Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Solemn Sloth posted:

lol the ALP paid $500k and pissed off the VFF(Victorian farmers federation) to buy the Animal Justice Party’s preferences for this by-election, and got into bed with the LDP too

:owned:

wait lmao they actually paid for the preferences?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

The Before Times posted:

They certainly seem to have

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Lol, buying prefs from AJP who got a whopping 2.3% of the votes. Clearly it was money well spent.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

lmao I was joking with some guy at the dog park this morning about ajp swinging the byelection, can't believe the alp actually had a go at it

Seen some speculation that the liberal party might replicate their strategy with some of the other marginal alp/greens seats in the state election next year because there's a couple more that Labor could lose.

Edit: as in, not running candidates in those seats

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Comstar posted:

Why was there such a large swing? No LNP candidate?

This is probably a big part of it, but I don't think there's any one reason. There's also a natural swing towards the Greens in that area, a few juicy issues that came up in the Greens' favor over the campaign, general dissatisfaction towards the Labor state government, and a real disparity in candidate strength (Clare Burns was unremarkable at best and very attackable at worst, while Lidia Thorpe had a lot of potential ways to get voters excited).

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

The Before Times posted:

They set up a whole new government agency to placate them.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Solemn Sloth posted:

They set up a whole new government agency to placate them.

that'll do it

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Gluten Freeman posted:

lmao I was joking with some guy at the dog park this morning about ajp swinging the byelection, can't believe the alp actually had a go at it

Seen some speculation that the liberal party might replicate their strategy with some of the other marginal alp/greens seats in the state election next year because there's a couple more that Labor could lose.

Edit: as in, not running candidates in those seats

hmm. not sure. that could result in a Lab/Greens coalition and the LNP sure as hell don't want the Greens to have more power.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

The Before Times posted:

hmm. not sure. that could result in a Lab/Greens coalition and the LNP sure as hell don't want the Greens to have more power.
Nah, ALP/Greens coalitions can be pretty dysfunctional and allows the Libs to play up the "CHAOTIC LABOR" angle to the public.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

CrazyTolradi posted:

Nah, ALP/Greens coalitions can be pretty dysfunctional and allows the Libs to play up the "CHAOTIC LABOR" angle to the public.

"COALITION OF CHAOS" because they are functionally incapable of creativity or originality

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

They’re probably assuming (rightly) that the ALP would rather lose government to the LNP than lose inner city seats and govern in coalition with the greens and not even bother campaigning against the Liberals

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

CrazyTolradi posted:

Which is all the more insane when you look at the current state of the Lib Nat Coalition.

cool biRd pics
Aug 28, 2009

you will feel ashamed of your words & deeds

CrazyTolradi posted:

IIRC in QLD you don't have to number all the boxes and your vote "dies" if the candidates you preference don't win.

this is no longer true as of 2016. i’ll look up the actual source in the morning

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts
Well done Lidia Thorpe.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

cool biRd pics posted:

this is no longer true as of 2016. i’ll look up the actual source in the morning
Fair deal, I escaped that dreadful state last year.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I reckon it was running a fraudulently vegan candidate that did it imho

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Solemn Sloth posted:

I reckon it was running a fraudulently vegan candidate that did it imho

Animal Justice Party seem like they get tricked by l
Labors bs every single election.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

There's a fascinating moment in the latest Guardian podcast, which is taken up with interviews relating to the marriage equality vote/survey, where Katherine Murphy interviews James Paterson about his SSM bill, which he is still proud of although withdrawn. Murphy who knows Paterson well is, I think, trying to get him to see the gravity of what he proposed, but Paterson brushes it off as a tradeoff between "competing rights". That is, he believes that anti-discrimination treads on other human rights and he thinks he made people confront that.

Well of course it does, James, because the "rights" you claim are universal human rights are actually mere religious bigotry. But the astonishing thing is, he and many others think Australia is abrogating religious freedom and has international pressure to uphold that freedom (he doesn't exactly say who but insinuates the UN which would be news to me). He seems to be confusing the right to conscience with all things religious, but the right to conscience isn't an institutional right. So he's also trying to claim that an individual right applies to churches and businesses, which is quite the claim given how many "individual" rights they already have.

