Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Mymla posted:

I'm about to buy Endless Legend. Is any of the DLC kinda must have or should I just get the base game?

You should pause and consider that you can get the whole thing for cheap in a month or two. EL always goes really cheap during sales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Det_no posted:

You should pause and consider that you can get the whole thing for cheap in a month or two. EL always goes really cheap during sales.

This. Wait for a sale, get the whole smack at once. Not that it isn't a great game with great value in the base game, but patience will serve you well here.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Mokinokaro posted:

Start with the base.

Cool, thanks.

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.

Annath posted:

Is there a good intro or let's play for Endless Legend?

I love the look of the game, but it's incredibly dense on mechanics and systems.

I would disable all the expansions for a first playthrough, then you'll know whats core to the game and what's more of an addon

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Annath posted:

Is there a good intro or let's play for Endless Legend?

I love the look of the game, but it's incredibly dense on mechanics and systems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOFhs-wsNEo&list=PLa53kfJdPTHCyWFQi02JSD64RZ-milhmO

This guy has some good tutorials. Every time I jump back in, I watch his combat tutorials to refresh.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Looks like there is an update for ES2 on the way that will shake up diplomacy, alliances, pirates, weapon balance and the impacts of the academy quest. Eg, you can drop "attack here" and "defend here" pings on the map that allies can see; the AI will place and respond to them too. Sounds like a lot of stuff that the game really needs.

They've also got a "write the Unfallen population quest" competition up at the moment, so you might like to give that a go. (Alternatively, vote for my dreadful contribution, "seeds of treason.")

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Some info on the upcoming patch here. Getting some of the jank out of the diplomacy system, finally. So far they've talked about making it more clear what actually influences diplomatic pressure, changing up demands so that instead of refusals just being a war dec, you can actually impose economic sanctions on an empire that refuses you, and also getting some bonuses for controlling the majority of a constellation.

Still holding out hope for some changes to the alliance system, because it is currently a dumpster fire.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Looking forward to some new life in ES2. I feel like I've played it out for now, and I love it, but I need something to shake it up just a little.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

BobTheJanitor posted:

Some info on the upcoming patch here. Getting some of the jank out of the diplomacy system, finally. So far they've talked about making it more clear what actually influences diplomatic pressure, changing up demands so that instead of refusals just being a war dec, you can actually impose economic sanctions on an empire that refuses you, and also getting some bonuses for controlling the majority of a constellation.

Still holding out hope for some changes to the alliance system, because it is currently a dumpster fire.

Oh good they're finally making pressure and demands make any sense at all. It was always really stupid that your options were "declare war" and "devote resources to increasing your political pressure so you can make a demand and immediately be refused resulting in war"

At least now there'll be some point to the demand system.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Jeez, Impossible AI in Endless Legend is brutal. Do they just get infinite Settlers or something?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Jeez, Impossible AI in Endless Legend is brutal. Do they just get infinite Settlers or something?

It's always the extra xp boost per turn that the AI units get that messes with me. Especially since I seem to be next the Necrophages every game.

I've encountered the AI expanding rapidly often enough, but not every game.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

One more post on the upcoming ES2 changes. Main thing here is that pirates no longer will inexplicably spawn from minor faction planets that might otherwise have good relations with you, now they'll have their own random neutral planets that spit out units until you come in and crush them. So basically more like Civ IV barbs. Also that end game academy quest that no one ever finishes will now have some rewards/disadvantages if you win or fail it. (Doesn't mention if they're reworking it to actually be something you're likely to finish before the game ends though, so welp) Also a log of finished games and some graphical polish. No changes mentioned to alliances. Color me underwhelmed at this supposedly major diplomacy patch. :sigh:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The changes to Alliances was the first post, actually, it just wasn't linked here. Perhaps underwhelming regardless.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Clarste posted:

The changes to Alliances was the first post, actually, it just wasn't linked here. Perhaps underwhelming regardless.

Oh, I had missed that. Kind of good, maybe? It at least seems to imply you can leave the alliance if they try declaring stupid wars that you don't want. Although it's not clear if you're going to get that option for other things, like if they just switch to cold war or want to declare peace with someone you're trying to wipe out, or whatever.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Endless Space 2 on Steam is on a free weekend until Monday at noon or something, and is also on sale for 50% off.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

The patch is also out now. Pretty curious how it shakes things up, but the changes to pirates alone sound pretty golden.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

What the gently caress did they do to pirates? Like all the systems get taken over on turn 10 and I can't colonize poo poo anymore with money because pirates. What the gently caress is up with all these pirates?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
ENDLESS SPACE 2 IS FREE TO PLAY FOR THREE MORE DAYS

Holy poo poo thread why did you not tell me this how much time have I lost already arggghh

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006
Thoughts on Endless Space 2 for 20 bucks?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Do you like Space 4x? then get this game!

There is a community event going on, more people play ES2 the more poo poo we get.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

what event? i can't find it. edit: found it, its only on the main store page. not on games2gether or in an announcement

also the way the implemented the new content is kinda lovely. you gotta download the free content from the steam store, but that just launches the game. so you have to launch and exit the game for each dlc to make it appear. still doesn't show as owned in the store for me though

Davincie fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Nov 17, 2017

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Kudaros posted:

it's an interesting but flawed game, but, like, it's also free for a few days, so just play it and decide whether you like it enough to spend $20?

Helion
Apr 28, 2008

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

it's an interesting but flawed game, but, like, it's also free for a few days, so just play it and decide whether you like it enough to spend $20?

Can you elaborate on its flaws por favor?

