Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The potential issue with an investigation is that a lot of instances of sexual assault are inherently impossible to prove, despite actually happening. It makes sense to still require such proof in order to punish someone within the legal system, but in the context of "should this person resign from being a politician" that sort of proof isn't required and we can reasonably say "this guy probably sexually assaulted this woman" even if concrete proof didn't exist.

So an investigation in this kind of situation carries the risk of exonerating someone who actually did something bad. Not that this would be likely to happen in the Franken situation specifically (since it seems like it would probably be possible to more or less prove this, especially since part even has photo evidence), but I just want to point out that there are potential downsides to this sort of thing (at least opposed to the person just resigning).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Ytlaya posted:

in the context of "should this person resign from being a politician" that sort of proof isn't required and we can reasonably say "this guy probably sexually assaulted this woman" even if concrete proof didn't exist.
I'm not trying to speak for Ytlaya, I just agree with this, and I'd like to take this reasoning a step further. Even if I had 100% concrete proof the politician was innocent (like I was with them at the times or whatever), I'd still argue it's better to discard tainted politicians. Like surely we can find an equivalently smart human with equivalent policies that doesn't have people accusing them of assault? In some hypothetical scenario where Republicans have weaponized their voting base into massively generating false accusations we can revise that strategy, but I simply don't believe that the job of Democratic politician is so difficult that we can't replace them in the current environment.
edit:
I guess with a follow up of "If Al Franken, and literally only Al Franken, is the only United States citizen capable of performing the job of "Democratic US Senator of Minnesota", then our democracy has bigger problems than our politicians assaulting people (which is still very bad)".

twodot fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Nov 22, 2017

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/933138116977754112
Yeah, I know his opponent is a pedo monster.
Yeah, I know he prosecuted the KKK and won in Alabama of all states.
Yes I know he’s still probably better than most senate D’s.

Yet the worthlessness of this party just has to find the time to rears its head and spite the future.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Office Pig posted:

Yeah, I know his opponent is a pedo monster.
Yeah, I know he prosecuted the KKK and won in Alabama of all states.
Yes I know he’s still probably better than most senate D’s.

Yet the worthlessness of this party just has to find the time to rears its head and spite the future.

Sadly, he still is better then Machin.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

The potential issue with an investigation is that a lot of instances of sexual assault are inherently impossible to prove, despite actually happening. It makes sense to still require such proof in order to punish someone within the legal system, but in the context of "should this person resign from being a politician" that sort of proof isn't required and we can reasonably say "this guy probably sexually assaulted this woman" even if concrete proof didn't exist.

Yeah, the burden for civil trials isn't proof beyond a reasonable doubt, it's preponderance of the evidence (in other words is it more likely than not that it happened, in other words, literally, he's probably not innocent).

If it's good enough for civil penalties it's good enough for professional consequences like demanding a resignation. And in this case we have photographic evidence of Franken sexually assaulting this woman so...

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I hope I'm wrong but Jones is probably going to lose.

If you can't stand up for working people against the corporations when your opponent's pedophilia is so radioactive even the robber barons dare not support him, what loving good are you.

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

If there is one thing Alabamans love, it's corporate tax cuts.

Are any major corporations even headquartered in Alabama?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

MooselanderII posted:

If there is one thing Alabamans love, it's corporate tax cuts.

Lots of companies have warehouses/shipping centers there. Every state in America has a large corporate presence at this point in one form or another.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

MooselanderII posted:

a few that deal with construction supply and stuff in birmingham, and nasa has a large presence in huntsville

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

WampaLord posted:

Lots of companies have warehouses/shipping centers there. Every state in America has a large corporate presence at this point in one form or another.

I get that, but my point is that there is less of a natural constituency for earnest corporate tax cuts in Alabama of all places.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

MooselanderII posted:

I get that, but my point is that there is less of a natural constituency for earnest corporate tax cuts in Alabama of all places.

Yup, there isn't. It's dumbass pandering to a demographic that doesn't exist here for the sake of appearing willing to look after conservative interests if elected.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

VitalSigns posted:

I hope I'm wrong but Jones is probably going to lose.

