Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

DapperDon posted:

Whyyyyy are Germans all hosed up this way?

Because they haven't got any wars to fight and they are sick of seeing the Americans having all the fun, so they GAME.

E: taxxe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
CIG has spent more money on their offices than they have on actual game development

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

SomethingJones posted:

Certainly seems that way. It'll be weird and sad to see what happens to the thread over the next few months.

They have 68 vacancies on their website, they've been throwing up job ads on Glassdoor and Indeed.co.uk like crazy over the last few weeks, THEY CANNOT HIRE FOR poo poo and it's completely obvious

Look at this - this is a single job listing for multiple roles, all posted today (Nov 20):
http://www.cgmeetup.net/home/jobs/cloud-imperium-game-recruiting-multiple-opening-59/

Senior Producer – Marketing
• Support the VP, Marketing on the coordination and execution of all global marketing initiatives.

Lead Character Technical Artist
• Work in a team along with the Technical Director of Content, Character Art Director, Lead Technical Artist and Animators to ensure quality and performance are met across all character assets and their development processes

Gameplay Engineer – Service & Backend

Character Artist

Technical Designer

Network Programmer

Graphic Designer

And then there's this, posted on Oct 27:
http://www.develop-online.net/interview/recruiter-hot-seat-cloud-imperium-games/0212944

Recruiter Hot Seat: Cloud Imperium Games

How many staff are you looking to take on?

The numbers will increase with the demands of the project, but currently we’re looking to hire upwards of 60 staff across multiple departments in our four international studios of Los Angeles (USA), Austin (USA), Manchester (UK) and Frankfurt (Germany). Some positions are not studio specific although others are; so if anyone is interested they should check out our website for further details.

If anyone who hasn’t done any research on the project then this always comes across the worst. Especially when we are so transparent in our development and have so much information readily available online. After those, people usually fall down due to poor punctuality, bad communication skills or a lack of confidence.

They threw up the animator vacancies on VFXexpress on November 1st:
http://vfxexpress.com/node/61

Senior Animator
Frankfurt, DE

Animator:
Frankfurt, DE

Lead Animator:
Frankfurt, DE

Senior Animator: Manchester, UK

Animator Manchester, UK

Motion Editor: Manchester, UK

Lead Animator: Manchester, UK

Facial Animator: Derby, UK

They can't even hire audio guys despite having vacancies listed for the entirety of 2017 - this is CRAZY. As well as advertising for audio people in the usual audio job sites look how completely desperate they are (posted Oct 13):
https://twitter.com/BroadcastBrazil/status/918895424609636352

And finally you can see the amount of vacancies that appeared literally in the last few weeks (some in the last few days) on JobsNeo:
http://www.jobsneo.com/cloud-imperium-games-jobs

I can only speak for myself but I see a lot of people walking away from this project - both devs and backers. This is evidenced by:
- the funding chart
- the refunds sub
- posts on Spectrum & SC subreddit
- the state of production, ie what they are putting out to Evocati
- the increase in job vacancies on CIG's website
- the increase in job listings sites being used by CIG
- the increase in recruitment sites being used by CIG

They're sunk.
anyone with any real loving experience, smarts or talent is staying the gently caress away

also a p good post

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

The Titanic posted:

I’m fairly sure we’re approaching the “buy your land on this planet!” And house building or apartment rentals on planet(s?) to cash in on the lingering money there.

This. Once people start to get bored of ships ( or they run out of "exciting" jpegs they could think of ), they'll shift towards other things they can sell. Housing is the next logical step.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

TheAgent posted:

also a p good post

Thanks, I haven't made one in a long loving time...

In all seriousness I'd love to hear MoMA's take on everything right now, or any backer for that matter. I wish they'd come post.

Backers are leaving and getting refunds, staff are leaving and CIG can't fill the vacancies, the funding is going down - there's no other way to say it or interpret it, it's clear and straightforward. You can draw a straight line through everything CIG have produced and said and failed at over the last 2 years to arrive at this point. It was inevitable and predictable and here it is right now. No surprise, no drama. Just another failed kickstarter that very few people outside of a shrinking subreddit give any fucks about.

