Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Combat Theory posted:

The State of Hawaii announces action to address predatory practices at Electronic Arts and other companies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_akwfRuL4os

hahahahahahahaha

They evoked Joe Camel when talking about microtransactions in video games.

EA has finally done something truly great.

Good work, everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Toops posted:

I literally think I called this one first.

Forums-people scatter into GBS and FYAD. The noonday sun beats down as two grizzled warlords size each other up, squinting across the now-deserted thread.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

CIG is like an ADD kid in a butterfly sanctuary.

They are always changing course to chase what seems to be the current moneymaking game model.

MMO's are popular, let's make an MMO.
Used cars are valuable, let's enable a used car marketplace.
Wait - hold on - now FPS is popular and MMOs are on the decline. Let's make an FPS instead.
Lootboxes make loads of money. Let's make trading boxes central to gameplay.
Real Estate never goes down in value, let's sell land.

By never having a real vision for a game, just a movie idea, they are always going to be well behind the curve and never actually complete any gameplay component that holds up against a game that has an idea and executes on that idea.

But as long as he gets to make the annual installment of The Making of Star Citizen (still in production per IMDB), he is happy.

The only thing that will put an end to it is a bank (or other emotionally disinterested investment group) going "gently caress you, Chris. Where's my money?".

I guess a class action suit would be theoretically possible, but the dollars are too low for most lawyers to deal with it, and the payout to citizens would be so small it would be tough to get a class certified.

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.

Golli posted:

The only thing that will put an end to it is a bank (or other emotionally disinterested investment group) going "gently caress you, Chris. Where's my money?".

I want this to actually happen, word for word, and for a video recording of it to be made public.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

The Titanic posted:

Do people remember stuff like the repair scaffolds and combing different materials together to repair and reinforce your hull? Repair robots to do it for you? That huge mining ship that was like the Dead Space ship in size or something?

Repair scaffolds? link please.

Closest I know is:

Could probably be on The Tracker more clearly. "Realistic ship damage" has more to do with how damage is applied than repair mechanics and visuals.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Lladre posted:

You should probate yourself for that one.
Workers burning to death because they were locked inside the factory is no joke.

That one was in pretty horrifically poor taste, yeah.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Quavers posted:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/spectrum-dispatch/16270-Claiming-Space-The-Race-For-Land

Claiming Space: The Race for Land

blah blah blah blah

Recently, there has been a major push to encourage the settlement and development of the Empire’s frontier. As part of this initiative, the PDB has been making additional parcels of land accessible to the public for purchase. It is believed by policymakers that as sectors become more developed, they likewise become more secure. Statistics from recent studies show that it is significantly harder for outlaws and Vanduul raiding parties to gain purchase in UEE-controlled systems when there are settlers and companies with vested interests in ensuring the protection of that territory. Combine this with Consolidated Outland’s recent introduction of a self-contained colonization platform, and many are expecting to see a new golden age of land development in the second half of the 30th century.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/7el28z/claiming_space_the_race_for_land/

So... who called this first?

:piss: they're really doing it lmao

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

"it's a lore post! it's a lore post!!", i continue to insist as i slowly watch evocati leaks and follow the lead up to the holiday sale

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.
MoMA, what's your position at CIG/RSI/[insert shell company here]?

You're not fooling anyone. Just come clean (unless you're not allowed to).

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

BluesShaman posted:

MoMA, what's your position at CIG/RSI/[insert shell company here]?

You're not fooling anyone. Just come clean (unless you're not allowed to).

It's all laid out plainly in his November cipher.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Golli posted:

It's all laid out plainly in his November cipher.

Who bothers to read his cleartext posts? I am certainly not doing a cipher unless I'm literally trying to stop an invading military. No Bletchley Parking about garbage non-games :colbert:

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Quavers posted:

So... who called this first?

