Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cythereal posted:

I know. Recognizing things intellectually has never been the problem, I've been hearing this from friends and family for a long time. But there is always a difference between what you know intellectually and what your heart and spirit feel. At times it's been a strength how well and naturally I divorce intellectual knowledge from how I feel, and at times a weakness.

I'll be seeing my family again this week for Thanksgiving, so hopefully that will help.

I just needed to vent a little, especially about how this felt coming from a sermon preaching from the pulpit.
Of course. Reminds me of the time one insensitive priest started saying some things about women who have small families. My mother has 2 children but not by choice, she had a hysterectomy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Cythereal posted:

I know. Recognizing things intellectually has never been the problem, I've been hearing this from friends and family for a long time. But there is always a difference between what you know intellectually and what your heart and spirit feel. At times it's been a strength how well and naturally I divorce intellectual knowledge from how I feel, and at times a weakness.

I'll be seeing my family again this week for Thanksgiving, so hopefully that will help.

I just needed to vent a little, especially about how this felt coming from a sermon preaching from the pulpit.

I've heard sermons to that effect before, but the message was more about being in the moment and clearing your mind of distractions like making grocery list in your head while pretending to listen.

I can see how it could be delivered insensitively. It needs to be couched in a way that doesn't insult people who aren't simply daydreaming.

I'm sorry the pastor was such a klutz. I hope you can find a place that is more uplifting for you. :(

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Peace and love be with you, Cythereal.

I'm curious to know: how do you think your day-to-day choices and long-term goals would change if you were certain God exists? How would they change if you were certain God does not?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Caufman posted:

Peace and love be with you, Cythereal.

I'm curious to know: how do you think your day-to-day choices and long-term goals would change if you were certain God exists? How would they change if you were certain God does not?

I think my perpetual anxiety and habit of thinking and worrying about the future would diminish. I crave purpose, structure, and order in my life. I do not want fame or wealth, I just want stability and knowing what I should be doing each day when I wake up. I don't know if my choices and goals would necessarily change, but I think things would seem less hopeless and uncertain.

If I was certain God did not exist, I would strongly consider suicide just to get it over and done with. Life by its own merits often does not make a compelling case for its value to me.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Strangely I have the opposite experience whereby atheism makes me completely certain of what to do because whatever I decide to do is as valid as anything else, it is impossible to make an invalid decision.

Whereas if I thought there was a god I would probably have some pause because I would have to try to factor that into what I decide to do and obviously they aren't known for their plain communication.

Hope you find a more productive preacher either way.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cythereal posted:

I think my perpetual anxiety and habit of thinking and worrying about the future would diminish. I crave purpose, structure, and order in my life. I do not want fame or wealth, I just want stability and knowing what I should be doing each day when I wake up. I don't know if my choices and goals would necessarily change, but I think things would seem less hopeless and uncertain.

If I was certain God did not exist, I would strongly consider suicide just to get it over and done with. Life by its own merits often does not make a compelling case for its value to me.
Honestly, I think that both these answers might be colored more by your depression than by the world. I hope that once you feel better, things outside you seem brighter as well.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I don't even know where to begin anymore on the question of the existence of God. As I become more conscious of the manifold ways I perceive God, I also begin to realize the important and manifold ways others must perceive God. And I will only better understand those unique relations to the ultimate meaning through engagement, with fewer and fewer presumptions.

I find myself with no better option than to make the connection that if God is love, then love is God. I go for broke on the idea that affection and compassion for the cosmos is the salvation of the cosmos. So the evidence for the existence of God that I search for and may plausibly find is in witnessing the efficacy of love. Is it meaningful, and worth living and dying for, as many amazing people have done in the past? I have to share my discoveries so far; the call and response to love has been both challenging and rewarding.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

OwlFancier posted:

Strangely I have the opposite experience whereby atheism makes me completely certain of what to do because whatever I decide to do is as valid as anything else, it is impossible to make an invalid decision.

Whereas if I thought there was a god I would probably have some pause because I would have to try to factor that into what I decide to do and obviously they aren't known for their plain communication.

Hope you find a more productive preacher either way.