That senior marketing role not being filled says a lot about Sandi, and the way the job description is written says even more about her. That's another job you wouldn't be able to do because of the incompetence and inexperience directly above you.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
nah everything is fine, I'm sure Chris Roberts will produce an amazing game within the next 18 to 24 months

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
I joked about applying before but I'm actually overqualified for the marketing position (minus video game industry); the masochist in me wants to go deep cover and take part in the profiting off of these idiot backers

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Omniblivion posted:

I joked about applying before but I'm actually overqualified for the marketing position (minus video game industry); the masochist in me wants to go deep cover and take part in the profiting off of these idiot backers

Read the posting, you would be Sandi's whipping boy.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Omniblivion posted:

Not sure this is a good idea, friend. Don’t do something silly for lols. :)

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

SCtrumpHaters posted:

Seriously, at this point you're just someone they pay to yell at.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

SCtrumpHaters posted:

Sandi is more into tickling than whipping.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

SomethingJones posted:

They've cranked up the client number which tells me they have scrapped the plan to rebuild the networking - because it worked, look, there's 32 players in Olisar so clearly we don't need to rebuild it. Next thing is a network guy leaves. Hmmm.

Well per Reddit it's "mission accomplished". Network guy made 32 guys play seamlessly, with no lag, in high fidelity, at an industry staggering 25 fps (higher fps than any big budget movie currently out). There is nothing left for him to do, he's just dead weight at this point. Why keep him on the payroll? Croberts just pushed him out: "thanks for all your work but you're not needed anymore". Now they can simply move into the polishing stage.

In summary, I don't think you understanding network development.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

I never thought I would be glad that I spent the early 90's poking holes in the ocean without access to computers.

Missing out on the rise of Chris Roberts makes it a little more worth it. Because he is not very good at what he is 'famous' for.

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012

The Titanic posted:

Not sure this is a good idea, friend. Don’t do something silly for lols. :)

It would indeed be hilarious but not worth losing a full digit

The ironic part is that CIG is not beyond saving if they had actual management in place; instead of whatever bullshit CR and Sandi do.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I've been busy and so checking in here less often. Somewhere in October around CitCon I fell hopelessly behind on the thread. I tried to just keep reading along because it turns out that the thread is equally entertaining when it's weeks old as when it's fresh because it turns out that SC is unmoored in time and nothing ever changes even though things might seem to be perturbed here and there.

But ya'll have been posting nonstop and despite my best efforts, the unread count has only grown as I tried to keep up. So I declared bankruptcy on 6400 posts and am back with you here in the present ready for all the freshest SC memes.

in conclusion:
MOONS

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

A Neurotic Corncob posted:

a cargo/trading "gameplay loop" is featured in whatever this segment is now: https://youtu.be/rbC1OmEB-nE?t=4m

I'm pretty sure that's the first gameplay revealed we've seen in years. It's definitely more than one year, but I might be even more than that.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Golli posted:

I never thought I would be glad that I spent the early 90's poking holes in the ocean without access to computers.

Missing out on the rise of Chris Roberts makes it a little more worth it. Because he is not very good at what he is 'famous' for.

so you have taken the goon 'gently caress the ocean' meme literally

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Starts off slow and achieves full burn by the end lmao.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

TheAgent posted:

nah everything is fine, I'm sure Chris Roberts will produce an amazing game within the next 18 to 24 months

Checking into this thread after some months and oh, The Agent is still here and I read your post and was wondering, what "amazing game" you are refering to? Is Crobbers already "producing" another game?
:thunk:

Edit another "game"

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

Mr.PayDay posted:

Checking into this thread after some months and oh, The Agent is still here and I read your post and was wondering, what "amazing game" you are refering to? Is Crobbers already "producing" another game?
:thunk:

Edit another "game"

Agent is supposed to be making Love Pledge, afaik.
But we've yet to see an alpha.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Golli posted:

I mean I played Wing Commander and I had friends who played Wing Commander and I do not remember anyone being all that crazy about it.

X-Com, Mech Warrior 2, Doom? Those are the PC games my friends were going insane over. Doom had every boy with a PC going nuts. The one kid would tell stories about deathmatches at his dad's work, we'd all go mental. He worked in a big hospital and we were all hyped as poo poo about the idea of LANing.

Wing Commander was "good".

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

ewe2 posted:

:eyepop:

Seriously, for any developer that comes across this and thinks it will be 'prestigious' to work on this poo poo - how much do you think that'll be the case if anything about CIG's finances reaches the spotlight and their nonstop lies finally get fully exposed in the press once all of this inevitably kicks the bucket? I mean sure, in the short term you get to pretend you were part of a 'one-of-a-kind' experiment, but in the long term I guarantee you that your CV will forever have you being a part of something that will turn out to be grossly unethical. No matter how much mushmouth Crobblers' excuse might be that he just wants to chase "DREAMS" it doesn't even remotely excuse them selling tech demo space .jpegs that do not and likely never will function for HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS while also NOT ALLOWING REFUNDS NOW!

