Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Let's just hope the rest of the game is better-written than that mission. And that they either A.get better VA or B. give me an option to turn it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I still want that time machine to get HBS's "Battletech: The first expansion pack" to skip straight to Dragonfall, robots edition.

Phrosphor posted:

I think this is also going to introduce the very early main goal of the game - get some money. One of the articles indicated you start heavily in debt with a loan to pay off, and then you don't get paid from this mission. I get a feeling that Kintaro and Shadowhawk might not be hanging around if you can't pay them once this is resolved.

I will be very curious to see if keeping half decent starter mechs up and running will be a "Reasonable" route for practical returns. Rather than a peak play wiki in lap route as the game "encourages" you to use Small mechs instead.

But it's a pair of mediums we're talking about, rather than Heavies. So we'll probably get good leeway unless missions both appropriate in challenge and pay for your your bills to clear loans and maintain your toys at the same time are gated somehow. Be it through omission or "You can take the small fry profits mission, or the one tuned for heavy mech support that will crush you in repair bills even if you win from attrition."

Section Z fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Nov 16, 2017

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Judging by a few screens they showed and their comments, I'm pretty sure that mission is basically one of the tutorial/prologue missions. You're apparently still "slumming" it in a single Leopard at that point.*

* Nevermind just owning a Leopard probably makes you above average as far as no-name merc outfits go.

Yeah owning your own dropship is basically putting your mercs pretty high on the hire list.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Especially in 3025, when owning your own lance and the means to transport it meant you could almost single-handedly knock over a Periphery state.

Hey, that's exactly what we're doing in this game. What a coincidence!

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Phrosphor posted:

I think this is also going to introduce the very early main goal of the game - get some money. One of the articles indicated you start heavily in debt with a loan to pay off, and then you don't get paid from this mission. I get a feeling that Kintaro and Shadowhawk might not be hanging around if you can't pay them once this is resolved.

Yeah, the (player) Shadow Hawk having special weapons makes me think that even more. Basically get you a tutorial boss fight against a Shadow Hawk while you've got good mechs, and next time you fight a boss Hawk you're gonna have to do it with less.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Phrosphor posted:

Double post, but I wanted to share this. There is some really cool little effects in this build:

https://i.imgur.com/NXtxiSQ.mp4

I am talking about the lightning bolt ricocheting off the rock as the shot skims it. Looks really cool.

This rules.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
If I buy the 60 dollar tier do I still get into the beta?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
https://battletech.backerkit.com/hosted_preorders

Yeah, $60 is the tier you need to buy at to get Beta access.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Q_res posted:

https://battletech.backerkit.com/hosted_preorders

Yeah, $60 is the tier you need to buy at to get Beta access.

And the beta is on-going now correct?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Yes, beta is currently available.

Worth noting beta is fun but limited in scope.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Sky Shadowing posted:

Yes, beta is currently available.

Worth noting beta is fun but limited in scope.

How limited? Single player only?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Yeah, it might take a few days for them to send your Steam Key to your Backerkit account because they have to do it manually and they're in heads-down crunch mode. If you do decide to buy into the Beta, here https://community.battletechgame.com/forums/threads/9249 are the instructions for the opt-in multiplayer test.

SkyShadowing's right though, it's pretty limited in scope. But it is fun, in small doses.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Flaggy posted:

How limited? Single player only?

Multiplayer only

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

That's not true at all. There's a singleplayer Skirmish mode as well as Opt-In multiplayer.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
By limited I mean it's 5 maps with a limited selection of Mechs, preset pilots, and strictly 4 Mechs vs 4 Mechs skirmish.

People won't play single player skirmish much after full release. Like XCOM, the draw for this game will be the campaign, and to a lesser extent multiplayer.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Q_res posted:

That's not true at all. There's a singleplayer Skirmish mode as well as Opt-In multiplayer.

