Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
the best part is there's not even any of the usual chickenshit pragmatic reasons to avoid doing the right thing

it's just pure, naked defense of power from consequence at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

i dont think franken should resign

hell i dont think he should have signed in the first place

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Cerebral Bore posted:

I kinda have to respect JC's determination to go for the dumbest take possible even when the self-evident fact that resignation and investigation aren't mutually exclusive has been explained to him in no uncertain terms.

I mean, that’s exactly what I’m advocating, so maybe learn to read? They should investigate and then he should resign.

If you’re not part of the nothing matters senate investigations are pointless and absurd crew then we’re fully in agreement.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Calibanibal posted:

i dont think franken should resign

hell i dont think he should have signed in the first place

:golfclap:

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

JeffersonClay posted:

I mean, that’s exactly what I’m advocating, so maybe learn to read? They should investigate and then he should resign.

If you’re not part of the nothing matters senate investigations are pointless and absurd crew then we’re fully in agreement.

But get this: What if he resigned first, and then they investigated?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

sirtommygunn posted:

Kinda baffled that he still missed this pretty obvious idea, even when saying that Franken should resign regardless of the result of the investigation.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
that would deny him another invocation of the Process

surely, this time, republicans will start respecting the Process

surely, this time, republicans will be cowed by their hypocrisy

surely, this time, Lucy will let him kick the football

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

sirtommygunn posted:

Then maybe the investigation doesn’t happen. If it does still happen, it’s probably a lot less of a media spectacle. When people gently caress up and get found out, they resign in order to avoid additional scrutiny. It’s certainly not self evident that strategy has stopped working.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
the true feminist, who holds a sexual assault investigation hostage in exchange for the seat of a sexual assaulter

bellissimo

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
It's not self evident that my strategy has stopped working says man who's been wrong about everything for the past two years.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Cerebral Bore posted:

It's not self evident that my strategy has stopped working says man who's been wrong about everything for the past two years.

Try seven.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Cerebral Bore posted:

It’s not my strategy, idiot, it’s the strategy employed by some public officials whose embarrassing behavior has been uncovered. They resign, rather than fighting to the end, because they want to avoid some of the negative media attention.

In this case, negative media attention for Franken is good, so I don’t want him to avoid it, even in part, by resigning.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

He must not resign so he can be brought to justice (and then he'll resign). This is a novel approach, I must say.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

JeffersonClay posted:

It’s the opposite, I think the optics would certainly be better for democrats if Franken resigns now rather than after a long, embarrassing investigation. I just think the long, embarrassing investigation might be useful in dismantling misogyny.

JeffersonClay posted:

Concluding democrats won’t have any additional leverage in that situation because nothing matters might not be a genius take. There’s no downside if it happens, just the risk that maybe it won’t matter.

So wait, is this about fighting misogyny or giving Democrats leverage?

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Helsing posted:

So wait, is this about fighting misogyny or giving Democrats leverage?

It’s about fighting misogyny, and one aspect of fighting involves giving democrats more leverage.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

JeffersonClay posted:

It’s about fighting misogyny, and one aspect of fighting involves giving democrats more leverage.

...by protecting misogyny.

sometimes you just gotta go out there and call anita hill a lying whore, to preserve the democrats' leverage on... says here "welfare reform?" weird.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
The thread’s dumb enough without you intentionally misreading it, ze pollack.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

you never heard the phrase "fight misogyny with misogyny"? :smug:

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Here folks, just print this out, put it on your fridge and fill in the blank as necessary. You never need to read a JC post again.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -cut on this line - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

JeffersonClay posted:

It’s about fighting _______________, and one aspect of fighting involves giving democrats more leverage.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -cut on this line - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Condiv posted:

you never heard the phrase "fight misogyny with misogyny"? :smug:

It’s weird that you think senate investigations are misogyny. It’s weird that others think giving democrats more leverage to fight misogyny is a bad thing.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

