Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Powaqoatse posted:

There'sa movie called Cleanflix but I can't find a company. Is that name the name of the documentary or was there a real company with that name and a documentary about that company

i dont wanna watch some whatever

Documentary is Cleanflix, company was CleanFlicks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Skwirl posted:

Documentary is Cleanflix, company was CleanFlicks

aha! thanks :)

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Tickled was great and extremely surreal, guy who wanted to know.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

re: Curious George talk. Just saw this tweet, and look at the child's shirt. That's the George we deserve:

https://twitter.com/PopVinyls/status/931794152618184704

Why so Curious?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Davros1 posted:

re: Curious George talk. Just saw this tweet, and look at the child's shirt. That's the George we deserve:

https://twitter.com/PopVinyls/status/931794152618184704

Why so Curious?

that kid likes pharoahe, i like that kid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjxvBlTCRuI

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Rough Lobster posted:

Tickled was great and extremely surreal, guy who wanted to know.

David Farrier is also a pretty good journalist outside of the film, his expose on perverts getting children to act out obvious fetish material under the guise of "dares" and "challenges" was especially :stonk: and he seems to be making a nice niche out of taking weird internet stuff and presenting it in a way your parents could understand without descending into full alarmism.

https://thespinoff.co.nz/society/21-11-2016/hello-my-name-is-ally-how-children-are-being-exploited-by-youtube-predators/

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

I saw a trailer for Rampage before Justice League. What percentage of movie-goers are even familiar with Rampage? Did the games even have a plot? It seems like an odd choice for a movie.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

DorianGravy posted:

I saw a trailer for Rampage before Justice League. What percentage of movie-goers are even familiar with Rampage? Did the games even have a plot? It seems like an odd choice for a movie.

no plot except huge monsters loving cities up

"odd choice" more like "nobrainer" though

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
As came up earlier in the thread, they still managed to diverge the plot significantly from the games, albeit probably for the better.

Kinda funny how King Kong's seemingly entered the kaiju mythos properly at last and influence has gone both ways.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DorianGravy posted:

I don't think they're really worried about people caring about the game tie-in, that's just a bonus. But also, to people around my age, gently caress yeah Rampage was awesome!

Now where's my Gauntlet movie. WIZARD NEEDS FOOD... BADLY

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Justice League was thoroughly mediocre. It attempted to ape both Avengers movies too much instead of being its own thing, which didn't endear it to me because I consider both Avengers movies to be on the lower end of quality when it comes to Marvel. The action also wasn't shot all that well. It seemed far too floaty. I heard good things about Wonder Woman, was the action in that shot better?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I wish they'd just give up on this version of the DCU and start it over with someone who has a plan and good ideas.

They could even have their cake and eat it too by just doing Crisis On Infinite Earths.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Considering how the audiences have wised up to the Snyder films, I'm guess his name is poison at WB now.

Though considering that earlier this year Wonder Woman did gang busters, I wonder if they'll just ignore the whole extended JL property and ride that cash cow. Or do a soft reboot with Patty Jenkins at the helm instead.

SomeJazzyRat fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Nov 19, 2017

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Considering how the audiences have wised up to the Snyder films, I'm guess his name is poison at WB now.

Though considering that earlier this year Wonder Woman did gang busters, I wonder if they'll just ignore the whole extended JL property and ride that cash cow. Or do a soft reboot with Patty Jenkins at the helm instead.

Both Snyder films were very successful.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Both Snyder films were very successful.

Not as successful as they wanted, though JL is apparently doing worse so who knows where they go from here.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CharlestheHammer posted:

Not as successful as they wanted, though JL is apparently doing worse so who knows where they go from here.

"Not as successful as you want" is not really what people are talking about.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Nov 19, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
What's the worst part of Justice League, the Snyder parts or the Whedon reshoots?

It's sad that the Injustice games work better as DC films than the actual DC films.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

"Not as successful as you want" has driven a lot of business decisions over the years.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

precision posted:

What's the worst part of Justice League, the Snyder parts or the Whedon reshoots?

It's sad that the Injustice games work better as DC films than the actual DC films.

the ones look on par to that JLA pilot they made 20 years ago (the whedon parts duh)

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Casimir Radon posted:

Justice League was thoroughly mediocre. It attempted to ape both Avengers movies too much instead of being its own thing, which didn't endear it to me because I consider both Avengers movies to be on the lower end of quality when it comes to Marvel. The action also wasn't shot all that well. It seemed far too floaty. I heard good things about Wonder Woman, was the action in that shot better?

I only caught Wonder Woman recently, but I was kind of disappointed, considering how hyped up it got. Maybe it was me, but I still thought it was kind of mediocre.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Effectively it is.

