Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

People really have trouble with the last pull of Skalla? It's like only six mobs. The one before the second boss is a lot bigger and harder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
DPS in dungeons, folks. It helps a lot.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
So, question about the Level 50 Dark Knight quest: if you play as a Lalafell, is Fray really tiny? :allears:

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

As long as we're sort of on the subject of tanks, I'm bringing my PLD up through the ranks, currently level 53. I'm guessing that Sheltron can be popped whenever on trash pulls, and saved for tankbusters if possible? Does it give less/any mitigation on magic damage, or did they make everything blockable in Stormblood?

sheltron is free mitigation, and it doesn't care what kind of damage you're taking. note that blocking isn't just a flat amount of damage, either, it changes depending on your stats (i forget which one), so it gets better as you level.

using it during big pulls is kinda useless mitigation-wise, because it's just going to be one block among many (bulwark is a better option) but it can be useful to spam due to it having the side-effect of giving you MP so you can do extra clemeny's or holy spirits (once you have that).

speaking of which, clemency is under-used in trash pulls imo. often you are going to run out of TP because the dps sucks, so you have the option of doing pitiful single-target dps, or alternating clemency/total exclipse. not only does clemency give your healer more room to dps, it also generates aggro just in case that's an issue for you. note that tanks have the lowest dps potential in trash pulls, so anything that lets the healer holy more is more is worth it.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Ask me about the leveling roulette I just ran with a sprout tank who insisted on pulling everything they possibly could and the sprout healer that used every gcd to cast medica until they ran out of mana.

This was Sastasha and they died about three times each.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Brainamp posted:

Ask me about the leveling roulette I just ran with a sprout tank who insisted on pulling everything they possibly could and the sprout healer that used every gcd to cast medica until they ran out of mana.

This was Sastasha and they died about three times each.

the candle that burns twice as bright lives half as long. godspeed.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Die Sexmonster! posted:

DPS in dungeons, folks. It helps a lot.

What the gently caress is going on with SMN right now?

Fister Roboto posted:

People really have trouble with the last pull of Skalla? It's like only six mobs. The one before the second boss is a lot bigger and harder.

Which one has the DesertMan guys and the little golems? That's the one where it's a 50/50 on if I die or not. The big zombie men hit hard, but usually that one goes alright. I just don't remember if it's boss 2 or 3.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Sarrisan posted:

sheltron is free mitigation, and it doesn't care what kind of damage you're taking. note that blocking isn't just a flat amount of damage, either, it changes depending on your stats (i forget which one), so it gets better as you level.

The mitigation from blocking isn't affected by your stats at all, only by the block strength value on the shield.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

The mitigation from blocking isn't affected by your stats at all, only by the block strength value on the shield.

oh is that it? all i knew is the number kept getting bigger so i thought it was my defense stat or something.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

SonicRulez posted:

SMN's in a good place but there's always a bit of a question about how correctly dots are being tracked.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Fister Roboto posted:

The idol splashes lightning on everyone in melee so the more people in there, the more healing gets diverted. If you burn the idol down then it becomes a generic pull, much like the entire dungeon. If you aoe the pack and your aoe sucks then you'll run out of ogcds to heal everyone in melee so it becomes a little weird for a dungeon pull.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

SonicRulez posted:

Which one has the DesertMan guys and the little golems? That's the one where it's a 50/50 on if I die or not. The big zombie men hit hard, but usually that one goes alright. I just don't remember if it's boss 2 or 3.

ACT still doesn't have the bane nerf implemented. Yes, the one from Stormblood launch.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

SonicRulez posted:

Summoner has always had great AOE damage and the Tri-Bind changes in 4.1 made it even better, plus I believe ACT's simulation of the dropoff on Bane (and DOT effects in general) and Deathflare/Akh Morn is a bit off, though it's a lot closer than the 18-20,000+ DPS that it used to report on big trash pulls. I think BLM is the only job that has comparable AOE right now, obviously depending on BLMs procs and such (i know nothing about BLM) versus the SMN having Aetherflow stacks and/or Bahamut ready to go.