To be, there has to be more than this material world. I have a bachelor's degree in history, I know full well that humanity is capable of extraordinary good, and extraordinary evil. Personally, I'm not convinced humanity sees more of the former than the latter. Much as I love history, and when I write (writing is my primary hobby, friends and family keep badgering me to try my hand at becoming a professional author) I prefer to be entranced by the wonder of science and technology rather than wish for a world of magic, the material world is simply insufficient for me. I have to believe there's some purpose behind it all.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Caufman posted:

I find myself with no better option than to make the connection that if God is love, then love is God. I go for broke on the idea that affection and compassion for the cosmos is the salvation of the cosmos. So the evidence for the existence of God that I search for and may plausibly find is in witnessing the efficacy of love. Is it meaningful, and worth living and dying for, as many amazing people have done in the past? I have to share my discoveries so far; the call and response to love has been both challenging and rewarding.

This is really well-put, thank you.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cythereal posted:

To be, there has to be more than this material world. I have a bachelor's degree in history, I know full well that humanity is capable of extraordinary good, and extraordinary evil. Personally, I'm not convinced humanity sees more of the former than the latter. Much as I love history, and when I write (writing is my primary hobby, friends and family keep badgering me to try my hand at becoming a professional author) I prefer to be entranced by the wonder of science and technology rather than wish for a world of magic, the material world is simply insufficient for me. I have to believe there's some purpose behind it all.

Conversely I've been unable to believe that for so long that I can't remember what it feels like to. It's something I guess that atrophies if you never use it. I can't say it really improves your general mental wellbeing though aside from making you a bit stoic which is useful sometimes if offputting in others.

In writing though I tend to prefer highly fantastical settings, makes a nice change. I can't read realistic books at all and even scifi I prefer to be on the "so advanced as to be magic" end. Also prefer either traditional heroic stories or lovecraftian tragedies, generally I need books to be either uplifting or cathartic. So perhaps we achieve the same emotional needs in different ways.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Nov 19, 2017

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

OwlFancier posted:

In writing though I tend to prefer highly fantastical settings, makes a nice change. I can't read realistic books at all and even scifi I prefer to be on the "so advanced as to be magic" end. Also prefer either traditional heroic stories or lovecraftian tragedies, generally I need books to be either uplifting or cathartic. So perhaps we achieve the same emotional needs in different ways.

My taste in fiction, especially when I'm writing trends towards the age of exploration and/or the dawn of the industrial age. I enjoy reading and writing about societies being convulsed by change, as magic and mysticism give way to science and technology, feudal systems of fealty and loyalty burn in the fires of nationalism, monarchies begin to give way to democracy and representation, and mass communication starts to take off through the printing press, the semaphore, and the telegraph. In harnessing electricity mankind steals the thunderbolt of the gods.

My interest in history has always been less any particular period than in the history of technology and information, and society's relationship with these two forces that we can't always control. I enjoy pointing to the printing press as possibly the single most significant invention in the history of the human race.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I like the printing press just fine, but surely the wheel would hold that title.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A refinement of sled really.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Cythereal posted:

I enjoy pointing to the printing press as possibly the single most significant invention in the history of the human race.

what a protestant

the most important thing in human history wasn't even an invention, it was the potato

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The Phlegmatist posted:

what a protestant

the most important thing in human history wasn't even an invention, it was the potato

If you want to go with agriculture, I think I'd pick wheat or rice as the most significant food crop adopted by mankind, not the potato.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

The Phlegmatist posted:

it was the potato
which explains the reaction the potato's been getting:

https://twitter.com/rabiasquared/status/925513523186339841

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/photoshopped-welcome-potato-pope-photo-827201

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Nov 20, 2017

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.
You are all forgetting perhaps the most consequential piece of technology ever to be introduced, the bashing rock.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

HEY GUNS posted:

anyway one of the few liturgically modern things i do is i don't fast, and i've already told y'all how that makes me feel

I must have missed the discussion regarding this. If you don't mind talking about it, I am curious why you don't fast.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
https://twitter.com/ebruenig/status/932443173389062146

Liz Bruenig always deletes her tweets so I'm quoting here posted:

nightcrawler and wolverine havin a theodicy chat in a monastery is extremely me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVdKq3AkfJ8

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Cythereal posted:

It's not often I walk out of a service halfway through, but this morning... I had to. Without getting too E/N, I've been suffering from severe depression for a while, and it's been growing worse - probably not helped by me becoming really good at rationalizing why I'm not going to church this morning. I finally went this morning, hoping for something uplifting and inspiring... and according to the pastor, it's apparently all my fault. My fault. I'm like Rahab in Malachi, only I haven't turned my life around because of God. If I'm not inspired by the service today, it's not because of the pastor, it's because of me. I came into church this morning wracked with despair and self hatred, and according to the sermon today that's why I didn't get anything out of the sermon.