10 for the Chairman: Episode 46
Nov 24 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXnNwUmnl3o

Q:
Is there a possibility that we get to choose our "home" on a planet. Let's say for instance that one has discovered a beautiful planet and decides that he/she wants to set up camp on that planet and live there. Can we build or buy our home or hangar and place it on the planet?

Chris Roberts:
We're definitely going to let you... ah... ah... acquire REAL ESTATE on... PLANETS or LOCATIONS... not sure if it's gonna be on every single one, you know, first it's gonna be on some of the more developed planets that we'll basically have hangars you can BUY or you know it'll be a PENTHOUSE APARTMENT or something with a view that you could get, um...

Longer term we wanna have the ability, I've talked about some of the procedural stuff, we'll have some new AREAS and PLANETS that people discover as they PUSH OUT and perhaps that planet is HABITABLE, there's a colony, a settlement that starts getting placed...

Also stumbled across this -
Star Citizen In Game Gambling
10 for the Chairman: Episode 39
Sep 29 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mTLWkxEEeo

Answer via http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/10_for_the_Chairman_Episode_39

Chris Roberts:
I would say that we definitely want to have some level of gambling, or a Las Vegas equivalent in UEE space, keeping with the idea of immersion. We'll probably at some point do some minigame stuff like poker or their own gambling style games. I'm not so sure it'll be in V1.0, just because we have SO much stuff to do, but that's definitely on the agenda/list. So you could fly around, go down to planets, if it's a seedy planet you might walk around and get mugged by some NPC, or maybe a gambling den etc. We'll do all we can to make space, planets and everything in between feel alive and real, so having different things you can do, like poker against other players, would add to that feeling.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
Interesting quote from Shroud of the Avatar site July 12 2016:

quote:

Please understand that final wipe is not “launch”. We will continue to be working to finish the game’s story content well past final wipe, while we remain in Early Access. Until then, the game is neither “launched” nor complete, but as mentioned below, the concept of “launch” may not even be applicable to this development model. Launch will be when we pull the game out of Early Access and we start marketing / public relation campaigns to pull in new customers. We have no plans to do those things in July. We know that this plan will generate a lot of questions and stir up plenty of emotions, but we firmly believe this is the best possible course of action for the project.

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?p=56208

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beet Wagon posted:

:piss: they're really doing it lmao

Toast tried to warn everyone with a coded message (his communications are monitored) but naaaahhhhhh, you guys were too good to solve a simple cypher. And now this is the result.

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.

trucutru posted:

Toast tried to warn everyone with a coded message (his communications are monitored) but naaaahhhhhh, you guys were too good to solve a simple cypher. And now this is the result.

Too good? I don't think that has anything to do with it.

Here are the reasons:

1) MoMA
2) :effort:
3) MoMA

Edit: I forgot...

4) MoMA

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

SomethingJones posted:

10 for the Chairman: Episode 46
Nov 24 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXnNwUmnl3o

Q:
Is there a possibility that we get to choose our "home" on a planet. Let's say for instance that one has discovered a beautiful planet and decides that he/she wants to set up camp on that planet and live there. Can we build or buy our home or hangar and place it on the planet?

Chris Roberts:
We're definitely going to let you... ah... ah... acquire REAL ESTATE on... PLANETS or LOCATIONS... not sure if it's gonna be on every single one, you know, first it's gonna be on some of the more developed planets that we'll basically have hangars you can BUY or you know it'll be a PENTHOUSE APARTMENT or something with a view that you could get, um...

Longer term we wanna have the ability, I've talked about some of the procedural stuff, we'll have some new AREAS and PLANETS that people discover as they PUSH OUT and perhaps that planet is HABITABLE, there's a colony, a settlement that starts getting placed...

