Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Neurosis posted:

Some of the others though... John Colt has 0 in common with Spartan except they're both Kheran.

He seems more like Yohn Kohl, the Kheran Spartan's mind was copied from. He was a sort of Indiana Jones/Doc Savage type adventurer and explorer, though it looks like in modern times he's more James Bondish.

Perhaps he'll die and be reborn as a Spartan bot. Or they just have higher quality bots.

Also, who was the fifth clade? Daemonites?

nofather fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Nov 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Schneider Heim posted:

My officemate told me to read Mister Miracle as he claims it's absolutely incredible. True/false?

True.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Two Tone Shoes posted:

He's the same character, man. You just don't have the wacky voice acting to sell the Booyahs. Saying Booyah and mulling over being pulled between man and machine is the only thing he's done for 40 years. I don't know how you got the opposite of that out of what I said. It's less explored in the JL but it's been done, like, 3 times in JL already and even more before the New 52.

But he's not the same character though. He's hardly a character at all, and that's the point I was trying to make; comic Cyborg's chief problem is that he's booooring and that's an issue that can be remedied. Booyahs are a reference, they hardly make him the same as his cartoon counterpart. When people talk about not wanting him on the League, the chief complaints I've seen are a) that he's there to keep the team from being all white and b) that he should be Martian Manhunter. It's never about Cyborg being annoying or anything, because he's not. The reason people have so many alternate league members on their dream list is because Cyborg's bland as gently caress (see also: Jordan, Hal). Like okay here's the best example I can give for why comic Cyborg sucks

Shazam is bored and wants to play. We are told that Cyborg has an Xbox built in but then he immediately shoots down an offer to play because he's a loving buzzkill. In the next page, Shazam creates a ping pong table and Cyborg kinda smiles but we never see it again. It's implied that they played and that they're buddies, but we never really see that conveyed through art or dialogue. Googling for this panel, I found a funny variant cover about 5 issues later where they play a fighting game as each other, but that's a freakin' variant cover, does it really count? Here's all I really want: I don't need a full 20 page comic of Cyborg and Beast Boy Shazam playing games together, but I would like to see him be more fun-loving in comics instead of having people imply what a card he is off-panel.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Nov 17, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Thank you for summing it up so well. Comic book Cyborg is boring and bland as all hell and always has been. He probably always will be. If DC had been smart they would have taken his TTG personality and reimagined him in the mainline comics.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Schneider Heim posted:

My officemate told me to read Mister Miracle as he claims it's absolutely incredible. True/false?

True.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Flytrap posted:

Are there any cyborgs in comics who DON'T bitch about their humanity all the time? Serious question because I'd really like to see someone turn into a cyborg and just be "Fukken sweet, I don't have to worry about cancer anymore!" or some poo poo.
If DC's listening, I'm ready to pitch something like this for the post-JL Cyborg mini.

Or, hell, the post Cyborg DCEU film.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Edit: The one interesting thing about The Jetsons comic is Rosie being a shell for George's mother to live on after she died.
There's melancholy about it, but she prefers being there.
drat, that's pretty metal

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

TwoPair posted:

But he's not the same character though. He's hardly a character at all, and that's the point I was trying to make; comic Cyborg's chief problem is that he's booooring and that's an issue that can be remedied. Booyahs are a reference, they hardly make him the same as his cartoon counterpart. When people talk about not wanting him on the League, the chief complaints I've seen are a) that he's there to keep the team from being all white and b) that he should be Martian Manhunter. It's never about Cyborg being annoying or anything, because he's not. The reason people have so many alternate league members on their dream list is because Cyborg's bland as gently caress (see also: Jordan, Hal). Like okay here's the best example I can give for why comic Cyborg sucks

Shazam is bored and wants to play. We are told that Cyborg has an Xbox built in but then he immediately shoots down an offer to play because he's a loving buzzkill. In the next page, Shazam creates a ping pong table and Cyborg kinda smiles but we never see it again. It's implied that they played and that they're buddies, but we never really see that conveyed through art or dialogue. Googling for this panel, I found a funny variant cover about 5 issues later where they play a fighting game as each other, but that's a freakin' variant cover, does it really count? Here's all I really want: I don't need a full 20 page comic of Cyborg and Beast Boy Shazam playing games together, but I would like to see him be more fun-loving in comics instead of having people imply what a card he is off-panel.

