Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Nier:A is fun to play. You get to control a cool blindfold anime lady with a sword and do flips and combos and stuff. There is an element of customization with your chip loadouts and such that also lets you implement some fun features like healing upon dishing out damage or activating witch time when you dodge.

It's fun, but also kind of not that hard or complicated. To use another Platinum example, Bayonetta controls and plays far better but I would still 100 times out of 100 prefer to play Nier:A because the overall package is far more enjoyable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IdealFlaws
Aug 23, 2005

Macaluso posted:

Continuing with the theme of NieR disappointing me, I started up the second route, and when I got control for the first time and saw who the perspective was from I was like HELL yes I am all in on this. Then a few minutes later... well there goes that :v:

I really dig the hacking ability. The retro version of boss tracks are top nacho

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I'd say I acknowledge the gameplay flaws of Automata but I don't care about them that much because it's not trying to be a character action game. It's an action RPG with an emphasis on the RPG part that's designed to look cool when you play it rather than be particularly deep.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Help Im Alive posted:

I'm surprised Wolfenstein didn't sell a little better, it seemed like there was a lot of hype around it

On consoles, it released around Super Mario Odyssey and Assassin's Creed Origins. On PC, it released right next to a major expansion for Warframe and the PC release of Destiny 2. Even then, the market is very hostile to $60 single-player games you can Redbox in a weekend.

The Evil Within 2 performed about the same with pared back ad campaign.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah nier a, like nier classic, is fun to play but in a primitive and kind of insane way

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

BotW's combat isn't amazing in the scheme of everything out there, but it felt pretty much the same as every other Zelda game to me. Better than TP and SS I guess since no motion controls.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm getting real sick of laundromats but lmao at the cost of renting a house with the prices around here

He said as he contemplated dropping 160 bucks on a lego star destroyer

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

The Colonel posted:

i can't play any more resident evil 4 this year. i've unlocked leon's swanky outfit and the handcannon and i've beaten every extra game mode and i've unlocked the ray cannon thing. i'm DONE

I feel like replaying a game like RE4 with unlimited ammo weapons and the like is like, the prototype "Walk around the game world and just take in the scenery" mode more and more games are starting to offer now.

Because without a chapter select eventually you're going to hit a part in RE4 that you probably forgot about because compared to the rest of the game it's kind of a lovely part. But it's okay because you have the Chicago Typewriter or the Plagas Remover Canon so you don't need to worry about the bullshit in this particular part.

And there's like...at least a few of those parts in the entire game.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The last game I redboxed was Doom and I just ended up keeping it

Strangely enough they never charged our credit card the full 60 bucks

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

SWAT is on their way

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I would always be paranoid about something like that and being slapped with a lawsuit a decade later saying I owe them $5000 accounting for interest or some poo poo like that

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I owned a van once that broke down and then disappeared from the Firestone I pushed it to

A full year later I got a letter saying I owed the tow lot $1300, more than I had paid for the van

I said you know what, you can keep it

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

precision posted:

I'm getting real sick of laundromats but lmao at the cost of renting a house with the prices around here

He said as he contemplated dropping 160 bucks on a lego star destroyer

Do american apartments not have room for a washing machine?

(or at least a communal machine for the apartment complex)

Andrast fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Nov 18, 2017

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Andrast posted:

It depends. Most do, but if you live in a large city then it's a crapshoot if you're going to get an apartment with one.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nicer buildings have basement laundry rooms, but in ny fo example there are so many lovely old buildings that laundromats still thrive even in high rent areas

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Andrast posted:

(or at least a communal machine for the apartment complex)

The communal apartment machines are usually coin-op anyway, so it's just like having a laundromat you can (usually) walk to.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

The communal apartment machines are usually coin-op anyway, so it's just like having a laundromat you can (usually) walk to.

Yup. My last building was like 3.50 for 1 load wash/dry.

My new building is half that

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's a real crap shoot, in college I lived in literal Crack head apartments that had a very nice laundry room. The place we live now is technically a house that's separated into apartments and there's no room for a washer dryer. The high cost of living a block from the beach.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

My apartment has not only washer and dryer but an attached one car garage leading straight in just like a house

I’m basically spoiled :v:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

precision posted:

It's a real crap shoot, in college I lived in literal Crack head apartments that had a very nice laundry room. The place we live now is technically a house that's separated into apartments and there's no room for a washer dryer. The high cost of living a block from the beach.

Why even wear clothes?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
because if you live in, say, washington state, the beaches really suck after a certain month

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Chiming in to say high sales of Forza and GT Sport are from bundles. We sold through 25 copies of GT & 30 odd of Forza and got most of them traded back in, sealed, towards other things.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Having a washer/dryer in the home is such a creature comfort. Every time those things broke and I had to go to the laundromat, I felt such a burden placed upon me, like my life was slowly being drained away an hour and a quarter at a time

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

The White Dragon posted:

because if you live in, say, washington state, the beaches really suck after a certain month

To be fair, I rarely wear shoes or shirts unless it's raining. :v:

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Motto posted:

BotW's combat isn't amazing in the scheme of everything out there, but it felt pretty much the same as every other Zelda game to me. Better than TP and SS I guess since no motion controls.

