

No, the place was called Geek Retreat. I will look meeple mayhem up now.

Yeah, I'm Birmingham based and I now have all my painted Carcharadons back from the cabinets in GW Birmingham (they still have some of my terrain though) and I can easily put together 1000 points/50 levels of marines. I've also got all the current Shadespire stuff. I generally am available weekends as well.

October is a solid club with a big variety of stuff.

The Geek retreat crowd can be a bit 'that guy' but there are in fact two different crowds, one that used to be the Manaleak group (before they left some terrain with Manaleak and it went missing) and the GW Birmingham club. I will sometimes be in GW Birmingham painting on a Thursday night, but nowhere near as much as I used to since my girlfriend moved in.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Genghis Cohen posted:

I can indeed. I have in fact met both of you and can affirm swell dude status in each case.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I registered for Adepticon and will be appearing at Gentleman's Tourney B (the friday one) and the 40k Team Tourney on Saturday and Sunday as Thousand Sons, teaming up with World Eaters, Death Guard and Emperor's Children so let me know if youre a cool dude and going!

also an Age of Sigmar narrative event on Thursday no one gives a crap about but me.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

RagnarokAngel posted:

also an Age of Sigmar narrative event on Thursday no one gives a crap about but me.

Frostgrave on Saturday, Test of Honor on Sunday, just saying

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Thundercloud posted:

Yeah, I'm Birmingham based and I now have all my painted Carcharadons back from the cabinets in GW Birmingham (they still have some of my terrain though) and I can easily put together 1000 points/50 levels of marines. I've also got all the current Shadespire stuff. I generally am available weekends as well.

October is a solid club with a big variety of stuff.

The Geek retreat crowd can be a bit 'that guy' but there are in fact two different crowds, one that used to be the Manaleak group (before they left some terrain with Manaleak and it went missing) and the GW Birmingham club. I will sometimes be in GW Birmingham painting on a Thursday night, but nowhere near as much as I used to since my girlfriend moved in.

Cool beans. There was nothing wrong with the guys at geek retreat per se - they just had none of the personality which makes for a good game! (Although perhaps they went away saying the same of me, I shouldn’t judge)

Give me a bell if you fancy a game on the weekend, in any case, 1000 points works well for my table. jasper_clifford at hotmail.com

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Chapter Approved up for preorder 11/25.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Preview is up on Warhammer Community.

- 5 hardpoints for weapons
- main weapon (the ones on the side) determine transport capacity
- can add sponson weapons
- rules are just guidelines to experiment with conversions (they mention Predators and the larger Tyrannids)

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I'm guessing that means no codex releases for the rest of November. There aren't a ton of release windows in December before Christmas so I'm beginning to expect we'll see both books at the same time.

I just want my Codex :( The Devastation of Baal has me really excited for my Blood Angels.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

They already said the Angels were in December. 9th seems likeliest right now.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Dark/Blood Angels in December, Daemons in January.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
They said before the end of the year at the beginning of November so a lot of us have been holding out hope for a late November release. Pretty unlikely at this point though.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Genghis Cohen posted:

Cool beans. There was nothing wrong with the guys at geek retreat per se - they just had none of the personality which makes for a good game! (Although perhaps they went away saying the same of me, I shouldn’t judge)

Give me a bell if you fancy a game on the weekend, in any case, 1000 points works well for my table. jasper_clifford at hotmail.com

I think there is a lot to be said for the more sociable and chill things than meeting strange guys in clubs.

My biglys aren't all painted, and they definitely aren't competition level. I will dig them out though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

drat. Too bad they're intending it mostly.for open play, I could be very down with a Hellfrost-packing SW Land Raider once they let biglies ride in cars.