However, as is mentioned in the interview, there is likely to be an attempt to enshrine those "rights" in a separate bill, as a fall back position by the "victims" of the Smith bill. Suddenly freedom is imperilled! But I can see that Paterson who is neither gay nor religious doesn't understand the depth of the "debate" for those concerned and thinks you can horse-trade them.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Nov 19, 2017

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

ewe2 posted:

There's a fascinating moment in the latest Guardian podcast, which is taken up with interviews relating to the marriage equality vote/survey, where Katherine Murphy interviews James Paterson about his SSM bill, which he is still proud of although withdrawn. Murphy who knows Paterson well is, I think, trying to get him to see the gravity of what he proposed, but Paterson brushes it off as a tradeoff between "competing rights". That is, he believes that anti-discrimination treads on other human rights and he thinks he made people confront that.

Well of course it does, James, because the "rights" you claim are universal human rights are actually mere religious bigotry. But the astonishing thing is, he and many others think Australia is abrogating religious freedom and has international pressure to uphold that freedom (he doesn't exactly say who but insinuates the UN which would be news to me). He seems to be confusing the right to conscience with all things religious, but the right to conscience isn't an institutional right. So he's also trying to claim that an individual right
applies to churches and businesses, which is quite the claim given how many "individual" rights they already have.

However, as is mentioned in the interview, there is likely to be an attempt to enshrine those "rights" in a separate bill, as a fall back position by the "victims" of the Smith bill. Suddenly freedom is imperilled! But I can see that Paterson who is neither gay nor religious doesn't understand the depth of the "debate" for those concerned and thinks you can horse-trade them.
It actually makes a lot more sense if you see Paterson as one of the young smarmy white guys who couches their bigotry in psuedo-intellectualism. He honestly doesn't give a poo poo about any international pressure that might exist, he just wants to the right to refuse LGBTI people SSM because he personally just views it as "wrong". I'd be willing to bet he subscribes to a lot of :biotruths:

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

CrazyTolradi posted:

It actually makes a lot more sense if you see Paterson as one of the young smarmy white guys who couches their bigotry in psuedo-intellectualism. He honestly doesn't give a poo poo about any international pressure that might exist, he just wants to the right to refuse LGBTI people SSM because he personally just views it as "wrong". I'd be willing to bet he subscribes to a lot of :biotruths:

You could also have said 'He's a young liberal' which describes those characteristics quite neatly.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Don Dongington posted:

You could also have said 'He's a young liberal' which describes those characteristics quite neatly.
Young Liberals can also be from a couple of different camps, still. But yeah, the majority are this free-market worshiping type.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

CrazyTolradi posted:

It actually makes a lot more sense if you see Paterson as one of the young smarmy white guys who couches their bigotry in psuedo-intellectualism.

Don Dongington posted:

All very possible, but he could simply be someone not personally affected by the competing rights they're debating about, which these days fits the bill for any Young <insert party> these days because almost none of them are connected to the reality we live in. We're either a cause or a hindrance to them.

To me he doesn't sound personally invested in his position like Eric Abetz on the one side or Penny Wong on the other. At the very least he's hypocritical if he's not simply rebadging his bigotry.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Not what Wiki currently says, but on Google:

ewe2 posted:

All very possible, but he could simply be someone not personally affected by the competing rights they're debating about, which these days fits the bill for any Young <insert party> these days because almost none of them are connected to the reality we live in. We're either a cause or a hindrance to them.

To me he doesn't sound personally invested in his position like Eric Abetz on the one side or Penny Wong on the other. At the very least he's hypocritical if he's not simply rebadging his bigotry.
He's ex-IPA, pro-Brexit Young Lib, so yeah it's not just possible, it's what he is.

CrazyTolradi fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Nov 19, 2017

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Hmmm educated at University of Melbourne you say??

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
WITHIN hours of the same-sex marriage announcement on Wednesday, an outspoken No voter who owns a beauty salon in Perth was floored by a gay wedding request.

Belinda received a booking inquiry on her salon’s Facebook page from gay couple Brad and Chris for “a full body wax to make our honeymoon extra special”.

“My partner Chris and I have started planning our big day for Jan now the vote thing is over, So excited!”

Belinda, who is afraid to use her real name, is certain she is being trolled by gay activists.

“It’s not genuine. They know I’m an active No voter and they think they can goad me…

“Are they going to turn up at the shop tomorrow? Where do I stand now if there are people out there deliberately trying to force me to participate in gay weddings?”

“But I’ve been in business 15 years and I have heaps of gay clients. I have no problem with gay people but I need a safeguard from crazy people.”

