Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Next JL movies is going to secretly be Injustice and give us evil Superman killing everyone. Movie ends with the good JL (new cast) coming over to to save the day then we go back to their universe where the movies will now be based from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Barry Convex posted:

There is literally zero chance that WB will want Snyder involved with a DC superhero film again, so we'll get better films like Wonder Woman and the the inane arguments we've been having for four and a half years now should just die down over time.

It's very weird to want more movies with very little to discuss about them on a movie discussion forum.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

jng2058 posted:

Yeah, don't get your hopes up on that score. "Comic book movie" has turned out to be a pretty inclusive category. Compare Guardians of the Galaxy (science fiction action/comedy), Captain America Winter Soldier (spy film), Ant-Man (heist film), Logan (mutant western), and Deadpool (R-rated violent comedy), all of which are "comic book movies" but none of them are tonally similar to each other or to mainline comic book movies like The Avengers. The ability of comic book characters to adapt into different genres by simply adding "...but with superheroes" makes the whole thing a lot less likely to crash out quickly or at once.

those movies are all extremely similar and barely take on the surface elements of the genres they're apparently adapting

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

BiggerBoat posted:

Yeah...something about that movie, man. I guess to its credit it DOES spark intense debate, so that's something. It doesn't make it good but even I agree it's worthy of discussion and was at least interesting. Gummo was interesting but I'm not sure I'd say it was great.

JL looks to be about what the trailers suggested it would be and I can't say I'm surprised. I'm really interested to see where DC goes next to be honest, because I have no loving idea what I might try if I were in charge. I know we're getting Aquaman, Flash, WW2 and Shazam but I'm not sure what I'd DO with those properties to try and make sense of this mess.

Maybe do what the comics do and have Flash or someone just do a hard reset.

The key would be to let each director bring a distinct vision to each character and don't worry about whether or not they all exist in the same world or whatever. I've decided writing movies with a meta-arc and final crossover in mind creates too much padding and blandification.

ElNarez posted:

Wonder Woman was just fine, and it's still baffling to me that people don't hate it the way they do Man of Steel, considering it's a movie in which Wonder Woman is all too eager to kill a dude who, turns out, wasn't even Ares.

He was like, a nazi though, or whatever.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
next on the DC docket is an Aquaman movie by the guy who directed the opening hospital sequence in Furious 7, and, unless WB decide they need to gently caress James Wan over too, that should be dope

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
Just catching up on the last few pages, and basically everything Blazing Ownager says is spot on. And even if you disagree, watching him work everyone into a state of frenzy, not by trolling, but by simply stating his opinion and backing it up, is top quality entertainment. He's a better Lex Luthor than Lex Luthor was.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Barry Convex posted:

There is literally zero chance that WB will want Snyder involved with a DC superhero film again, so we'll get better films like Wonder Woman and the the inane arguments we've been having for four and a half years now should just die down over time.

Yes, then we can have a good forum like Blockbuster Video!!!!

The Finer Arts › Blockbuster Video (2 users browsing)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

ElNarez posted:

next on the DC docket is an Aquaman movie by the guy who directed the opening hospital sequence in Furious 7, and, unless WB decide they need to gently caress James Wan over too, that should be dope

If Aquaman is half as fun as any of the later Fast and Furious movies, it’ll be good.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CityMidnightJunky posted:

Just catching up on the last few pages, and basically everything Blazing Ownager says is spot on. And even if you disagree, watching him work everyone into a state of frenzy, not by trolling, but by simply stating his opinion and backing it up, is top quality entertainment. He's a better Lex Luthor than Lex Luthor was.

my favourite is the guy who went from calling him a "simp" to telling him he was 'dumb as gently caress', then finally just drops all pretense of having a discussion and calls the guy a 'loving loser' all the while trying to maintain this pathetic veneer of a scholarly film critic..... while defending a comic book movie.

I lost count but the levels of irony were visually stunning which completely made up for the lack of plot.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

ElNarez posted:

Wonder Woman was just fine, and it's still baffling to me that people don't hate it the way they do Man of Steel, considering it's a movie in which Wonder Woman is all too eager to kill a dude who, turns out, wasn't even Ares.

