Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Your Battle Buddy posted:

Every morning i wake up and palm slam the army cadences tape into my Walkman and i do prt exactly to regulation

don't stop i'm almost there unghhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

It's almost one in the morning, but for the last couple hours I've been struck by a fervent desire to clean my house. I've thus far vacuumed, de-cluttered, and scrubbed the hell out of my toilets and bath tub, entirely unprompted.

I've literally never wanted to clean before.

Do I just keep going, knowing that I need to be awake for work in six hours? Or do I go to sleep, and surely return to my life of sloth and clutter?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Maybe lay off the speed after 4pm.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Maybe lay off the speed after 4pm.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Certain strains of weed will put me into a "clean/organize all the things" mode, I generally roll with it and spend the night unfucking my poo poo. If I had access to a dispensary where I could choose what strains I get my house would be spotless af all the time instead of just when I get lucky with the supply.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm doing completely unrelated statistical work and I've just statistically proven that enlisted members of the military are considerably more progressive than base society in regards to interracial marriages :thunk:

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Vasudus posted:

I'm doing completely unrelated statistical work and I've just statistically proven that enlisted members of the military are considerably more progressive than base society in regards to interracial marriages :thunk:

Re-run the numbers but control for Asians?

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

redneck nazgul posted:

Re-run the numbers but control for strippers?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm moving on to another thing but I found it absolutely hilarious. A full ~35% of white non-hispanic male enlisted members (DoD wide, active duty only) were married to someone else that identifies as non white. This dataset doesn't have any more granular numbers since it's not a full demo breakdown project.

~75% of all active duty DoD-wide people are under 30 though, gat drat.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

It is a young man's profession

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Vasudus posted:

I'm moving on to another thing but I found it absolutely hilarious. A full ~35% of white non-hispanic male enlisted members (DoD wide, active duty only) were married to someone else that identifies as non white. This dataset doesn't have any more granular numbers since it's not a full demo breakdown project.

~75% of all active duty DoD-wide people are under 30 though, gat drat.

Interesting tidbit.

Is that approx 35% of married members, or is it 35% of the entire male active enlisted force?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Arc Light posted:

Interesting tidbit.

Is that approx 35% of married members, or is it 35% of the entire male active enlisted force?

The latter. Officer numbers were lower, something like high 20s.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I just had to order a checkbook for 25 bucks. A review of my order history with USAA reveals that I received my last checkbook December, 2004. I haven't written a check in a very, very long time.

So work paid like whatever, 3700 bucks or something for my PMP prep course, PMI membership, the PMP course book, and the PMP exam itself. Turns out that I was overpaid on my advance to the tune of...77 cents. Because my taxes from Amazon were slightly lower when I actually pressed order, because I had it delivered to VA rather than MD.

I got a nastygram about it, and I have to pay it before the end of the month. I go to do the 'deduct it from my paycheck' option, but not only is it too late for the pay cycle, it's under 100 dollars so they won't do it. I go to the 'pay with my credit card' option, but they won't let me do it because it's under 5 dollars. I call them, and ask them to charge me 5.77 so I can pay with my card. No, has to be exact. I ask if I can send a cashier's check, because I don't want to pay for a whole checkbook. Yes, you can, but you can't get a cashier's check for 77 cents. I ask them if I can overpay them with a cashier's check. No, has to be exact.

You motherfuckers.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Vasudus posted:

I just had to order a checkbook for 25 bucks. A review of my order history with USAA reveals that I received my last checkbook December, 2004. I haven't written a check in a very, very long time.

So work paid like whatever, 3700 bucks or something for my PMP prep course, PMI membership, the PMP course book, and the PMP exam itself. Turns out that I was overpaid on my advance to the tune of...77 cents. Because my taxes from Amazon were slightly lower when I actually pressed order, because I had it delivered to VA rather than MD.

I got a nastygram about it, and I have to pay it before the end of the month. I go to do the 'deduct it from my paycheck' option, but not only is it too late for the pay cycle, it's under 100 dollars so they won't do it. I go to the 'pay with my credit card' option, but they won't let me do it because it's under 5 dollars. I call them, and ask them to charge me 5.77 so I can pay with my card. No, has to be exact. I ask if I can send a cashier's check, because I don't want to pay for a whole checkbook. Yes, you can, but you can't get a cashier's check for 77 cents. I ask them if I can overpay them with a cashier's check. No, has to be exact.

You motherfuckers.

