Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck, trout season just started here in San Diego. I want me some trout man. I recently had a cracked tooth, turned crown, turned root canal so I'm hard strapped for cash but I want my new trout setup so I can go nail some fatties and then subsequently eat them all alone because nobody that I know (minus Asians) really likes fish.

There was a post on the San Diego fishing forum about some guy that potentially found a body in a body of water that's real close to me. I literally just took my dog out there to sniff some nature on Sunday.

The story is linked below, I was right by where they thought the body was. The biggest mystery is why the guy was even fishing that lake in the first place. That was the lake they used to breed the Florida strain of bass they introduced way back when, but a few years ago the fish just like died off. Pretty sad, it's a fun lake to hike around.

Basically I go out of my driveway, make a right and a right, then take that road for about 3 minutes until it turns into dirt road, you go a bit longer down it and there's a parking area with multiple trails, and one that leads to that lake (it's the upper part of the my local lake, connected by a dam, where I usually bass fish. Aptly named Lower Otay Reservoir). It's more or less what got me back into fishing, the desire to hike out around there fishing. Alas, I had no idea that the lake was dead when the dream was actualized.

https://sdfish.com/freshwater/angler-discovers-possible-dead-body-fish-finder/

Also, here's the sweet new hoodie I got from the sdfish forums.

joem83 fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Nov 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

joem83 posted:

If there was a :highfive: I'd put it here

:hf:

There are hobos sleeping in the park when I fish Green Lake before dawn 100% of the time. I give them their space and they give me mine.

Edit: Holy gently caress about the body dump. And how do people in San Diego not love all the fish available to them? Shake my drat head.

A Pack of Kobolds fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Nov 16, 2017

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

:hf:

There are hobos sleeping in the park when I fish Green Lake before dawn 100% of the time. I give them their space and they give me mine.

Edit: Holy gently caress about the body dump. And how do people in San Diego not love all the fish available to them? Shake my drat head.

Oh snap, there is a highfive. The little gif is so small I missed it and I Ctrl + F'd "high" and got no hits. Alas, the "body" was just logs. They did find an airplane in the lower section of the reservoir though!

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sdut-world-war-ii-helldiver-bottom-lower-otay-lake-2010aug20-htmlstory.html

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

At least you don't have to worry about snagging a hook on dumped corpses at your trout spot.

AliExpress just had a sale and I remembered Bongwizzard mentioning Kuying rods, so I picked up a Teton super ultralight. Hella excited for it to arrive and to get the first trout on it.

Next trip is to a lake near my buddy's place for trout and/or crappie. This skunk needs to die.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

AliExpress just had a sale and I remembered Bongwizzard mentioning Kuying rods, so I picked up a Teton super ultralight.

I'm really interested to hear what you think of it. I have the casting version in ultralight and while it is soft as gently caress, it still has a surprising amount of backbone for as thin as the blank is.

Did you get the spinning or the casting version?

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I got a spinning version because I am a creature of habit, but I'm dipping my toes into casting rods and reels too. I ordered a couple of them to use for trolling next year, and I have a cheap little casting rod and reel that I want to use for catfish.

Regardless, I have high hopes for the Kuying. AliExpress is my go-to for most fishing gear and I am rarely disappointed. I know I mention them once in a while in this thread, but I get almost all of my line and terminal tackle there. I'm happy to recommend things if anybody cares, but I don't want to poo poo up the thread.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
While I am making a strong effort to curb my tackle buying impulses, I always love about reading about new stuff, so please post away.

If you really want to dip your toe in the casting, the daiwa tatula sv is getting very positive reviews even from places that would normally turn their nose up at an entry-level reel. Right now there are a couple reputable sellers on eBay that have it for around $130 but with Black Friday coming up it might be possible to do even better than that. It's not going to be a distance casting champ, nor be able to do real finesse stuff, but for a basic all purpose casting reel to learn on, it sounds like the best one out there.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

joem83 posted:

Oh snap, there is a highfive. The little gif is so small I missed it and I Ctrl + F'd "high" and got no hits. Alas, the "body" was just logs. They did find an airplane in the lower section of the reservoir though!

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sdut-world-war-ii-helldiver-bottom-lower-otay-lake-2010aug20-htmlstory.html

There's also a :respek:

Do you ever fish Cuyamaca?

e: St. Croix is having a black friday sale with free shipping IIRC. Hide your wallets.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

I haven't been to Cuyamaca yet, that was where I wanted to go on my birthday this year but the anglers retreat cabins were all booked up. We keep talking about going camping there.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I hope that the southern Californians reading this post know how good their surf fishing opportunities are. If you haven't tried it before, you really should. It's a blast and you can bring some really nice stuff home for dinner.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

I just ordered my new ultra light setup, I intend to take it out for some surf fishing too!

