Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

ilmucche posted:

Why do players constantly change weapons? Isn't there a chance, however small, that you'll get caught without a weapon ready when you constantly change?

A small mental reset every time you switch from your knife back to your rifle

Also ADHD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

VP still stuck in ESEA Premier after losing 0-2 to Space Soldiers using their back-up player.

:allears:

Big L
Oct 30, 2005

Fedora Emelianenko
They're saving strats for the Major :negative:

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Bought a Kazakhstan flag for Gambit at IEM Oakland. Now I just have a Kazakhstan flag... It's sort of like buying a sticker for a lovely pick em but more of a burden.

And maybe more obviously a bad choice from the beginning but vOv. Prepped for them to make some bay area LAN in the future~

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Push El Burrito posted:

How do you do cool jumps onto things if you unbind crouch?

Edit: I don't follow the pro scene as much as I used to but why is VP losing to a team called Space Soldiers?

bind jump and crouch together. whenever you jump, you automatically crouch

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
So I've got about 12 hours of this game under my belt, haven't tried competitive yet but have played some demolition and casual. As a UK goon I seem to keep getting piled in with Eastern Europeans/Russians, making communication... difficult. I have little illusions about becoming a superstar but I'm enjoying myself, though hesitant to commit to a proper game if I'm gonna spend the whole time being a cyka blyat.

Any UK based people playing this that are up for teaching this noob to be less bad or laughing at my shitness? I've joined the Sub.io Steam group (GirlInAHat).

Edit (i am almost certainly a cyka blyat)

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

You can region block https://gamebanana.com/tools/5684 and get far less russians who I assume outside of their gamers are a lovely people

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Thanks, not an issue at all playing DM or Arms Race with Russians etc for me but more team based stuff would be nice to have an idea of what is going on.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
It's really not my scene, but I'm seriously rooting for NiP to take down SK. G'wan, for the nostalgia.

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.

Jeza posted:

It's really not my scene, but I'm seriously rooting for NiP to take down SK. G'wan, for the nostalgia.

I want to see them do it so that get_right will make more awesome faces for the camera

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeee git fukt SK.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
yeeeee the boys

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Jeza posted:

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeee git fukt SK.

TACOs so bad. 28-49 in 76 rounds.

Happy NiP won.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Is it possible to get punishment-muted like it is in dota. What is the point of "aubsive text/voice chat" reports if not.

RATS!
Dec 23, 2008

drunken officeparty posted:

Is it possible to get punishment-muted like it is in dota. What is the point of "aubsive text/voice chat" reports if not.

its so you feel better about spending an entire game getting racial slurs yelled at you by a pepe av 16 year old

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
The Abusive Voice/Text Chat report literally does nothing iirc. It doesn't send anything to Overwatch, anyways.

yolandi
Jul 3, 2014

To the :c00l:
NiP :patriot:

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
:sweden:

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I got back into cs like a week ago after a ten year break. Game is actually fun and I appreciate the matchmaking setting me up with people of similar lack of skill.

So much poo poo I need to do to get better and the OP guide is really spot on. I ranked in at gold nova 1 and yeah. Most of my deaths are "uh why did I do that?" (Or lovely teammates not communicating)

I like that I keep getting better the more I work at my flaws. Like right now I'm working on positioning and nades. Wish I could try to get better at comms but I live with someone so I can't really scream into a mic all night. Need to work on that when she's not home.

Also need a new mouse pad and I probably really really need to change my mouse speed.

Goal is to get high enough rank to actually play with my friends and colleagues. Apparently you can't do competitive with friends unless your ranks are similar?

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Just emotionless-robot voice your comms, problem solved.
Also, If you get a 5-stack for matchmaking it lets you ignore rank restrictions. The big thing will likely be that you'll want to play enough to get the requirement for Prime MM if you haven't, basically you link your account to a phone and it (sort of) helps discourage hackers. Everybody in the queue has to have it to be able to play with it.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
The only caveat is that the matchmaking system will weigh heaviest on the highest rank in your party, so if you're a group of Novas and you queue up with a LEM you'll likely meet a team of LE/LEMs

Affi posted:

Wish I could try to get better at comms but I live with someone so I can't really scream into a mic all night. Need to work on that when she's not home.