People are dunking on you because this entire conversation is the most ridiculous kind of castle-in-the-sky 13th dimensional chess none-sense imaginable and you just come off as disingenuous.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
“Politicians resign to avoid additional negative scrutiny, and negative scrutiny is helpful in fighting misogyny” is 13th dimensional chess to y’all? I don’t think I can dumb the ideas down any more than that, but thanks for being honest about your needs. I’m willing to try harder if it will help y’all stop dunking on yourselves with brilliant takes like “senate investigations are misogyny” and “democrats shouldn’t get more leverage to investigate sexual crimes”.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

JeffersonClay posted:

“Politicians resign to avoid additional negative scrutiny, and negative scrutiny is helpful in fighting misogyny” is 13th dimensional chess to y’all? I don’t think I can dumb the ideas down any more than that, but thanks for being honest about your needs. I’m willing to try harder if it will help y’all stop dunking on yourselves with brilliant takes like “senate investigations are misogyny” and “democrats shouldn’t get more leverage to investigate sexual crimes”.
So are you saying that it would be personally smart for Al Franken to resign immediately, but he's forcing people to run an investigation that will inevitably end not in his favor as a personal sacrifice for the greater good? It seems a lot more likely to me that someone would argue Franken should force people to run an investigation in the hope that there's no hard evidence or that people will lose interest and Franken will be able to avoid resigning at all. Like it's not the case that Congress could reject Franken's resignation if he thought resigning was in his best interests.

twodot fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Nov 21, 2017

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009
You guys are still talking about Franken? We're like 3 Democrats further than Franken now, that was last week's news. Now we're talking about the 264 victims of systematic sexual abuse and coverup in Congress.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

NathanScottPhillips posted:

You guys are still talking about Franken? We're like 3 Democrats further than Franken now, that was last week's news. Now we're talking about the 264 victims of systematic sexual abuse and coverup in Congress.

nah, latest news is trump coming out as pro-pedophile roy moore

how's that "the storm is coming" workin' out for ya, buddy

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

Ze Pollack posted:

nah, latest news is trump coming out as pro-pedophile roy moore

how's that "the storm is coming" workin' out for ya, buddy
That's a lie, there are no pedophiles in government. You guys told me so.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
But you see, if we just get Congress to investigate itself then everything will be solved.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

That's a lie, there are no pedophiles in government. You guys told me so.

you should probably read up on this roy moore character! groping fourteen-year-olds outside their moms' custody hearings, getting kicked out of alabama malls in the 1980s. it's some pretty impressive stuff.

oh yeah, also trump endorsed him today

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
I think it would almost certainly be better for Franken, personally, if he resigned now. He wants an investigation because he thinks it will vindicate him, which seems very unlikely. I’m happy to let him have the investigation because I think a big public spectacle about sexual harassment and assault culminating in his resignation or removal has some benefits that we wouldn’t get if he just resigns right now for his family or whatever.

Franken not resigning is a mistake for him and his family, and maybe for the democrats generally, but it’s a mistake I’m happy to let him make.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Ze Pollack posted:

you should probably read up on this roy moore character! groping fourteen-year-olds outside their moms' custody hearings, getting kicked out of alabama malls in the 1980s. it's some pretty impressive stuff.

tbh, i wouldn't be surprised if trump likes fourteen-year-olds too

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

Ze Pollack posted:

Sorry Newsweek told me there are no pedophiles in government they just really like eating cheese pizza.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Sorry Newsweek told me there are no pedophiles in government they just really like eating cheese pizza.

looks like trump agrees, friend. and wishes to change that state of affairs. what's your take on the situation

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

Ze Pollack posted:

looks like trump agrees, friend. and wishes to change that state of affairs. what's your take on the situation
Unlike you, I'm not a partisan ideological hack so I can experience schadenfreude when people on both sides of the isle are outed as sexual predators. Your mistake is thinking we are at the end, friend, we have only just ordered the pizza.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Unlike you, I'm not a partisan ideological hack so I can experience schadenfreude when people on both sides of the isle are outed as sexual predators. Your mistake is thinking we are at the end, friend, we have only just ordered the pizza.

