Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Duckbox posted:

So guys, I'm getting bored with Nilfgaard and starting to think reveal may be tier 3 after all. I'm thinking it's time I cashed in my 8k scrap and tried something like Scoiatael. What's a deck that's actually fun?

Find a random netdeck but replace the golds with avallach: the sage, hanmarvyn's blue dream, renew, and royal decree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Pastry Mistakes posted:

There a set date for the steam release yet?

I doubt Gwent will be released on Steam, since it's made by one of their competitors. It's like EA publishing Battlefield on Steam.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Apparently they've said it is coming out on steam, but not until after the official release, ie not any time soon.

I'm also surprised they committed to it at all, pushing people onto galaxy seems like one of the major perks of the game existing for them

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Duckbox posted:

So guys, I'm getting bored with Nilfgaard and starting to think reveal may be tier 3 after all. I'm thinking it's time I cashed in my 8k scrap and tried something like Scoiatael. What's a deck that's actually fun?

I got bored with NG and decided to give SK a try. Having fun with a Bran Harpooners deck with Scorch at the moment. Crazy win rate, but only because I'm still working my way up the ladder again and people at the lower tiers are not so good. I've seen 40 card ST decks, for the love of God. Also, the number of people who don't account for Wolfsbane is still nuts at my tier.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Anyone care to criticize this deck? I am at Rank 17 and I've had close to 10 loses in a row. Cursed Skellige and handbuff Scoia'tael are my bane.
Emhyr Var Emreis

Bronzes:
Nauzicaa Brigade - 2
Impera Brigade - 3
Impera Enforces - 2
Vicovaro Medics - 2
Infiltrator - 3
Emissary - 3

Silvers:
Peter Saar Gwynleve
Auckes
Ceallach
Vanhemar
Joachim De Wett
Cantarella

Golds:
Vilgefortz
Menno Coehoorn
Rainfarn
Cahir

Azran fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Nov 13, 2017

Keithium
Jan 7, 2013
probably swap out cahir for royal decree

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

dennyk posted:

I got bored with NG and decided to give SK a try. Having fun with a Bran Harpooners deck with Scorch at the moment. Crazy win rate, but only because I'm still working my way up the ladder again and people at the lower tiers are not so good. I've seen 40 card ST decks, for the love of God. Also, the number of people who don't account for Wolfsbane is still nuts at my tier.

I threw a game last week because I broke the "always check their graveyard" rule and mistook the ticking wolfsbane timer for a cerys about to pop (in my defense, the morkvarg rezes lined up). The bane has definitely kept Bran in "best leader" contention but I've also noticed Skellige Mandrake abuse gaining traction.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Duckbox posted:

rydiafan posted:

Leader:
Francesca

Bronze:
Elven Wardancer - 3
Blue Mountain Commando - 3
Vrihedd Officer - 3
Vrihedd Vanguard - 3
Dol Blathanna Trapper - 2
Vrihedd Brigade - 1

Silver:
Decoy
Scorch
Ida Emean
Sarah
Barclay Els
Cleaver

Gold:
Saskia
*Gold of your choice here*
Avallac'h: The Sage
Saesenthessis

rydiafan fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Nov 13, 2017

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Duckbox posted:

something like this for handbuff?

renew is really awesome in that list. all your golds kick rear end and it's never a dead card or doesn't get drawn between francesca and your spy.

fromsinkingsands
Oct 10, 2005

Gotta find Jason.
I've had a lot of success with Eredin Weather Deck + a mixture of unconventional cards.

https://imgur.com/a/HPBjL

Vesemir Gold + Expired Ale really throws people off, especially if you have the luxury of using it in the 3rd round with card advantage or second turn.

I think Cyclops is a really underrated card due to the potential of very high removal, as you find a lot of meta decks running cards that boost over time or take advantage of spies.

I also love She-Troll + Rotfiend combo. Basically the idea is to try to make sure you never draw a Rotfiend and keep that in your deck. When you're dropping a bunch of weather down, players will more than likely start stacking cards on the row without weather, or on one row to avoid Drowners. 9/10 once I drop this combo the player will immediately look at the She-Troll card as if they'd never seen it before. It's beautiful. Highest I racked up with this combo was 28 which is quite the swing in the later rounds.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Lot of good options there. I think I'll make a few different decks and see what's fun.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

welp I climbed a little and now all I encounter is that netdecked Spell ST swim deck, spy NG and a plethora of discard SK types

it was fun climbing but it's just miserable right now, hopefully there are new modes/more information about Thronebreaker soon!