I walked out of the service then and there, and sent a more detailed email to the church explaining.

Suffice it to say, I am never visiting that church again.

Hey, man.. If the sermon adressed the exact feeling you came in with, that's a net gain. I go to meetings and hear the stories exactly because I know I will hear someone tell me how I'm feeling and what to do about it.

You're suffering from a disease, and it's telling you you suck because you're not cured of it. It's not who you are. Hang in there.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Slimy Hog posted:

I must have missed the discussion regarding this. If you don't mind talking about it, I am curious why you don't fast.
After a few days I start feeling light-headed and shaky.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

IMO the most consequential technology in human history is a tossup between the telegraph and the bessemer furnace. Whole lot of historical empires might still be standing if they had had cheap steel or comms that could outrun a piece of paper.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

shame on an IGA posted:

IMO the most consequential technology in human history is a tossup between the telegraph and the bessemer furnace. Whole lot of historical empires might still be standing if they had had cheap steel or comms that could outrun a piece of paper.

I disagree, I think the printing press had far greater knock-on effects through the power of literacy, communications, and the revolution in information speed and flow it presented.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

-

pidan fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 13, 2018

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Cythereal posted:

I disagree, I think the printing press had far greater knock-on effects through the power of literacy, communications, and the revolution in information speed and flow it presented.

Ok you're right, that was so fundamentally transformational that I can not imagine the world previous.

E^ Movable type didn't have the same impact in the east that developed it first because of the non-phonetic alphabets. A full set of type for Chinese was something like 100,000 characters, for most things it ended up being faster to carve a woodblock for each page.

Korea had all the pieces for a printing revolution once Hangul was introduced but the nobility kept it under wraps and suppressed any non-official use of the technology until long after Gutenberg.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Nov 20, 2017

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
the Haber process

something like 70% of the nitrogen in our bodies (mostly in proteins) is derived from synthetically produced nitrogen fertilizer

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

-

pidan fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 13, 2018

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

shame on an IGA posted:

I can not imagine the world previous.
a world in which college students rent their textbooks by the quire, copy it themselves by hand, then send the originals back to the university

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

HEY GUNS posted:

Like, I hate it. I feel guilty. It's terrible. My priest said maybe I could eat fish instead, but I don't want to poison myself with heavy metals. Next Lent I'm going to try a very egg-heavy/protein-supplemented meatless-but-still-with-animal-products diet.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

HEY GUNS posted:

I'm somewhat vulnerable to low blood sugar so I wouldn't even make it two. :saddowns:

Pellisworth posted:

the Haber process

something like 70% of the nitrogen in our bodies (mostly in proteins) is derived from synthetically produced nitrogen fertilizer

:stare:

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i eat once a day every day, even when i work from two to midnight

as you might imagine i’m glad to not fast as a spiritual practice anymore because differentiating regular fasting from religious fasting is kinda hard

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Hey, I just ran across the anthropologist James Davies, who argues that according to Christian thought, suffering ultimately works to enrich human life. He doesn't go into a whole lot of detail in this article ("Positive and Negative Models of Suffering", in case you're curious) so his argument ends up being pretty vague. Is he correct?

Edit: For clarity, I'm not Christian and it's been ages since I read about religion.

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.
Ladies and Gentlemen, do you yet mourn the City of the World's Desire? Are you still thrilled by the glory that was Rome, all the more scintillating for having taken on Christian garb? Do you paint Europe purple in Paradox games painstakingly converted by hand? Or is it that you have become weary of TimeCube but long for the rush it once gave you? You miss the internet of twenty years ago, and the ringing of slapping blows exchanged over nonsense genealogies? Well, I have something that will appease you in all these ways, and still more. I give you NEW BYZANTIUM!