Also stumbled across this -
Star Citizen In Game Gambling
10 for the Chairman: Episode 39
Sep 29 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mTLWkxEEeo

Answer via http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/10_for_the_Chairman_Episode_39

Chris Roberts:
I would say that we definitely want to have some level of gambling, or a Las Vegas equivalent in UEE space, keeping with the idea of immersion. We'll probably at some point do some minigame stuff like poker or their own gambling style games. I'm not so sure it'll be in V1.0, just because we have SO much stuff to do, but that's definitely on the agenda/list. So you could fly around, go down to planets, if it's a seedy planet you might walk around and get mugged by some NPC, or maybe a gambling den etc. We'll do all we can to make space, planets and everything in between feel alive and real, so having different things you can do, like poker against other players, would add to that feeling.

lol I had completely forgotten Chris used to get on camera and just blather about dreams. How many episodes of this are there?

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Solarin posted:

lol I had completely forgotten Chris used to get on camera and just blather about dreams. How many episodes of this are there?

About 86 episodes I think. lol

http://scqa.info/?keywords=dream&lowerdate=01/01/2000&upperdate=01/01/2042

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Solarin posted:

CR did 57 of these e: it's actually 58

There's 128 altogether including the 10 for the devs, just had a look at the playlist on their channel

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

SomethingJones posted:

There's 128 altogether including the 10 for the devs, just had a look at the playlist on their channel

So 1280 things they have yet to do? Man, it's going to take them a while.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

What we're uh ah going to do is ah ummm sell you , you know sell you stuff ah we hope you like it *Sandi wanders on screen and takes a huge bite out of bens brain*

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
When do you think 3.0 will be available for all backers?

Well, I guess they are learning. Specially that 9.9%.

Bumbler
Dec 17, 2005

Earth is one of the planets they are promising, imagine the premiums they can charge selling the premise of iconic Earth locations for orgs to build up. Shitizens will of course explain away how this is the only rational choice.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Omniblivion posted:

Titanic, I take it you never played with Eve goons?

I tried to play it once, without goons though. It pretty much was boring. :(

I think when I saw the skills rising based on time, I sort of saw how you win. It’s not skill but time. I’m sure I’m wrong but it was painful boring when I still had an iota of interest in WoW.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
This is from the UK Govt's response on the lootboxes/gambling thing, don't think it's been posted
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/201300

quote:

Where gambling facilities are offered to British consumers using in-game items that can be converted into cash or traded for items of real-world value, then such activities must be licensed by the Gambling Commission and adhere to strict requirements for the protection of children and the vulnerable, which include measures to prevent underage gambling. It is an offence to invite a child to gamble, and where there is a failure to prevent underage gambling, the Commission will take regulatory and/or criminal action.

Consumers are also protected by the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008. This includes a requirement on businesses not to subject anyone to misleading or aggressive marketing practices, or, for example, direct exhortation to buy products, such as games content, including in-game purchases such as loot boxes. The government is committed to ensuring that consumers are properly protected and that children’s vulnerability and inexperience is not exploited by aggressive commercial practices.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Solarin posted:

I remember that post, you called the hell out of that

I think you called all those motorcycle and rover sales they had this year too

If you guys keep saying that I’m going to have to start a blog. :3:

But really it’s a team effort! Goons were going nuts over lots of things. I think I just picked up on the hints that CIG was stopping, or very seriously slowing, production on the space game because it was beyond their capabilities, and fell back to what CryEngine can do best: FPS games and terrain.

From there it was inevitably going to be selling land vehicles of all sorts (because its CIG), personal weapons and armor, and then land and apartment space in their cities or towns. All FPS stuff, all done before.

My prediction was that the space game was going to basically become a transition between FPS levels, and ultimately be the weakest link in the space game.

Space = hard
FPS = not so hard

It’s not difficult to figure out the path of least resistance for CIG to take. And the bakers are so content starved they’ll gladly swallow a substandard CoD clone and totally forget the grandiose dreams of star liners filled with PCs and npcs all wanting to watch movies you have to buy on rare movie planets while being served hairy Roberts from the Mix Master 3000, while repairing server blades, and staving off infections diseases... and this was just the content from a non-combat role space cruise ship.