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Nov 21, 2017

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

ewe2 posted:

You can literally feel the frustration this person is trying hard to stave off to try to be as moderate and fair and professional as they can be. If real, the frustration is prevalent. This is a difficult position for a tech company to recover from without huge reorganizations starting at the top. This is where a board would step in and get a new CEO, etc.

Good thing there’s no board or oversight committee to stop the train. :allears:

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

CrazyLoon posted:

NOT ALLOWING REFUNDS NOW!

Refunds are going through atm. It looks like they injected a bunch of air into the pipes around citcon.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

CrazyLoon posted:

Seriously, for any developer that comes across this and thinks it will be 'prestigious' to work on this poo poo - how much do you think that'll be the case if anything about CIG's finances reaches the spotlight and their nonstop lies finally get fully exposed in the press once all of this inevitably kicks the bucket? I mean sure, in the short term you get to pretend you were part of a 'one-of-a-kind' experiment, but in the long term I guarantee you that your CV will forever have you being a part of something that will turn out to be grossly unethical.
The pessimist in me tells me that companies currently trying to grind down the resistance of players to their p2w cash shops are not going to be especially repelled by someone who was willing to keep their mouth shut during a years long scam.

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

WOOOOOSH

engaging retrograde nipples!

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

That's a lot politer gently caress YOU to Gremlich than he deserved.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Spiderdrake posted:

I mean I played Wing Commander and I had friends who played Wing Commander and I do not remember anyone being all that crazy about it.

X-Com, Mech Warrior 2, Doom? Those are the PC games my friends were going insane over. Doom had every boy with a PC going nuts. The one kid would tell stories about deathmatches at his dad's work, we'd all go mental. He worked in a big hospital and we were all hyped as poo poo about the idea of LANing.

Wing Commander was "good".

The first game I recall that promised a realistic experience was 688 Attack Sub.

I will say that it lived up to its promise - it was realistic (to the extent possible due to classification restrictions). Time-consuming and realistically difficult, punctuated with brief moments of excitement.

That's when I decided that 'realism' is not something that I wanted in a game. Which is why I can't understand why star citizen fans have such a hard-on for it.

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/citizens/16267-This-Week-In-Star-Citizen

quote:

Thursday - due to the U.S. holiday, there will be no featurette but Chris and Sandi will have a special message to everyone and Eric Keiron Davis will give us the latest numbers from “Burndown.”

a special message! :prepop:

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Dusty Lens posted:

Refunds are going through atm. It looks like they injected a bunch of air into the pipes around citcon.

Welp then, Goredema get it while you still can! You too, Raskolnikov lol...

:getarefund:

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'm pretty sure that's the first gameplay revealed we've seen in years. It's definitely more than one year, but I might be even more than that.

They just Elite Dangerous(ed) the whole process, only difference is that in Elite, you can do it remotely :smuggo:

What happened to the hover crates, Having friends move your cargo to / fro your ship? Where's my immersion?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

That's code for everyone else is stuck in the salt mines while Chris and Sandi fly off to (insert 1st class ticket to anywhere)

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Looks great, can't wait to buy into Star Citizen again.

The gameloop is ridiculously broken. There are way too many loopholes, because SC is FPS primarily. Whats stopping another player from taking out your rear end or jumpin in your ship's toilet waiting to grief the poo poo out of you, when you simply need to take a piss.

Players would have to turn off the ship -> open door -> close door to bridge / lock it -> open cargo bay -> close cargo bay / lock -> check perimeter -> open cargo bay -> take stuff -> get griefed.

This is going to be glorious if it ever releases.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

What this thread needs is Bootcha's expose.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

TheAgent posted:

Jesus, much like the Queen, doesn't poo poo or has ever shat

if i had the money to burn i would commission an oil painting of jesus and the queen making GBS threads in each others assholes

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
I know what I'll be doing in Star Citizen.

Planting a C4 charge in every plebs ship who forgets to close their cargo bay door while doing trade. And blowing them up to smithereens while waving from the docking pad.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Percelus posted:

if i had the money to burn i would commission an oil painting of jesus and the queen making GBS threads in each others assholes

And not a "certified millionaire" portrait? You have strange tastes

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Hey you Star Citizen reading this thread.

Get a refund.

Otherwise, you'd find goons hidden in your space toilets, everytime you land, or graffiti in your constellations. We'll be stealing your torpedos and missiles.

Don't want a refund? Better request CIG to develop some kind of ship security feature (eta 2 weeks), like in ship turrets and DNA scanners. You'll never know where we are and what we're capable of.

Also, get a refund.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Hello space friends, just checking in to let you know that there are quite a few Black Friday game sales going on early. Be sure to swing by GamersGate, Humble Bundle and probably GOG. Not sure what space games are on sale, but I know there's at least a few good deals at GG right now.