Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'd recommend it to anyone who didn't think Funny Games was bleak enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Black Butterfly's third act twist is a steaming summer tarmac of bullshit - and it has the audacity to punch down even further with an epilogue twist, but for the most part I just can't help but like it because the much more straightforward thriller that precedes it is consistently grueling.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

precision posted:

I watched that Jim and Andy thing on Netflix. It's... okay. It did the basic job of a movie, holding my attention, but it definitely didn't have anything terribly interesting in it, and was pretty much just a weird "old man Jim Carrey reflects on how he's so totally similar to Andy Kaufman".

Comedians using Andy Kaufman as a comparison point conveys about as much meaning as youtube comments stating that "They MUST have been high when they made this"

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I read the description and figured it was just Jim Carrey thinking back to the brief high point in his career.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hat Thoughts posted:

Comedians using Andy Kaufman as a comparison point conveys about as much meaning as youtube comments stating that "They MUST have been high when they made this"

Lmao.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Looks like Great Wall is up on HBOGO now, looking forward to checking that out and either being really drunk by the end of it or just turning it off halfway through. We'll see how it goes.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

How are the shows Chance and Taboo? Both look to have good actors and premise. I’ve watched about an episode of each, I am just wondering which one pans out and is worth watching? Need a new show to watch.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Chance Season 1 is really good mostly because of Ethan Suplee's enigmatic character.

Edit: Holy poo poo I just discovered that season 2 is on Hulu!

Double holy poo poo, also found that Travelers season 2 is airing on Canada's Showcase with it debuting on Netflix Dec 23rd.

These 2 definitely snuck up on me.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Nov 21, 2017

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

What is travelers is it good

Is it about.. time travelers

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Yeah Travelers is good. Better than it ought to be, really. The first episode was a little bit hokey but by the 3rd I was pretty hooked.

Basically instead of travelling through time as a complete entity only the consciousness of individuals can travel. A secret task force uses the tech to save the future/prevent crime blah blah blah

isaboo fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Nov 21, 2017

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

i wish dollhouse was still a show

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Are there any good Bollywood movies/musicals on Netflix?

I watched "A Flying Jatt" on a whim, and it's odd. It's essentially a Captain Planet episode and Sikh history lesson rolled into a Bollywood superhero movie. I enjoyed parts of it, but on the whole it's much too long.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Robot and Baahubali 1 and 2 are legit excellent genre films and Netflix should still have Dangal if you want something more serious and down to earth.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

pahuyuth posted:

Yeah Travelers is good. Better than it ought to be, really. The first episode was a little bit hokey but by the 3rd I was pretty hooked.

Basically instead of travelling through time as a complete entity only the consciousness of individuals can travel. A secret task force uses the tech to save the future/prevent crime blah blah blah

Oh, they finally made a Trancers TV series?

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

A MIRACLE posted:

Not empty quoting.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

A MIRACLE posted:

Dollhouse was fun but holy poo poo the radical shift to a post-apocalyptic setting was so jarring I kind of lost interest in the last season and never finished it.

Also, Stranger Things Season 2 was mediocre and kinda flailing all over the place with extra characters and superfluous plotlines. Not as jazzed about this series going forward as I was going into it. Who wants to take bets on Kali/Eight becoming Eleven's arch nemesis or something?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Blind Rasputin posted:

How are the shows Chance and Taboo? Both look to have good actors and premise. I’ve watched about an episode of each, I am just wondering which one pans out and is worth watching? Need a new show to watch.

Both are great shows. Both are pretty dark, Taboo I'd really slow but a period piece.

I'm actually enjoying Chance season 2 more than 1, and I loved season 1.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

LogisticEarth posted:

Dollhouse was fun but holy poo poo the radical shift to a post-apocalyptic setting was so jarring I kind of lost interest in the last season and never finished it.

