Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

doingitwrong posted:

Anyone tried Hand of Fate 2?

Yeah it’s good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Evil Within 2 seems a bit slow to start compared to the first game but it looks pretty, at least when the textures aren't popping in a second later when the camera moves quick anyway.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Sakurazuka posted:

The Evil Within 2 seems a bit slow to start compared to the first game but it looks pretty, at least when the textures aren't popping in a second later when the camera moves quick anyway.

It wouldn't feel like TEW without that

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
yakuza game combat can seem boring until you look and realize you have like 20 dope rear end moves you forgot you unlocked because mashing buttons is super effective in like 999/1000 battles. this is especially true of yakuza 0

it's neat because it's kinda like "as deep as you want it to be". i mean you can just buy weapons and tell everyone to gently caress off if you want to

gently caress the media king fight though

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

precision posted:

gently caress the disco king fight though

ftfy

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

So I tried out Breath of the Wild's master mode because a less piss easy version of the game sounded appealing. Master mode swings too hard in the other direction I feel, the regenerating health is fuckin stupid, it kicks in way too fast for a game with BotW's slow rear end combat.

I don't know if I'm missing something or what but the enemies feel way too spongy. Everything I do barely scratches them.

LeafyOrb fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Nov 19, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
nintendo doesn't really "get" difficulty modes, i can't think of any nintendo game with a hard mode that actually is fun and not just intentionally punching yourself in the dick

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

precision posted:

nintendo doesn't really "get" difficulty modes, i can't think of any nintendo game with a hard mode that actually is fun and not just intentionally punching yourself in the dick

Metroid Zero Mission has the best hard mode in video game history

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

precision posted:

They did when the games offered "B modes" that essentially put the game at about arcade difficulty. So 1983 through 1984.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

In Training posted:

Actually that honor goes to Bayonetta

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

In Training posted:

Order of Ecclesia

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"holiday sugar cookie" cracker jack is like... crack

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

How are these Yakuza dodging shotgun blasts, it's like fuckin XCOM

precision posted:

yakuza game combat can seem boring until you look and realize you have like 20 dope rear end moves you forgot you unlocked because mashing buttons is super effective in like 999/1000 battles. this is especially true of yakuza 0

If the super-effective method is boring but effective that makes it boring, I honestly tried some of the moves but a lot of the counters and special moves seem super finicky and don't work, whereas spamming the same combo until I can do a heat move almost always works. Yakuza combat feels bad because it's easy to get stunlocked and knocked down and at the same time whiffing is really easy to do and the recovery time is also insane

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Nov 19, 2017

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

precision posted:

Ocarina of Time Master Quest

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

i love picking up crypt of the necrodancer for the first time in three months and still nailing the daily challenge

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

i love picking up crypt of the necrodancer for the first time in three months and still nailing the daily challenge

i love that they added dangit ronpaul music and skins for free, even to the ps4 version.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

When's Nintendo gonna make another Pikmin game

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

[quote="“LeafyOrb”" post="“478532537”"]
So I tried out Breath of the Wild’s master mode because a less piss easy version of the game sounded appealing. Master mode swings too hard in the other direction I feel, the regenerating health is fuckin stupid, it kicks in way too fast for a game with BotW’s slow rear end combat.

I don’t know if I’m missing something or what but the enemies feel way too spongy. Everything I do barely scratches them.
[/quote]

You get over the hump eventually. The enemies don't regenerate if you apply constant pressure like pinging them with an arrow as you close distance with them again. The attack boosting potions are easy enough to make.

During the early game I pretty much ran away from everything until I got armor, though. You don't really have to fight anything. A lot of paragliding in and stealing their poo poo and running away like an rear end in a top hat 🤣.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Internet Kraken posted:

When's Nintendo gonna make another Pikmin game

They just released one in July. (Don't get excited)

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I started wondering if so many indie games doing it has kinda devalued metanarrative twists in people’s eyes, even for older games

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Olive! posted:

They just released one in July. (Don't get excited)

You know that one doesn't count.