I mean a lot of people seem to think a movie has to be non profitable for movie executives to care but that doesn't really jell with the info we have.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Wasn't it Amazing Spiderman 2 that made a ton of profit but was still enough of a "failure" to kill that reboot?

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Movie - production budget, worldwide gross

MoS - 225m, 670m
BvS - 250m, 875m
ASM - 230m, 760m
ASM2 - estimated ~250m, 710m

Marketing is not included in the budgets and can easily go into additional hundreds of millions on these huge projects.

I think it came out in the Sony leaks that executives were shooting for 1 billion on ASM2 but lord knows what kind of calculations these people do to model the whims of capricious nerds. Really any of the accounting that goes into a half billion dollar entertainment project boggles the mind and I imagine on a certain level the people financing these things know that they're ultimately gambling.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
They're not gambling at all. Hollywood accounting will have the studio making money on a blockbuster movie before the first ticket is sold.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Casimir Radon posted:

"Not as successful as you want" has driven a lot of business decisions over the years.

And that doesn't make it sensible. A lot of businesses have massively unrealistic expectations for profit projections and usually blame something completely random when it inevitably isn't the record-breaker they expect.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I like to think back on all the plans they had for the Spider-Man cinematic universe. We could have had an Aunt May spy movie!

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
It's really unclear what's "reasonable" or "acceptable" with this stuff because there are a lot of unknowns: marketing costs, deals with production companies and financiers, merchandise/product placement, home video, licensing, and so forth.

The real big x factor is that these projects are supposed to provide cover for the more uncertain stuff--like even if League is $100 million in the black or whatever that might not be good enough if WB takes a bath on Rampage and Tomb Raider, for example.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Ror posted:

Movie - production budget, worldwide gross

MoS - 225m, 670m
BvS - 250m, 875m
ASM - 230m, 760m
ASM2 - estimated ~250m, 710m

Marketing is not included in the budgets and can easily go into additional hundreds of millions on these huge projects.

I think it came out in the Sony leaks that executives were shooting for 1 billion on ASM2 but lord knows what kind of calculations these people do to model the whims of capricious nerds. Really any of the accounting that goes into a half billion dollar entertainment project boggles the mind and I imagine on a certain level the people financing these things know that they're ultimately gambling.

I think the Marvel Cinematic Universe has driven people insane because they all plan on having these interconnected movies in a franchise and think they'll all make so much money, and then when it doesn't happen they panic. It's like Marvel has some secret formula that people can't figure out, so they destroy their failed experiments and try again with something else. Like how the Dark Universe went for Universal. Nobody seems to actually worry about making a good movie because they think it's the interconnected part that everyone loves so much.

At least the X-Men franchise has sort of grown out of this, but it took someone leaking Deadpool footage to convince them that they don't have to follow that model.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

I like to think back on all the plans they had for the Spider-Man cinematic universe. We could have had an Aunt May spy movie!

With Homecoming being successful, now they are actually going forward with it. Not the Aunt May movie unfortunately, but they’re films my Venom with Tom Hardy right now.

It’s worth noting that currently Justice League have an even bigger gap between critics score and user score on Rotten Tomatoes compared to Man of Steel, BvS and Suicide Squad.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

The MSJ posted:

With Homecoming being successful, now they are actually going forward with it. Not the Aunt May movie unfortunately...

Which is a real shame, I could watch two hours of all of Queens macking on Marisa Tomei which gives Spider-Man major issues.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Honestly, Justice League basically made me leave the theater thinking it was "average".

The actual real fun of the movie is finding where the re-shoots were, because hoooo boy does this give Fantastic Four a run for it's money in the really obvious re-shoots department. The "Contractually Obligated Mustache of Henry Cavil" (I still believe this should be a horror book title or something) allows you to easily see which Superman scenes were re-shoots (all but one of them, Christ), and there are some really jarring shifts in scenes where suddenly the camera changes places and all of a sudden characters are throwing snarky comedy-lines before it shifts back to the original camera location and you realize you just saw a Whedon add-on in the middle of a Synder scene. If you look at the trailers from before Whedon came on you can then compare that to the movie and see that he shifted a lot of night scenes to the day, either by color shifting or flat out reshooting the scenes. The color shifts also lead to weird poo poo were the costumes look really off because Synder meant them to be shot and blocked a certain dark, gloomy way and they look fake in full daylight Whedon-vision.

I walked out thinking the best scene in the movie was in the dead middle where the Justice League has to do battle with a confused friend and the Flash has a neat moment involving something happening in slow-mo while the faint strings of a certain 1980's movie soundtrack plays. It turns out lots of people liked this scene, and honestly the whole loving movie should have been the plot point I'm hinting at spread across the entire 2 hour run time. I'll talk more about it at length once the spoiler I'm hinting at that everyone already knows happens becomes real common knowledge. The villain was terrible, but also CGI so it didn't even have the pleasure of Cate Blanchett (or any actor) hamming it up for the audience.