Fine, the same character with less screen time. My main point is that he still has the same gimmick he had in Wolfman/Pereze which was the same gimmick he had in the show: AM I A REAL PERSON. But we got that Cyborg for years and years. If the only thing you want is to constantly relive Cyborg being a goofy idiot like he was in the cartoon then that comic will get just as boring just as quick.

It's like the people who say the JL cartoon Flash is the best Flash. Sure, he's fine comic relief as a more minor supporting character. But you can't make an entire comic book and character arc focus on that guy just being a goofball. It barely even counts as one dimensional. I'd say Cyborg needs less dumbing down to his cartoon version and more someone actually doing an interesting and original take on the character. Drawing all your influence from long dead tv series who don't have the weight of comic perpetuity on their shoulders always ends up a mistake.

Like, when they made Teen Titans Cartoon Comics was that what you wanted? The TTGO Cyborg's not far from what you're asking for and they're making those comics if that's really your interest.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Schneider Heim posted:

It's worth the investment

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Rosarch's gonna take his mask off and it's Prez

this would actually make me buy Doomsday Clock, not kidding

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Fine, the same character with less screen time. My main point is that he still has the same gimmick he had in Wolfman/Pereze which was the same gimmick he had in the show: AM I A REAL PERSON. But we got that Cyborg for years and years. If the only thing you want is to constantly relive Cyborg being a goofy idiot like he was in the cartoon then that comic will get just as boring just as quick.

It's like the people who say the JL cartoon Flash is the best Flash. Sure, he's fine comic relief as a more minor supporting character. But you can't make an entire comic book and character arc focus on that guy just being a goofball. It barely even counts as one dimensional. I'd say Cyborg needs less dumbing down to his cartoon version and more someone actually doing an interesting and original take on the character. Drawing all your influence from long dead tv series who don't have the weight of comic perpetuity on their shoulders always ends up a mistake.

Like, when they made Teen Titans Cartoon Comics was that what you wanted? The TTGO Cyborg's not far from what you're asking for and they're making those comics if that's really your interest.

I wasn't even thinking about a solo, I was purely thinking of his role on the Justice League. Which... well you made my point for me with Flash. You're right in that JLU Wally wouldn't support his own show/comic, but he didn't need to support his own show, so writers were free to do whatever they wanted with him. Cyborg's been on the Justice League since 2011 and he's only had a solo since 2015. That leaves 4 years where he was just a supporting character that nobody did a drat thing with. And yes, you could say that a goofy Cyborg can't make for a good solo title but then, a mopey Cyborg sure can't seem to either (I guess the Rebirth series is doing better than the DCYou one but it's never one I see getting a lot of buzz). And yes, I'd love an interesting take on the character, but like you said, it seems like no one's had a fresh take on the character/concept since the 80s. I mean ultimately all I'm saying is that if Cyborg is here to stay on the Justice League (and if he wasn't before, he certainly is now, what with being a movie character with a solo film apparently lined up), then why not pull from the more popular version of the character* and maybe hook some new readers into this dying industry instead of having him be dull and then bitching online about how much he sucks and should be Martian Manhunter?

*From what I hear apparently he's one of the few redeeming parts of the Justice League movie? Fine, just copy that instead, my point stands. Maybe he doesn't have to change into a goof, but he has to change into something enjoyable.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Nov 17, 2017

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

Ultron T-Rex in the last Squirrel Girl arc seemed to be having a great time without any angst about not being a real person or dinosaur.