Anyways, I was the Summoner in that run, and I saw some bigger numbers than that. That six-mob pull before the final boss that everyone's complaining about? Turns out that rotting royals and spooky floating jars don't like getting Akh Morn'd and Mathemagic'd. The two really big pulls in there had more DPS going out, but bragging about your DPS output on a 12+ mob pull feels like cheating a bit.

and i'm just now noticing the tank's name. anime was a mistake.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

So, question about the Level 50 Dark Knight quest: if you play as a Lalafell, is Fray really tiny? :allears:

Nope, normal sized. Then tiny when the reveal happens. It does make the dramatic scene a little bit adorable

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Jorge Bell posted:

One time I made all my abilities macros and spent the next day getting booted from every roulette I ran.

you have won at ffxiv

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

'Ernest Namingway' is top tier though.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Gloomy Rube posted:

Nope, normal sized. Then tiny when the reveal happens. It does make the dramatic scene a little bit adorable

Aw. That is great, though.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis

Rascyc posted:

The idol splashes lightning on everyone in melee so the more people in there, the more healing gets diverted. If you burn the idol down then it becomes a generic pull, much like the entire dungeon. If you aoe the pack and your aoe sucks then you'll run out of ogcds to heal everyone in melee so it becomes a little weird for a dungeon pull.

Explains how I dropped so much during Tenka combos. All the more reason to focus idols :black101:

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Rascyc posted:

ACT still doesn't have the bane nerf implemented. Yes, the one from Stormblood launch.

That explains a lot.

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.
I wanted to level up ARC after getting to 70, since I was looking up jobs to level, that unlocks two, and I have to ask:

Which has the more interesting Job Quests, Summoner or Scholar? Or is either boring?

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Rastan Beeza posted:

I wanted to level up ARC after getting to 70, since I was looking up jobs to level, that unlocks two, and I have to ask:

Which has the more interesting Job Quests, Summoner or Scholar? Or is either boring?

I would say summoner, but neither of them are DRK levels of interesting.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Rascyc posted:

Also if melee/tanks get hit by the fat ghost AoE's your DPS is gonna suffer because they hit you with Accuracy Down.
Which is something actually noteworthy now.

The main issue is the Idol's autoattack being a lightning cleave though.

The 3 Dhara's pull is still more dangerous simply because Plain Pound hurts a lot.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Rastan Beeza posted:

SCH were cuter and more intetesting imho. But you should probably do both, because why not, it's free job.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

If you're a lore nerd, the SCH quests get into some cool historical stuff with the Nymians

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Summoner has you dealing with Primals and hanging out with Y'shtola's sister.

Scholar has Tonberries in cute outfits.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Summoner and Scholar both have good lore but of the two I like Scholar outfits better, especially since the caster DPS outfits for a while were just palette swapped healer outfits with IMO worse color schemes.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Kwyndig posted:

Summoner and Scholar both have good lore but of the two I like Scholar outfits better, especially since the caster DPS outfits for a while were just palette swapped healer outfits with IMO worse color schemes.

Scholar gets a steampunk top hat.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Scholar gets some Hellboy AF.... AF2.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
I did all the SMN and SCH job quests and barely remember them. Didn’t really leave an impression. Lots of Tonberries.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Die Sexmonster! posted:

I did all the SMN and SCH job quests and barely remember them. Didn’t really leave an impression. Lots of Tonberries.

The SCH quests have the best character in the game with the drill sergeant, the best Lalafell in the game, and the prettiest Tonberry lady in all of Eorzea. :3:

Though they really need to move along with, or move away from, the whole Curing Tonberry-itis plot that's supposed to be driving your Scholarly adventures. I think the driving narrative has been "yeah, we're right on the verge of a cure!" for about four years now.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
I want to start making my own gear and tools for crafting and I'm pretty much starting from scratch, all non hq 70 vender gear. My plan is to farm yellow scrips for the tools then I imagine I would have to hq some of the twin silk gear before trying for the next tier. Will I need to meld my standard gear before attempting to hq the twin silk set? I don't really know if these are the right questions to be asking, Im just trying get advice on the best way to get my foot in the door to higher level crafting.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I wasn't sure if I liked the Skallic Coat of Casting, but now I am.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

The SCH quests have the best character in the game with the drill sergeant, the best Lalafell in the game, and the prettiest Tonberry lady in all of Eorzea. :3:

Though they really need to move along with, or move away from, the whole Curing Tonberry-itis plot that's supposed to be driving your Scholarly adventures. I think the driving narrative has been "yeah, we're right on the verge of a cure!" for about four years now.