Inevitablelongshot
Mar 26, 2010

fromsinkingsands posted:

I've had a lot of success with Eredin Weather Deck + a mixture of unconventional cards.

https://imgur.com/a/HPBjL

Vesemir Gold + Expired Ale really throws people off, especially if you have the luxury of using it in the 3rd round with card advantage or second turn.

I think Cyclops is a really underrated card due to the potential of very high removal, as you find a lot of meta decks running cards that boost over time or take advantage of spies.

I also love She-Troll + Rotfiend combo. Basically the idea is to try to make sure you never draw a Rotfiend and keep that in your deck. When you're dropping a bunch of weather down, players will more than likely start stacking cards on the row without weather, or on one row to avoid Drowners. 9/10 once I drop this combo the player will immediately look at the She-Troll card as if they'd never seen it before. It's beautiful. Highest I racked up with this combo was 28 which is quite the swing in the later rounds.

I played a similar deck last season with some success.

Could I suggest Iris? If you have a row with frost and horseman and no enemy units, dropping Iris is 25 points that the opponent can't counter, 29 the next turn if you also have Caretaker in hand. Even if you have to kill her yourself, you have so many ways to damage the opposite rows with this deck.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I played Avallac'h: The Sage against somebody today and nothing happened. I could hear the sad trombone in my head. :negative:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Just had a match where the other player only made their plays with 10 on the timer during the first two rounds. At least he conceded on the third one.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

So I’ve found it really hard to keep winning without using my go to/ non meta deck of longships and greatswords. I’m at rank 16 atm. How long do you think I can keep this up?

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Around 4k MMR is the point at which you definitely need to be winning more games than you lose in order to progress. You can probably make it to rank 17, maybe 18, easily enough with any decent homebrew deck. As you climb, you'll start to see more and more optimized netdecks, though, so that will affect your win rate, as well as losing more points for game losses and earning fewer for game wins, so the combination makes it harder to keep climbing without an optimal deck yourself.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I saw a lot of optimized netdecks at 2.6k MMR :argh:

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Up Circle posted:

+aglais
+idea mean
+saskia
-royal decree
-triss
-dudu

Up Circle posted:

if you have dol blathanna archers i'd take them over trappers, but that's just personal preference.

I ended up getting an animated Geralt: Aard in a keg, so I subbed him in for Triss instead of Aglais, and made the other changes you mentioned. You were right about the archers over trappers. Yeah, the trappers did 8-10 damage sometimes, but the times they did 0-2 were frustrating, and the ability to focus damage where needed is good. Deck currently stands as follows and is serving me well.

Leader:
Francesca

Bronze:
Elven Wardancer - 3
Blue Mountain Commando - 3
Vrihedd Officer - 3
Vrihedd Vanguard - 3
Dol Blathanna Archer - 2
Vrihedd Brigade - 1

Silver:
Decoy
Scorch
Ida Emean
Sarah
Barclay Els
Cleaver

Gold:
Saskia
Geralt: Aard
Avallac'h: The Sage
Saesenthessis

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I have to say, I love Veteran Spam Skellige. Watching numbers get bigger on your hand, deck and field is way more interesting than just resurrecting things over and over :v:

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

So I've been loving around with a weird dwarven agitator/Mahakam Marrauder/farseer/Mahakam ale/ale of the ancestors. It's amazing when it works and you can start buffing for an extra 10+ points each round. I also have fun with yennifer because unicorn boosts double and marrauders are immune to chironex.

There's definitely a reason no one is playing this though. I keep tweaking it, but it's just not consistent. You can get an absurd engine going if the round goes long and you can keep your marrauders on the board, but there's just so much big removal in the meta right now that it's really hard to keep them on the board. Plus Eredin frost can shut down ancestor froth immediately. It works the other way too and you can get the froth back by moving it (Zoltan is good for this), but they often can just frost again.

Basically it's a lot like the problem Henselt has where you can get one really good round out, but then you've sort of shot your wad.