I cannot hope to present to you with a few words the delight that the Fourth Rome promises, but let this whet your appetites:

quote:

The expansion of the western European Christian peoples of the Latin Church achieved their maximum geographic outreach at the Pacific coast of northern California near San Francisco. Subsequently, the eastward expansion of the eastern European Christians of the Greek Church by means of Russian monks arrived at the same location. The meeting point of the move northward along the Pacific coastline by the Spanish and that of the Russians southward on the same coastline, essentially marked the termination of the expansion of Western Christian Civilization. San Francisco with its notable hills is reminiscent of both Rome and Constantinople (or Byzantium, or New Rome). Behold then, San Francisco, the NEW BYZANTIUM.

An imaginary line drawn from Constantinople along approximately 30 degrees longitude east to west traversing the North Pole, meets Kodiak, Alaska where the Russian monks founded their first mission on American soil. Their subsequent southward expansion likewise brought them to their maximum outreach at approximately the 40th parallel. This was directly across the Earth from Constantinople on firm land -- on the coastline of California in the vicinity of San Francisco. Once again the Orient meets the West. Behold, NEW BYZANTIUM (see also: Hse.ofWrshp.htm Alcatraz Island, San Francisco).

quote:

Is AMERICA
the . . .
NEW BYZANTIUM?

5th Century Byzantine Church in Connecticut!
1,000 years before 1492!

"In the stillness of Cockaponset State Forest, southern Connecticut, near the town of Guilford, masterfully carved from solid rock, stands North America’s oldest Christian church. Recent epigraphic evidence found here suggests that it is 1500 years old, and linked to a voyage of Christian Byzantine monks who fled from North Africa during the 5th Century, in the wake of the Vandal invasions. Greek and North African inscriptions, Greek cupule patterns in the form of Chrismons (monograms of Christ), baptismal fonts, a cathedra or throne, candelabras and an altar have been found at the site."

quote:

DECLARATORY INTRODUCTION
ON PROS AND CONS
OF THE
LASCARIS COMNENUS

By: Dr. Theodore Lascaris Comnenus. Valencia, Venezuela, January 1, 1997.
Prior to the Spanish Civil War of 1936, a PRO-LASCARIS Committee established in Madrid advanced the candidacy of my father, Prince Eugene Lascaris, for the Crowns of Greece and Cyprus, particularly in the years 1923 and 1935.

In the post-World War II period, in 1946, he gave international character to the Greek-Byzantine Institution of the Sovereign (i.e., Independent) Order of Constantine the Great with its feminine branch of Saint Helen; and beginning in 1948, the Review PARTHENON was published -- an organ of the "Greek-Spanish Cultural Association" with its seat in Madrid.

In 1950, as a cultural extension of the Order, my father founded the "Philo -Byzantine Academy and University Magistrorum."

In 1953 in Madrid was created the institute and magazine CONTRA-LASCARIS presided by an ex-Falangist and ex-carlosoctavista named "Le petit Goebles," and his "ad-latere" an author, who through a publication "Hidalguía" presented themselves as implacable adversaries of Prince Eugene, of our Family, and of our Institutions. Such a person wished to bring honor to his name by linking up with us who unfortunately are not sectarian integristas.

Rodríguez Maseda affirms that fanatics in their ignorance border on IDIOCY, being capable of the most incredible doings in word and in deed.

Those mentioned pertained to a group that in the fifties and sixties was led by a politico and his ministers, members of the sect integrista nocedaliana, protected by the totalitarian STATE.

The CONTRA-LASCARIS stem since '53 to date, developing a campaign based on contemptuous insults, denigration and attacks on prestige. With ample financial support, they are dedicated to sending letters and pamphlets everywhere using their "executioners."

While the Lascaris Comnenus Institutions promote "Human Rights" and the "Declaration of Rights of the United Nations," of the OAS and of UNESCO, in favor of understanding, of the comprehension of fraternity, the integristas nocedalianos CONTRAS are enemies of the truth, of reason, and of liberty, by submitting to fanatical obscurantism, isolated from all logic.

As so wisely articulates the top advisor of President Clinton, George Stephanopoulos, when personal attacks are launched, it is a deliberate strategy intended not to debate the real problems. Which in our case is the defense of Human Rights, the freedom of expression and union, as opposed to obscurantism.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

The massive increase in human population starting in the 20th century is largely attributable to the Haber process and synthetic fertilizers.

I think it's one of the few huge leaps in our technology but it's extremely underrated.