I always felt like this happened because he was told his show was being cancelled and to wrap it up however which way he could.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

LogisticEarth posted:

Also, Stranger Things Season 2 was mediocre and kinda flailing all over the place with extra characters and superfluous plotlines. Not as jazzed about this series going forward as I was going into it. Who wants to take bets on Kali/Eight becoming Eleven's arch nemesis or something?

Disclaimer: I *really* liked season 2. But at the same time I would have been okay with them True Detective-ing it and giving us an entirely separate story with different characters

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

A MIRACLE posted:

Disclaimer: I *really* liked season 2. But at the same time I would have been okay with them True Detective-ing it and giving us an entirely separate story with different characters

They don't even have to do that. Eleven's psychic powers make it pretty easy to figure out a way to throw the gang into another extraordinary situation. It doesn't necessarily have to be directly connected to the Upside Down. I'm hoping maybe they'll go that route for Season 3 but I doubt it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

A MIRACLE posted:

Frankly I'd be okay with the show dropping the supernatural stuff and just being a totally rad 80s kid adventure story.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

A MIRACLE posted:

It's certainly the most interesting thing Whedon's ever produced, in the sense that it's this huge sprawling study of exploitation, slavery, disproportionate power dynamics, and guilt. Be kind of awkward now, though. :v:

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

A MIRACLE posted:

I kinda wished they had gone in that direction. Right now it seems like they've played everyone out. Eleven especially. They're turning her into a bit of a Mary Sue, who can now pop in and out of The Upside Down almost at will, doing it like a dozen or more times this season, most of them trivially. She then closes a interdimensional rift and defeats a Lovecraftian monster by yelling at it.

Even right off the bat, the major cliffhanger with Eleven from Season 1 is resolved almost right away, with her finding a deus-ex-machina of a rift right in the highschool and popping right back out into the world.

Like, where do we go from here? They're obviously lining something up with Kali, but that's risking turning it into I Love the 80's: Superhero Teen Edition. The cosmic horror/X-files stuff was always more interesting. I'd like to see more storytelling about the world of Stranger Things, not the characters, which as (intentionally, and correctly) designed are kind of schlocky 80s stereotypes that we already know.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

LogisticEarth posted:

Even right off the bat, the major cliffhanger with Eleven from Season 1 is resolved almost right away, with her finding a deus-ex-machina of a rift right in the highschool and popping right back out into the world.

I think that bothered me the most, why would Hopper bother putting egos in the woods if the whereabouts of Eleven were unknown

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Robot isn't a movie. Indian Blockbuster films are more a remix of 4-8 films of different subjects and scope made to be as long as possible and deliver something for everyone as it's supposed to be for the entire family to watch.
So it's 10%for the kids, 10%for mom, 10% grandpa and so on.
Mix in a few music videos and have it be directed by a club dj instead of a driven director

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Speaking of Indian blockbusters, more people need to check out the Bahubali films. They are batshit insane but the budget is really big so they're really unlike any normal blockbuster you've seen. They're up on U.S. Netflix.

Just as a small taste of the ridiculousness:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcKG2qyW4YI

(No real meaningful spoilers)

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Nov 21, 2017

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

LogisticEarth posted:

I kinda wished they had gone in that direction. Right now it seems like they've played everyone out. Eleven especially. They're turning her into a bit of a Mary Sue, who can now pop in and out of The Upside Down almost at will, doing it like a dozen or more times this season, most of them trivially. She then closes a interdimensional rift and defeats a Lovecraftian monster by yelling at it.

Like, where do we go from here? They're obviously lining something up with Kali, but that's risking turning it into I Love the 80's: Superhero Teen Edition. The cosmic horror/X-files stuff was always more interesting. I'd like to see more storytelling about the world of Stranger Things, not the characters, which as (intentionally, and correctly) designed are kind of schlocky 80s stereotypes that we already know.

