Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Do people do tai chi anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

This is genuinely one of the weirdest ever, or would be the weirdest ever for the people involved, occurrences in the whole show

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I'm on the edge of my seat to see who wins the poker game

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Oh

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The Bloop posted:

No it was just a quantum burrito field supreme

Precisely. :colbert:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Is Riker gonna loving try to kill himself

I mean not himself

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Awesome set

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Sigh

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Is Riker gonna loving try to kill himself

I mean not himself

One William Riker is unique, perhaps even special. But a hundred of him, a thousand of him... diminishes me in ways I can't even imagine.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Oh he actually made it

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

Jeb! Repetition posted:

So you can just make a copy of someone with a transporter? I guess it doesn't transport souls after all
Imagine if they had kept making copies. They could have had an entire ship full of Rikers. Captain Riker, Engineer Riker, Dr. Riker...

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The Bloop posted:

One William Riker is unique, perhaps even special. But a hundred of him, a thousand of him... diminishes me in ways I can't even imagine.

:stare:

END CHEMTRAILS NOW posted:

Imagine if they had kept making copies. They could have had an entire ship full of Rikers. Captain Riker, Engineer Riker, Dr. Riker...

Dr. Riker is an off-brand soda

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

If Alt-Riker is getting the trumpet does that mean I'll never again get to see his funny puffed cheeks as he plays it

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

END CHEMTRAILS NOW posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYMfwBGveMg

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

It's over. Still can't get past what a weird situation that is. Also is there another piece of media where a clone uses a nickname or a middle name to differentiate themself? It seems so familiar.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Is Riker gonna try loving himself

Yes. :colbert:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I really enjoy Second Chances, it's probably in my top 5 for TNG. I've always been a big Riker fan and Frakes sells the hell out of a situation that usually end up really hokey.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Jeb! Repetition posted:

It's over. Still can't get past what a weird situation that is. Also is there another piece of media where a clone uses a nickname or a middle name to differentiate themself? It seems so familiar.
This is also not the last appearance of Thomas Riker in Star Trek

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Will charges Tommy with years of AWOL, puts him on defaulters for the rest of time.

Someone's gotta sweep the hull.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

FlamingLiberal posted:

This is also not the last appearance of Thomas Riker in Star Trek

Yeah, Jeb! you’re gonna need to set aside for some DS9, champ. We’re right there with you.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Fun trivia - they were actually considering killing off regular Riker and having new Riker be the new helmsman.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Angry Salami posted:

Fun trivia - they were actually considering killing off regular Riker and having new Riker be the new helmsman.

Which would have been such a weird decision, since it would be the same but ever so slightly different character for what, a season and a half?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

HD DAD posted:

Which would have been such a weird decision, since it would be the same but ever so slightly different character for what, a season and a half?

actually a decent excuse for the lack of captaincy at that point

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

HD DAD posted:

Yeah, bringing in a younger and less experienced version of a character near the end of the series's run, that's something Star Trek would never do!

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I really enjoy Second Chances, it's probably in my top 5 for TNG. I've always been a big Riker fan and Frakes sells the hell out of a situation that usually end up really hokey.

The best idea that the writers came up with was to kill off Will and have Frakes play Thomas for the rest of the series, but they knew there was no loving way that would fly even though Frakes would have totally been on board.

poo poo would have been cool though.

edit: beaten

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Spoilers!!!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

MrJacobs posted:

The best idea that the writers came up with was to kill off Will and have Frakes play Thomas for the rest of the series, but they knew there was no loving way that would fly even though Frakes would have totally been on board.

poo poo would have been cool though.

edit: beaten

they used that idea for voyager

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Validation! I've been saying this for years. Second Chances is Exhibit A for the "The Transporters are Xeroxes" case.

And I've been saying for months that Mirror, Mirror gives us a perfect out: Thomas Riker isn't a clone, he got pulled from an alternate universe where he tragically and mysteriously disappeared during transport.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

McSpanky posted:

Spoilers!!!

Seriously. I went into that episode blind and it was the best reveal.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Whoa

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

corn in the bible posted:

they used that idea for voyager

DS9 also replaces O'Brien with an alternate O'Brien

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Data gets replaced with baby Data

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

ugh don't trigger me

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Some deep trek lore there.

Too bad no one had this idea before the movies ended.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Can you imagine Data in Rascals? He gets turned into a Lisa.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Spider-Man. Peter Parker's clone took on the identity of Ben Reilly, a combination of his uncle's first name and aunt's maiden name.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I swear Frakes is actually playing him a little different, like eye movements and voice and stuff. Would he have put that much effort in?

Frakes owns and definitely actually cared about TNG and Riker, so probably.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Doggles posted:

Spider-Man. Peter Parker's clone took on the identity of Ben Reilly, a combination of his uncle's first name and aunt's maiden name.

Yeah, his "clone"

That's exactly what they want you to think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Jude Law's character Jerome Eugene Morrow in Gattaca made Ethan Hawke's character call him "Eugene" so the latter would be more used to using his borrowed identity.