HEY GUNS posted:

Like, I hate it. I feel guilty. It's terrible. My priest said maybe I could eat fish instead, but I don't want to poison myself with heavy metals. Next Lent I'm going to try a very egg-heavy/protein-supplemented meatless-but-still-with-animal-products diet.

You can eat a can of tuna a day year-round and you're still fine.

Or just eat fish lower down on the food chain. The problem with tuna is they're at the very top of the food chain, so they concentrate mercury and heavy metals through bioaccumulation. Eat boring poo poo like tilapia.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Nov 21, 2017

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Reading that on mobile should count as mortification.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

HEY GUNS posted:

a fun quirk of human physiology is that there's a big difference between eating little food and eating no food at all

assuming you're metabolically healthy, you'll feel like you can smash boulders with your butthole by day 4 of a water-only fast; this may not be useful for the purposes of mortification

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

The Phlegmatist posted:

a fun quirk of human physiology is that there's a big difference between eating little food and eating no food at all

assuming you're metabolically healthy, you'll feel like you can smash boulders with your butthole by day 4 of a water-only fast; this may not be useful for the purposes of mortification

Christianity Thread 3: Smash Boulders With Your Butthole

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Christianity Thread 3: Smash Boulders With Your Butthole

A novel interpretation of the passage about faith moving mountains.

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.

Siivola posted:

Hey, I just ran across the anthropologist James Davies, who argues that according to Christian thought, suffering ultimately works to enrich human life. He doesn't go into a whole lot of detail in this article ("Positive and Negative Models of Suffering", in case you're curious) so his argument ends up being pretty vague. Is he correct?

Edit: For clarity, I'm not Christian and it's been ages since I read about religion.

Responding quickly, I think it goes too far to say that Christian thought presumes that suffering always enriches human life. Stubbing your toe on the kitchen table because you haven't had your first cup of coffee yet has, I'm pretty sure, no spiritual value. Christianity does revolutionize ancient thought by really putting a positive valence on suffering for the Truth, though there are Hellenistic Jewish precursors to this, but far less extreme. Remember than in the Greco-Roman world, suffering is inherently shameful. It's good to be active, the one who makes suffer rather than the victim. Dying in the area isn't just an entertaining way to see one's enemies off, it's also utterly humiliating for the subjected party. Christianity turns this around via the standard Pauline dialectic - suffering for God is stronger than the force of man, hence why martyrs don't bend in the face of torments that would break anyone else. In a way, it has less to do with the character of suffering itself than with how it is used - the word martyros literally translates as "witness." Suffering for the sake of God is valued, but other suffering isn't. Though in a less extreme way, the notion of martyrdom applies itself to other kinds of suffering too - affliction can be used profitably if it translates itself into a rememberance of the transitory nature of things of this world and the eternity of the next.

And, because you might ask, yes, but Socrates... well, Socrates dies for his Truth, yes, but he doesn't suffer, there's no spectacle. That's a key difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Numerical Anxiety posted:

Responding quickly, I think it goes too far to say that Christian thought presumes that suffering always enriches human life. Stubbing your toe on the kitchen table because you haven't had your first cup of coffee yet has, I'm pretty sure, no spiritual value. Christianity does revolutionize ancient thought by really putting a positive valence on suffering for the Truth, though there are Hellenistic Jewish precursors to this, but far less extreme. Remember than in the Greco-Roman world, suffering is inherently shameful. It's good to be active, the one who makes suffer rather than the victim. Dying in the area isn't just an entertaining way to see one's enemies off, it's also utterly humiliating for the subjected party. Christianity turns this around via the standard Pauline dialectic - suffering for God is stronger than the force of man, hence why martyrs don't bend in the face of torments that would break anyone else. In a way, it has less to do with the character of suffering itself than with how it is used - the word martyros literally translates as "witness." Suffering for the sake of God is valued, but other suffering isn't. Though in a less extreme way, the notion of martyrdom applies itself to other kinds of suffering too - affliction can be used profitably if it translates itself into a rememberance of the transitory nature of things of this world and the eternity of the next.

And, because you might ask, yes, but Socrates... well, Socrates dies for his Truth, yes, but he doesn't suffer, there's no spectacle. That's a key difference.

I personally believe that how we react to stubbing our toe in a situation like that can have spiritual value.

• Locked thread