I got a 7 foot Daiwa Presso paired with a Pflueger Supreme XT. The reel was probably overkill, but it matches!

Watch out trouts, I'm coming for you!

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I hope that the southern Californians reading this post know how good their surf fishing opportunities are. If you haven't tried it before, you really should. It's a blast and you can bring some really nice stuff home for dinner.

Not to poo poo on anyone that eats stuff from the bay, but I'd be hard pressed to take anything home from anywhere along the LA beaches unless it were a big halibut. This does not include north of Malibu or south of Newport.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Halibut is probably the worse. Alpha predators with long life spans really should be avoided.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

LingcodKilla posted:

Alpha predators with long life spans really should be avoided.

Why is that? just curious

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

ROFLburger posted:

Why is that? just curious

More time for heavy metals to build up in the meat.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

Not to poo poo on anyone that eats stuff from the bay, but I'd be hard pressed to take anything home from anywhere along the LA beaches unless it were a big halibut. This does not include north of Malibu or south of Newport.

I guess that makes sense; I've been paying more attention to what lives out there than anything. My jealousy has become pity.

I'm going to fish for striped & pile perch in town this weekend. Hopefully squid, too.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
I sat on a local beach until 2am last night hoping for a bronze whaler. Got a few hits on the lighter setup I had out but the fish head I paddled out was untouched after about 7 hours.

It was a lovely night and I saw 3 shooting stars.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

gay picnic defence posted:

I sat on a local beach until 2am last night hoping for a bronze whaler. Got a few hits on the lighter setup I had out but the fish head I paddled out was untouched after about 7 hours.

It was a lovely night and I saw 3 shooting stars.

I looked up bronze whalers and saw this pic:

My first involuntary thoughts were:

1. "Holy poo poo, that's a legit shark."
2. "There is no way that man is not Australian. No way at all."

Enjoy your summer nightfishing on the beach, AusGoon!

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Yep, that's a bronzie. They grow loving huge, 300kg is not unheard of.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

SoCal fishers, do y'all do any kind of meetup or anything?

I'm in West LA and fish the marina here often, not so much the piers but jetties/shore all day.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I have all weekend off, and I haven't fished in weeks!

It's going to be like 40° and rainy all weekend.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I did some trout fishing in PA last week. Did well. First one was a pretty good sized Brown, but they're so strong and slimy and slipped out before we could get the picture took.

Caught a palomino, and of course lots of rainbows. Gorgeous chilly fall fishing day.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Planet X posted:

I did some trout fishing in PA last week. Did well. First one was a pretty good sized Brown, but they're so strong and slimy and slipped out before we could get the picture took.

Caught a palomino, and of course lots of rainbows. Gorgeous chilly fall fishing day.

That looks like an awesome trout fishing, also that rainbow is super pretty!

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'm feeling pretty sore after my first trip in a paddle yak in about 4 months. It's poo poo how quickly you lose your conditioning, hopefully it comes back soon.

The new yak is a Stealth Fisha 500, a glass kayak designed for long trips across open water. I've been wanting to get offshore for a long time now but the weather hasn't been playing ball.

Today I launched on first light and headed out towards the 50m line and bottom bash for flathead and possibly a gummy shark, and suspend a squid part way down the water column in case something hungry swam past (as it happened, something hungry did swim past: a loving seal. Luckily for both of us it was able to steal the squid without getting hooked on the twin 10/0s).

Ended up with some nice flathead and a small gurnard perch which was too hosed from being pulled from 45m down to recover. Caught and released a couple of skates too.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

gay picnic defence posted:

I'm feeling pretty sore after my first trip in a paddle yak in about 4 months. It's poo poo how quickly you lose your conditioning, hopefully it comes back soon.

The new yak is a Stealth Fisha 500, a glass kayak designed for long trips across open water. I've been wanting to get offshore for a long time now but the weather hasn't been playing ball.

Today I launched on first light and headed out towards the 50m line and bottom bash for flathead and possibly a gummy shark, and suspend a squid part way down the water column in case something hungry swam past (as it happened, something hungry did swim past: a loving seal. Luckily for both of us it was able to steal the squid without getting hooked on the twin 10/0s).

Ended up with some nice flathead and a small gurnard perch which was too hosed from being pulled from 45m down to recover. Caught and released a couple of skates too.

Looks like a great day!

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Hell of a run in a couple hours in the rain off San Pedro.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I wish I didn’t live in a desert so that I could contribute to this thread regularly. I’m having withdrawals.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Catch a scorpion you pussy

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't get a chance to fish this weekend, so nice to see y'all do so well!

gamera009 posted:

Hell of a run in a couple hours in the rain off San Pedro.

What are these pretty (tasty looking) things?