I'm sure this has been litigated a ton in the BotW thread but my biggest problem with its combat was how top tier enemies became damage sponges. Couples with the weapon durability mechanic and lack of interesting rewards for killing monsters, I ended up avoiding most combat by the end of the game.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Seedge posted:

Chiming in to say high sales of Forza and GT Sport are from bundles. We sold through 25 copies of GT & 30 odd of Forza and got most of them traded back in, sealed, towards other things.

Yeah driving sims are the nichiest niche of the major genres but console maker execs are all old dads so they dont get it

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Car sims are all boondoggles so that the lead devs can go race Porsches in the Nürburgring on the company expense account

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

Yeah driving sims are the nichiest niche of the major genres but console maker execs are all old dads so they dont get it

I mean Gran Turismo has had some pretty insane numbers with their earlier games but I don't think anyone really wanted GT6 or Sport.

I think people just want an actual Gran Tursimo 7 on PS4

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Macaluso posted:

Continuing with the theme of NieR disappointing me, I started up the second route, and when I got control for the first time and saw who the perspective was from I was like HELL yes I am all in on this. Then a few minutes later... well there goes that :v:

I was in the same boat. I was so ready for a radical twist like that, and to be fair who you do play as instead is still cool, it's nowhere near as interesting as what could have been.

Ciaphas posted:

I was intending to start NieR:A today but even with the supposedly great story I can't really play games that are dull to actually, er, play

Maybe I'll do HZD instead, but first gonna adopt a new caaat~

Nier's gameplay is incredibly dull which is why it's taking me months to finish it. The story isn't all that unique and if you've read like anything from Phillip K Dick or Isaac Asimov, none of it will really wow you.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

I'm sure this has been litigated a ton in the BotW thread but my biggest problem with its combat was how top tier enemies became damage sponges. Couples with the weapon durability mechanic and lack of interesting rewards for killing monsters, I ended up avoiding most combat by the end of the game.

That's a separate issue to me but yeah, the highest tier common enemies are way too meaty for too little reward. They'd be better with way less health or just restricting the silver tier to Lynels.

e: Nier comes across as a game people will cool pretty hard on in a year or two. The first's appeal was strong points in a janky game that'd been mostly written off, but Nier:A has been/is still pretty hyped so I think it's getting the opposite effect.

Motto fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Nov 18, 2017

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Help Im Alive posted:

I mean Gran Turismo has had some pretty insane numbers with their earlier games but I don't think anyone really wanted GT6 or Sport.

I think people just want an actual Gran Tursimo 7 on PS4

On ps1 and ps2, yeah. Now people are bored.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

On ps1 and ps2, yeah. Now people are bored.

Gran Turismo 5 sold 12 million!!! (and GT5 Prologue sold 5 million)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

For me, it's the insane damage/armor balance that kills the combat.

Enemies do the same damage with weapons that you do (sometimes with a bonus, for stronger enemies). Each heart is 4 HP, and your armor value is just straight-up subtracted from the damage you take. Now take a look at some mid- and late-game weapon damage values and you can see how things scale out of control. Because damage you take is literally just damage - defense, there's no real curve--you go from taking several hearts of damage per hit, to upgrading a piece of armor and now taking half or a quarter heart from the same enemy. And as a result of the high weapon damage, late-game enemies become damage sponges, exactly like you're talking about.

IMO the game shouldn't have had a "defense" stat at all. Let armor just be useful for set bonuses--which it already is--and make the damage curve (and therefore enemy HP curve) shallower. I think it would've made a much better-balanced game.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Route B of Nier:A would be better if they actually had 9S get stuck in a machine body permanently and carried off from there

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Nina posted:

Route B of Nier:A would be better if they actually had 9S get stuck in a machine body permanently and carried off from there

I was wondering about that and that was another thing I was so loving disappointed with. The fact that he just comes back fine from that made the stakes of that ending mean practically nothing.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I don't really think he came back fine from that.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

tbh I only think the sponge thing is an issue, Zelda games aren't meant to be hard in terms of combat challenge, so I wouldn't really want to curve the maingame such that you're still getting swiftly wrecked across the whole thing.

Including stuff like the sword trial outside of DLC, better combat-focused shrines, and items that give bonuses for health/damage taken penalties like that medal in SS would be cool though

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Prey is a good example of why you don't do a demo if it's not of the final version, I was pretty excited about it at first but played the demo and hated it. Now months later I'm actually playing the finished game and I've probably been more than enthralled by it than any other game this year, or at least on par with Nier and Yakuza 0.

I'm sorry I bought your game second hand for £10 Arkane.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Best Helicopter Ride 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Macaluso posted:

Hacking is overpowered, learn to love the shoot-em-up.

• Locked thread