Wonder Woman is a weird alt-timeline Man of Steel in which the superhero does veer off course from their overarching mission to save a handful of people, and then those people get killed anyway by the big threat that the hero hadn't stopped yet.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
whedon taking over on JL is very good because it changes the hard task of "actually JL is good" to the much easier task of "this theoretical version would have been good"

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

mate he ran back to gbs to complain the movie thread people won't agree with his sage deduction that the movie "just sucks", you might agree with him but you're gonna have to work harder than that if you want to convince us that he's a master troll playing the thread like a fiddle

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Davros1 posted:

Not as long as someone says "You know, I didn't really care for MoS/BvS"

So hey Davros1, how come when a bunch of CD posters took you up on your dumb challenge to "say something you didn't like about MoS/BvS" you didn't engage with any of them and instead came into this thread to repeat the same stupid meme?

Is your gimmick a shitposting version of the guy from Memento or something??

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Nothing erodes the GBS fiction that they are all Cool Guys Online more effectively than intra-forum tattling.

(for the record, there's nothing wrong with having feelings about things online and not being cool, I do it all the time)

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
I always forget about the liquid geo tentacles Superman fights in Man of Steel. World Engine has some weird defense systems.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

SleepCousinDeath posted:

I always forget about the liquid geo tentacles Superman fights in Man of Steel. World Engine has some weird defense systems.

It's a total waste of time and should have been cut.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
A lot of the strum and drang about Superman's characterization is that he doesn't have that cheesy moment right before the big battle (or does he in JL I'm not seeing that poo poo until it's on home video?) where he gets the little girl's cat out of the tree and ruffles her hair and winks at the camera and says, "Never too busy to help out our loyal feline friends!" and flies off.

Which yeah I get it. I mean, Superman is Your Dad. Batman is Your Somewhat Distant Bad Dad and Spiderman is Your Bro (or You) but Superman is the Dadest of all superheroes. And you want your dad to care. And that's kind of the characterization in the cheesy, pretty good Donner Superman movies and the cheesy, somewhat bad Superman 90s Cartoon (those two are where, I suspect, the vast majority of even fairly nerdy guys are getting their Superman).

But I think the big insight of Man of Steel is that a 35 year old Superman would have grown up not in 1950s small town Kansas but in 1980s small town Kansas. And that right there is kinda all you need to know. Like yeah the 70s were skeptical and sophisticated or whatever but things hadn't completely fallen over into, "the government paid crisis actors to stage a school shooting to take away your guns." That's the full blown schizotypal center-cannot-hold hyper cynicism of the 2010s. It's such a wildly different cultural context--if Superman is flying around and ruffling our hair do we really buy it now? In 2017 Alex Jones is saying Superman is a New World Order government cyborg and an agent of Satan or whatever. That's the world the Cavill Superman operates in and I think it's way more apropos.

porfiria fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Nov 20, 2017

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I can imagine some higher-up being like, "Well, Superman's gotta fight something BIG!"

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
It was cool.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

SleepCousinDeath posted:

I can imagine some higher-up being like, "Well, Superman's gotta fight something BIG!"

Perhaps...a giant spider...

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Blazing’s stance is merely that there wasn’t enough exposition to know, objectively, what happened in the plot.

Specifically, he was unable to objectively know what fictional character Lex Luthor character was thinking - even though the entire film, beginning to end, depicts Lex Luthor’s actions. That’s three hours of characterization for this specific character.

In this sense, he is correct: he will never know what objectively took place inside Luthor’s mind, because Luthor is a fictional character and does not actually have a mind. The problem is that complaint about this fact means Blazing is illiterate. Like, in a very straightforward way, Blazing failed to produce film criticism because he does not fully understand that he is watching a movie.

If that is your priority, then this being bad at writing will come across as a success. Failure to write about a movie in the movie forum is easily rationalized using sour grapes logic: “I never actually wanted to communicate anything with these dozens upon dozens of paragraphs.”

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Regarding Superman is Your Nice Dad, I just want to remind everyone that BvS's Superman wants to be your Nice Dad, it's just the world won't let him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RynVyFzcis

The ending shot of the montage when we realize that Superman has been hearing all these reactions and calls his mom up to complain that he "just wishes it were simpler" is the film telling you, the audience, that it sympathizes with your Dad Superman viewpoint. It just doesn't share it.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Nov 20, 2017

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

porfiria posted:

Snyder was involved in WW heh heh.