To be a pedantic nerd for a moment:

Eleven isn't a Mary Sue, that is a term for self-insert character who are good at everything which is not the case with her. Is Luke Skywalker a Mary Sue because he learns to use the Force, is a great pilot, and blows up the Death Star?

She can't go into the Upside-Down, what you're talking about is the void she can enter while looking for people, it's been something she was able to do in season 1 and she's had a year to practice doing it without the need for a total sensory deprivation tank. There were hints at this in season 1, when Eleven tried using the ham radio to contact Will.

She used the gate that the Demogorgan tore in the wall at the end of season 1 to escape. They take time to close, as shown multiple times in season 1, such as when Nancy and Jonathan are in the woods looking around and Nancy spots one in a tree and crawls through. And Eleven used her telekinesis abilities to make it larger, which sets up her being able to close the gate at the end of season 2. She can't make a gate, but she can make an open one bigger or close it. Maybe she can open them in season 3, who knows, but right now all she is shown to do is widen/close the ones that are already open.

Plus, at the end of the season the Mind Flayer is still very much there and very much trying to get into the real world. It's stalking Will and possibly Eleven, it's just unable (or isn't ready to) open a new gate and try again. Where will it go, I can't answer because I'm not on the writing team. But they've been very open about the show having a set time limit and I imagine they have worked on a broad outline of where they want to go with the story they want to tell. Let's hope it's not another Lost situation.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

DorianGravy posted:

but on the whole it's much too long.

this is the truth about every bollywood movie

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

ketchup vs catsup posted:

this is the truth about every bollywood movie

Haha yea that's the truth. Each Bahubali movie is like 2hrs 30mins+

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Three Idiots was a good Bollywood movie but idk if it’s streaming anywhere

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Amazon Prime has Space Amoeba, a fairly rare Toho kaiju film from 1970- it was on DVD briefly but that's long out of print and sells for too much money.

Sadly it's not that good. It was the first FX film did after Tsubaraya died (Godzilla's Revenge being mostly clips), and the SFX director did kind of an uneven job. The plot is weirdly fragmented and undeveloped in places too. Still, it's good to be able to see this at all.

Also footage of this featured in the video for MInistry's New World Order. (Unfortunately I can't find any version of it that isn't someone's original edit.)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

To be a pedantic nerd for a moment:

Eleven isn't a Mary Sue, that is a term for self-insert character who are good at everything which is not the case with her. Is Luke Skywalker a Mary Sue because he learns to use the Force, is a great pilot, and blows up the Death Star?

Yes he is.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Junkie Disease posted:

Robot isn't a movie. Indian Blockbuster films are more a remix of 4-8 films of different subjects and scope made to be as long as possible and deliver something for everyone as it's supposed to be for the entire family to watch.
So it's 10%for the kids, 10%for mom, 10% grandpa and so on.
Mix in a few music videos and have it be directed by a club dj instead of a driven director

The official term is Masala Film.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

Yes he is.

George Luke-us

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Steve Yun posted:

Yes he is.

All media is trash when you really think about it....

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Mary Sue characters are a staple of fiction and like anything else they have their uses, like when you're doing a classic hero's journey story. Not every character has to be flawed.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The term Mary Sue loses a LOT outside of fanfiction, where it's specifically you inserting your Original Character Do Not Steal into a licensed universe and they're better than the heroes at everything and they can't believe how good this new person is, and half the characters fall in love with them, etc.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Luke Skywalker is a good use of a Mary Sue character because the first film tells him he's special and he does things better than almost everyone else, etc. And then after you've lured in the audience with this candy-coated bait you pull the rug out from under the audience and throw cold water on them.

Same goes for Harry Potter.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
You're conflating Mary Sue with the prototypical hero archetype. The main character of a story being special is a concept as old as storytelling itself. Is Gilgimesh a Mary Sue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

You're conflating Mary Sue with the prototypical hero archetype. The main character of a story being special is a concept as old as storytelling itself. Is Gilgimesh a Mary Sue?

Yes