In other countries where gay marriage exists, activists have targeted conscientious objectors, florists, bakers and innkeepers who don’t want to service gay weddings.

Labor, the Greens and like-minded Liberals insist the rights of No voters need no protection, but Belinda’s dilemma is just the start.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

WITHIN hours of the same-sex marriage announcement on Wednesday, an outspoken No voter who owns a beauty salon in Perth was floored by a gay wedding request.

Belinda received a booking inquiry on her salon’s Facebook page from gay couple Brad and Chris for “a full body wax to make our honeymoon extra special”.

“My partner Chris and I have started planning our big day for Jan now the vote thing is over, So excited!”

Belinda, who is afraid to use her real name, is certain she is being trolled by gay activists.

“It’s not genuine. They know I’m an active No voter and they think they can goad me…

“Are they going to turn up at the shop tomorrow? Where do I stand now if there are people out there deliberately trying to force me to participate in gay weddings?”

“But I’ve been in business 15 years and I have heaps of gay clients. I have no problem with gay people but I need a safeguard from crazy people.”

In other countries where gay marriage exists, activists have targeted conscientious objectors, florists, bakers and innkeepers who don’t want to service gay weddings.

Labor, the Greens and like-minded Liberals insist the rights of No voters need no protection, but Belinda’s dilemma is just the start.

(insert assorted crying emotes)

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
"conscientious objectors"

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
If you already have gay clients why does it suddenly matter what they're doing after they get their back, sack, and crack?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
"Fascists enabled by a sympathetic media"

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/TwoEyeHead/status/932012301237895169

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull has made a impassioned entry into the Queensland election campaign with a rousing speech to the LNP launch.

Mr Turnbull told the audience in inner-Brisbane that only the Liberal National Party can deliver for them after Saturday's state election.

He described the Labor government under Annastacia Palaszczuk as a "do nothing, lazy, green left government, headed by a premier who wants to spend her time playing politics."

He said only the LNP would deliver dams and energy solutions, and accused the Labor government of refusing to accept federal money.

"We can't persuade Annastacia Palaszczuk to take it," he said.

"She doesn't want to build another dam. She won't even build the Rookwood Weir."

Sunday's campaign launch is the first time Mr Turnbull has been in Queensland since Ms Palaszczuk announced the November 25 election date three weeks ago.

He's been in Israel to attend the Beersheba centenary commemorations and at the APEC and ASEAN summits with other world leaders for much of that time.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
I too think the best way to respond to trolls is to draw nation wide attention to them

#itsoktosayno

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

DancingShade posted:

(insert assorted crying emotes)

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
This respectful debate is something, I'm glad we didn't listen to those naysayers like Bill Shorten who said this would be an excuse for hate speech to be presented as current affairs. Maybe while we're making sure Mal is credited with legislating same sex marriage we should also ensure he is credited 100% with promoting the plebiscite and the resulting respectful debate he was sure we would engage in, and how dare any of us show such a lack of trust in the Australian public to be respectful.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

Victorian Liberals may not run candidates in left-leaning, inner-city seats, state director says
By Jonathan Hair

The Victorian Liberals might choose to not run candidates in traditionally left-leaning, inner-city Melbourne seats at the next state poll, the party's state director has revealed.

Nick Demiris announced his intention to propose the shock strategy to the executive during a speech at the Victorian Liberal State Council on Saturday.

"we basically have no relevance to people!"

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Synthbuttrange posted:

"we basically have no relevance to people!"

I'd read that more as "nobody wanted to run in seats where loss was guaranteed if they couldn't upsell a poo poo sandwich to the voters in the information age".

But your version was more concise.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Sure, I've gay clients. I frequently give them full body waxes and bleach their a-holes. But if they're going to get married and ask me to wax them for their gay honeymoon?

I'm being unfairly targetted!?

What even if this. Someone is offering you money for a service, take their money. Enjoy it. What does their gay marriage have to do with your ability to wax their balls?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-19/nsw-police-charge-man-after-he-paints-over-george-michael-mural/9165654

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Konomex posted:

Sure, I've gay clients. I frequently give them full body waxes and bleach their a-holes. But if they're going to get married and ask me to wax them for their gay honeymoon?

I'm being unfairly targetted!?

What even if this. Someone is offering you money for a service, take their money. Enjoy it. What does their gay marriage have to do with your ability to wax their balls?

America has their Christian cake makers, we have our Christian sack waxers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

good

• Locked thread