Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
lets talk about making procgen indies that sell themselves as being procgen versions of beloved classics, and then end up being clones of beloved classics with pretty interesting takes on game mechanics that also don't work at all because they're clones of games that worked with the help of good level design and removing that level design from the equation just makes it a forgettable mess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the best of the recent generation of procgen junk that I've played is Sublevel Zero, the procgen roguelike Descent clone. Descent level design was nonsense to start with so this works just fine

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

an actual dog posted:

Why would you make a game like this?

Like I can see making a infinite mode for the really hardcore folks but I think the other 95% of your audience would prefer something paced well and consistently interesting.

People like dailies and procgen way more than just like, an arcade game. I think Nex Machina is a good recent example of an indie game that just made a 40 minute game and nobody bought it

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I think the best design model, if you have a game where you want to tell a story or have an experience with an endpoint, is make that as concise and dense and rich as possible with no filler. Then, if your gameplay is good enough that people would want to keep playing, you can have your postgame with the more repetitive or even endless content that people can play until they have their fill.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I mostly avoid procgen games but I had fun with a couple this year. One is Monolith because a full run through is like 20 minutes long so I didn't have time to get bored, and the other is Towerclimb (though it didn't come out this year) because the skill ceiling is somewhere up in space and through some kind of indie game magic it somehow does level generation that is freshly challenging every single time.

Oh right I also played the newest Shiren which was good but it's an actual roguelike.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Kanfy posted:

Haven't you bought almost every major release this year though, people with smaller gaming budgets might not be quite so open to the idea.

Not even close. I'm pretty sure a lot of gamers buy way more games than I do. Having a wife also increases the number of games we buy, as we have different tastes and priorities and while I usually play games she buys and vice versa, if I were alone I wouldn't own half the games I do.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I think the best design model, if you have a game where you want to tell a story or have an experience with an endpoint, is make that as concise and dense and rich as possible with no filler. Then, if your gameplay is good enough that people would want to keep playing, you can have your postgame with the more repetitive or even endless content that people can play until they have their fill.

this is what the zwei games do, which is odd considering zwei 1 barely has mechanics for people to dive into and zwei 2 is already near impossible to 100% before the post-game comes into the equation

and then trails to infinity just has a 20 hour story and then a 10-hour extra story, and then an equal number of new game+ bonus levels, but it's the one game where it makes sense because the gameplay in trails to infinity loving rocks

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Nov 20, 2017

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

It's still technically progen but TumbleSeed got way better when they changed from a way too hard roguelike structure to one with levels, and it did a neat thing where it generates the level once and lets you try the same level over and over again to get it right. I think a lot of indie devs have played their games so much they don't realize what works and what doesn't when someone new tries their game.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
anyway paranautical activity is the worst roguelike fps i've ever played and i think all games should use it as an example of what not to make

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

The Colonel posted:

anyway paranautical activity is the worst roguelike fps i've ever played and i think all games should use it as an example of what not to make

I wanted very badly to like it but it's just... not good

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

In Training posted:

People like dailies and procgen way more than just like, an arcade game. I think Nex Machina is a good recent example of an indie game that just made a 40 minute game and nobody bought it

Yea that's a good point :(

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Roguelikes are the only video game genre that I have zero respect for. Most of them just scream, "I have no idea how to properly balance a game and have no concept of good level design so here this game's that essentially rolling dice" to me.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

actual roguey roguelikes are pretty cool though, and most of them are free

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Colonel posted:

isnt that the game where the dev sent threats of physical violence to Gabe Newell

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I don't think roguelike fps has ever worked. Maybe good level generation is too hard, or the thing you do in fpses too simple.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Anyway im glad for the general trend because i like binding of isaac and absolutely love nuclear throne so its a wash overall

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

lets hang out posted:

I don't think roguelike fps has ever worked
I don't know what the definition of roguelike is in 2017, does devil daggers count. my gut feeling is no

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

https://twitter.com/RPGSite/status/931937983808266240

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Not a Children posted:

I wanted very badly to like it but it's just... not good

it's unbelievably ugly and bland and i bought it for a buck while the greenlight drama was happening and ended up questioning why people were so upset about a really bad game getting kept off of steam

and then the final release came out on steam and it was exactly the same as the alpha except like, you could select a class

In Training posted:

isnt that the game where the dev sent threats of physical violence to Gabe Newell

it only got back on steam when they sold the rights to another company

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Accordion Man posted:

Roguelikes are the only video game genre that I have zero respect for. Most of them just scream, "I have no idea how to properly balance a game and have no concept of good level design so here this game's that essentially rolling dice" to me.