Your heart is in the right place but since you're likely NA I think it's appropriate to remind you that you don't actually need to scream or repeat the same thing half a dozen times, which might make late night gaming more palatable for your significant other, even though short, concise and reasonably volumed calls goes against everything your culture and society teaches you

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Just be that guy who has a baby crying on their lap and their wife shouting in the background, seems to work for plenty of people.

e: or that person who seems to be playing CS:GO during a house party

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
My favorite was a russian guy who whispered the entire game, because "Shhhh, baby sleeping"

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Bohemian Nights posted:

The only caveat is that the matchmaking system will weigh heaviest on the highest rank in your party, so if you're a group of Novas and you queue up with a LEM you'll likely meet a team of LE/LEMs

Your heart is in the right place but since you're likely NA I think it's appropriate to remind you that you don't actually need to scream or repeat the same thing half a dozen times, which might make late night gaming more palatable for your significant other, even though short, concise and reasonably volumed calls goes against everything your culture and society teaches you

I'm European but I live in a small apartment. .

What is the mm thing?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Speaking of nothing, I tried the wingman mode for the first time a couple of days ago, and it's surprisingly fun! It's a good middle ground between casual and matchmaking, but it also made me really miss a 3v3 and 4v4 mode. I remember back in the day when matchmaking was going on IRC and hoping that you could hook up with someone who had a server, 3v3's and 4v4's was a common thing people played on the regular maps, it didn't need the gimped wingman versions (which are actually decent) to work.

If valve ever adds a good version of casual (lol), I'd be real neat if they'd also consider giving you the option to choose team sizes

Affi posted:

What is the mm thing?

I'm not sure what you're asking, here! Unless it's that MM is short for matchmaking

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Bohemian Nights posted:

If valve ever adds a good version of casual (lol), I'd be real neat if they'd also consider giving you the option to choose team sizes

This would be great, 10v10 can be too chaotic, casual 5v5 would be cool.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

NonzeroCircle posted:

10v10 just means I get 5 more kills every round!

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"

NonzeroCircle posted:

Welcome to goonman.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
there is nothing casual about goonman

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
7v7 and 16v16 16K are the two best types of casual

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
I honestly think once games get larger than 5v5 you might as well just dm or practice offline maps.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Bohemian Nights posted:

I'm not sure what you're asking, here! Unless it's that MM is short for matchmaking

No the Prime MM? The gently caress is that?

Also just thanks to the advice in the OP Ive been doing really really well on my level the last few games. The buy scheme for the first round or really even the "Ask yourself why you died" thing. (Mouse sensitivity too)

What is the best way to practice aim though? I am really bad with the AK, just do loads of DM? I am afraid that will make me sloppy again.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

E: ^^^ Basically all it is is what I said, you register your account to a phone number, only one account can be registered to the number, essentially an attempt to discourage people from hacking/just getting new accounts when they're banned for hacking:
http://counterstrike.wikia.com/wiki/Prime_Account_Matchmaking#Prime_Account_Matchmaking

Also, for aim practice, if you're familiar with the game which I think you said you are:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=796681889

Specifically the first 4 maps in that collection. (If you want to practice smokes the nade maps are p-good although those versions might be old I haven't done a pruning/updating of the items in there in a while, and the yprac prefire maps are good for practicing common spots people to sit in on maps. Yprac has been cranking out practice maps lately, and they're generally all pretty good)

A TURGID FATSO posted:

I honestly think once games get larger than 5v5 you might as well just dm or practice offline maps.

fite me and 11 other dudes on de_piranesi :getin:

surc fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Nov 21, 2017

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
My problem with the "ask yourself why you died" thing is my answer is always "the other guys are loving cheating!"

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I saw a guy with 760+ ping break even in tdm earlier. Making my crosshair smaller earlier has made a decent difference to my aim, definitely getting more headshots.

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

Push El Burrito posted:

My problem with the "ask yourself why you died" thing is my answer is always "the other guys are loving cheating!"

Play like they aren’t cheating and they just have incredible gamesense + aim

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
jesus christ that nip v faze game is like the cs major final i've been waiting for the past year, get_right spiking his earbuds at the end is exactly how i felt.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Shortdust on wingman has been surprisingly lot of fun. Inferno and cobble less so.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

SealHammer posted:

jesus christ that nip v faze game is like the cs major final i've been waiting for the past year, get_right spiking his earbuds at the end is exactly how i felt.

Xizt went big on that. Just some of the craziest shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Now I'm watching the north/astralis game at blastpro and I don't think I've ever seen production quality this embarrassingly bad. Apple overlay that is ugly, distracting, and laggy, and a victory card that lags out and covers the whole screen for an entire round. Yikes!!!