How the mighty have fallen, only they did it silently, and apparently nobody cares. :shrug:

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

SomethingJones posted:

amazing how one of the last ones was where he started talking about the MVP. And thanks for doing the transcripts, having it all down in writing is way more useful than their constant barrage of lovely videos

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

Forums-people scatter into GBS and FYAD. The noonday sun beats down as two grizzled warlords size each other up, squinting across the now-deserted thread.

Naw, I’ll let him have the honor of calling it. :)

It’s a team effort and for me I’ve enjoyed everybody’s input. The speculation of the next failure has been the most fun I’ve had with a game in a while. :)

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Virtual Captain posted:

Repair scaffolds? link please.

Closest I know is:

Could probably be on The Tracker more clearly. "Realistic ship damage" has more to do with how damage is applied than repair mechanics and visuals.

I remember they talked about scaffolding they would need to erect over large ships to perform repair work. Or maybe there was a certain ship or item that would combine together to form a repair system. It’s been many years for that one single item, so I may be misremembering. :shrug:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beet Wagon posted:

I'm the man who put $250 into Star Citizen but can't afford a $10 forums account.

Honestly it's probably for the best, there's no way in hell the thread doesn't rip Fandred apart like a pack of dingoes with a fresh baby.

Did someone say ‘fresh baby’?

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.
lol they are actually going to sell land on planets. jesus christ.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Bumbler posted:

Earth is one of the planets they are promising, imagine the premiums they can charge selling the premise of iconic Earth locations for orgs to build up. Shitizens will of course explain away how this is the only rational choice.

London will be the first place so they get the Is It English tax credit.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Drunk Theory posted:

Ha ha. Okay, well trucutru did already point out I was incorrect. And this might come off as rolling with the punches, but I am tickled that you are telling me to shut the gently caress up.

Dear Beetwagon, Esq.

When all is said and done please grant my friends and I the gang tag "Block Talk" with Derek Smart.

Tia

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Solarin posted:

amazing how one of the last ones was where he started talking about the MVP. And thanks for doing the transcripts, having it all down in writing is way more useful than their constant barrage of lovely videos

Least I can do to make up for my lovely postings

Anyway there's alternative transcripts for most of it already out there now, the problem with those is that they're somewhat believable as they miss out the utterances that spill and piss forth from Chris as he makes up complete codshit on the fly to sell spaceships

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Dear Beetwagon, Esq.

When all is said and done please grant my friends and I the gang tag "Block Talk" with Derek Smart.

Tia

the dude in your avatar - i actually have a signed picture from the guy who was that pilot in the movie. random fact of the night.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Dear Beetwagon, Esq.

Tia

This is hysterical for so many reasons.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

SomethingJones posted:

Are you drunk? You seem to have forgotten how many times the thread lamented your absence. Someone has to provide some context around here.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
I honestly didn't see the sale of land plots coming at all, and I still don't quite believe it

Titanic totally called the gently caress out of that one

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I asked my blizzard buddy how pissed they are at EA on a scale of 1-10, no answer yet

it does beg the question of where MtG booster packs fall on that scale

I believe MtG got around it because theres a guaranteed rare, uncommons, etc. Ill be surprised if they change the ruling on them since it would hurt the entire trading card game community.

Also that story of the signed pilot photo is dope and I am jealous.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

SomethingJones posted:

I honestly didn't see the sale of land plots coming at all, and I still don't quite believe it

Titanic totally called the gently caress out of that one

This is nothing, they haven't got to toll booths yet. On space lanes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

SomethingJones posted:

Don’t ever say this. I have talked about you often because of the great service you did in your transcriptions. I wouldn’t have been able to keep up with the videos unless you transcribed them. You kept me interested because I could actually follow along with everybody else. That’s a rare thing for me.

I appreciate everything you’ve done. Never stop being a good poster. :glomp: