Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:
I get the feeling that a new Skies of Arcadia would be one of those things where even if it happened and was good it wouldn't be what the people who wanted it wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

wateyad posted:

I get the feeling that a new Skies of Arcadia would be one of those things where even if it happened and was good it wouldn't be what the people who wanted it wanted.

I agree and I'm at peace with that. If it's in that world and reasonably good they can make it an ARPG or some awkward open-world thing or whatever.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

Does Sega still own the publishing rights to Skies of Arcadia? I know they recently put out some corporate statement expressing interest in resurrecting some of their old IPs.
There was a skies of Arcadia track in sonic racing transformed, and the staff of skies of Arcadia still works there. So probably

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Is Skies of Arcadia still good or is it mostly nostalgia talking?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It's pretty good but has a really high encounter rate, slightly lower in the GC version I believe.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

GrandpaPants posted:

Probably both. It was made by the Phantasy Star team so if you played Phantasy Star IV then you kind of have an idea of what's coming.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Is Skies of Arcadia the game with the weird dancing twins

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tired Moritz posted:

Is Skies of Arcadia the game with the weird dancing twins

That's Infinite Undiscovery.

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

GrandpaPants posted:

The encounter rate is too high and the battles are way too slow but it's still a really good game imo.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
skies of arcadia legends is good and pretty much the perfect way to experience it, they lowered the encounter rate a lot and kept the feature where holding a direction on the control stick lowers the encounter rate further, and they increased xp gain so having less encounters doesn't impact your progression

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

combat is pretty boring and it has a lot of what I'd call plot cul-de-sacs but being a jrpg pirate is fun and there's tons of effort put into character animation and cut scene direction to the point that it puts a lot of modern aaa games to shame

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Endorph posted:

and there's tons of effort put into character animation

for real

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcWVPtAxNdw&t=25s

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Overworks ended up doing the 3D Sakura Wars games and some other stuff like Shinobi & Nightshade and then got folded into the VC1 team.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

I tried to play it recently for the first time and it def has a bunch of good, interesting stuff but its also janky as hell. Just reducing the encounter rate, removing encounters when flying, and making fights faster would improve the game tenfold though

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

kirbysuperstar posted:

Overworks ended up doing the 3D Sakura Wars games and some other stuff like Shinobi & Nightshade and then got folded into the VC1 team.

It only struck me just now but VC has a bit of Sakura Wars DNA doesn’t it? Gameplay-wise, at least. It’ be cool to have a Sakura Wars game done with a VC system, though only if they left out the creepiness that haunts that series (which they probably wouldn’t do)

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'm not confident that it would be economical to make a faithful Skies of Arcadia sequel (spiritual successor, more likely), or at least not one that's good for the same reasons that Skies of Arcadia was good. Although that game was broad and varied, it was really complete in a way that few subsequent JRPGs have been; it had no obviously aborted content, weird pacing issues, or gratuitous asset reuse, and only a few sequences with really sparse scripting (thinking of going after the yellow gigas here). And it had a lot of text, but in an era when it was considered normal for there to be little to no voice acting. I'm not sure you could meet contemporary expectations about production values in a game of similar scale without much higher sales expectations than its pedigree would justify.

Just making the old one run in HD and putting it on something modern would satisfy me.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Crimson Skies of Arcadia

make it happen

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Roobanguy posted:

hate to break it to you, Haborym could be gotten in the Chaos path too in the PSX version, so there still was no reason to play Law. :v:

Law definitely needed a buff, but it's kinda silly how it's the only required playthrough if you wan't to do the post game CODAs.

Welp.

I don't think I've ever done a Chaos playthrough of LUCT.

wateyad posted:

SoA suffers severe nostalgia. The story is cool and it has some neat moments but all of your random encounters is using Alpha Storm(?) and some auto attacks as the combat system itself is kinda... there. Any Skies game, new or remake, needs some serious QoL work.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
For anyone wondering, Valkyria Chronicles 4 will have an English dub (don't know if that's in addition to the Japanese original).

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
My pipe dream for VC4 is that it tries to bring back multiplayer. Never really had a chance to do VC2 multiplayer but it seems like it could be a lot of fun.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Dunno if I’m ever going to find an outfit for Velvet I like more than her original villager clothes and braid + the cowboy hat.

I can pretend I’m playing Tales of Wild Arms.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Getsuya posted:

Dunno if I’m ever going to find an outfit for Velvet I like more than her original villager clothes and braid + the cowboy hat.

Add in sunglasses and that was my Velvet.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i'd like to wring the neck of whoever made it so skipping text in deus ex mankind divided skips multiple lines of dialogue, including from other characters

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The original Neverwinter Nights gets an enhanced re-release apparently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_exxVIpfA3s

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

honestly those graphics look like kind of a mild upgrade. though im sure the original was worse than i remember.

though 2/3s of nwn were boring as gently caress so i guess i can understand that they wouldn't put that much cash behind it

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Jack Trades posted:

I'm down. With a few lines of console codes and some portaits, I was having fun playing as my sorely mentally challenged yet charismatic Kobold Bard in the original. I miss when games had low int dialogue.

Though it did get a bit weird when she found the upper floors of the Moonstone Mask.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Nov 21, 2017

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Really wish more PS2 jrpgs had PS3/4 digital ports.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Getsuya posted:

i dressed up velvet as best i could to look like matoi ryuko

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

I was hoping it was an enhanced rerelease of the actual original Neverwinter Nights, not just the Bioware one.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

The White Dragon posted:

i dressed up velvet as best i could to look like matoi ryuko

I'm going through the whole game dressed in my filthy prison rags.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Jack Trades posted:

man those graphics - that UI in particularly - somehow transports me to a very specific time in my life

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah it's like the 2002iest game ever made

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hope nwn2 gets a re-release, something about it's engine makes it a pain to get running smoothly these days

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Endorph posted:

hope nwn2 gets a re-release, something about it's engine makes it a pain to get running smoothly these days

They don't call them Neverworking Nights for nothing.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Endorph posted:

i think it's cause nwn2 is from that golden era of games that don't properly support multicore cpus so it only utilizes one core and thus, unless you've got a good intel or something, runs like poop

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

gently caress me but I played a lot of NWN modules back in the day

A shame that NWN2 never really took off on that front, I remember Stephen Gagne having some very unpleasant words to say about the limitations of the builder

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Stexils posted:

honestly those graphics look like kind of a mild upgrade. though im sure the original was worse than i remember.

though 2/3s of nwn were boring as gently caress so i guess i can understand that they wouldn't put that much cash behind it

The base NWN game was one of the worst D&D games I played in the last 20 years (thought it wasn't as buggy as stuff like PoR2). Its saving grace was the toolkit it came with let people make good mods/campaigns and the expansions for NWN were much better.

IDK why this is getting an enhanced edition but maybe Beamdog isn't allowed to make BG3 yet. I guess this means we'll see a NWN2 enhanced edition though, which would be ok.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I would love NWN remake on Switch but I bet that's not happening

(that said, it also looks ugly as sin)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragonturtle
Feb 23, 2017

I don't even remember the baseline three NWN games beyond Deekin the kobold and something about magical lizard people from beyond space and time.