it is fascinating watching the Obama disillusionment happening to Trump voters in real time

the same desperate hope that no, really, THIS TIME authority's going to live up to my fantasies and do what my fantasy version of them would do, any day now he's going to sweep through washington like a scourge, and get rid of all the scum I hate. he's going to cash in all that political capital he's been building up for the last dozen times he disappointed us, and ring in a thousand years as god-emperor with it.

except for liberals it was him selling out the public option, and for trump voters it's him endorsing a pedophile

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

Ze Pollack posted:

it is fascinating watching the Obama disillusionment happening to Trump voters in real time

the same desperate hope that no, really, THIS TIME authority's going to live up to my fantasies and do what my fantasy version of them would do, any day now he's going to sweep through washington like a scourge, and get rid of all the scum I hate. he's going to cash in all that political capital he's been building up for the last dozen times he disappointed us, and ring in a thousand years as god-emperor with it.

except for liberals it was him selling out the public option, and for trump voters it's him endorsing a pedophile
Sorry for calling you a partisan hack it's obvious by your post history you are not. Other than that I don't think we have much to chat about but I'm sure you'll keep following me to try it out anyways.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
I hope you're not really trying to defend pizzagate, but in case you are I have to point out that it's always been most likely that pizzagate was a stupid conspiracy theory with no basis and nobody should have given it any attention AND that there are pedophiles in powerful political positions. Frankly I wasn't surprised when the brits found out about their pedophiles in power, I'd be even less surprised now to find another pedo coverup conspiracy at the top.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Futuresight posted:

I hope you're not really trying to defend pizzagate, but in case you are I have to point out that it's always been most likely that pizzagate was a stupid conspiracy theory with no basis and nobody should have given it any attention AND that there are pedophiles in powerful political positions. Frankly I wasn't surprised when the brits found out about their pedophiles in power, I'd be even less surprised now to find another pedo coverup conspiracy at the top.

nah, he is. while in this thread we are most familiar with the liberal versions of trump derangement syndrome- louise mensch, eric garland, etc- the Extremely Online trump supporters have built their own fanfictional universe to avoid the crushing disappointments of the real one.

in this world, trump and whichever member of the supporting cast had the least recent public embarrassment are engaged in a shadow war with the Deep State, an organization of satanic pedophiles dedicated to preventing him from accomplishing anything at all costs. victory against this boogeyman is forever just one AMAZING REVELATION, one coded message to rise up away, at which point he will reveal his master plan, lock everyone who has ever hurt a conservative's feelings up, and finally get around to making america great again. when he goes on a bizarre tangent about whatever he saw on Fox and Friends five minutes ago, that's not a senile idiot repeating what the screen just told him. it's a call to arms for the faithful!

american exceptionalism is a hell of a drug, it turns out. anything, to avoid confronting the reality of the president of the united states, Leader Of The Free World, being a demented fey socialite with the attention span of a toddler.

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

JeffersonClay posted:

“democrats shouldn’t get more leverage to investigate sexual crimes”.

It's this that people take issue with, you nitwit. You portrayed your original list as pragmatic reasons as to why Franken shouldn't resign and people rightly pointed out how fallacious and dumb this point is. Sure, the conversation has moved past that, but let's not forget what got us here.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
okay let's do the big al franken investigation

investigator: "al did you touch this woman against her consent"

frnakin: "yes"

investigator: "case closed kick his rapist rear end out"

done and done, get to stepping you rapist piece of trash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

C. Everett Koop posted:

okay let's do the big al franken investigation

investigator: "al did you touch this woman against her consent"

frnakin: "yes"

investigator: "case closed kick his rapist rear end out"

done and done, get to stepping you rapist piece of trash
You missed the part where we drag it out until late 2018 so Democrats can hem and haw about doing the right thing while Republicans cluck cluck about who the real feminists are.

It'll be worth it though. Because leverage. You know, that thing that requires your target have a sense of morality and justice?

• Locked thread