If you can't stand up for working people against the corporations when your opponent's pedophilia is so radioactive even the robber barons dare not support him, what loving good are you.

I’m not sure why you’ve said this, considering his issue page lists a living wage and healthcare as a right as key points. It’s not the ideal progressive wet dream type of platform but it’s mind blowing for a guy running in Alabama.

Has he made some kind of public statement indicating he’s anti-progressive?

Edit: you guys are talking like there’s some kind of news story about Jones I haven’t seen.

twodot posted:

I'm not trying to speak for Ytlaya, I just agree with this, and I'd like to take this reasoning a step further. Even if I had 100% concrete proof the politician was innocent (like I was with them at the times or whatever), I'd still argue it's better to discard tainted politicians. Like surely we can find an equivalently smart human with equivalent policies that doesn't have people accusing them of assault? In some hypothetical scenario where Republicans have weaponized their voting base into massively generating false accusations we can revise that strategy, but I simply don't believe that the job of Democratic politician is so difficult that we can't replace them in the current environment.

This is kind of a strange thing to say, false accusations are rare in practice so worrying about them or some conservative conspiracy to repudiate progressives is mostly pointless. If there was a scenario where there was some way to prove that an accusation was false it wouldn’t be good to let it stand, if only because it isn’t really fair to allow someone’s reputation and career get torched over something that isn’t true. But again, that’s such a pie in the sky scenario because the reality as it stands is that false accusations of sexual misconduct are very rare.

That said, people aren’t “equivalent.” If for example we had a minority representative who was replaced by a non-minority representative of similar views, a number of people would still feel frustrated by the loss of representation and the loss of other perspectives in lawmaking. Not only that, but while many people may hold similar views, they are not necessarily evenly distributed across the country. A progressive politician in a conservative area may actually be irreplaceable, at least in the near term.

That isn’t to say that misconduct of any kind should be excused because someone is not easily replaced politically or their seat is at risk of flipping if they are removed. But it’s important to understand that political representatives are people who have attributes besides their politics that voters connect with and appreciate. For example, many people have roughly similar or more progressive political views as Bernie and are equally as capable of being a Senator, and yet many people would prefer Bernie to any other candidate for their Senator or President for other reasons than his platform. These other qualities aren’t just interchangeable.

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Nov 22, 2017

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
And it’s real obvious, now. “Well we’d all love corporate tax cuts but not like this, oh no. These sons of bitches are all quietly toeing the same line and I’m loving sick of the good cop horseshit that Bernie and Warren provide them.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lightning Knight posted:

I’m not sure why you’ve said this, considering his issue page lists a living wage and healthcare as a right as key points. It’s not the ideal progressive wet dream type of platform but it’s mind blowing for a guy running in Alabama.

Has he made some kind of public statement indicating he’s anti-progressive?

Edit: you guys are talking like there’s some kind of news story about Jones I haven’t seen.

It was posted above. Apparently Jones is in favor of corporate tax cuts, just not the current GOP tax plan.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Roland Jones posted:

It was posted above. Apparently Jones is in favor of corporate tax cuts, just not the current GOP tax plan.

Ah I see, my bad. That’s unfortunate, but not unusual. I wouldn’t characterize that as disqualifying for where and what he’s running for but it’s not ideal. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
“Let’s pray for somebody to save us.” Ahah.
https://twitter.com/amjoyshow/status/931920346931957760
Imbeciles.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Either NPR or Marketplace (forget which) had a spot today bemoaning how the GOP tax bill would make it harder for people buying million dollar houses.

Like, the tax bill is definitely bad, but that's a pretty weird angle to take.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Ytlaya posted:

Either NPR or Marketplace (forget which) had a spot today bemoaning how the GOP tax bill would make it harder for people buying million dollar houses.

Like, the tax bill is definitely bad, but that's a pretty weird angle to take.

