Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Johnny Joestar posted:

naked sickle grandpa is a treasure

On that farm he had a sickle

E. I. E. I. OHHHHHHHHHH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I will say the house in Remothered looks way too big and it looks like nearly everything can be examined which is difficult when up to three crazies are chasing you.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
outlast 2 really suffers from "what the gently caress am i supposed to do" far too often

like i'm in this mill and i have no idea where to go after turning this gear shaft i picked up, i see some thing close and he says "that should do it". its like, do what? i dont know what i just did game!

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
SOMA is coming out for Xbox One on Dec. 1. Only...what, 2+ years later? Better late than never, I guess.

If for some reason you have an Xbox and nothing else and are reading the Horror Games Thread, it's highly recommended.

It's also coming with a mode to remove the monsters from the game, since the mod that did so on PC was pretty popular. The PC version is getting this mode added in for free at some point as well. No word on if the PS4 version will get it. Having played the game, I can say that removing the monsters would probably improve the experience, especially in Theta because gently caress that zone.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

BlackFrost posted:

SOMA is coming out for Xbox One on Dec. 1. Only...what, 2+ years later? Better late than never, I guess.

If for some reason you have an Xbox and nothing else and are reading the Horror Games Thread, it's highly recommended.

It's also coming with a mode to remove the monsters from the game, since the mod that did so on PC was pretty popular. The PC version is getting this mode added in for free at some point as well. No word on if the PS4 version will get it. Having played the game, I can say that removing the monsters would probably improve the experience, especially in Theta because gently caress that zone.

They confirmed safe mode is coming to ps4 too.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I've been playing this new game, Hollow, but I think I'm going to refund it. It has some questionable design decisions I've noticed so far which make playing it a pain, but the truly :thunk: thing is that it seems to have some sort of weird women monster fetishization thing going on. First it kicks this cyborg naked woman monster at you that forms the basis of the next several enemy encounters (good luck if you don't headshot them, by the way - otherwise they'll take several shots to put down, plus if you try to preemptively reload it'll mean you lose all your currently loaded ammo). Their corpses are also used as various environmental props when the ship goes otherworld on you. Then you run into these posters used as decorative elements featuring either women in bikinis/lingerie or topless. I just quit at a new point that had a cutscene of a new monster which (from the few seconds the camera panned over it) seemed to have eight tits.

This combined with a "love letter" note I found (side note - the game is full of atrociously edited Engrish) makes me suspect that the main character had a Session 9-esque experience with his wife, but the whole thing is just fuckin' creepy in a bad way. Silent Hill 2 this ain't.

Also the save system is pretty poo poo.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I just saw that game earlier today and had about the same thought, just from screenshots and then a short bit of LP I watched, the bit about the odd fetish feel that is.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
SOMA with no monsters is way better.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Regular brain: Soma with monsters

Expanding brain: Soma, no monsters

Galactic brain: Soma, with nonaggressive monsters that just shuffle around aimless and lobotomized making an eerie presence and your only companions in the low and cold dark

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Soma sans monsters but not actually changing anything about the environments or the rest of the game to make up for how there's no monsters sounds like a lame compromise

I guess the only thing I'd actually like is just making the monsters better but that's way too much money and work for a new port to the Xbone of all things

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Nov 18, 2017

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Blockhouse posted:

Soma sans monsters but not actually changing anything about the environments or the rest of the game to make up for how there's no monsters sounds like a lame compromise

Bogart posted:

Galactic brain: Soma, with nonaggressive monsters that just shuffle around aimless and lobotomized making an eerie presence and your only companions in the low and cold dark

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

FreudianSlippers posted:

You could do a lot with a hospital setting.

Like maybe it's a sort of pathologic situation where some sort of supernatural plague (or maybe vamprism) is spreading through the hospital and your a doctor or a nurse or a patient dealing with it as the hospital becomes less and less functional each day.

Or maybe your a sick kid that has to defend himself from a supernatural child eater at night.

Or maybe your some sort of shapeshifting monster that has to avoid detection by the humans and feed on the dead and dying.

Or maybe it is just really haunted.
Of course a hospital that isn't abandoned needs NPC's with actual AI and animations and even recorded dialogue and all of that is far too expensive for even the biggest indie title.

you could always do an amazing swerve where the hospital director is skimming crazy pills from the pharmacy that he hides in a bust on his desk and then later just falls off a roof

throw in some slick action like driving a speeding ambulance down a rain soaked road as it approaches a cliff

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

exploded mummy posted:

you could always do an amazing swerve where the hospital director is skimming crazy pills from the pharmacy that he hides in a bust on his desk and then later just falls off a roof

throw in some slick action like driving a speeding ambulance down a rain soaked road as it approaches a cliff

I get it

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Idea:
Garth Marenghi's Darkplace: the videogame

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?

Bogart posted:

FWIW, I think it's just Kotaku that reported it's "no monsters" but the Wimp Mode mod that Safe Mode is based on did exactly this if I recall correctly, just made the monsters not attack you. Hopefully they went this route instead of just removing them entirely!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Honestly, I know this is stupid but I once had a weird dream like a year or so back about a first person game where you're locked in a mall as someone who can't get around easily due to being morbidly obese/geriatric and you have to escape before your motorized scooter runs out of power.

I'm convinced that that idea could make for a decent comedy horror game.

What are some other comedy horror games? I know resident evil dips into comedy a fair amount and FNAF is comedy horror but I can't think of anything else off the top of my head.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Until Dawn is goofy schlock with some funny deaths.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

What are some other comedy horror games? I know resident evil dips into comedy a fair amount and FNAF is comedy horror but I can't think of anything else off the top of my head.

If you'd count it, the House of the Dead series has a lot of unintentional and later very intentional ham to it.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Typing of the dead is pure humor through and through as well.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

BioEnchanted posted:

On the spooky asylum trope, Get Even's framing device is an amazing variation on it: Certainly you spend the entire game going through a spooky asylum with the standard lunatics attacking you, following the ever-escalating tale of the Party of the Puppetman - but it's completely ancilliary to the story. The asylum is literally irrelevant - the main character is in a simulation designed to keep his heart rate and adrenal levels high

So it's basically the film Crank?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Is there some sort of word for watching a weird kickstarter project continue to shuffle around from likely bad idea to badder idea? Because Unlucky Seven has likely passed through that threshold that separates legitimate,yet flawed kind of indie horror from something that feels like a badly hidden fetish project. Because one of the things you probably shouldn't touch without attracting a certain kind of audience is cannibalism. Especially when you add in anthropomorphic creatures.

Shame though, the new video outside of having a really awful song has a slick looking pixelation style to it that looks like someone refined PS1 era graphics into something that's actually looks like a design and not a filtered face to protect some sort of witness that's talking on TV.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Yardbomb posted:

If you'd count it, the House of the Dead series has a lot of unintentional and later very intentional ham to it.

The voice acting of HoD 2 is high art and I won't hear otherwise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDZs1LSgsSU

Crabtree posted:

Is there some sort of word for watching a weird kickstarter project continue to shuffle around from likely bad idea to badder idea? Because Unlucky Seven has likely passed through that threshold that separates legitimate,yet flawed kind of indie horror from something that feels like a badly hidden fetish project. Because one of the things you probably shouldn't touch without attracting a certain kind of audience is cannibalism. Especially when you add in anthropomorphic creatures.

Shame though, the new video outside of having a really awful song has a slick looking pixelation style to it that looks like someone refined PS1 era graphics into something that's actually looks like a design and not a filtered face to protect some sort of witness that's talking on TV.

How is it human flesh if everyone is an anthropomorphic creature :confused: Also, that is absolutely someones vore fetish.

Instruction Manuel fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Nov 18, 2017

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

FirstAidKite posted:

Honestly, I know this is stupid but I once had a weird dream like a year or so back about a first person game where you're locked in a mall as someone who can't get around easily due to being morbidly obese/geriatric and you have to escape before your motorized scooter runs out of power.

I'm convinced that that idea could make for a decent comedy horror game.

Illbleed

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Ineffiable posted:

Typing of the dead is pure humor through and through as well.

It needs a "teach you how to type" mode so I can get into it. Mavis Beacon Teaches Killing.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Gromit posted:

It needs a "teach you how to type" mode so I can get into it. Mavis Beacon Teaches Killing.

The original Typing of the Dead actually has fairly robust typing drills and practice modes. It's a genuinely effective typing tutor.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
the flamethrower boss in the evil within 2 has way too much hp. even hitting its weakpoints.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Abuse bushes to sneak attack one of 'em three times, dead

And yeah for real, if I am fortunate to have a kid I will no problem give them Typing of the Dead for a funny (8+) first typing tutor to really get them interested in it with goofy gore

Though now I'm actually feeling temporal horror, because I'm looking at the world we're in now, and realize right away that the typing would be starting way the hell younger than it did for me. Huh.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i think the poster might be referring to the plot-centric flamethrower guy fight where there's no bushes or anything and it's in that big room, which is very much kind of a loving pain

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

If you're not already, you gotta use those tanks around the room to flash freeze him, he's still fairly beefy but popping those and blasting his face off worked well.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

they missed out on the ending of TEW2 being finding lily's brain in the canister. that would have been a nice horror twist. i have to question why the stinger had the old stem lighting up, instead of say, ruvik showing up again. it also seems odd to totally omit oda except for the bit when you collect 11 slides.

my main gripe with the game, aside from the poor enemy variety, is the abundance of cutscenes. like the back 2/3 of the game is scene after scene and really kills the momentum.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

The original Typing of the Dead actually has fairly robust typing drills and practice modes. It's a genuinely effective typing tutor.

Ah. I've got Overkill as well as some DLC and couldn't get very far at all because even though I've been using computers for decades I still need to look at the keys.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Gromit posted:

Ah. I've got Overkill as well as some DLC and couldn't get very far at all because even though I've been using computers for decades I still need to look at the keys.

yeah Overkill won't teach you at all, unless you're already good at it. The original Typing of the dead will actually drill some decent habits into you. Mind you, it is also a much harder game.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Relin posted:

they missed out on the ending of TEW2 being finding lily's brain in the canister. that would have been a nice horror twist. i have to question why the stinger had the old stem lighting up, instead of say, ruvik showing up again. it also seems odd to totally omit oda except for the bit when you collect 11 slides.

my main gripe with the game, aside from the poor enemy variety, is the abundance of cutscenes. like the back 2/3 of the game is scene after scene and really kills the momentum.

I loved TEW1 for its gameplay and cool level design

Then I tried watching some LPs with a friend to see if 2 is cool. Nope, something about that game feels really off compared to 1

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

yeah Overkill won't teach you at all, unless you're already good at it. The original Typing of the dead will actually drill some decent habits into you. Mind you, it is also a much harder game.

Also, correct me if I am wrong but I think the first typing of the dead didn't accept spaces. I don't know if it just treated space as an invalid key or if it just ignored space entirely though. I also don't know if typing of the dead 2 or typing of the dead overkill changed it to make it use spaces.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Both games ignore space and, I’m pretty sure, punctuation. But Overkill has an optional Hardcore modifier that counts both.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

FirstAidKite posted:

Also, correct me if I am wrong but I think the first typing of the dead didn't accept spaces. I don't know if it just treated space as an invalid key or if it just ignored space entirely though. I also don't know if typing of the dead 2 or typing of the dead overkill changed it to make it use spaces.

Typing of the Dead 2 ignored spaces and actually ignored everything except the correct key press, so you could mash your face on the keyboard and get past the first level or so pretty effectively. They made up the difficulty by having you type out entire sentences by the end. The only time an incorrect keypress would get you in trouble was during the Magician fight, I believe.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

WaltherFeng posted:

I loved TEW1 for its gameplay and cool level design

Then I tried watching some LPs with a friend to see if 2 is cool. Nope, something about that game feels really off compared to 1
Just finished it, and what a goddamn weak, watered-down sequel. 26 hours of crouching through suburbia shanking enemies that look different but behave exactly the same. Say what you want about the original, but at the very least it had some eye-catching visual design, and constantly changed things up.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

FirstAidKite posted:

Neither game deals with space (unless Overkill Hardcore mode), but the first one totally deals with punctuation. It's actually one of the things that'll throw you if you play them back to back, the first one cares about commas, Overkill does not unless played in Hardcore mode.

Typing Of The Dead 2 doesn't deal with spaces on account of it being a japanese only game, and that language doesn't even have spaces. It's really hard though, gently caress Kunrei-Shiki romanisation, poo poo doesn't gel with my brain.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
It's a shame we never got Typing of the Dead 2 over here, I would have liked to play a version of House of the Dead 3 that didn't involve having to constantly cock a lightshotgun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

FirstAidKite posted:

It's a shame we never got Typing of the Dead 2 over here, I would have liked to play a version of House of the Dead 3 that didn't involve having to constantly cock a lightshotgun.

But that was one of the best parts of HoD 3? (I used to be able to 1 credit clear that game back in college)