Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Glad I didn't buy the original when it went on sale after a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Tired Moritz posted:

isn't the plot about getting trapped in a high school world by vocaloids

It's about a group of students who realize they've been eternally trapped in this ever repeating high school anime setting VR simulation which is p. great coming from the person that wrote the only good persona games before they became that fantasy of everyday high school life.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The Colonel posted:

it has the p2 writer yeah but apparently the combat was complete poo poo. maybe the remake will suck less???

Using Unreal on the PS4 so it can run at double digit FPS is a start at least.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've seen low budget UE4 games that would refute that claim.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I wouldn't trust furyu to make a game that runs well on anything

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

lets hang out posted:

I wouldn't trust furyu to make a game that runs well on anything
This. It's FuRyu, don't get your hopes up for it being anything better than mediocre.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's about a group of students who realize they've been eternally trapped in this ever repeating high school anime setting VR simulation which is p. great coming from the person that wrote the only good persona games before they became that fantasy of everyday high school life.

So it's the first hour of Fate/Extra?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Sakurazuka posted:

I've seen low budget UE4 games that would refute that claim.

ARK on the Bone was something to behold.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Anyone playing .hack//G.U. Last Recode on PC have a volume 1 complete save you'd be willing to share? I crashed and lost a lot progress (forgot there was no auto-save) and I realized I don't really want to go through Vol. 1 again. But I would like to import good stuff to Vol. 2 since I haven't played that one!

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

well

is the writing good?

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Levantine posted:

Anyone playing .hack//G.U. Last Recode on PC have a volume 1 complete save you'd be willing to share? I crashed and lost a lot progress (forgot there was no auto-save) and I realized I don't really want to go through Vol. 1 again. But I would like to import good stuff to Vol. 2 since I haven't played that one!

How has the game been running for you? I want to pick it up, but a crash like that makes me wary, and another friend told me they've had a lot of slowdown and audio desyncing in the cutscenes.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

CubeTheory posted:

How has the game been running for you? I want to pick it up, but a crash like that makes me wary, and another friend told me they've had a lot of slowdown and audio desyncing in the cutscenes.

Other than the crash it runs really well. I'm not on a top of the line machine (i7-4790 + GTX 970) and I don't think I have any frame rate dips or audio issues at all.

The lack of autosave sucks, though, and I hate that they didn't add one for this release.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Tired Moritz posted:

well

is the writing good?

I dunno, I've read the plot gimmick and seen the first hour before I stopped because of time. With the remake coming out with a female protag option I'll probably just wait for it to finish the game.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I have a strong urge to spend dumb amounts of money on an anime game. I'd wanted to pick up .hack for the PS4, since I never finished those games and would kinda like to -- but I also wanna try Demon Gaze 2, except I get this impression that it's kind of skeevy? But it also looks like a kind of cool dungeon crawler?

What should I do, RPG thread?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Trails games

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Out of those two choices I'd pick .hack//, mostly out of principle.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Levantine posted:

If you can guide me through sending it to you I can send you my maxed out Volume 1. I have all affection maxed, full books, and multiple Beginner's Books and Scrolls.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I have a strong urge to spend dumb amounts of money on an anime game. I'd wanted to pick up .hack for the PS4, since I never finished those games and would kinda like to -- but I also wanna try Demon Gaze 2, except I get this impression that it's kind of skeevy? But it also looks like a kind of cool dungeon crawler?

What should I do, RPG thread?

Buy Last Recode. It's kind of anime but it's not really skeevy.

CubeTheory posted:

The game runs fine for me but I've noticed a couple of things that causes crashes;

If you have your rumble turned on the steam overlay can send rumble commands to the game when you alt tab. The game will then crash because the controller shouldn't be rumbling. I've only got a PS4 controller but I think this happened on a Steam controller because it was happening to a friend.

If you hammer skip on Divine Awakenings the game can soft lock; didn't have this problem if you waited a second or two but if you're just hammering skip as it's loading it can hang.