Nina posted:

I started wondering if so many indie games doing it has kinda devalued metanarrative twists in people’s eyes, even for older games

I feel like there's a lot of stuff you can do with a metanarrative so I'm not turned off by them. Like just as an example the meta aspect of Undertale is different from the stuff Nier: Automata does with it.

Certainly, like all story elements, it can be handled in an extremely poor way.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Nov 19, 2017

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I didn't hate Hey Pikmin but it extremely doesn't count.

And it's non-canonical. :colbert:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The only metanarrative twists I find genuinely kind of stupid are the variations of "The only way to win the game is not to play".

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Raxivace posted:

The only metanarrative twists I find genuinely kind of stupid are the variations of "The only way to win the game is not to play".

I don't like "you have to actually alter or look at the game files" because gently caress that I'm lazy

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Did any of the stuff in Hacknet count as meta? Because man, I liked Hacknet

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Raxivace posted:

I hate how the vast majority of time travel related stories just end up being this.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

precision posted:

I don't like "you have to actually alter or look at the game files" because gently caress that I'm lazy

I thought that was pretty slick in Doki Doki Literature Club

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I want to clarify that I'm specifically thinking of didactic games that seem to be mad at you for playing them to begin with for no real reason, like they're the movie Funny Games or something.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Macaluso posted:

I thought that was pretty slick in Doki Doki Literature Club

Kinda yeah, but I still would have liked it if it were handled "in game". Though that's probably a real hard thing to do in the engine it was made in.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Raxivace posted:

I want to clarify that I'm specifically thinking of didactic games that seem to be mad at you for playing them to begin with for no real reason, like they're the movie Funny Games or something.

SotC is really good though.

I would add Undertale and Nier: A but those are games that want you to play them but also want you to stop.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

glam rock hamhock posted:

I would add Undertale and Nier: A but those are games that want you to play them but also want you to stop.

Undertale also wants you to think the unpunished war criminal is a good person because she's a wacky goofball

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Ometeotl posted:

Undertale also wants you to think the unpunished war criminal is a good person because she's a wacky goofball

"anime lol"

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the part in that x-men game on the genesis where you have to hit the reset button

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Ometeotl posted:

Are you talking about Alphys cause :psyduck:

That's liker super simplifying things AND completely ignoring the character in general??

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

glam rock hamhock posted:

I honestly think SotC is weirdly kind of contradictory about this. Like this is the story the cutscenes tell (Sort of, depending on how cynically you read how like nobody ever actually seems to stay dead.), but its also a game that encourages you to fight the Colossi over and over again for new weapons and items, or to beat Time Trial records or to try again but on Hard Mode and so forth. The PS3 version adds the allure of Trophies and even 3D for increased spectacle.

I think Automata has a little more of a point to it, particularly with Ending E.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

homeless snail posted:

the part in that x-men game on the genesis where you have to hit the reset button

Man that pissed me the gently caress off. I had no internet or game guides and had to hear through my brothers friend what to actually do.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
are Takis a nationwide thing or is it just my proximity to Mexico (where they're made)? they're like "doritos turned up to 11" and seem like they should supplant them as the new Gamer Fuel

guacamole is the best, and nitro is not to be hosed with if you have working taste buds

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I like what Ending E stands for a lot but I can’t 100% get over wondering if it’s lying to you about its mechanics. Then again it’s very much a ”clap your hands to bring Tinkerbell back to life” ending so it probably doesn’t matter so much

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nina posted:

I like what Ending E stands for a lot but I can’t 100% get over wondering if it’s lying to you about its mechanics. Then again it’s very much a ”clap your hands to bring Tinkerbell back to life” ending so it probably doesn’t matter so much

It's not. Nier 1 did something similar that didn't gently caress around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

I think Nina may be talking about not the deleting your save, the destroying other player's uploads.

• Locked thread