Right, sorry, forgot about the skirmish since it was pretty limited and the AI very dumb when I tried it when it first came out

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The Skirmish mode is a fun, and a good way to get a handle on whether or not you enjoy the game's basic loops. Shame it's locked behind the $60 paywall, cause it'd make a good demo.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Understandable, honestly. The SP Skirmish doesn't have much staying power, if you're seriously going to drop $60 on Beta access you'd better be planning on playing some Multi.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Honestly I wouldn't buy into the beta at this point, and this is coming from someone who is really glad he got into the beta. I've got 20 hours in the beta, which is more than I get in complete play throughs of some AAA games. That said, If the game is really set to come out Q1 of 2018 (which if they're in crunch mode over the holidays looks very possible) that's just not much time to really get to enjoy it.

The beta's been great for me to have something to talk about with other BT nerds and to scratch that itch when I just want to shoot mechs for an hour or so. It's in no way shape or form a complete game, and if I didn't have it already I'd just say wait until the actual product launch.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

I put 50 hours into the beta. The version has kind of been wrung dry though

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Yeah I’d wait. It’s fun and good but we also know it’s not representative of the final product due to all the dev time that’s happened since it came out. In that sense it’d be a very bad demo, but it’s a good beta.

E: So if you get it, do so for MP and the understanding you’re more supporting HBS I guess?

Psion fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Nov 16, 2017

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Psion posted:

Yeah I’d wait. It’s fun and good but we also know it’s not representative of the final product due to all the dev time that’s happened since it came out. In that sense it’d be a very bad demo, but a good beta.

It's been really refreshing to see a dev do a beta release that's actually a loving beta and not some kind of pre-release, buggier version, access to the whole game.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Cyrano4747 posted:

It's been really refreshing to see a dev do a beta release that's actually a loving beta and not some kind of pre-release, buggier version, access to the whole game.
I laughed my rear end off when someone got into an argument with me about that being why it was a bad beta.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Yeah I missed that on the first viewing. The visuals are really solid and I am eagerly anticipating a lot of gorgeous stompy robot action.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Obsidian's betas for Pillars of Eternity are the same. Super buggy vertical slice of a side area to help the developer tune system mechanics and smooth out rough patches in gameplay.

Harebrained, Obsidian, and CDPR are basically the triumvirate keeping RPG's alive for me at this point.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

although really I'd support everyone buying the beta if it had the King Crab finished! JUST SAYING, ISILDUR... :v: (I know that's not your responsibility, just please add a mission with 4 king crabs on the edge of a cliff for the ultimate in lovely memes)

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Psion posted:

although really I'd support everyone buying the beta if it had the King Crab finished! JUST SAYING, ISILDUR... :v: (I know that's not your responsibility, just please add a mission with 4 king crabs on the edge of a cliff for the ultimate in lovely memes)

Johnny Five Aces better make an appearance too

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Rygar201 posted:

Johnny Five Aces better make an appearance too

Jonny in a mech is already playable (in Brigador)

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Isildur clarifies that ejecting a pilot from their mech is now in the works after being off the table. I'm glad this got time to be added, it just felt so wrong not seeing the little ejection seats pop out at mech destruction.

HBS_thratchen posted:

it was off the table, but the way pilot injury and death works made it clear to me that we had to have manual ejection. Like, I suspected the game would suffer badly if we didn't include it. So we made room in the schedule for it!

EDIT:

HBS Mod CmdrDunsail confirms KS Backers can still buy in to higher digital only tiers, like from from $50 Beta Backer to $85 Valhalla. Late backers can also upgrade from the pre-order to beta access.

CmdrDunsail posted:

Confirmation from TPTHBSB... (Thanks @HBS_Dagger!)

This includes Kickstarter Backers who originally pledged at lower tiers and want to upgrade to Initiate of the Order or MechWarrior tiers.

(Late Reinforcement Backers can upgrade to MechWarrior tier only)

quote:

Yes, if someone was an original Kickstarter Backer, we can upgrade them to the Initiate of the Order level since those are just digital rewards.

If someone wants to do this, they need to email us directly at info@hbs-studios.com with their Paypal email so we can send an invoice that will cover the difference between their current pledge and the upgrade.

If they don't have a Paypal email, have them confirm the email address where they'd like to receive the invoice. A PayPal account is not required to pay the invoice and they'll have an option to pay the invoice without one.
Emphasis mine.

I'm on the fence about upping to the Valhalla tier. Wish I knew more about how it could be earned post-launch.