That's... not how they're made? Or how they work?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I like rogue likes/lites but like most trendy genres, 90% of what's made is garbage that doesn't understand why the thing is good when it's done well

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Mordja posted:

Hey FAU. I've been reading the Youtube Kids thread in GBS which is the definition of :stonklol:

Other than that I made a Chicago deep dish pizza that I still have leftovers I'm looking forward to. What's up with you?

Wow, lowkey burn to Facts Are Useless.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ddda question: What level is a good starting point for bitterback isle? Im at like 32 right now at the start of the greatwall quest in the main game and im kinda bored since its my 3rd playthrough of the base content and im just rushing the story to get exp with the idea that i'll just grind in everfall to prepare for bitterback, but if i can go earlier and have a decent time i'd be up for that too.

Also whats the item everyone says trivializes bitterback isle? Some kind of status effect arrow?

Thanks

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 21, 2017

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Rusted weapons can inflict torpor, which basically makes enemies move in slow motion. Around level 35-40 is probably fine.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

FirstAidKite posted:

Wow, lowkey burn to Facts Are Useless.

Haha, whoops.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Invisible inc is the argument for procgen but Klei are very good designers and it's also a game with preconstructed blocks that fit together in smart ways.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

glam rock hamhock posted:

On the one hand padding is bad. On the other hand I get this sense that as gamers have gotten older and now have less free time rather than just accept they won't be able to play everything, they now act like the industry should change due to their new needs and actually offering a really long game is a bad thing

The secret is, it always was

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

al-azad posted:

Invisible inc is the argument for procgen but Klei are very good designers and it's also a game with preconstructed blocks that fit together in smart ways.
that's true, but also the needs of map design in that kind of game are very different from some of the examples of bad procgen games. one thing procedural generation is very good at is space filling and that makes for reasonable looking office buildings to sneak around in

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

al-azad posted:

Spelunky also did this, if I remember right, and it's another argument for procgen.

...But I mean, procgen requires a good game designer, and if you don't have that, you're screwed.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

corn in the bible posted:

The secret is, it always was
This, games really do not need to be dozens of hours long unless they have enough interesting content to justify it, i.e. Witcher 3.

People that whine that a shooter is ten hours or a RPG is twenty are out of their depths.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Nov 21, 2017

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Heat Signature is a good procgen game.

Related: is there a distinction to be made between randomly generated content and procedurally generated content? Cause I feel like the concepts are used interchangeably when they should mean different things.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

A good game that I wish was on steam.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Heat Signature is a good procgen game.

Related: is there a distinction to be made between randomly generated content and procedurally generated content? Cause I feel like the concepts are used interchangeably when they should mean different things.
by definition yes but also nothing really has "randomly generated content" so you might as well use them interchangeably. the difference is that something randomly generated is coming straight out of a RNG with maybe some kind of light filtering or post processing applied to it while in procedural generation the RNG is fed into a process that generates the thing within certain bounds. if there's any kind of logic to it then its not random anymore its procedural

its the difference between white noise and perlin noise

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

precision posted:

Pyre and Hellblade would certainly be tied for "games that I felt most satisfied with" this year

Horizon, Yakuza 0 and AC: Origins would be "games that I felt had the most to offer in traditional game format" this year

Night in the Woods and LIS: BTS would be "most hella gay games of the year"

RE7 for "biggest surprise of the year"

Mass Effect: Adromeda for "traditional game I loved the most at first and then most quickly got bored of as I slowly realized it was crushingly mediocre"

how about "game I regret buying the most"

mine's Agents of Mayhem at $45 what was I thinking :wtc:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

https://twitter.com/redbullesports/status/931595926275272704

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUju_e0T8O8&t=362s

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Speaking of long good games

Too bad there'll never be a remake or sequel

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

nachos posted:

how about "game I regret buying the most"

mine's Agents of Mayhem at $45 what was I thinking :wtc:

Spore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Will Wright probably could've made some more cool games if the internet didn't murder him after Spore idk

• Locked thread