Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It's not because there's no setup, it's because it's probably not the hottest idea to have that happen in 2017, The Year Of The Gun Massacre.

every year is that though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Yakmouth posted:

??

The General Relativity where time moves slower as you approach the speed of light?
Time moves faster on Sakaar...

It's a universe where magic is real, it doesn't need to make sense.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Stairmaster posted:

every year is that though

weird it's almost like we have a cultural problem

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

Phylodox posted:

No, it doesn't. It just moves weirdly. A few seconds to Thor while on the bifrost is weeks to Loki while on Sakaar, but millions of years to the Grandmaster is... :heysexy:

Heh, Goldblum is always a treat.

The time thing bugs me because it feels lazy. The writers wanted Loki to have some extra weeks to get into the Grandmaster’s good graces, and couldn’t come up with a better way to do it than “gently caress it, it’s Magic”.

There’s nothing wrong with the concept per se — and it helps explain why Valkyrie, who must be [i[ancient[/i] to have fought Hela back in the day, is about the same physical age as Thor — but I’m not a fan of the execution.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Yakmouth posted:

Heh, Goldblum is always a treat.

The time thing bugs me because it feels lazy. The writers wanted Loki to have some extra weeks to get into the Grandmaster’s good graces, and couldn’t come up with a better way to do it than “gently caress it, it’s Magic”.

There’s nothing wrong with the concept per se — and it helps explain why Valkyrie, who must be [i[ancient[/i] to have fought Hela back in the day, is about the same physical age as Thor — but I’m not a fan of the execution.

It's a movie about people who fly with hammers that contains literal wizards. Lighten the gently caress up

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Yakmouth posted:

??

The General Relativity where time moves slower as you approach the speed of light?
Time moves faster on Sakaar...

That's SR, GR is time dilation caused by gravity* (in particular, stronger gravity = slower time).

(Note: time on GPS satellites actually travels faster than down here on earth, despite the fact that they're moving really quickly relative to us. This is because the gravitational field down here is much much stronger than out in space.)

In general, though, time at A moving slower at time at B is exactly the same as time at B moving faster than time at A. It is, as the name suggests, all relative.

*Strictly speaking SR is included in GR

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

MrL_JaKiri posted:

That's SR, GR is time dilation caused by gravity* (in particular, stronger gravity = slower time).

(Note: time on GPS satellites actually travels faster than down here on earth, despite the fact that they're moving really quickly relative to us. This is because the gravitational field down here is much much stronger than out in space.)

In general, though, time at A moving slower at time at B is exactly the same as time at B moving faster than time at A. It is, as the name suggests, all relative.

*Strictly speaking SR is included in GR

Fair cop.

I retract all complaints.

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

No guns in movies ever again!

Because only bad guys have guns and someone might die this year from a gunshot wound.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The universe is shaped like, and is, a giant hyperdimensional semimetaphorical-but-maybe-not tree Yggdrasil, its life being the universe's life. The nine realms grow in it. The rest of the universe is fungus on its bark.

Also, the ship has a hyperdrive, so it's dimension-warping in some way or other anyway. Also, it was kinda depicted with Loki that if you fall off Asgard you fall into the common universe, although it may or may not be possible to go the other way around.

I didn't even think of Thor as cracking many jokes in this, he just rolls with the absurdity and takes it all in good humor and ends up being funny as a result, like when he's swinging around at the start. He's not deliberately looking to make jokes, he's just a jovial person in an absurd world.

Odin dying didn't seem as abrupt and mechanical to me as it seems to have for the rest of you, I think because I just came off Thor 1 and 2 and Anthony Hopkins has basically been playing Odin as weakening and dying the entire time, so him having one scene here where he goes 'yo, bye' seemed like just it naturally followed the last thing I saw of him.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Nov 19, 2017

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Sierra Nevadan posted:

No guns in movies ever again!

Because only bad guys have guns and someone might die this year from a gunshot wound.

It's just hard for me to enjoy guns as something awesome and cool in movies, particularly so close on the heels of the shooting in Texas. My mind just went straight to that guy blowing the heads off those kids in the church with the exact same type of gun and it was a slight downer. Just a slightly distracting little niggling detail but maybe I'm just an oversensitive weenie idk ymmv

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It's just hard for me to enjoy guns as something awesome and cool in movies, particularly so close on the heels of the shooting in Texas. My mind just went straight to that guy blowing the heads off those kids in the church with the exact same type of gun and it was a slight downer. Just a slightly distracting little niggling detail but maybe I'm just an oversensitive weenie idk ymmv

It sucks but yeah this problem is not going to get better anytime soon, so there's really no point in taking out guns from movies.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
There's also nothing wrong with being turned off by the glamorization of violence for entertainment.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Bulging well oiled muscly men also bother me.

Maybe not in the same way as you but i wish they stop being in movies so I don’t have to answer uh... hard questions about myself.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

LingcodKilla posted:

Bulging well oiled muscly men also bother me.

