Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Covok posted:

I mean, doesn't the Japanese self-defense Force lack an air divison? That would kind of take the wind out of the sails of any plans like that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan_Air_Self-Defense_Force

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Also you're wildly mischaracterizing the other quote too, Miyazaki doesn't say "that looks like someone who has a disability and is an affront to god."

They show him an animation of a hideous zombie-like creature that moves by using its head as a leg (by using a learning AI to force it to figure out how to move from scratch), and Miyazaki says (paraphrasing) "I have a friend who's disabled and struggles just to do simple things like a high-five; whoever created this program has no idea what pain really is, and I find it disgusting."

https://qz.com/859454/the-director-of-spirited-away-says-animation-made-by-artificial-intelligence-is-an-insult-to-life-itself/

So while I think he's being a grumpy old man about this and shows a surprising lack of appreciation for the grotesque for someone who worked on Princess Mononoke and Nausicaa, it's not like he's being disrespectful of the disabled here. Quite the opposite.
I think his point was the fact that it isn't really all that grotesque. Its a parody of it.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
I read Goblin Markets recently and I really want to play a game like Ars Magica, only your big bad wizards are shifty hob merchants. You throw bids for what kind of items they want to get into a GM pot that's used to construct the dungeon before dropping hedgedelvers into misadventure. I feel like high lethality and quick chargen should be a feature and not a bug. Also that advancement would rely on getting items back to your hob boss to sell for bennies you can spend on your delve team.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Tasoth posted:

I read Goblin Markets recently and I really want to play a game like Ars Magica, only your big bad wizards are shifty hob merchants. You throw bids for what kind of items they want to get into a GM pot that's used to construct the dungeon before dropping hedgedelvers into misadventure. I feel like high lethality and quick chargen should be a feature and not a bug. Also that advancement would rely on getting items back to your hob boss to sell for bennies you can spend on your delve team.

That's literally the original D&D.

EDIT: I'm not saying that to be sarcastic or snippy, just that you have, kinda hilariously, described how this entire hobby started.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

As much as Japanese reactionaries and Japan's neighbors like to carry on about the rebirth of the Japanese Empire, it could never happen. Article 9 will probably be gone in the near future though, or amended, because of Japan's neighbors, Trump, and Abe wanting to live in his war criminal grandpa's shadow.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

Desiden posted:

Wait, is manga better for this? Asking seriously; I just assumed it would be like western comics vs. movies where the comics tended to crawl up their own asses and have lots more bizarro poo poo while the movies tried to streamline everything into a coherent narrative.

Like, I don't hate anime, but I don't really have the patience to sift through all the pandering crap anymore to find the gems. Plus the tendency of animes to show just a part of whatever manga they're based off of, often with very little resolution in the show, gets really annoying. If manga avoids a lot of that poo poo, I'd be interested.
Manga is all over the place because it's comics, except without America's history with the Comics Code leading to superheroes taking over for a while. None of the manga publishers do sprawling shared universes with crossover events, and for the most part each manga title is self-contained. There are some long-running ones that have dozens or hundreds of volumes, but also quite a few that will have like 4 volumes before they come to an end. Manga also isn't just aimed at adolescent boys and older man-children; there are whole genres of manga aimed at grown-ups. The manga that gets published in English tends to be the kind that appeals to anime fans, but the overall medium is pretty ridiculously diverse. Like, there are multiple magazines that specialize in manga about mahjong.

That's probably not especially helpful in terms of needing to sift through the crap to find the gems, but it's for different reasons than with anime.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Covok posted:

I mean, doesn't the Japanese self-defense Force lack an air divison? That would kind of take the wind out of the sails of any plans like that.
They got some choppers. I think part of the gimmick in that Gate show is that the JSDF, while not large, is a modern technological army going up against the Maelstrom and Twin Adders, only they don't have guys casting Protect and Medica II. So whenever the tech level disparity comes up, the JSDF wins hard.

