Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Munkaboo posted:

Throne Room scene still gives me chills.

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARTH

I thought Luke shouts "NEVER!!!" after Vader taunts him about turning Leia to the Dark Side?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

AndyElusive posted:

I thought Luke shouts "NEVER!!!" after Vader taunts him about turning Leia to the Dark Side?

I've never been clear on what, exactly, Luke says here. The script says he's saying, "Never-r-r!" but it has always sounded more like "DARTH!" or something else with only one syllable.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Don't take it as concrete proof, but I specifically remember this being a question in Star Wars Trivial Pursuit from the 90s (incl. bonus cards with questions from the upcoming Episode I!). The answer was Never. I only remember this because a sibling's sugar-addled monkeycheese tweenbrain yelled SQUASH and it's been a sibling in-joke for years. hth

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

ESB's beginning and ending are some of the best things in all of Star Wars. RotJ has a good pulpy beginning and a good ending. The middles of each are ok. I can see liking RotJ more, but I can't see claiming it's better. It has too much plot to resolve verbally, rather than visually.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

thrawn527 posted:

I've never been clear on what, exactly, Luke says here. The script says he's saying, "Never-r-r!" but it has always sounded more like "DARTH!" or something else with only one syllable.

:lol: Are you for real?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Vintersorg posted:

:lol: Are you for real?

...yes? Though watching it again now, I can sort of hear the two syllables. But it's not exactly easy to make out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6k3YBmIUYo&t=43s

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

To me he is clearly saying never. Like Marv in Home Alone 2.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

This debate will tear us apart.

Some of you goons are going down a path I can't follow.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Oh i'm not going to die on this hill. I'm totally fine admitting I'm wrong and that I've always heard it wrong.

I'm certainly not going to start a massive go-nowhere debate like is currently happening in the book barn thread.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Did he say "Carrie!" or "Leia!" in A New Hope? Inquiring minds want to know

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Gonz posted:

I love the Rey motif worked into the trailer music, and OH poo poo, SHOUTY LUKE SKYWALKER!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dptIA3P3v-M

Can't believe I'm getting excited for a Star Wars movie after the last two, but here I am.

moist turtleneck posted:

Still the worst thing about ROTJ is this mess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiDRgDmXGi4

Well luckily that didn't happen.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Growing up i always liked jedi better than empire

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I went backwards, when I was a young kid I liked ROTJ the best, and then when I got older I fell into the conventional Empire love, but around the time of the Disney purchase when I was thinking about it more often I realized that Star Wars is the best Star Wars

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

thrawn527 posted:

Oh i'm not going to die on this hill. I'm totally fine admitting I'm wrong and that I've always heard it wrong.

I'm certainly not going to start a massive go-nowhere debate like is currently happening in the book barn thread.

Thanks for pointing me to that thread. It's hilarious

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

moist turtleneck posted:

Are rebels okay with eating humans as long as they were empire scum?

I posted this earlier
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cs_vQgnVnIM
In short, Leia is all Geneva Convention but Han and Chewie were cool with it. Maybe Chewie himself eats stormtrooper, who knows?

PostNouveau posted:

You see, the Jedi Order passed down the knowledge of the Force Kick for thousands of years ...

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Force_kick

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Nov 22, 2017

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

moist turtleneck posted:

I liked it when the Ewoks got owned hard after the initial onslaught

Are rebels okay with eating humans as long as they were empire scum?

I'm laughing pretty hard at Boba Fett right now

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

thrawn527 posted:

...yes? Though watching it again now, I can sort of hear the two syllables. But it's not exactly easy to make out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6k3YBmIUYo&t=43s

poo poo you're right!

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
He's clearly saying badass.

This whole discussion is kinda loving with me right now though. I always heard it as a really guttural "Noooo!" I'll leave my nerd card at the door I suppose.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Luke shouts FUUUUUUUUUCCCCCKKKK at the top of his lungs in TLJ.

Then he rips a dude’s face off with his robohand.

It’s a frightening scene that seems reaaallllly out of place.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

fridge corn posted:

Growing up i always liked jedi better than empire

Same.

But growing up I realized it's an ugly mess of a movie. Ewoks still own though.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I used think that Empire was merely okay but that the Hoth, Dagobah, and Cloud City parts were great. Then later I realized that the entire movie takes place on Hoth, Dagobah, and Cloud City.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I still say they should have given CG Tarkin a practical Salacious Crumb type pet that was clearly a hand puppet.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Luke was saying "narth"

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Woah!

A slow motion gif of a quick flash scene doesn't look good because they didn't want to break an actors face!

Weird!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The best part of that gif is actually the dude flying in the background.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

504 posted:

Woah!

A slow motion gif of a quick flash scene doesn't look good because they didn't want to break an actors face!

Weird!

Well, it totally could have been filmed at a better angle but yeah, I'm pretty sure most people never even notice it because it's such a quick moment and their attention is half-diverted by Boba Fett flying by in the background. Also because they're not watching the movie a million times within a short span.

It's just funny to look at in slow-mo. I don't think the poster is seriously slagging on ROTJ just because a fast-paced action sequence meticulously analyzed in slow motion quite predictably loses some of its illusion of realism.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I used think that Empire was merely okay but that the Hoth, Dagobah, and Cloud City parts were great. Then later I realized that the entire movie takes place on Hoth, Dagobah, and Cloud City.

Dagobah? More like Drag-obah

Serf
May 5, 2011

Last night while watching ESB, my brother accidentally revealed that he has been calling bodegas "dagobahs" all this time.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I never noticed that in all the times watching the movie before I saw the GIF, so it's fine. That guy is being a huge dweeb for thinking it's an attack on ROTJ and not just funny though.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Not the worm cave or space trash disguise scenes, but they're also great.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

AndyElusive posted:

He shouts

"PISSSSSSSS"

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I never noticed that in all the times watching the movie before I saw the GIF, so it's fine. That guy is being a huge dweeb for thinking it's an attack on ROTJ and not just funny though.

I don't think it's an attack, it's just painful watching nerds using ridiculous "flaws" in a 30 (?) year old movie as proof they were bad

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
It's been a joke gif for like 15 years

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

504 posted:

I don't think it's an attack, it's just painful watching nerds using ridiculous "flaws" in a 30 (?) year old movie as proof they were bad

So it's not an attack, just an attempt to prove it's bad?

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Hey did you guys know that this one stormtrooper bumps his head on a doorframe in Star Wars

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

lol its a funny gif, lighten up folks. it was meant to give you joy, not bitterness

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

It was supposed to bring balance to this thread, not leave it in darkness.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

From a certain perspective...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

504 posted:

If you want to see an image to prove a movie might be bad, it’s this one.

It’s so drat ugly. Probably the worst shot in any Star Wars movie.