EDIT: In fact, after you watch this movie, go watch all the trailers again and be amazed at how few of those scenes are in this movie.

Anonymous Zebra fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Nov 19, 2017

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Honestly, Justice League basically made me leave the theater thinking it was "average".

The actual real fun of the movie is finding where the re-shoots were, because hoooo boy does this give Fantastic Four a run for it's money in the really obvious re-shoots department. The "Contractually Obligated Mustache of Henry Cavil" (I still believe this should be a horror book title or something) allows you to easily see which Superman scenes were re-shoots (all but one of them, Christ), and there are some really jarring shifts in scenes where suddenly the camera changes places and all of a sudden characters are throwing snarky comedy-lines before it shifts back to the original camera location and you realize you just saw a Whedon add-on in the middle of a Synder scene. If you look at the trailers from before Whedon came on you can then compare that to the movie and see that he shifted a lot of night scenes to the day, either by color shifting or flat out reshooting the scenes. The color shifts also lead to weird poo poo were the costumes look really off because Synder meant them to be shot and blocked a certain dark, gloomy way and they look fake in full daylight Whedon-vision.
EDIT: In fact, after you watch this movie, go watch all the trailers again and be amazed at how few of those scenes are in this movie.

There's already some of this out there!

Violator posted:

From the DCEU reddit. This is a cherry picked comparison obviously, but someone pointed out that they didn't include Bruce's widow's peak in the reshoots and now I can't unsee it.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
I think people are going to probably find lots of different reasons they didn't like Justice League. The honest truth is that Whedon and Synder likely could have created two very different movies that fit their vision for how to make these kinds of things that some people would hate and some people would love, but when you try and mash them together into a rushed project that didn't even have time to make proper CGI enemies and apparently lacked anyone with the creativity of suggesting a certain actor just wear a fake beard, you kind of get a weird mess.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Codependent Poster posted:

There's already some of this out there!

Violator posted:

someone pointed out that they didn't include Bruce's widow's peak in the reshoots and now I can't unsee it.

Oh man, I haven't seen the film yet and now that I know this I'll be looking out for it the whole time.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Anonymous Zebra posted:

I think people are going to probably find lots of different reasons they didn't like Justice League. The honest truth is that Whedon and Synder likely could have created two very different movies that fit their vision for how to make these kinds of things that some people would hate and some people would love, but when you try and mash them together into a rushed project that didn't even have time to make proper CGI enemies and apparently lacked anyone with the creativity of suggesting a certain actor just wear a fake beard, you kind of get a weird mess.

Ugh, like people needed more reasons to take endless screenshots from Zack Snyder movies...

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Gigantic blockbuster movies don't actually cost the amount that gets reported. Like, a studio tells you the production budget, sometimes with the tax break for wherever they shot it included in the total and sometimes not, but they don't surface how much product placement covers, what is the balance from co-financing, what is covered from foreign pre-sales, how much licensing will get them back, and so on. You can go "boy Man of Steel cost that much and only made that much back, that must have been a disappointment!", but $170 million of that production budget was covered by product placement - there's over 100 brands in that movie. They were well on the way to profitability on the film even if they blew $250 million on promotional buys. Then there's the licensing they did with Carl's Jr., Pepsi, Doritos, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. And then merchandising returns, home video release, it's a pretty good racket. BvS has a similar ridiculous amount of product placement. As do Marvel movies. And we all know the ubiquity of the licensing deals on those films.

Suddenly it makes a lot more sense why studios keep on excessively shoving towards giant, recognized brands as the movies they put out, doesn't it.

Then you use your corporate overlord's accounting department to make your massive profits disappear for enough time that the government can't tax all of it and rinse + repeat.

Things like Star Wars don't get the benefit of product placement, but they do have an excessively lucrative license (that you can charge a premium for) that everyone wants and that alone has probably covered like the entirety of at least one movie's budget.

Hell, The Emoji Movie probably paid for itself by tech companies wanting to be literal settings in the movie.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Well that is until its time to pay whomever had a deal with points on the back end. Then the movie was such a flop it's bankrupting the studio. Like those Lord of Rings movies no one ever went to see, New Line Cinema hasn't seen a dollar of profit from those flops.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Didn't Superman have a beard when he was revived in the comics? Or was that a mullet?

Whatever, just say it was a side-effect of the process and leave it at that. But no, we gotta give the CGI department more to do I guess.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HxdTKjNeFM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Time to dust off the Luke/Bigger Luke theories with the new Justice League/Snarky Justice League theories

• Locked thread