Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Powaqoatse posted:

phone tips:

- always on silent

This is the most important and one of the only social behaviors I wouldn't mind if were legislated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

spankmeister posted:

Who uses the telephone these days anyway?

sometimes i call my mom, sometimes she calls me. also sometimes it's just easier/faster to talk something through on the phone than to text it out. no big deal

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

spankmeister posted:

lol at making a phone call in 2017

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

sometimes i call my mom, sometimes she calls me. also sometimes it's just easier/faster to talk something through on the phone than to text it out. no big deal

loved ones who want to talk are my only exceptions these days

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
so do you guys have phone anxiety or what

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

no. years of idiot sales dudes calling my work phone line conditioned me to stop answering my phone.

I obviously still answer when it’s someone I know since I only get calls from them when it’s important

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

This is the most important and one of the only social behaviors I wouldn't mind if were legislated.

sometimes i hear a song or a loop or something and think "heh, thatd be a pretty good ringtone"

i havent had a ringtone since the 1990s why do i still care

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

but actually, my cell provider has been calling me for a couple weeks

well 3 times in 6 weeks. so i finally picked up (looked up the number online so i knew who it was) and they were like "hey, you dont use part of your subscription, is it cool if we turn that off and you pay less?" and im like ok.

theyre super desperate to hang onto subscribers its lovely

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

RISCy Business posted:

i'm just at the point where i don't pick up the phone unless the person is in contacts or i'm expecting a call

nobody who isn't in my contacts is going to call me with a real, actual emergency

Even if it's someone you know calling from some random phone, they can leave a message and I'll call them back immediately. I just always default to voicemail if I don't have the number as a contact.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
normal phone is deprecated now, any voice-only call is better via FaceTime Audio (or i guess Signal voice-only)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

cis autodrag posted:

Google just constantly has a traffic update in my notification tray and it's always "it bad". Thanks Google.

google has taken to telling me that traffic on my commute is heavy "as usual"

true, but depressing. need I be reminded this is the usual state ?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

google has taken to telling me that traffic on my commute is heavy "as usual"

true, but depressing. need I be reminded this is the usual state ?

Yes.

"Hmm, traffic is heavy on this lovely highway at rush hour, is that "the usual" heavy or "this is heavy even for the usual rush hour traffic, time to abandon any hope of moving over the next hour and just find a place to pull over" heavy?"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Should I take transit?

That is not possible at this time

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

bzzzz

you're currently stuck in traffic

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

flakeloaf posted:

bzzzz

you're currently stuck in traffic

yesterday waze was like "we're detecting a slowdown, are you stuck in traffic" and i was so frustrated i actually yelled "YES I'M loving STUCK IN TRAFFIC" at my phone

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Lysidas posted:

normal phone is deprecated now, any voice-only call is better via FaceTime Audio (or i guess Signal voice-only)

last time i had a landline was in 07ish, my dorm had the phone system combined with the door buzzer system.

im super cool

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

infernal machines posted:

Should I take transit?

That is not possible at this time

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

there's an open wifidirect printer in this building

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

cinci zoo sniper posted:

there's an open wifidirect printer in this building

You know what must be done.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Zil posted:

You know what must be done.

yes but i ain't a poop toucher

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

print a nice note telling them that their printer is open to the world, and give them a link to a page with instructions on securing it

you’ll feel good, give it a try

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

print a nice note telling them that their printer is open to the world, and give them a link to a page with instructions on securing it

this sure, i can fix that up when i get to setting my computer up. i thought goatseing was implied

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Well, you need something to get their attention long enough to read the helpful instructions!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

Wasn't there a guy that would scan the internet for HP printers that had some half-assed cloud software with swiss-cheese security? And he would print out an alert with instructions on how to lock it down on those very printers?

Could be a fever dream, but I seem to recall something like that in the murky depths of my early-onset dementia.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Bhodi posted:

Well, you need something to get their attention long enough to read the helpful instructions!

gdi. can we at least wait until monday? today is independence day and tomorrow is sunday

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Subjunctive posted:

welcome to jail

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

cinci zoo sniper posted:

gdi. can we at least wait until monday? today is independence day and tomorrow is sunday

that means nobody will know. just print a collage of butterflies and flowers and vladimir ilyitch lenin and snow drifting down and rainbows and karl marx and the gentle waters and

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Proteus Jones posted:

Wasn't there a guy that would scan the internet for HP printers that had some half-assed cloud software with swiss-cheese security? And he would print out an alert with instructions on how to lock it down on those very printers?

Could be a fever dream, but I seem to recall something like that in the murky depths of my early-onset dementia.

google search:
inurl:hp/device/this.LCDispatcher?nav=hp.Print

of course what's happening there is that these are not just printers exposed to the internet when this is supposed to be only intranet facing, these are even printers exposed with proper domain names assigned to them for some reason. google doesn't find the ones that are just a plain ip address so easily

"Note: Only ’print-ready’ (*.ps, *.pdf, *.prn ) or printer firmware (*.rfu) files will be accepted and processed.
Select the file to upload from your hard disk or network file server. "

:v:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Powaqoatse posted:

welcome to jail

sure

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Proteus Jones posted:

that was weev and it wasn’t helpful instructions it was nazi stuff

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Jimmy Carter posted:

well, looking at the internet now, the instructions seem to have worked

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jimmy Carter posted:

there was another guy, but the antiweev didn't get the same press as weev did

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

spankmeister posted:

The same people who still send faxes, also this:

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

also sometimes it's just easier/faster to talk something through on the phone than to text it out.

fishmech posted:

these are even printers exposed with proper domain names assigned to them for some reason.
I'd be willing to bet that they're using DHCP hostnames in DNS and exposing that DNS to the world. UToledo did this back when I was there. Everything got a public IP and the DNS system would accept the hostname your machine sent. If you had done a lookup for "bender.ptl.utoledo.edu" in 2004/2005 you'd have got the IP of my laptop (assuming I was in my dorm, if I was elsewhere around campus that subdomain would be different).

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES

What stops some skilled* organised criminal** setting up some market research company to get mass data from app vendors with plausible deniability, then offering it out on the side as a people stalking service with some minor aggregation?

poo poo, if you offered it out with differentials based on popularity and difficulty (da would like to find friend, 65+ jam loving vegetarian tovarisch in north London vs i want to know when a chai-drinking vegan who walks her dogs and plays pokemon go is in Ullswater SO SHE WILL LOVE ME AGAIN!) you could probably get VC capital

*can use pivot tables, moderate copywriting skills
**paid a tenner to register a company

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
is there a company who uses an adjective in their name that isn't in reality the exact opposite

like, a single company

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Bhodi posted:

is there a company who uses an adjective in their name that isn't in reality the exact opposite

like, a single company

krispy kreme is not crispy :thunk:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Wootcannon posted:

What stops some skilled* organised criminal** setting up some market research company to get mass data from app vendors with plausible deniability, then offering it out on the side as a people stalking service with some minor aggregation?

poo poo, if you offered it out with differentials based on popularity and difficulty (da would like to find friend, 65+ jam loving vegetarian tovarisch in north London vs i want to know when a chai-drinking vegan who walks her dogs and plays pokemon go is in Ullswater SO SHE WILL LOVE ME AGAIN!) you could probably get VC capital

*can use pivot tables, moderate copywriting skills
**paid a tenner to register a company

probably isn't that much money in that, compared to the fat stacks companies will pay for targeted advertising

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

syscall girl posted:

krispy kreme is not crispy :thunk:
not when optimally served, no. that is, still warm right out of the oven. close one though

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Walmart doesnt even sell wall stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

e != q

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Nov 18, 2017