I also had a bug I can't replicate that's only happened once where something happened with my video card and it reset; my screens went black and all my windows shifted to my first monitor, causing the game's picture to freeze but I could still move around and do things, but I've literally only seen that once.

Stallion Cabana fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Nov 18, 2017

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Got the first real ending in Nier. I know the 2nd play through will go faster but I don’t know if I can just turn around and play through the same story again with some slight alterations. Does the plot in NG+ diverge a lot? Also I’m not going to be locked out of the true ending or whatever if I don’t do all the quests am I?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's impossible to miss Ending E. Quests are just quests, they don't factor in at all to the main endings.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
Yeah, I'm having massive menu lag and framerate issues on Last Recode. I'm holding out faint hope they release a patch, but it's possible I won't be able to play it for now. My PC isn't even that old or low-end.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Yeah despite being a Yoko Taro game the ending requirements are a lot nicer.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Getsuya posted:

Got the first real ending in Nier. I know the 2nd play through will go faster but I don’t know if I can just turn around and play through the same story again with some slight alterations. Does the plot in NG+ diverge a lot? Also I’m not going to be locked out of the true ending or whatever if I don’t do all the quests am I?

Playthrough A and B are basically the same, just from different perspectives.

Ending C and D are entirely new content and are selected by a literal choice at the end. Beating this once opens up level select so you can go back right to the ending decision and pick the other one.

Ending E happens automatically after you pick whichever ending you didn't pick the first time.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Alright I’ll probably just blitz through B then.

At least the hacking makes everything fairly trivial, combat-wise.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Anyone play Battle Chasers on the PS4 since they patched it? Looking for a lighter weight RPG over the holidays. Really hoping the crashes are fixed and it's not a total snooze fest in the last third of the game like the reviews insist despite the difficulty setting (a long shot, I know).

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I'm sad that the forum stuff dries up a lot in .hack/GU 2, or at least it's heavily backloaded.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Rascyc posted:

Anyone play Battle Chasers on the PS4 since they patched it? Looking for a lighter weight RPG over the holidays. Really hoping the crashes are fixed and it's not a total snooze fest in the last third of the game like the reviews insist despite the difficulty setting (a long shot, I know).

I picked it up. It's not bad, it has tons of cool ideas and the animations and spritework is aces. Dungeons are pretty dull, they are basically just successions of rooms with enemies in them, no puzzles or anything. I'd say the game is sort of tepid in its setting -- I feel like I'm on episode 8 of some Saturday morning cartoon show I've never heard of, so the characters have a hard time connecting with me.

What I really like are the systems behind its battles -- lots of status effects you can play with, fights can be won in a variety of ways and all the party members feel unique. Better, I like how dungeons are sort of segregated from regular areas you can explore, and you have the ability to adjust the difficulty level of each dungeon for better loot, so you can replay dungeons with higher level gear for fun and profit.

I feel like the game wants you to grind, though, I'm in the third dungeon and enemy damage and health is rising rapidly and it's pretty tough to play above the normal difficulty level without getting wrecked.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it's based on a cancelled comic book from the 90s, so 'episode 8 of a cartoon I've never heard of' is almost literally what it is

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
since I just did it; if anyone else wants a full save file of Volumes 1 or 2 for Last Recode for their PC, either to skip the hit/miss first volume and get to the good parts or to use a save that has every greeting card/full Ryu books/maxed skill levels and equipment/etc, just pm me and I can send it.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I know this is my fault for not saving as much as I probably should, but I just lost about 2 hours of gameplay in Nier because I accidentally walked the wrong way during a scene which the game interpreted as me wanting to see one of its joke 'and then they decided to do something else' endings. Considering I was already fairly lukewarm about immediately playing the exact same story again after doing it once, I think I'm going to shelf it for a while. Just a week or two. It's time to play something else.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Just sell it on the cheap so someone less fortunate can actually enjoy it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

TurnipFritter posted:

The PSP version makes the Law path the best option. Apparently they realized no one ever went law in the SNES/PS1 version, so they went to ridiculous levels of overcompensation: Ravness, the new character that they added and who was featured prominently in a lot of promotional material? Law exclusive. Half the post game stuff they added? Requires Vyse to be alive, so you have to do the Law path. Aloser/Arycelle, the overpowered Archer who used to be a Chaos exclusive? Now you can get her in the Law path. Ozma? Law exclusive.

