Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
What is the US demanding? I hope it's more corn dumping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Are these NAFTA negotiations something that was already supposed to happen, or were they prompted/initiated by the Trump administration?

Because if it's the latter, it seems like it's an entirely self-inflicted wound.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

rudatron posted:

God I should have just started a business selling bitcoin hardware, squeezing as much cash from gullible libertarians as possoble

Like the saying goes, if you want to get rich in a gold rush, sell shovels

Somebody did this, turns out they ran the hardware for months themselves to mine bitcoin then shipped the hardware after it was "fully tested" and several months obsolete after the order date, assuming they sent anything at all

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

skaboomizzy posted:

Somebody did this, turns out they ran the hardware for months themselves to mine bitcoin then shipped the hardware after it was "fully tested" and several months obsolete after the order date, assuming they sent anything at all

was this the "butterfly labs" people?

lmao bitcoiners and maga chuds what with being basically cultists sound so easy to scam

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
the venn diagram between "bitcoin is the future" people and maga chuds is a circle

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Rand alPaul posted:

What is the US demanding? I hope it's more corn dumping.

The Trump administration wants half of the content of all North American-built autos be produced in the United States and that the regional vehicle content requirement be increased to 85 percent from 62.5 percent.

A NAFTA sunset clause that would effectively trigger a renegotiation of the pact every five years.

The end of the NAFTA trade dispute settlement system and the erection of new protective barriers for seasonal fruit and vegetable growers.

Those are the big ones.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Are these NAFTA negotiations something that was already supposed to happen, or were they prompted/initiated by the Trump administration?

Because if it's the latter, it seems like it's an entirely self-inflicted wound.

Trump initiated the renegotiation process.

Pizza Segregationist
Jul 18, 2006

OhFunny posted:

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/932774126581964801

Talks have deadlocked as the US isn't budging from any of it's demands that Canada and Mexico find unacceptable. This is the fifth round of negotiations out of seven. The sixth round will be in January. The seventh and last round needs to be done before the end of March to avoid overlapping with the Mexican presidential election.

If no agreement is reached, what happens? Do we just stick with the status quo?

Tho my guess is we will wind up with a few trivial changes so Trump can go around talking about how his amazing deal making skills got us a good deal and NAFTA is good now.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

MrWilderheap posted:

If no agreement is reached, what happens? Do we just stick with the status quo?

Tho my guess is we will wind up with a few trivial changes so Trump can go around talking about how his amazing deal making skills got us a good deal and NAFTA is good now.

I think so. I'm unsure.

Mexican Counteroffer Marks Tit-for-Tat Turn in Nafta Talks

quote:

Mexico is proposing to limit access to government contracts for U.S. firms in a sign that America’s Nafta partners are willing to strike back against what they see as hardline proposals by the Trump administration.

Mexican negotiators are seeking to cap the value of procurement-tenders awarded to American companies to the same amount that Mexican firms get in the U.S. Since American firms do more procurement business in Mexico than vice versa, it would mean less business for U.S. companies, said a person familiar with discussions who spoke on condition of anonymity.

I don't think there'll be a NAFTA 2.0 that's a copypaste with some small changes though. Mexico and Canada are holding firm to their position that what the US wants is unworkable and now Mexico is putting forward unacceptable proposals for the US negotiators.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/business/status/933092883065741312

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
ha ha ha!!

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Can't remember the article, but a while back I read U.S. demands on NAFTA as being intentionally arrogant and impossible to accommodate, almost as if they're designed to result in the breakup of the agreement. I think the author likened it to refusing to be the first to suggest divorce to a spouse, so they just become insufferable to break the marriage passive aggressively.

Manic Technophile
Nov 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/local/2017/11/20/10000-people-died-waiting-for-a-disability-decision-in-the-past-year-will-he-be-next

MICROSOFT INCEL
Jun 11, 2017

Totes not a death panel guys.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/mattbruenig/status/933196946683994112

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

normal country

not ruled by a death cult

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
there was a middle aged dude screaming at a pharmacist in the CVS I was in today because the doctor wouldn’t refill his prescription and the pharmacist couldn’t give it to him and his mom passed out twice that day without whatever that was which I’m guessing was insulin?

tl;dr nationalize big pharma and gulag the management

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Taintrunner posted:

there was a middle aged dude screaming at a pharmacist in the CVS I was in today because the doctor wouldn’t refill his prescription and the pharmacist couldn’t give it to him and his mom passed out twice that day without whatever that was which I’m guessing was insulin?

tl;dr nationalize big pharma and gulag the management

hyperglycemia does weird things but passing out isn't classically one of them

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

yeah consider this a PSA so you don’t accidentally kill someone: if you know someone diabetic and find them passed out or in a ‘daze’ then DO👏🏻NOT👏🏻GIVE👏🏻THEM👏🏻INSULIN

The insulin is to help them get sugar out of their blood. if they’re sluggish it’s because they don’t have enough.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i only carry the magic injector shots that revive shot-to-death squadmates in shooter games

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

sugar is like an insanely bad molecule in almost every way

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Rex-Goliath posted:

yeah consider this a PSA so you don’t accidentally kill someone: if you know someone diabetic and find them passed out or in a ‘daze’ then DO👏🏻NOT👏🏻GIVE👏🏻THEM👏🏻INSULIN

The insulin is to help them get sugar out of their blood. if they’re sluggish it’s because they don’t have enough.

give them sugar asap, depending on their mental state they are most likely not in the position to eat properly so just fuckin call for an ambulance. they will carry glucose in gel form

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

SKULL.GIF posted:

to rid yourself of the evils of sugar, try injecting a ton of insulin directly into your body. the degraded mental state and eventual hypoglycemic coma is your body ridding itself of chemical evils

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

SKULL.GIF posted:

but its yummy

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

SKULL.GIF posted:

It's endorsed by renowned physician Dr. Pepper so clearly you're wrong.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Rand alPaul posted:

It's endorsed by renowned physician Dr. Pepper so clearly you're wrong.

