Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I want to die

quote:

Bitcoin-enabled fintech platform Coins.ph announced it has been granted an Electronic Money Issuer (EMI) license by the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP), making it the first blockchain startup in Asia to win such a license from monetary regulators, it said in a statement issued Nov. 17.

“The new license allows Coins to accept and hold customer funds, and extend the functionality of its online and offline payment services,” it explained. “The company already has a very active customer base using its existing payments, remittance, air-time and bill-pay services.”

The move represents a sharp policy turnaround for the Philippine banking regulator. Many central banks are wary of Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies because these were not created by monetary authorities, and the BSP is no exception. In 2014, it issued a circular warning the public how exchanges using cryptocurrencies are unregulated and “may be used for money laundering and other illicit activities.”

The BSP started to soften its cautious attitude towards Bitcoin and other digital currencies early this year when it issued Circular No. 944, which recognized their benefits for easing payments and money transfers. It outlined broad regulations for businesses that want to operate as virtual currency exchanges.

The BSP has long been issuing EMI licenses to banks and other financial institutions subject to its regulatory authority. It also granted EMI licenses to fintech platforms linked to telecommunications operators such as G-Xchange Inc. and PayMaya as well as to payments systems such as Alipay, Infoserve and TrueMoney.

The EMI license issued to Coins.ph is the first to be granted to a Bitcoin-enabled fintech platform. It is expected to boost customer trust as they can use the platform not just for payments or remittances but also to store funds.

“This license reflects our ongoing commitment to ensure Coins’ customers can store their funds in a safe and secure e-wallet that they can trust,” Coins CEO Ron Hose said in a statement.

The central bank issued guidelines on the issuance of electronic money way back in February 2009. The guidelines, outlined in Circular No. 649, defined e-money as any monetary value represented by a claim on its issuer that meet the following requirements: a) electronically stored in an instrument or device; b) issued against a receipt of fund of an amount not lesser than the monetary value issue; c) accepted as means of payment by persons or entities other than the issuer; d) withdrawable in cash or cash equivalent; and e) issued in accordance with BSP regulations. The electronic instruments or devices refer to cash cards, e-wallets accessible via mobile phones or other similar devices, stored value cards and other similar products.

As electronic money, funds stored with EMI license holders are not considered deposits and do not earn interest. Neither are they covered by deposit insurance. The BSP has also set a monthly aggregate load limit of Php100,000 per account holder being served by each EMI.

Founded in 2014, Coins gives its users access to a wide array of financial services like remittances, bill payments and online shopping through a mobile application. Like most fintech startups, its users would have to set up an e-money account, which may be loaded up in different accessible payment centers like convenience stores, pawnshops and even banks.

But what makes it stand out from the rest is all of its services are powered by Bitcoin, making it one of the first startups in Southeast Asia to use blockchain technology. The startup now has over two million users and has since expanded to Thailand.

“Coins wants to make financial services easily accessible to anyone, anywhere, via their mobile phone. Receiving this license is an important milestone towards extending the ecosystem of services available to our customers,” Coins Head of Business Operations Justin Leow said in a statement.

Coins has received fresh funding worth $9.5 million from investment firms Quona Capital and Naspers Ventures in the first half of the year. According to a study by global consulting firm Accenture, investment in fintech players in the Asia Pacific region has risen from $103 million in 2010 to $4.3 billion in 2015.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I think this really gets the thread title

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/932605578823729152

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Jose posted:

I think this really gets the thread title

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/932605578823729152

"We're just gonna pretend to wring our hands about it, then vigorously do nothing to help because who gives a gently caress if poors die and that money would be better spent enriching cronies. While we're at it we'd better step up arrests because cops have a massive hardon for playing gestapo and love getting any excuse to assault and murder the downtrodden."

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

I want to die

if you deposit your bitcoins in a central site and run transfers through there it seems like you lose all the things that cryptocurrencies give you

the trajectory for cryptocurrencies right now is for them to get subsumed into the banking system so rents can be extracted by banks and VC money

slumdoge millionare
Feb 17, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

silentsnack posted:

"We're just gonna pretend to wring our hands about it, then vigorously do nothing to help because who gives a gently caress if poors die and that money would be better spent enriching cronies. While we're at it we'd better step up arrests because cops have a massive hardon for playing gestapo and love getting any excuse to assault and murder the downtrodden."

Basically the plot to the new Kingsmen movie

Where's my laser whip dammit

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

we can't get pensions bc they're hiding in the caymans lmao

http://www.ibtimes.com/political-capital/paradise-papers-your-retirement-cash-may-be-caymans-can-you-get-it-back-2615694

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

bitcoin is at 8.2k lmao

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Karl Barks posted:

bitcoin is at 8.2k lmao

whoa

I haven't been reading the Bitcoin laugh thread in a while, time to catch up

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Love to live through modern day tulip mania.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

riding that wave, gotta sell at the exact right moment fellas

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Well I mean it's also possible that in five years, the world's entire money supply will have been redistributed towards Bitcoin havers. Right?

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

bitcoin will be capitalized at 5 trillion dollars and then everyone will have to switch to it bing bong so simple

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

lol

quote:

During the 2012 election, though, the Cayman Islands Journal reported that longtime Democratic Party official Donna Brazile told investors at a Cayman Islands conference that “the American people are not against offshore wealth, offshore ‘tax havens’, but they’re often told that, you know, this is taking something away from them."

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

lov 2 record my currency transactions using uncapped proof-of-work that consumes energy inversely proportional to how costly it is, ensuring that it must consume absolutely more energy as energy production grows more efficient.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

brb gonna quantum compute all the bitcoins

Manic Technophile
Nov 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
8 new posts, and they're all about Bitcoin.

Bitcoin is still way too small to cause any major crisis if it collapses. Nobody but bitcoiners will care. So why is it infecting this thread when there's a perfectly good one about it on the front page of GBS?

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Manic Technophile posted:

Bitcoin is still way too small to cause any major crisis if it collapses. Nobody but bitcoiners will care. So why is it infecting this thread when there's a perfectly good one about it on the front page of GBS?

bitcoin miner spotted

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

yeah bitcoin doesnt matter much in the grand scheme but its massive increase is due to capital running out of places to go and as a means to circumvent capital controls

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/11/wall-street-fears-trumps-deranged-tax-plan-could-kick-off-economic-euthanasia

quote:

Worse, he says, it could lead to another housing crisis, just as the last one is (or should be) still fresh in our collective memories. Here’s his thinking (which is hard to refute): Since, generally speaking, one of the largest state taxes is on property—your home—eliminating the federal tax deduction for state property taxes will inevitably cause the cost of homeownership in states with high property taxes to go up. It follows, logically, that if the annual cost of home ownership goes up, then the value of the home—which is for most people their single most-valuable asset—must go down. The National Association of Realtors commissioned a recent study that predicted that the elimination of the deduction for state and local taxes could result in a decrease in home valuations of between 10 percent and 17 percent.

That would wipe out a huge amount of homeowner equity, with the usual expected consequences: the sick feeling that comes from knowing that suddenly you are poorer, which can then lead to lower consumer spending, kicking off a recession. Furthermore, if the value of homes goes down, then whatever equity has been built up in those homes will also go down, and the ability to unlock that equity—through home-equity loans or reverse mortgages—will also decrease. Lower home values could also lead to problems—again—for the government-sponsored entities Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac that have guaranteed some home mortgages, which are secured by homes worth materially less. New problems for the G.S.E.s will make it harder for people to get mortgages, leading to a lower level of home ownership than already exists.

lol if the GOP crashes the housing market twice in one decade.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

lol so the stock market is going to crash whether they pass the bill or not. good to know.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
once again the sandwich-heavy portfolio pays off

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

got any sevens posted:

once again the sandwich-heavy portfolio pays off

401k's are gonna be in good shape in 10 years if every stock is a penny stock for 2018

of course maybe the republic breaks up and our currency becomes toilet paper, too

still, it's not like we have pensions or the likelihood of social security still being around when we're nearing retirement, so is it really gambling when it's your only choice?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

I'm fine with 8 posts about Bitcoin, as long as it doesn't become 80,000 posts like in GBS.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Epic High Five posted:

still, it's not like we have pensions or the likelihood of social security still being around when we're nearing retirement, so is it really gambling when it's your only choice?

the only thing stopping our generation from collecting social security is our unwillingness to fight for it

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Agronox posted:

the only thing stopping our generation from collecting social security is our unwillingness to fight for it

it ain't the progressives I've seen offering it up on a platter in the name of bipartisanship, and it sure as hell ain't the centrists advocating for raising the cap on contributions

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Unironically invade the Caymans.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

cus its funny

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I'll care because it'll finally make GPU prices great again!!

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I thought miners transitioned to custom hardware

rudatron fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Nov 21, 2017

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

I thought all mining is done in the cloud. speaking of funny

https://twitter.com/buttcoin/status/932813652603887616

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
depends what you mine, if you love bitcoin you're running custom hardware in a warehouse in china, if you love [insert bitcoin replacement here] you're loving up the gpu market

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Surely you'd just run asics in both though, lower cost per hash is the only metric that matters

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

rudatron posted:

Surely you'd just run asics in both though, lower cost per hash is the only metric that matters

i think the whole point of the buttcoin alternatives is to make custom hardware mining infeasible

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
like something about them requires more memory or something that GPUs do better

i'm not a bitcoin / computer scientist so idk about details

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

rudatron posted:

I thought miners transitioned to custom hardware

they did for bits but nobody has custom hardware for ethereum or any of the other new ones yet

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

logikv9 posted:

i think the whole point of the buttcoin alternatives is to make custom hardware mining infeasible

not infeasible, just using different math with different hardware optimizations so you couldn't use the same stuff you used on butts for anything else nearly as effectively

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

logikv9 posted:

like something about them requires more memory or something that GPUs do better

i'm not a bitcoin / computer scientist so idk about details

they really hosed up going whole hog into asics and not stickin to fpgas

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
God I should have just started a business selling bitcoin hardware, squeezing as much cash from gullible libertarians as possoble

Like the saying goes, if you want to get rich in a gold rush, sell shovels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/932774126581964801

Talks have deadlocked as the US isn't budging from any of it's demands that Canada and Mexico find unacceptable. This is the fifth round of negotiations out of seven. The sixth round will be in January. The seventh and last round needs to be done before the end of March to avoid overlapping with the Mexican presidential election.