One wonders what they'd do with a guy who had a ring of immunity to normal missiles.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Drifters was cool because it was about people from a lot of differeny historical periods stranded on fantasy world so you had nobunaga teach the elves and dwarves to make gunpowder and kick the rear end of conventional armies with pike and shot strategy and an aircraft carrier commander teach carrier doctrine to some ships that had dragon riders

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Plutonis posted:

Drifters was cool because it was about people from a lot of differeny historical periods stranded on fantasy world so you had nobunaga teach the elves and dwarves to make gunpowder and kick the rear end of conventional armies with pike and shot strategy and an aircraft carrier commander teach carrier doctrine to some ships that had dragon riders
Drifters could have been a lot better if I hadn't already seen Hellsing and realized the author was only able to write like four personalities.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Honestly GATE would be cooler if the fantasy people slowly started to work on countermeasures to modern weaponry and started buying black market rifles to become elvish Taliban

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Plutonis posted:

Honestly GATE would be cooler if the fantasy people slowly started to work on countermeasures to modern weaponry and started buying black market rifles to become elvish Taliban

That might get in the way of the military wank, though. You have to remember that the solely exists so the Japanese can pretend that they're awesome. I'm not pretending we don't do the same thing or that your country doesn't do the same thing, I'm simply pointing out how this works.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
GATE is literally right wing propaganda by the most pathetic dude who was a former member of the JSDF, and it mostly follows his self insert as a lot of anime ladies fall in love with him.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

ProfessorCirno posted:

That's literally the original D&D.

EDIT: I'm not saying that to be sarcastic or snippy, just that you have, kinda hilariously, described how this entire hobby started.

I thought in the 1st edition of D&D, you just played your character. Yeah, high lethality, so just roll 3d6 six times and assign, get back into the fight. Having a player associated patron that gives you bennies in game isn't something I knew it did? Never read anything before 3e for D&D, so not surprised it's been done.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Nessus posted:

They got some choppers.

Japan has a pretty good, modern air force relatively speaking. They're also in on the ponzi scheme that is the F-35.

ProfessorCirno posted:

GATE is literally right wing propaganda by the most pathetic dude who was a former member of the JSDF, and it mostly follows his self insert as a lot of anime ladies fall in love with him.

I feel like every country has their own John Ringo.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Tasoth posted:

I thought in the 1st edition of D&D, you just played your character. Yeah, high lethality, so just roll 3d6 six times and assign, get back into the fight. Having a player associated patron that gives you bennies in game isn't something I knew it did? Never read anything before 3e for D&D, so not surprised it's been done.

It was fairly common in older editions to get your marching orders from a patron of some sort. It wasn't required by any means but it was a natural outgrowth of wargames where your heroes worked for a lord or established nation anyway.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
While there was no patron mandated, you leveled up explicitly based on looting, not killing or exploring, which I think still fits.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Haha, it was written by the Japanese equivalent of alt-right, "anti-SJWMARVEL" youtuber, Diversity & Comics.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Nessus posted:

They got some choppers. I think part of the gimmick in that Gate show is that the JSDF, while not large, is a modern technological army going up against the Maelstrom and Twin Adders, only they don't have guys casting Protect and Medica II. So whenever the tech level disparity comes up, the JSDF wins hard.

One wonders what they'd do with a guy who had a ring of immunity to normal missiles.

Teargas, or just big enough explosives to kill him by concussion rather than shrapnel. Shadowrun asked these questions in the 90's. :)

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Ahh, the chunky salsa rule.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Just checking in to say that my November fundraiser for charity is going pretty well. We've raised around $750 CAD as of now. I'm hoping to get over $1000 by the end of the month, so if you haven't already told your friends to check it out, there's still time. There are 10 more days to get in on it!

In case this is the first you are hearing about it, the skinny is that my daughter has cancer and I'm raising money to help the hospital (SickKids) that is treating her - 100% of my RPG income in November will go to SickKids Foundation. All the details are at https://www.strikerpg.com

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

As much as Japanese reactionaries and Japan's neighbors like to carry on about the rebirth of the Japanese Empire, it could never happen. Article 9 will probably be gone in the near future though, or amended, because of Japan's neighbors, Trump, and Abe wanting to live in his war criminal grandpa's shadow.

