Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Overall non spoiler question for people playing/running Strange Aeons. Did you bother or tell your players to bother with a back story for your characters? It seems the AP was more made for amnesiacs that learn their backstory engineered from the AP. Learning about their characters past from interacting with the AP.

We started with short backstories and have been building on them via the dreams/clues/memory fragments, but we're only just at the end of Book 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

ChrisAsmadi posted:

We started with short backstories and have been building on them via the dreams/clues/memory fragments, but we're only just at the end of Book 1.

We were told to do large backstories but in general there hasn’t been any “you remember X of your backstory”. Instead we remember things in recent history that we didn’t write.

We are apparently in part two of book two, but so far it appears to be generally a “We will tell you your backstory” kind of thing to us.

Our DM decided to do the AP the moment it came out, so he didn’t have the convenience of being able to read all of it before running it. Hence why I was curious if someone later had an idea of what was intended.

Having run other paths myself in the past, I have found that having all six was way easier to see the forest for the trees, and even made certain story points make more sense with a better grasp of context.

It was an experiment in the subscription model, but the fact that the maps and pawns came out last wasn’t awesome for us either. Then again almost nothing for those ended up being useful for book one.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
All I know is the amnesic thing is used for the end of book 3.

None of me group wanted to do Strange Aeons simply because of the amnesia.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Syzygy Stardust posted:

They’ve actually handed out a lot of bans in recent months. I got one for joking about Starfinder in the subscriber window before the official release. As seen with the “no shifter talk in the UW product thread” mandate, they’re really sensitive about criticism that might hurt sales.

It’s been interesting trying to figure out which old Paizo critics have disappeared and are the new Shifter critics I never heard of before.
I've literally seen people call the design team evil and then misgender one person and continue posting in the same thread like nothing happened.

quote:

It's actually fairly easy to get banned from the Paizo forums, it's just hard to notice because the account doesn't get any change to indicate that it's banned and you aren't allowed to talk about why someone was banned. There is a full unpersoning thing going on and 0 transparency.
What the gently caress do you have to do to get banned? I literally verbally berated an entire thread of people, called them all toxic assholes, and then wished that Paizo nerfed the lorewarden even more than they did out of spite.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

You have to piss off a thin skinned employee directly. Until you specifically piss of someone able to ban you personally you won't be banned. I mean that's why the "I actually think slavery is a good thing and should be allowed in pathfinder society" threads never resulted in bans. Telling Jason Bulmahn that his former characters turned setting fixture NPCs were kinda all creepy and sexist, will net you a ban for instance.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Nov 18, 2017

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Terrible Opinions posted:

You have to piss off a thin skinned employee directly. Until you specifically piss of someone able to ban you personally you won't be banned. I mean that's why the "I actually think slavery is a good thing and should be allowed in pathfinder society" threads never resulted in bans. Telling Jason Bulmahn that his former characters turned setting fixture NPCs were kinda all creepy and sexist, will net you a ban for instance.
It could just be that I'm also far less of an rear end in a top hat than I think I am towards the developers. Usually, my criticism is constructive.

Also, what characters did Bulmahn write?

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich

MadScientistWorking posted:

What the gently caress do you have to do to get banned? I literally verbally berated an entire thread of people, called them all toxic assholes, and then wished that Paizo nerfed the lorewarden even more than they did out of spite.

You have to be against Paizo or their favored bootlickers. Bashing people bashing Paizo doesn't get you in trouble.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Syzygy Stardust posted:

You have to be against Paizo or their favored bootlickers. Bashing people bashing Paizo doesn't get you in trouble.

For example, the people who got in trouble in the Folca thread on Paizo were the ones calling out the sexual abuse; not the posters telling them that "It's an evil book for evil characters, what did you expect?" :downsbravo:

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Well, Paizo is in the right on the Folca issue. Other people don’t have a duty to change their lives because of the hang ups of fringe people like abuse victims and peanut allergy crazies.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Syzygy Stardust posted:

Well, Paizo is in the right on the Folca issue. Other people don’t have a duty to change their lives because of the hang ups of fringe people like abuse victims and peanut allergy crazies.

xD

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Syzygy Stardust posted:

source your quotes

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I just looked the Folca thing up bc I had no clue what you were talking about and like, a demon that explicitly torments the young/innocent, and is about eroding peoples' sense of safety in places that are supposed to be abjectly safe, is one that makes sense if you handle it well holy poo poo it has a rape spell

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

wizard on a water slide posted:

I just looked the Folca thing up bc I had no clue what you were talking about and like, a demon that explicitly torments the young/innocent, and is about eroding peoples' sense of safety in places that are supposed to be abjectly safe, is one that makes sense if you handle it well holy poo poo it has a rape spell

Also its holy symbol in inner sea gods is a handful of candy

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

wizard on a water slide posted:

tRiggered much??? xD

My next character is gonna have Profession: Torturer. It's in a grimdark ultra real setting, super adult, super mature.

👏 No 👏 happy 👏 endings 👏 💯 keep it real 💯

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Arivia posted:

Also its holy symbol in inner sea gods is a handful of candy

His Fiendish Obedience is to stalk a child and then either do something horrible to them, or else force them to witness such a thing being done to someone else, and then release the child otherwise unharmed, with the promise that you will one day return.

Basically, Stephen King's IT as a daemonic harbinger.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
It's completely loving bewildering to me that a spell called "Unnatural Lust" that is expressly about making someone fall madly in love with you against their will even exists

Like it's completely conceptually redundant with classic core spells like Charm and Command and Dominate, except that normal people read those spells and come up with ten or twenty uses for them that aren't sexual assault

It's fantastic because it's the bad fantasy game writer phenomenon of churning out endless splatbooks by iterating on the spell list in redundant or highly-specific ways, turned to the absolute worst possible end

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Basically, it is both very easy and very difficult to be banned at the Paizo forums, because just about all moderation there is done at whim. That means if you are indeed one of the toadies you will essentially never be moderated no matter what you do (and there are absolutely plenty there that take advantage of that), whereas the more critical you are towards Paizo, the more likely you are to get moderated.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

It could just be that I'm also far less of an rear end in a top hat than I think I am towards the developers. Usually, my criticism is constructive.

CG manic pixie dream rogue types with low will saves, unless I'm mistaking him for someone else.

Leraika fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Nov 18, 2017

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

ProfessorCirno posted:

Basically, it is both very easy and very difficult to be banned at the Paizo forums, because just about all moderation there is done at whim. That means if you are indeed one of the toadies you will essentially never be moderated no matter what you do (and there are absolutely plenty there that take advantage of that), whereas the more critical you are towards Paizo, the more likely you are to get moderated.
I guess I might not have pissed off the wrong people. I do remember yelling at Paizo people about the fact that after banning slavery in PFS there was a scenario where you can gather up a bunch of slaves and run your own slavery operation.

And please don't misconstrued any of this defending Paizo. I'm just more amazed because I've literally seen a developer say,"Yeah. The moderation team rarely does anything even where there were forum members trying to drive me to suicide I still had to contact people in the company."

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich

And please don't misconstrued any of this defending Paizo. I'm just more amazed because I've literally seen a developer say,"Yeah. The moderation team rarely does anything even where there were forum members trying to drive me to suicide I still had to contact people in the company."

Maybe they agreed with the forum members.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

I guess I might not have pissed off the wrong people. I do remember yelling at Paizo people about the fact that after banning slavery in PFS there was a scenario where you can gather up a bunch of slaves and run your own slavery operation.

Like I said, it largely boils down to the fact that moderation on those forums is done entirely by whim. I can easily see someone being harassed on those forums nonstop without any moderator stepping in, and I can also easily see people being banned for minor, petty disputes. Turns out when moderation is entirely done on whim with no oversight, it just turns into people playing favorites. And it becomes real apparent real fast to certain posters when they're the favorites - I glanced at the forums recently over all this bullshit and saw to absolutely no surprise the same shitstirrers who were constantly harassing others, breaking rules, shitposting, and etc, still doing so, because they always did so in a pro-Paizo manner. Hell, you see it in the Ultimate Wilderness thread - people trying to actually discuss the Shifter being attacked by other posters...and then they, the ones having the discussion, are the ones banned from the thread and told to take it elsewhere.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Hmm reading the Paizo forums there is a thread on Workshopping the Shifter. Not sure about a lot of the ideas but one seems kind of decent, doesn't get at will Wild Shape until 20th but at least it gets it, also it does get at will Beast Shape I into a single form they pick at first level.

Heladriell posted:

My take at the shifter:

Same BAB, Saves, HD and Skills.