Send them 77 pennies

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Vasudus posted:

You motherfuckers.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Terrible Robot posted:

Send them 77 pennies

Glued to a sheet of construction paper, with all the check details written out in crayon. Backwards letters in poo poo like "pay to the order of" and in the address corner.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Vasudus posted:

You motherfuckers.

I used USPS postal money orders when I needed to pay weird denominations, until I finally buckled and got a checkbook. Too late now, I guess, but might help somebody else here.

https://www.usps.com/shop/money-orders.htm

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Finished up the first quarter of grad school today. One final was a mock level with the professor who was a C-level exec at a big agency and the other was a fairly routine group project.

The project was interesting: a campaign launch for a cloning service. A girl in the group kicked off the whole affair by asking the class, “who here has ever played with themselves as a kid?”

Things went fine.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
If you don't need duplicates or custom poo poo, you get checkbooks from USAA for free. Sure, you're stuck with the boring no-picture ones, but...so?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Godholio posted:

If you don't need duplicates or custom poo poo, you get checkbooks from USAA for free. Sure, you're stuck with the boring no-picture ones, but...so?

negative ghost rider

i got the absolute most barebones checks possible in the smallest quantity

19 dollars and 6 for shipping if i want them in a week

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
banks dont have free stuff anymore. pnc charges $2 for a mobile deposit if you want it in your account in less than 2 days.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

vains posted:

banks dont have free stuff anymore. pnc charges $2 for a mobile deposit if you want it in your account in less than 2 days.

Hahahaha that’s so poo poo

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Vasudus posted:

negative ghost rider

Logged in just now and free as hell, if you get basic poo poo and basic shipping. But then again, USAA is kind of known to treat officers differently.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
lmao i forgot that usaa is two different banks

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Vasudus posted:

negative ghost rider

I've never paid for checks from USAA, including the new box I got last month. Are you getting them through USAA or just going to the check company's website?
Checking account, I want to, more services, order checks or deposit slips.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Godholio posted:

I've never paid for checks from USAA, including the new box I got last month. Are you getting them through USAA or just going to the check company's website?
Checking account, I want to, more services, order checks or deposit slips.

officers get them for free :whitewater:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Vasudus posted:

lmao i forgot that usaa is two different banks

:chord:

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
I don't think I ever paid for checks from USAA. Granted, I can only think of one time since I joined that I've written a check... and that was using the "just in case" check in my wallet made out to a gun shop that didn't take credit cards.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I've only had one gripe with USAA, but it was a really, really big deal as far as gripes go.

They send notices for the most banal poo poo all the time. Not included in that banal poo poo: Some rando computer thing decided that I had to click some new box and approve insurance for a home. I got no Email or phone call, and apparently they sent snail mail to an old address despite me updating my account when I moved. As a result, I was without insurance on a home (violation of rental and mortgage agreement) for like 2-3 months without my knowledge until USAA called me to try to sell me home insurance.

Cool to know an entire house had zero insurance for a couple months. Even worse, zero liability insurance if renters had died inside said house for whatever reason.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Vasudus posted:

officers get them for free :whitewater:

Don't think it's an officer thing.
https://communities.usaa.com/t5/Bank-Services/Usaa-shouldn-t-advertise-free-checks/td-p/105197

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
since I was getting low I just ordered checks. It was 6.68 or something for shipping and handling and Ill get them on the 25th, otherwise free as gently caress

maybe its something old accounts have that new ones dont IDK, I was enlisted as gently caress though

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Justice League was pretty fun! As usual, Gal Gadot kills it as Wonder Woman.

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.
Every time I've ordered checks from USAA they have been free, including shipping. I was enlisted and I just pick standard on everything with absolutely no customization.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

USAA checks are free until you start adding poo poo like "FREEDOM AINT FREE" stamps or custom logo type poo poo.

Getting the basic font, normal tan/whatever colored checks is free.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
You know I think i may have picked some dumb rear end shipping option

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Still free for me to order checks. :shrug:

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST
I think the "you'll get them in a month, probably" shipping option is free, otherwise it's a few bucks.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Ten day vacation outta nowhere, what to do...

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Jeez, you shot somebody already?

Everyone wants the Rookie of the Year award, but you're not supposed to be that obvious about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

cowboy elvis posted:

Justice League was pretty fun! As usual, Gal Gadot kills it as Wonder Woman.

Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman is literally the only reason I will watch that movie.

• Locked thread