This helicopter (a Cobra variant) should belong to the JGSDF, not the JASDF, which only operates transport and utility helos as far as I'm aware.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

This helicopter (a Cobra variant) should belong to the JGSDF, not the JASDF, which only operates transport and utility helos as far as I'm aware.

I just thought the anime helicopter recruiting gimmick was funny. The whole, the otakus are the future of the military angle is hilarious.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

good anime taste

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

That's a halfway believable photoshop, if only because I know that Toyota products from the 90s/early 2000s have achieved another lease on life in Afghanistan/Iraq.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I just thought the anime helicopter recruiting gimmick was funny. The whole, the otakus are the future of the military angle is hilarious.
They named their drone research facility after the psychic research lab in the original Gundam. The nerds are running the asylum.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
:siren: New blogpost is up, for The Next Project, talking about some overhauls that are coming to the foundations of the game.

In short, Expertise is being moved to expand design space, Advantage is going to figure more prominently going forward, and a bunch of terminology is getting cleaned up. All of this is intended to make the game as streamlined as possible, and to facilitate gameplay.

Behind the scenes, I've been doing fun nerd poo poo like crunching out DPR, so expect to see some attack routines be both smoother and more impactful, going forward.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Nessus posted:

They named their drone research facility after the psychic research lab in the original Gundam. The nerds are running the asylum.
Top secret projects in the US military have jacket patches as though they were sports clubs. A large number of the patches references Star Trek or the Insane Clown Posse.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Yeah, any military research project is going to be staffed by nerds. When you give those nerds a chance to name something or design something purely cosmetic, you better bet you get nerd poo poo out of it.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yes go ahead and Google Order of the Sword. The Air Force gets really goddamn nerdy with those things.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kwyndig posted:

Yes go ahead and Google Order of the Sword. The Air Force gets really goddamn nerdy with those things.

I thought only the Marines were issued those for their dragon slaying ops.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Terrible Opinions posted:

Top secret projects in the US military have jacket patches as though they were sports clubs. A large number of the patches references Star Trek or the Insane Clown Posse.
Are you saying that the US armed forces are secretly controlled by Juggalos??

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Nessus posted:

Are you saying that the US armed forces are secretly controlled by Juggalos??
Secretly?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The website they were hosted on appears to have been replaced with a far less interesting political blog, but several of them had hatchetman on there clear as day. The conspiracy guy who hosted the pictures had no idea what juggalos are and always marked down hatchetman as "unknown significance".

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Kwyndig posted:

They made up the tradition, so there are no real guidelines for what kind of sword should be made for the award. So the order of the sword can look like this:

or like this

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Imagine being the guy who got a boring regular sword that's as equally useless as the anime rear end buster swords there.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Mr. Maltose posted:

Imagine being the guy who got a boring regular sword that's as equally useless as the anime rear end buster swords there.

I know if I ever got one of those I would specifically request a buster sword, because what's the point otherwise. I mean it's the Air Force, it's not like you've got a tradition of using swords to begin with.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Like, that poo poo is never going to go off the wall you hang it on or hold an edge, get it 12 feet long with all the tasteless flair they can shove into it.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

So just found out about Genesys coming from FFG. Does anyone have much on it other than the blurb on the page? Has there been much sneak peek in terms of playtesting or anything?
I'm assuming it's going to be a homogenized version of the same dice system from Star Wars and WHFRP2 but curious if there's any big changes or cool stuff added to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Spiteski posted:

So just found out about Genesys coming from FFG. Does anyone have much on it other than the blurb on the page? Has there been much sneak peek in terms of playtesting or anything?
I'm assuming it's going to be a homogenized version of the same dice system from Star Wars and WHFRP2 but curious if there's any big changes or cool stuff added to it.

It's WFRP 3e that used it.

• Locked thread