1st level: Alternate form (one at will form from beast shape I or alter self, once chosen cannot be changed); Natural attack (chose from claws, gore, tail slap or bite), wild empathy.
2nd level: Natural defense (con bonus as natural armor, same progression as instinct), Minor Aspects (1/2 level + con/day, unlimited duration).
3rd level: Natural weapon increase, Natural weapon training (choose one: add full str bonus on secondary natural attacks or add dex in place of str on natural weapon damage).
4th level: Wildshape (as druid, unlimited duration, can get in and out of the chosen form at will, 1/day), Fury of the Wilderness (add 1/4 level to attack and damage with natural weapons, count as magic), Pounce.
5th level: Shifting trick (may spend a minor aspect use to shift as a immediate action, gain an additional attack, +4 dodge bonus to AC, +20ft to speed for one round, or gain evasion for one round); Poison and disease resistance +4.
6th level: Ferocity (gains an additional attack with main natural weapon at -5, as iterative, add 1/5 level on saves against fear), Wildshape 2/day.
7th level: Increased natural weapon damage, Wild growth (add +2 size bonus to a physical attribute, stacks with wildshape. At 11th level it becomes +4 and +2 to a secondary attribute, at 16th level it becomes +6/+4/+2)
8th level: Wildshape 3/day, Stalwart (no secondary effects on fortitude saves).
9th level: Chimeric form (can spend 2 wildshape uses to apply the bonus of two different forms. Use the best speed, natural weapon damages, adjustments and natural armor of the two forms. Gain all abilities of both forms within the normal limits of wildshape).
10th level: Wildshape 4/day, Natural attack (choose another natural attack from the 1st level list).
11th level: Increased natural weapon damage, Ferocity (additional natural attack at -10).
12th level: Poison and disease immunity; Feral Vigor (can spend 1 aspect use to gain fast healing 5 for lvl rounds or recover 2 points of ability damage/drain or negative level.), Wildshape 5/day.
13th level: Increased natural weapon damage; A thousand faces.
14th level: Wildshape 6/day
15th level: Immunity to fatigue
16th level: Wildshape 7/day, Ferocity (additional natural attack at -15)
17th level: Increased natural weapon damage
18th level: Wildshape 8/day
19th level: Immunity to paralisis
20th level: Wildshape at will

All natural weapons start at 1d6, all increases follow monk table.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Basically every sexy demon lady comes from him and most of them were originally his PCs in their in house games. He's also the one who ends up writing the "you guys have to go through a demon brothel to finish this quest" bits that keep showing up in Paizo adventure paths.

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Buhlman or Jacobs?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Got my hands on Ultimate Wilderness. The exploration rules are good (basically the other half of the hexcrawl rules from Ultimate Campaign), weather is a bit overcomplicated but good, hazards are fine, herbalism is great, treasures and trophies fit in well with talismanic material components, poison rules are good, spells of the wild is a wilderness version of the great spell interpretations section from Ultimate Intrigue.

Green faith section is whatever, first world stuff is fine, foraging and salvaging is bleh, wilderness traps are okay.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Syzygy Stardust posted:

Buhlman or Jacobs?
I totally just got the two of them confused. I was thinking about Jacobs there. My bad.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Herbalism is that thing where druids can make mud potions, right? At the cost of their companion/domain?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Ryuujin posted:

Hmm reading the Paizo forums there is a thread on Workshopping the Shifter. Not sure about a lot of the ideas but one seems kind of decent, doesn't get at will Wild Shape until 20th but at least it gets it, also it does get at will Beast Shape I into a single form they pick at first level.

What is even the point of wild shape having an X/day limit? Once you can be wildshaped for 8 hours a day total the only actual practical limit is the number of unique forms you can take in a day, and the X/day becomes irrelevant.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Nihilarian posted:

Herbalism is that thing where druids can make mud potions, right? At the cost of their companion/domain?
There are multiple mechanics. There is an herbalism mechanic for the druid which is pretty good but I didn't see that in Ultimate Wilderness. Arivia is referring to a crafting mechanic from Alchemy Manual that they elaborated upon.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Is Oozemorph in as dire a situation as the megathread on it makes it seem?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Its an archetype that actively has to fight its own mechanics. It's pretty bad.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Yes the Oozemorph cannot use magic items, except for the 1 hour a day it is in a humanoid form and even then only if the item didn't require spending 24 hours or more attuning, and gets nothing to replace them. It does get more hours of humanoid form as it levels, but it is slow going and there is no guarantee that using another use while in the first would extend it and count as continuous hours for the attuning of magic items, in other words they might actually never be able to attune to those magic items.

Its damage caps out at 1d6. Yes it gets more attacks but this damage is pitiful, and it maxes out at 4 attacks no matter what form it might take. It does admittedly have more options for forms it can take, eventually, as it gets Beast Shape I at 8th level, 4 levels after the Shifter gets Beast Shape II, and Beast Shape II at level 15. These don't have the limit of needing to be an Aspect choice, since the Oozemorph doesn't get Aspects.