I was reading the PSP version LP and recall hearing about all the blatant Law Route buffs it had, but IIRC the only reason (excluding story, I guess) to go the Law route in the SFC/PSX version was to get Haborym because Haborym was broken as poo poo with status effects. If an enemy could be petrified he could probably land it on them consistently because he had completely bonkers spell accuracy. I think he also managed to be a not-garbage attacker, despite sword master being kinda terrible in the original game.

Though in the end Dragon Magic still reigned supreme. Especially when used by a character that went through the reanimate+retissue process, or wielded a Snapdragon weapon...

Or both :black101:

U-DO Burger posted:

Getting new characters with unique classes in the LUCT postgame only to have to grind them up from level 1 was loving horrible.

The leveling and crafting systems in the LUCT remake are why I never played it and likely never will. If I need to pick between having two exorcists punch each other in the face, and healing occasionally, from level 1-50 while I'm asleep or the PSP's god awful system then sign me up for the Priest Fights.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Matsuno is not very good at game design.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

WrightOfWay posted:

Matsuno is not very good at game design.

Idk, FFT was pretty solid despite the whole thing with CT making endgame magic real bad and zodiac compatibility being kinda silly.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Last Celebration posted:

Idk, FFT was pretty solid despite the whole thing with CT making endgame magic real bad and zodiac compatibility being kinda silly.

Matsuno was the director, but not the game designer, for FFT. (For Tactics Ogre he was both.)

Hiroyuki Ito did the design for battles in FFT. He also invented the ATB... and designed the battle system for FF8, so they can't all be winners.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Penpal posted:

I haven't played Front Mission 3 since I was a kid and I remember getting to the meat of the game a lot quicker than the 4 hours it's taken me to finally get outta Japan. I just want to swap mech parts and guns and legs and all that. Is FM4 any better, or does it have a long as hell intro, too?

What are some good mech RPGs? I like customizing specific body parts, and even though it's not a mech game I loved Hybrid Heaven because I could make limbs tougher (and suplex aliens)

Remembered one that's a bit more mech and a lot more rpg. AIM: Artificial Intelligence Machines and AIM2: Clan Wars. Janky Russian first person rpgs where you explore alien landscapes as the latest model of robot hovercar to hit The Range trying to figure out just what The Range is and what your place in it is. The second game is on Steam but I think the only place you can get the first game in English is Gamersgate. They're a bit of a slow burn but there's a bit of an interesting story to find behind all the jank. And then in the second game you mostly just murder everyone and enslave their ai brains for various purposes.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Liver Disaster posted:

Just sell it on the cheap so someone less fortunate can actually enjoy it.

Sadly I have the Steam version.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
I feel like it would make everyone's life better when asking advice or reading spoilers to specify they are talking about Nier: Automata, on account of you know, it being the sequel to a game that's just called Nier

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I mean there's a fairly high probability that people are going to be talking about the one that came out this this year, not the one from 7 years ago.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
Not necessarily? We talk about and play old games literally all the time, and plenty of people play the previous entries in a series when a new one comes out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Sakurazuka posted:

I mean there's a fairly high probability that people are going to be talking about the one that came out this this year, not the one from 7 years ago.

Yeah but it's almost universal when us internet nerds talk about video games to abbreviate/label them with their proper subtitle or number. I can think of barely a handful of cases where people commonly don't either due to confusing soft reboots or otherwise stubborn fans. Nier:A is one of them.