Planet X posted:

What were you catching them on? My trout luck has been jack poo poo since the weather got colder.

freeedr posted:

I wish I didn’t live in a desert so that I could contribute to this thread regularly. I’m having withdrawals.

No rivers or anything nearby? None at all?

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

What are these pretty (tasty looking) things?

They look like lane or mangrove snapper to me. If my guess is right I can confirm that they are indeed delicious.

My parents are coming down to visit for Thanksgiving. I'm gonna take my dad out fishing, he used to take me when I was a kid and he's been ecstatic that I've gotten into it over the past year. Hopefully I'll have some fish to post this weekend!

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Definitely a snapper, but not a not lane or mangrove. Blue by the eye is usually mutton. Otherwise it might be something specific to the region.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

What were you catching them on? My trout luck has been jack poo poo since the weather got colder.

I'm no trout expert, but the guy I went with has been fishing all around here his whole life. I used scuds - the tiny aquatic shrimp. We did high stick nymphing, which was basically you toss it in with a small sinker, holding the rod tip far above the water. You let the (subsurface) fly drift around on the bottom and if you're lucky, they pick it up. This is very different than the fly fishing we all think of which is this graceful long cast thing. My fly fishing is far from graceful, for sure.

Man fly fishing can be finicky but if one hits, it's so exciting on light tackle.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Trout are getting stocked this afternoon at the lake here in Tempe! I'll try to snap some pictures of it if I can get get off of work in time.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Planet X posted:

I'm no trout expert, but the guy I went with has been fishing all around here his whole life. I used scuds - the tiny aquatic shrimp. We did high stick nymphing, which was basically you toss it in with a small sinker, holding the rod tip far above the water. You let the (subsurface) fly drift around on the bottom and if you're lucky, they pick it up. This is very different than the fly fishing we all think of which is this graceful long cast thing. My fly fishing is far from graceful, for sure.

Man fly fishing can be finicky but if one hits, it's so exciting on light tackle.

I had a feeling you were on flies based on your net, and this is an interesting technique. I did a little bit of fly fishing on rivers in Idaho, but there isn't room for it where I live now. Fighting trout on an ultralight spinning rod is close to the sensation of a fly rod, so I definitely get the draw.

I'm not traveling for Thanksgiving this year, so I'm going to be putting some time in on the water. I still want to go for striped and pile perch, and there are supposed to be some kelp greenlings and flounder around here, too.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Enigma posted:

Definitely a snapper, but not a not lane or mangrove. Blue by the eye is usually mutton. Otherwise it might be something specific to the region.

Mutton snapper is common on the reefs here in Belize.

Definitely tasty. Grilled and covered in green curry and coconut cream.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

New rod and reel came in, almost a perfect match! Close enough to satisfy me, at least.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

joem83 posted:

New rod and reel came in, almost a perfect match! Close enough to satisfy me, at least.

:bisonyes:

Will you be able to use it this weekend?

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

:bisonyes:

Will you be able to use it this weekend?

I was going to go out right now to my local lake, see if I could hook into a bluegill or something, but it's like 90+ out right now so I'll just chill here with a beer in my comfy shorts. My little brother is coming down for a visit this weekend, I think we're gonna try to go hook into some trout on Sunday. I did a bit of casting out in front of my house and it definitely flings the 1/32 mini jigs much easier than my other ultralight. Will hopefully post a fish soon!

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

joem83 posted:

I was going to go out right now to my local lake, see if I could hook into a bluegill or something, but it's like 90+ out right now so I'll just chill here with a beer in my comfy shorts. My little brother is coming down for a visit this weekend, I think we're gonna try to go hook into some trout on Sunday. I did a bit of casting out in front of my house and it definitely flings the 1/32 mini jigs much easier than my other ultralight. Will hopefully post a fish soon!

God drat, and I'm here complaining about our record high of like 62 degrees today. I hope that cold beers today lead to tight lines tomorrow.

Your new gear is really not helping my poor impulse control. I'm fighting the urge to drop $200+ on a SUL rod and the Daiwa casting reel that bongwizzard suggested that I don't even know how to use. I'm not letting myself do it until I catch fish on the gear I already have and don't use enough, but goddamn it's hard to be responsible right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

God drat, and I'm here complaining about our record high of like 62 degrees today. I hope that cold beers today lead to tight lines tomorrow.

Your new gear is really not helping my poor impulse control. I'm fighting the urge to drop $200+ on a SUL rod and the Daiwa casting reel that bongwizzard suggested that I don't even know how to use. I'm not letting myself do it until I catch fish on the gear I already have and don't use enough, but goddamn it's hard to be responsible right now.

It's that time of year to splurge though! Better hope they don't have a black friday sale on that setup you want :D