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Krinkle posted:

What the gently caress did they do to pirates? Like all the systems get taken over on turn 10 and I can't colonize poo poo anymore with money because pirates. What the gently caress is up with all these pirates?

The patch was supposed to make them spawn from their own neutral worlds, instead of from minor civ planets. I would have assumed they would have set the rate that pirate worlds were seeded in the galaxy to be about the same as the rate that minor civ planets would appear, but maybe someone screwed up and upped the spawn rate? I haven't actually tried the new patch yet, maybe someone else can chime in.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Kudaros posted:

It had a lot of bugs at release - and those appear to be ironed out so it's an overall solid game. It's not a great game, but for $20 it's hard not to recommend it as you will get quite a few hours out of it and it's overall enjoyable and quite pretty.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Kudaros posted:

Echoing "play it for free for three days to do some research". Its what I am doing.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Helion posted:

Can you elaborate on its flaws por favor?

It's basically the same as almost every Space 4x. Diplomacy is weak, warfare is basic, limited variety in military units, etc... At first release there were a lot of unfinished and buggy quests that would prevent you from focusing on that side of the game but most of those have been worked out.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the ai is also a total pushover

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Davincie posted:

the ai is also a total pushover

I've only played one game so far this free weekend - about 100 turns of the Cravers and... yeah, the AI (on Normal) seemed really, REALLY passive. I was just eating star systems left and right and, aside from a tut-tut from Horatio, I wasn't being aggressed at all, even as I was only about 4 systems away from a Conquest victory. Do higher difficulty settings make the AI any more aggressive or not so much?

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Memnaelar posted:

I've only played one game so far this free weekend - about 100 turns of the Cravers and... yeah, the AI (on Normal) seemed really, REALLY passive. I was just eating star systems left and right and, aside from a tut-tut from Horatio, I wasn't being aggressed at all, even as I was only about 4 systems away from a Conquest victory. Do higher difficulty settings make the AI any more aggressive or not so much?

They are more aggressive, and get a bunch of production bonuses, but they aren't any smarter.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

nessin posted:

They are more aggressive, and get a bunch of production bonuses, but they aren't any smarter.

That may be fine. I heard complaints about the EL AI as well and, frankly, I'm just not a good/devoted enough player to feel like I could run circles around it. I was just surprised by how passive the AI seemed here.

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Echoing "play it for free for three days to do some research". Its what I am doing.

I'll probably have a couple of hours tomorrow but that's about it. Just trying to ascertain if the gameplay just totally drops early or not.

I'll probably pick it up.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Trying to scramble for tip and build order stuffs. Any words on Horatio?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

KirbyKhan posted:

Trying to scramble for tip and build order stuffs. Any words on Horatio?

Almost every single race wants to research and build the tier one manufacturing and research things that are like +10 for planet +10 for every temperate planet +10 for every fertile planet.
But not horatio! Because your planet is a hot hellhole. Good luck, idiot.
You want to not do those two.

There's a youtube channel called 4x alchemist which has not updated for six months but has a lot of neat early game strategies which largely do not matter anymore. For example the unfallen guide says you can build a new vineship in 5 turns and get your first system seeded by 10 turns and no both of those things, each, cost twice as much now so it is four times longer than that.

But I would at least still trust their first turn research and build orders for horatio.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Memnaelar posted:

That may be fine. I heard complaints about the EL AI as well and, frankly, I'm just not a good/devoted enough player to feel like I could run circles around it. I was just surprised by how passive the AI seemed here.

One thing I noticed after the patch is that the AI is a lot more passive than they used to be because they don't know how to handle pirates. Like, every single Major Faction in the game I just played was completely cornered by a max level pirate lair.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Krinkle posted:

Almost every single race wants to research and build the tier one manufacturing and research things that are like +10 for planet +10 for every temperate planet +10 for every fertile planet.
But not horatio! Because your planet is a hot hellhole. Good luck, idiot.
You want to not do those two.

There's a youtube channel called 4x alchemist which has not updated for six months but has a lot of neat early game strategies which largely do not matter anymore. For example the unfallen guide says you can build a new vineship in 5 turns and get your first system seeded by 10 turns and no both of those things, each, cost twice as much now so it is four times longer than that.

But I would at least still trust their first turn research and build orders for horatio.

Saw his video. Thank you.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Davincie posted:

what event? i can't find it. edit: found it, its only on the main store page. not on games2gether or in an announcement

also the way the implemented the new content is kinda lovely. you gotta download the free content from the steam store, but that just launches the game. so you have to launch and exit the game for each dlc to make it appear. still doesn't show as owned in the store for me though

You don't need to "buy" the patches at all. It's fake dlc.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Man. I tried playing this again and it's so frustating. The presentation is amazing, from UI, to graphics, to lore, to music; too bad the rest of it is just... not good. The devs' bizarre insistence on making the combat dogshit, the geometrically progressing micro, the hundred techs and hundred buildings and just the whole edifice of the gameplay as taken in its totality, it's all such a pile of crap, sweetened only by that potato-chip-like one-more-turn quality that is inherent to the 4X games and isn't something that they can claim as their own doing. I want to like this! Why is this so unfun?!

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Source your quotes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helion
Apr 28, 2008

Clarste posted:

One thing I noticed after the patch is that the AI is a lot more passive than they used to be because they don't know how to handle pirates. Like, every single Major Faction in the game I just played was completely cornered by a max level pirate lair.

So basically I'd be learning all these intricate gameplay systems and the elegant way they interweave with each other, coupled with fascinatingly distinct factions with unique styles of gameplay only to finally find out my opposition is sitting in the corner eating crayons?