I like weird combo decks, but I'll probably stick with handbuff because it's actually good (if a little predictable) and involves way less aggravation.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Swim was playing that deck a few days ago and he made the point that good bronzes are worth about 13 points on average (it is known) so Marauders have to be buffed a couple of times before they even get up to par. So generally speaking, if your deck's bronzes aren't giving you at least 13 points of value you're playing a bad deck.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Gwent Open tournament is live right now

https://www.twitch.tv/cdprojektred

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

that was pretty good

I hate Dijkstra so seeing that get hosed by Guardian was :allears:

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Lmao at the tit bounce animation on ves though Jesus Christ

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

The double gold dream. Time to start hoarding for the next patch.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I'm continuing to polish my mulligan elf deck. I'm here so far: http://tinyurl.com/ycwc4m2j

Thoughts?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Had a great game the other day where the guy was running a consume unseen elder deck against my henselt machines. I had no way of neutralizing the big guy which he'd strengthened to something stupid and he was ahead by a round so I thought I was buggered as I was something dumb like 60 behind. All I had left was hanmarvyns blue dream, henselt, and some lovely blanks like a light cavalry and a witch hunter

Imagine my surprise when he throws out a succubus just to rub it in, then imagine me pissing myself as I henselt into a machine to kill the succubus then revive it with blue dream to steal his loving leader card from under him.

Moral of the story is sometimes it's good to not be a dick lol. Blue dream is such a fun card when you get a good opportunity but I guess probably too situational to be any use to the big top league optimal decks.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

That makes me wonder if there's something to a dimeritium bomb/muzzle combo.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Whats the general strategy to a spy control deck? I have almost all the nilfgaard cards and made a pretty good deck but can't seem to win most games with it. Any advice?

http://gwentify.com/decks/spy-control-deck/

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Your bronzes look fine and so do the silvers but I would probably replace Auckes with Roach, Iris, or Peter. Roach is fine to play even without Assire, Iris is a bomb though harder to use this season than last due to what feels like a lot more counter/removal effects being in the meta (so you have to time her well), and Peter is great against the Spell Ale and Nekker netdecks which seem to be everywhere at the moment.

As for the golds, Letho is simply a bad card, which is a shame because the effect is fun (especially with Fringilla). I haven't played Spies for a while but I see Vilgefortz used a lot lately and that's what I would pick.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

PS+ people get 50% off Meteorite Powder in the early access Black Friday deals, if you were thinking you wanted more movie cards.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Seedge posted:

PS+ people get 50% off Meteorite Powder in the early access Black Friday deals, if you were thinking you wanted more movie cards.

I can't figure out when this deal expires. Any clue?

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

It's available for everyone from Friday, but most BF stuff ends on Monday.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

:wow:

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Heh, the how is even better:

https://clips.twitch.tv/UglyBusyBadgerDxCat

Pumpkin was playing a comedy Fringilla deck and had a VMedic'd Vran eating its way through his row of Fringilla'd units. It was 693-121 after Pumpkin's last play, then Bainez dropped a Dudu and copied Pumpkin's 328-point Vran. The Vran then ate a 128-point Ceallach, and Bainez then Summoning Circled his Dudu next turn and copied the now 492-point Vran again.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Kalko posted:

Your bronzes look fine and so do the silvers but I would probably replace Auckes with Roach, Iris, or Peter. Roach is fine to play even without Assire, Iris is a bomb though harder to use this season than last due to what feels like a lot more counter/removal effects being in the meta (so you have to time her well), and Peter is great against the Spell Ale and Nekker netdecks which seem to be everywhere at the moment.

As for the golds, Letho is simply a bad card, which is a shame because the effect is fun (especially with Fringilla). I haven't played Spies for a while but I see Vilgefortz used a lot lately and that's what I would pick.

Thanks for the advice. I used to run one anti weather card and one anti lock card in every deck just for versatility but I can replace auckes if you think its better to play something else. I also liked keeping Letho and Menno for the end of the game so I could essentially kill off their two biggest cards but they’re essentially useless by themselves.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

So I've been thinking, is rarity even needed? All golds are legendary and all silvers are epic, which means the only time rarity and type are different in the game is common vs rare bronzes. The only purpose this serves is to allow for bronzes in the 5th card choice when opening a keg while still guaranteeing a rare or higher card. Would it be a big change to the value of kegs to eliminate rarity entirely, and have kegs give a fifth card that's guaranteed to be gold, silver, or animated bronze?

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

rydiafan posted:

So I've been thinking, is rarity even needed? All golds are legendary and all silvers are epic, which means the only time rarity and type are different in the game is common vs rare bronzes. The only purpose this serves is to allow for bronzes in the 5th card choice when opening a keg while still guaranteeing a rare or higher card. Would it be a big change to the value of kegs to eliminate rarity entirely, and have kegs give a fifth card that's guaranteed to be gold, silver, or animated bronze?

Dat's alot of meteorite powder to be refined for convertng golds, considering how many kegs you get for little effort in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

ughhh