I know he had a story and EP credit (and obviously introduced this incarnation of the character in BvS), but there's little to indicate that he had much creative involvement in the actual production or post-production of the film.

ElNarez posted:

A superhero being willing to kill isn't really the main problem people have with Zod's death in MoS, but this has been argued to death a million times so I'll refrain from getting into it.

WW's main problem with Ares is that the third act makes a complete and total muddle of whatever themes the film was going for. But hey, I said it was better than the rest of the DCEU, not that it was perfect.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Very yes. Action fatigue galore. The focus should have been Superman against Zod but by that point, you're exhausted from that dumb fight. Only part I outright dislike from the film. Except the part he flights up through the beam, that part was fantastic.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Jutsuka posted:

You seem very insecure and defensive about others finding meaning in, and drawing enjoyment from, films you don't like.
this 1000x

Serf posted:

they should make a We3 movie, but like, do it right. just go all-in on an r-rating.
that would be a hell of a tear-jerker. homeward bound by way of winding refn
I'm just down for them adapting more grant morrison and warren ellis and less garth ennis and frank miller and marc millar (unless it's the one good non-edgy thing he did, Huck)

also maybe it'd get Warren Ellis to stop trying to be a novelist. There are plots that work at the level of "comic book writer" that don't exactly transition well into the medium of literature. like, Gun Machine just read like trash, but I'm sure it'd make an o-kay comic book.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I'm just down for them adapting more grant morrison and warren ellis and less garth ennis and frank miller and marc millar (unless it's the one good non-edgy thing he did, Huck)

This except not so much Warren Ellis.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Jimbot posted:

Very yes. Action fatigue galore. The focus should have been Superman against Zod but by that point, you're exhausted from that dumb fight. Only part I outright dislike from the film. Except the part he flights up through the beam, that part was fantastic.

It wasn't even that long, and pretty much served to get him cast down beneath the machine so he could do the beam thing!

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

This except not so much Warren Ellis.
I'd love to see a world where HBO had the licenses and capability to do a Planetary miniseries
and get Johnny Depp to do his Hunter Thompson for Transmetropolitan and that movie's halfway done. I didn't mind The Rum Diaries

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Jimbot posted:

The beam part should have been kept, because it's a highlight of superhero cinema. The part where Superman flies around and the ugly visually chaotic tentacles snap at him? Not so much.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Superman should fight a giant monster, and a swarm of smaller monsters, and a team of individually-a-bit-weaker guys, and a

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Terrible ideas.

Just needed a giant loving spider. The fiercest killers in the insect kingdom, them.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Ferrinus posted:

Superman should fight a giant monster, and a swarm of smaller monsters, and a team of individually-a-bit-weaker guys, and a

Agreed, but not back-to-back unless it's some kind of Superman version of The Raid.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

An adaptation of "The Black Glove" with Kenneth Branagh as Batman.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

josh04 posted:

An adaptation of "The Black Glove" with Kenneth Branagh as Batman.

Kenneth Branagh would be a fuckin' sweet Dr. Hurt.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Regarding Superman is Your Nice Dad, I just want to remind everyone that BvS's Superman wants to be your Nice Dad, it's just the world won't let him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RynVyFzcis

The ending shot of the montage when we realize that Superman has been hearing all these reactions and calls his mom up to complain that he "just wishes it were simpler" is the film telling you, the audience, that it sympathizes with your Dad Superman viewpoint. It just doesn't share it.
There’s also the bit where Clark is watching all the news clips and eventually shuts off the TV in frustration and sighs. I think it’s just after the “maybe he’s just a guy trying to do the right thing” piece.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

ElNarez posted:

Should have given Zod a German accent.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Where Cavill wants to go next with Superman

https://iearths.blogspot.ca/2017/11/henry-cavill-on-whats-next-for-superman.html

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

For fucks sake people just do Brainiac, it's not hard.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Al Borland Corp. posted:

For fucks sake people just do Brainiac, it's not hard.

Braniac is wayyyy overdue holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Of all the things to take issue with in MoS, I thought the finale was maybe the part of the movie that most worked.

It's Pa Kent becoming One with the Tornado and everything surrounding that payoff that was muddled at best. People mostly complained that Superman hasn't been about fun and escapism, he's been through excruciating personal journeys with ambiguously positive outcomes.

• Locked thread