Edit: The one interesting thing about The Jetsons comic is Rosie being a shell for George's mother to live on after she died.
There's melancholy about it, but she prefers being there.

Wow, between this and genocidal Flintstones they sure seem to be doing...something with those old cartoon properties.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Flytrap posted:

Are there any cyborgs in comics who DON'T bitch about their humanity all the time? Serious question because I'd really like to see someone turn into a cyborg and just be "Fukken sweet, I don't have to worry about cancer anymore!" or some poo poo.

Hmm. I guess Transmetropolitan has cyborgs who just use their new bodies to find new and interesting ways to gently caress, but that's the only one off the top of my head.

Not a cyborg but Rockslide's general thesis on being a big man-shaped pile of rocks is that it loving owns

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TwoPair posted:

*From what I hear apparently he's one of the few redeeming parts of the Justice League movie? Fine, just copy that instead, my point stands. Maybe he doesn't have to change into a goof, but he has to change into something enjoyable.

I found him boring as hell.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Flytrap posted:

Hmm. I guess Transmetropolitan has cyborgs who just use their new bodies to find new and interesting ways to gently caress, but that's the only one off the top of my head.

The Engineer didn't seem to complain much. The new one is worried about how its affecting her health but doesn't seem to bitch about it.

Ladytron, too. She was angry someone did it to her but became a sort of robot idol and enjoyed that status. Wildstorm had a thing called the Church of Gort that exalt cyber life, though there was some conflict within the followers, I think revolving around the afterlife or about 'pure' robots and AI versus cyborgs.

Oooh, and Ivana Baiul.

Cybernetics were really big in Wildstorm, though. Did Midnighter complain much, or Apollo? I seem to remember them doing it sometime but it wasn't an overwhelming part of their characters. More about how it was done to them against their will and keeps getting them into trouble.

In the bigger universes cybernetics make you not as human, and that's usually seen as a bad thing (they tend towards humancentrism).

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Flytrap posted:

Wow, between this and genocidal Flintstones they sure seem to be doing...something with those old cartoon properties.

Flintstones covers a lot more than a single screen cap can convey.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I won't ever care about Cyborg in the comics until he's singing about burgers and has The Night Begins to Shine playing on a loop.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I like NTT Cyborg fine, but its strictly in that book as part of that ensemble, when the angst was a bit fresher. Some characters don't work long term outside of the original team they were created for.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?
I feel like one problem is that Cyborg is thematically tied to computers. And computer technology is still evolving very rapidly, and our cultural relationship to it is also evolving very rapidly. So it's hard to write a story that ties into that theme that won't rapidly become dated. But if you're writing Aquaman, for example, "the ocean" has held the same cultural meaning (secrets, danger, hidden depths) for millennia. And the writer who learned about ocean life in high school biology can still use that knowledge 30 years later to write about how sharks have electrical sensors or whatever. So the broader, more stable base of knowledge makes it easier to write a decent story. But that's something that Cyborg doesn't have.

Also on the topic of Teen Titans Go, I think they had a pretty good take on the whole "Cyborg angsts about being human" storyline. He becomes human to experience the joy of hot tubs, but instead learns the tragedy of the hot tub being uncomfortably hot. There is also a song attached to this - maybe Cyborg's theme should be "singing" instead of "computers"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33I5zKr6HDw

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

nofather posted:

He seems more like Yohn Kohl, the Kheran Spartan's mind was copied from. He was a sort of Indiana Jones/Doc Savage type adventurer and explorer, though it looks like in modern times he's more James Bondish.

Perhaps he'll die and be reborn as a Spartan bot. Or they just have higher quality bots.

Also, who was the fifth clade? Daemonites?

oh right. i assumed spartan had a more similar personality to yohn kohl - i never read the team 7 stuff. my bad. i really liked what joe casey did with hadrian, so i hope we get him.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Rhyno posted:

Thank you for summing it up so well. Comic book Cyborg is boring and bland as all hell and always has been. He probably always will be. If DC had been smart they would have taken his TTG personality and reimagined him in the mainline comics.