Maybe not in the same way as you but i wish they stop being in movies so I don’t have to answer uh... hard questions about myself.

what

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

he gay

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

I approve but that's a lame-rear end joke.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Oh I thought we were complaining about things that are never gonna change.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

LingcodKilla posted:

I don't think there's a real equivalency between glorifying gun violence and Chris Hemsworth taking his shirt off.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Glorifying human sexuality is actually a good thing. Cultural repression of healthy sexuality is a bad thing, while cultural acceptance of gun violence is also a bad thing.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

LingcodKilla posted:

It's ok to be gay

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Gun violence being used to defend an entire of race of people.

But I suppose violence is more acceptable when it’s stabbing and pummeling.

You know, the stuff that would still happen if all guns disappear tomorrow.

I suggest you stop watching action movies.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

LingcodKilla posted:

Gun violence being used to defend an entire of race of people.

But I suppose violence is more acceptable when it’s stabbing and pummeling.

You know, the stuff that would still happen if all guns disappear tomorrow.

I suggest you stop watching action movies.

uh yikes

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I saw the movie yesterday. Had fun even though I haven’t seen any of the other MCU movies except the first avengers and first guardians of the galaxy. Just a real fun romp. Jeff Goldblum was great in particular. I enjoyed the design for the garbage planet although I’m slightly disappointed weird al’s “dare to be stupid” wasn’t used :v:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The garbage planet stuff was a lot of fun, Goldblum's character in particular felt like something out of a Douglas Adams story and I'd love to see more outright whimsy like that.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Seeing people talking about Hemsworth revealing his chops as a comedian makes me hope I live long enough to see the reactions of our children 60 years from now, who are only familiar with his 90-year history of funny movies, seeing Thor and having their brains explode as they realize the future's equivalent of, I don't know, Steve Martin or something, used to be the hottest guy on the planet.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It'll be like when Leslie Nielsen was in Forbidden Planet before becoming a comedy iconm

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Snak posted:

It'll be like when Jason Alexander was in Jacob's Ladder before becoming a comedy iconm

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Right, but mine is about a movie with space ships and planets in it.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

He's good in Cabin in the Woods too.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

You mean The Burning

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Good night, everybody! It was a fun thread, see you in the next one (but not if you see me first, ha ha).

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Loki absolutely making GBS threads himself upon seeing the Hulk is probably my favorite part. It's a small bit, but a lazier movie wouldn't have cared or remembered.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

TheHoosier posted:

Loki absolutely making GBS threads himself upon seeing the Hulk is probably my favorite part. It's a small bit, but a lazier movie wouldn't have cared or remembered.

Also his whole Yes! That's how it feels!" bit

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

TheHoosier posted:

The look on his face at "Oh! Loki's here too! Hey Loki, look who it is!"

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Alternatively, guns, particularly assault rifles like the M16 or its semiauto counterpart, belong in a certain contexts which more resemble a warrior throwing himself into the maw of the enemy in order to defend the weak and less a peaceful civilian setting removed from the battlefield?

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
This was pretty fun but still felt like an Ziploc bag full of glitter like all the other Marvel movies. Cate Blanchett elevated her material wonderfully; shame about the lovely cgi on a lot of her shots, and the cgi body in her big fight against the Asgardian troops was embarrassing

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

MikeJF posted:

The look on his face at "Oh! Loki's here too! Hey Loki, look who it is!"

He was great througout
especially when he started to almost care that Thor was getting pulverized

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Question about the general timeline of this movie.

Ok, so Odin dies, Hela is unleashed, Loki and Thor try to escape back to Asgard via the Bifrost but Loki and Thor are both knocked out of it by Hela. Thor eventually meets up with Loki and Loki says he had arrived 2 weeks before Thor did. Does this mean the bifrost sent Loki back in time 2 weeks? Getting from one end to the other end of the bifrost is pretty quick I think, I don't remember it taking 2 weeks for Thor to get from Asgard to Earth or vice versa. I was thinking that maybe the events with Thor dealing with the arena were actually taking place before Hela's arrival at Asgard and that we were just being shown both parts of the story to make it seem like they were happening simultaneously, but that doesn't work either because Thor communicates with Heimdall after Hela has already arrived and started causing a ruckus. The only way I can think that this makes any sense is that falling out of the bifrost early sent Loki back in time 2 weeks. Is there something obvious I'm just missing or forgetting here?

e: sorry, I see this was already being discussed, I skimmed but didn't catch it the first time, my apologies.

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Nov 21, 2017

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Once someone pointed out that Disney-Marvel makes sure to undercut any scene that might be possibly taken emotionally/dramatic/seriously with a quip/joke, these movies have been really hard to watch for me, and this was perhaps the worst (as it was billed as straight comedy, they didn't even bother with much pathos).

Which was kind of a shame - I wanted to emotionally connect, and this was the first Marvel movie with scenes that were actually gorgeous, but every time I was drawn in, someone *in* the movie didn't take anything seriously, so I was drawn out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Same and I generally love Waititi's stuff.

• Locked thread