Heavensward's SCH story wasn't about being close to a cure as much as "Oh poo poo we figured out this weird invisible voidsent is the cause of the disease and we can kill it for good!"

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Any tips for running SCH in 8 man enviroments? Just getting to 70 and i get the feeling running current content, even normal mode. Is going to be a different beast than doing random roulettes. Also since i'm asking what materia should i slotting in?

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

I want to start making my own gear and tools for crafting and I'm pretty much starting from scratch, all non hq 70 vender gear. My plan is to farm yellow scrips for the tools then I imagine I would have to hq some of the twin silk gear before trying for the next tier. Will I need to meld my standard gear before attempting to hq the twin silk set? I don't really know if these are the right questions to be asking, Im just trying get advice on the best way to get my foot in the door to higher level crafting.

I'm sure someone more experienced will speak up, but I think it's a bit difficult to make the new stuff from pure twinsilk tier. You'll probably need some RNG and some overmelds. It's comparably a lot easier to make the new stuff with even just a couple pieces from the new set. I'm not sure where the breakpoint is on investment, though. It's a pretty penny to attempt to make the new stuff and fail. The materials come from every gatherer (but fishers in particular), and from yellow scrip.

On the plus side, it's not hard to make the twinsilk stuff. I would bet you could make it from vendor NQ stuff? I made it with 60 gear, albeit nice 60 gear. The materials are fairly easy to get your hands on, anyway.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Any tips for running SCH in 8 man enviroments? Just getting to 70 and i get the feeling running current content, even normal mode. Is going to be a different beast than doing random roulettes. Also since i'm asking what materia should i slotting in?

You'll always have a cohealer in 8-mans, which changes the question from how can you efficiently handle all the healing to how you focus on what you're good at.

In general, a scholar is good at (and should therefore do):
- healing quickly after a tankbuster with excog
- aoe healing on the move "between mechanics" with indom
- mitigating heavy raidwide damage with eos, sacred soil, and succor
- keeping a tank alive while both healers are occupied with aetherpact
- dpsing on the move with miasma2 and ruin2
- turret dps, if your cohealer is diurnal ast

In general, a scholar is bad at (and should avoid unless necessary):
- extended throughput healing over a period of multiple GCDs (ogcds have cooldowns)
- efficient single target healing (lustrate costs dps, tetra/dignity etc don't)
- solo healing while the other healer does mechanics
- turret dps, if your cohealer is whm
- raising

The short version is that you should lean on your entire absurdly large toolbox of cooldowns to make your cohealer's life easier, but try to avoid actually using anything with a cast bar unless necessary.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
this goes totally out the window if your cohealer is actually poo poo (merely mediocre ones can still keep hp bars up, at the cost of doing like 400 dps)

play noct ast if you want to handle that case efficiently

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Leofish posted:

I wasn't sure if I liked the Skallic Coat of Casting, but now I am.

ovan!!!!!!!!

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

After much annoyance with black holes, we managed to make it to NED right at the end of our raid night.

Edit:

Brainamp fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Nov 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Summoner has always had great AOE damage and the Tri-Bind changes in 4.1 made it even better, plus I believe ACT's simulation of the dropoff on Bane (and DOT effects in general) and Deathflare/Akh Morn is a bit off, though it's a lot closer than the 18-20,000+ DPS that it used to report on big trash pulls. I think BLM is the only job that has comparable AOE right now, obviously depending on BLMs procs and such (i know nothing about BLM) versus the SMN having Aetherflow stacks and/or Bahamut ready to go.

Anyways, I was the Summoner in that run, and I saw some bigger numbers than that. That six-mob pull before the final boss that everyone's complaining about? Turns out that rotting royals and spooky floating jars don't like getting Akh Morn'd and Mathemagic'd. The two really big pulls in there had more DPS going out, but bragging about your DPS output on a 12+ mob pull feels like cheating a bit.

From what I've seen + heard, SMN AoE is just better than BLM's now. If you're wondering what the point of BLM is right now then I'm also dying to know.