People have been saying that for years about Starfire, too. Part of the problem, I think, is that the characterization for all of them works when they're actually teenagers, but they've all been some vague twentysomething adult age for decades now and nobody cares about millennial angst.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nuns with Guns posted:

People have been saying that for years about Starfire, too. Part of the problem, I think, is that the characterization for all of them works when they're actually teenagers, but they've all been some vague twentysomething adult age for decades now and nobody cares about millennial angst.

Long story short, except for Wally and Dick, the Titans kind of suck.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Rhyno posted:

Long story short, except for Wally and Dick, the Titans kind of suck.

Garth

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

It's odd that you would agree with me so much that you had to single out the worst offender.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Beast Boy, Raven, and Starfire are great actually.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Nuns with Guns posted:

I feel like there was a character that was relaunched as a platform for millennial angst and it failed, I forgot who, any ideas? It's not Batgirl of Burnside, atleast I'm pretty sure

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Honestly, I think badly copying what was good about the old Teen Titans cartoon has only been for the worse for the characters.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Roth posted:

Beast Boy, Raven, and Starfire are great actually.

Okay, the later Titans are okayish but the founders are mostly bad. And I'm a big fan of Roy.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Rhyno posted:

Okay, the later Titans are okayish but the founders are mostly bad. And I'm a big fan of Roy.

Oh, I thought you meant NTT-era.

Yeah, honestly, I like Teen Titans a lot but the sidekick characters are the least interesting part. It's part of why I don't care for Abnett's Titans.

Speaking of which, I have no idea what the point of Omen is outside of being a really boring version of Raven with a cool costume.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

Gnark needs a post Rebirth reboot.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Skwirl posted:

Gnark needs a post Rebirth reboot.

He's been working with Herald in Titans.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

nofather posted:

He's been working with Herald in Titans.

I was joking, I had to google the original Teen Titans when I found out most of the cartoon cast wasn't the original membership, and the cavemanteen with the funny name stuck out to me.

Good on him for still being around

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Gnark is Krang spelled backwards. It's also a cool name for an Alien snitch.

As a pretty severe comics trivia nerd, that's the extent of my Gnarknowledge.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Oh man. DC is releasing Doomsday Clock #1 on the week of Alan Moore's birthday.
That's beautiful.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Oh man. DC is releasing Doomsday Clock #1 on the week of Alan Moore's birthday.
That's beautiful.

Johns will never tire of trolling Moore.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Johns will never tire of trolling Moore.

For a guy who's silver age boner for character versions is forever and ever, his penchant for 80's moody violent poo poo and mushing the two together is like some horrible sandwich.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jiro posted:

For a guy who's silver age boner for character versions is forever and ever, his penchant for 80's moody violent poo poo and mushing the two together is like some horrible sandwich.

I bet none of these Watchmen bullshit would have happened if Moore hadn't talked poo poo about Johns a few years ago.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Jiro posted:

Johns' violence is more 90's ripsplits to me.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Open Marriage Night posted:

Johns' violence is more 90's ripsplits to me.

I've heard he either plays too much Mortal Kombat or played too much Mortal Kombat when he was younger.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I bet none of these Watchmen bullshit would have happened if Moore hadn't talked poo poo about Johns a few years ago.

I know none of this Watchmen bullshit would have happened if DC weren't lying cheating fucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

TheHan posted:

I guess I was a fool for thinking the Batman who Laughs was gonna be anything over than the ultimate edge lord blandfest.

Right?

What kept striking me as I read that origin story comic was just, "none of what the Joker is doing is funny, there's no gimmick or shtick here, he's just murdering people". And the same goes for the Batman Who Laughs - he just like, murders his family, makes Superman kill his own family and murders the rest of the Justice League. Where are the jokes? He might as well have been Batman crossed with Mr. Zsasz.

I swear the vast majority of comics writers do not get the point of the Joker as a character.