Amechwarrior fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Nov 18, 2017

isildur
May 31, 2000

BattleDroids: Flashpoint OH NO! Dekker! IS DOWN! THIS IS Glitch! Taking Command! THIS IS Glich! Taking command! OH NO! Glitch! IS DOWN! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! OH NO! Medusa IS DOWN!

Soon to be part of the Battletech Universe canon.

Amechwarrior posted:

Isildur clarifies that ejecting a pilot from their mech is now in the works after being off the table. I'm glad this got time to be added, it just felt so wrong not seeing the little ejection seats pop out at mech destruction.
Nah, it's not in the works; it's done, and has been for weeks and weeks. I forget sometimes that we don't push the dev builds to the beta.

speaking of which

Psion posted:

what's wrong with your copy of the game mine has the king crab right there in the-- oh. oh yeah.

i guess, since I'm writing all the remaining procedural content, there's nothing that stops me from putting stupid memes everywhere, is there? well now

Sky Shadowing posted:

To be fair I'm not going to expect a bunch of idiot miners to be smart about their betrayal.
I'm not going to speak for the writer here but it's worth noting that at the end of the mission Sumire is exasperated with Darius and these stupid, lovely jobs he keeps finding. The betrayal is hilariously stupid and awful, and that's the problem; you're working these podunk contracts in the rear end end of nowhere, and even the betrayals are stupid.

Dreadwroth posted:

Yeah owning your own dropship is basically putting your mercs pretty high on the hire list.
You definitely do not own the Leopard. (It has a name, by the way.)

Also the rarity thing? It's not really used for 'Mechs at all. We are using it to mark specialized manufacturer-specific weapons, though.

edit: meant to mention, you only have a Kintaro in that mission for the press stuff. I swapped out your Commando for a Kintaro to make sure nobody from the press would, like, lose the mission while getting a demo. Your 'real' starting lance is panther, commando, blackjack, shadowhawk.

isildur fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Nov 18, 2017

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

isildur posted:

edit: meant to mention, you only have a Kintaro in that mission for the press stuff. I swapped out your Commando for a Kintaro to make sure nobody from the press would, like, lose the mission while getting a demo. Your 'real' starting lance is panther, commando, blackjack, shadowhawk.

That explains a lot. I thought that was a heavy lance flor that mission.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

isildur posted:

i guess, since I'm writing all the remaining procedural content, there's nothing that stops me from putting stupid memes everywhere, is there? well now

Don't forget to comment in 'The Fraction Jackson Rule' somewhere in the code, without any further explanation.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Nevermind just owning a Leopard probably makes you above average as far as no-name merc outfits go.

Leopards are obscenely expensive to operate. They can't carry enough cargo to cover their operating costs, so they're basically relegated to actual nation-states or morons who can't afford to fix them if something breaks. :pseudo:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Just like Free Traders in Traveller huh? "We made it so you can't just stay in the black doing boring fedex work to force you to go on adventures"

Well, that explains why Sumire is pissed. :v:

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

On the other hand, Hurting People and Breaking Things does tend to pay pretty well, and it's a seller's market in the Inner Sphere.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

isildur posted:

excellentttttttttt

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

As long as it's better-written than that mission, I don't think anyone would complain.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

isildur posted:

You should really get in the goon discord for this game, think the link the OP still works. We just had a convo about a modded event based off "Do you want to get ants?" that ends with your medics over-stressed from treating hyper-ant wounds, MW with overall lower morale from fighting 0g trained ants and noble mechwarriors noting the ships cleanliness has gotten better from the medics not leaving crumbs(can't take breaks) and ants eating everything they can find, up to and including people. This then sprung forth replacing Kamea w/ Mallory Archer and possibilities for a Archer based portrait swap.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Captain Foo posted:

Jonny in a mech is already playable (in Brigador)
When you find yourself hoping for a man from Volta as a pilot choice.

isildur posted:

This is one of the best reasons I've ever heard for why it will be hard to keep your tutorial head start toys.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

isildur posted:

"Have you encountered the mercenary gang hanging out in the bar at the edge of town? I tell you, those goons are up to something awful!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Alchenar posted:

"Have you encountered the mercenary gang hanging out in the bar at the edge of town? I tell you, those goons are up to something awful!"

If you walk up to them they just squawk at you a bunch.