Come now, even he's seen the light an moved to the healthy galaxy-tier high fructose corn syrup.

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

Pidgin Englishman posted:

Come now, even he's seen the light an moved to the healthy galaxy-tier high fructose corn syrup.

lmao

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/samstein/status/933330048832155653

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

I remember when this lapsed people were like 'Don't worry, GOP aren't heartless monsters that will let millions of children go without health insurance'

lol

Manic Technophile
Nov 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Alpha Mayo posted:

I remember when this lapsed people were like 'Don't worry, GOP aren't heartless monsters that will let millions of children go without health insurance.
GOP was like "after ten thousand years i'm freeeee!" and commenced maximum evil.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
check out this sordid tale of poverty: poor, struggling families who can barely even afford the mortgages on the three houses they rent out full-time, and need the higher prices they can charge on Airbnb just to scrape by

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...89eb_story.html

quote:

But a short drive away, in River Terrace in Northeast, Shaun Johnson said he can afford to stay in the city only because of the extra income he makes as an Airbnb host. Johnson regularly rents out two bedrooms and the basement in his rowhouse and describes the extra $40 or $50 a night per rental as a "godsend" in meeting his mortgage payments.
Johnson resents the accusation that he is contributing to a lack of affordable housing in the city. He says the government and big developers, not little guys trying to make a buck from Airbnb, are to blame for high housing costs.

"Why should the burden of affordable housing be on me? I can barely keep a roof over my head in my own house," Johnson said.

quote:

On Capitol Hill, which has the most short-term rentals of any neighborhood in the city, Dunnzy Levin is concerned because the proposed legislation would bar her and her husband from operating a building they own that has six units for corporate furnished rentals and short-term Airbnbs.

"It's a huge deal for the income," Levin said. "It's giving us a little bit of a cushion to put some money away, because living in the city is kind of hand to mouth."

quote:

Another host concerned about the bill is Ruth Hamilton, who uses Airbnb to rent out one of two units in a rowhouse in Southwest that she and her husband own, in addition to the rowhouse where they live nearby. The Hamiltons' experience shows the financial incentive to rent through Airbnb rather than through a traditional, long-term lease.

The downstairs unit, which is rented long-term, has been fetching the couple $1,500 a month — a rate they expect to jump to between $1,700 and $1,900 a month with the next tenant.

But the upstairs unit, which they rent on Airbnb, yields an average of about $117 a night, and the unit is rented about three-quarters of the year. That works out to more than $2,500 a month.

"I do make more on that apartment than I would if I rented it out on a long-term basis," Hamilton said. The extra money has helped cover her son's college costs.

"It's really enabled us to do that without debt," she said. "I understand the concerns about big apartment buildings going Airbnb and the need for affordable units. In our circumstances . . . our real estate is our way of making ends meet in the city."

these poor unfortunate landlords, barely able to keep their second roof over their head and being unfairly squeezed by BIG HOTEL's dastardly anti-competitive regulations

:killing:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
well they're part right. we need to demolish a shitload of sfh in seattle and replace it with cheap apartments

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

got any sevens posted:

well they're part right. we need to demolish a shitload of sfh in seattle and replace it with cheap apartments

build nice apartments that will stand the test of time and nationalize them to be cheap

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

yeah he’s not wrong. affordable housing is up to zoning boards to properly increase density / open development to keep things on an even keel

of course it’s also nimby shitlords who swell up like pufferfish any time a zoning board hints at changing anything ever soo

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Taintrunner posted:

build nice apartments that will stand the test of time and nationalize them to be cheap

obvs thats the ideal

for nimbys: 🔥🏠

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Rex-Goliath posted:

yeah he’s not wrong. affordable housing is up to zoning boards to properly increase density / open development to keep things on an even keel

of course it’s also nimby shitlords who swell up like pufferfish any time a zoning board hints at changing anything ever soo

to some extent, that's true

on the other hand, there are more entire-home Airbnb rentals in DC than there are affordable housing units, so I'm not super sympathetic to the guy who insists short-term rentals need to be deregulated because they're the only way he can afford his three-bedroom house in a major urban area

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

yeah local govts should also be more aggressive about properly taxing households as hotels if they use airbnb.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

logikv9 posted:

the venn diagram between "bitcoin is the future" people and maga chuds is a circle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFOdtdimvEM

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Alpha Mayo posted:

I remember when this lapsed people were like 'Don't worry, GOP aren't heartless monsters that will let millions of children go without health insurance'

lol

Oh you summer child

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

insanely not a bubble https://powercompare.co.uk/bitcoin/

quote:

According to Digiconomist’s Bitcoin Energy Consumption Index, as of Monday November 20th, 2017 Bitcoin’s current estimated annual electricity consumption stands at 29.05TWh.

That’s the equivalent of 0.13% of total global electricity consumption. While that may not sound like a lot, it means Bitcoin mining is now using more electricity than 159 individual countries (as you can see from the map above). More than Ireland or Nigeria.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

lol