The Oozemorph does not get the scaling Wis mod to AC that a base Shifter gets, and remember that when not Wild Shaped they cannot wear or carry armor. They do get DR Slashing, but that is unlikely to keep them alive, especially since I feel like most weapon attacks will end up being slashing.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Overall non spoiler question for people playing/running Strange Aeons. Did you bother or tell your players to bother with a back story for your characters? It seems the AP was more made for amnesiacs that learn their backstory engineered from the AP. Learning about their characters past from interacting with the AP.

Our DM gave us a bit of leeway regarding just how much we remembered of our pre-N-years-ago history. Because I'm a neeerd, I wrote up a little vignette of what my character remembered.

The conceit that a couple of us are playing with, though, is that our leveling up is less "us getting more powerful" and more "us remembering things we used to be able to do". So like, when my character gained a level and I put the first point in "Knowledge (Engineering)", my character was like "wait a moment, I know the name of that kind of arch"; again, because neeeerd, I wrote little vignettes for some of these, giving some more backstory on what my character remembered.

We've also had some other memories handed to us as we've progressed.

It hasn't been a super big thing so far, and I'm kind of enjoying it.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

ProfessorCirno posted:

He literally went to his own social media to whine about me personally twice. Once during the Ultimate Combat playtest when I pushed him on why a cleric should be able to replace a fighter and not vice versa (SKR plays clerics), and again when I pushed what the actual mechanical point of trap options were.

Do you happen to have screenshots. I've heard the story before but never saw his actual whining.

The first one may have been this thread. The second one may have been the infamous separatist thread, specifically around here, which lead to my second-favorite SKR post here where he starts waxing on about how he's had some games where he's played a sub-optimal character and still done wondrous things, when as far as I can tell, almost none of it actually came from any mechanical option rather than simply dice luck and the DM being willing to roll with it.

And then there's my personal favorite, a single post containing what may be the purest SKR with like six different bad design opinions.

Basically every sexy demon lady comes from him and most of them were originally his PCs in their in house games. He's also the one who ends up writing the "you guys have to go through a demon brothel to finish this quest" bits that keep showing up in Paizo adventure paths.

My FATAL & Friends file has a surprising amount of James Jacobs. Dude's written some poo poo.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Keeping a hate file on Pathfinder developers you don't like is kind of creepy.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

A FATAL and Friends file would imply that it's an archive of the thread FATAL and Friends a thread for making fun of bad RPG supplements, not a file on Pathfinder developers. Sorry your reading comprehension isn't quite up to snuff.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Nomadic Scholar posted:

The Oozemorph was designed by someone who wanted to penalize you for being an ooze, and thus made it unplayable on purpose.

LightWarden posted:

The first one may have been this thread. The second one may have been the infamous separatist thread, specifically around here, which lead to my second-favorite SKR post here where he starts waxing on about how he's had some games where he's played a sub-optimal character and still done wondrous things, when as far as I can tell, almost none of it actually came from any mechanical option rather than simply dice luck and the DM being willing to roll with it.

And then there's my personal favorite, a single post containing what may be the purest SKR with like six different bad design opinions.

Those links are great because go on and read them and guess which posters have either been pushed out or moderated away, and which ones haven't been.

Again - Paizo does not moderate people who are pro-Paizo regardless of how lovely their posting is, and how aggressive they are at attacking others - in fact if anything, the more aggressively you defend Paizo, the more they let you do whatever you want. Thus leading to the forums being as toxic as they are, to the point where now people just trying to talk shop without even engaging the devs still get harassed so much they have to lock the thread. And ban the people being attacked, naturally.

Arivia posted:

Keeping receipts and following trends isn't.

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Nov 19, 2017

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

Arivia posted:

I don't, Paizo's thread search feature works pretty well if you remember enough of what you were looking for.

A FATAL and Friends file would imply that it's an archive of the thread FATAL and Friends a thread for making fun of bad RPG supplements, not a file on Pathfinder developers.

Yeah, there's a list of stuff I want to write up for the FATAL & Friends thread dealing with the rather varying ways D&D supplements have handled adult topics, and James Jacobs' name is on several of the less-than-great ones.

LightWarden fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Nov 19, 2017

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Apparently the People of the Wastes includes a brawler archetype that gives you a mechanical hand that can do cool poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

How's the gunslinger archetype in the book? I heard talk of a blunderbuss specialist.