Well their main donors are rich boomers.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I know he's a badguy but this is going to turn racist in negative -10 seconds.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

This is kind of a strange thing to say, false accusations are rare in practice so worrying about them or some conservative conspiracy to repudiate progressives is mostly pointless. If there was a scenario where there was some way to prove that an accusation was false it wouldn’t be good to let it stand, if only because it isn’t really fair to allow someone’s reputation and career get torched over something that isn’t true. But again, that’s such a pie in the sky scenario because the reality as it stands is that false accusations of sexual misconduct are very rare.
Ok, but we agree with current politicians in current reality, there's no point in worrying about where accusations are real or not? We should just discard tainted politicians in favor of effectively identical politicians that don't have accusers saying they are terrible people?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

twodot posted:

Ok, but we agree with current politicians in current reality, there's no point in worrying about where accusations are real or not? We should just discard tainted politicians in favor of effectively identical politicians that don't have accusers saying they are terrible people?

I mean, I suppose? I disagree with your idea that politicians are “effectively identical,” or at least in the implied context of left-wing progressive candidates, and with your implied categorization of them as things off an assembly line.

Politicians are human and people, at least those who support them, empathize with them. It’s understandable that people who looked up to Franken, for example, want to defend him or are skeptical. It’s a human reaction, up to a point. What’s not ok is making the jump from “I’m skeptical of the situation as reported” to victim blaming, standard patriarchal dismissals of sexual misconduct in general, or dismissal of victims’ credibility outright or right to make a claim. “Believe women” doesn’t mean we have to automatically side with the accuser all the time, it just means we have to afford them the benefit of the doubt and respect their desire to be heard, and not automatically assume a devil’s advocate stance in favor of the accused as is the standard practice for bad men behaving badly.

In the overwhelming majority of cases like this, there’s going to be multiple victims. It is most likely that in most of these cases, the person accused probably did at least some of what they’re accused of. Proposing broad hypotheticals about how “even if they were fake we should force the accused out” is pointless when at this point, we don’t even know what a false accusation scenario would look like. It implies that you expect such a scenario will happen often enough to even worry about, when both anecdote and evidence don’t support that notion.

I suppose I don’t really disagree with you? So much as I think you’re worrying about something that isn’t a real problem, at least at the present time, and I disagree with both implying that false reports are presently significant enough to concern ourselves with in this context or that politicians are easily replaceable commodities rather than complex people that (ideally) will connect with voters on a human level and, you know, represent them.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Katt posted:

I know he's a badguy but this is going to turn racist in negative -10 seconds.

I miss Blingee.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

edit: wrong thread.

double nine fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Nov 22, 2017

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

I suppose I don’t really disagree with you? So much as I think you’re worrying about something that isn’t a real problem, at least at the present time, and I disagree with both implying that false reports are presently significant enough to concern ourselves with in this context or that politicians are easily replaceable commodities rather than complex people that (ideally) will connect with voters on a human level and, you know, represent them.
I'm not worried about anything, I'm just saying the only rational point of an investigation is too find more wrongdoing. Any sort of investigation bent on determining innocence is just wasted effort, because it would be easier to just run a different candidate (and because complete certainty is unachievable so you can never be sure also).

Like 90% of politicians are just commodified votes on bills. In a body of 100 people you can't have 100 leaders. And when you are one of two people that represent 5.5 million people 1) you can't actually represent 5.5 million views and 2) you have no chance of connecting with even 1% of them on a human level. The notion that US Senators are people who need protections and not immensely powerful political offices that we need defenses from needs to be discarded.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Inescapable Duck posted:

I miss Blingee.

you got me scared that they closed the site or something, so i had to check

never take my blingee away

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

twodot posted:

edit:
I guess with a follow up of "If Al Franken, and literally only Al Franken, is the only United States citizen capable of performing the job of "Democratic US Senator of Minnesota", then our democracy has bigger problems than our politicians assaulting people (which is still very bad)".

I don't know of any organization where you can just replace skilled people like cogs in a wheel; it just doesn't work that way. But particualy for congress, seniority is very important to being an effective legislator. New people almost never make major accomplishments or sit on relevant committees. And then there's institutional knowledge, the working relationships and so on. I would guess this is also why the general consensus in studies is that term limits are a very bad thing, at least on the legislative level.

But also I don't think you can simply handwave away how exploitable this is not only by republicans but by governments like Russia. They are only going to get better and if our elections come down to how convincingly one side and slime and slander the other we might as well hand them the keys because that's their wheelhouse.

JeffersonClay posted:

I think it would almost certainly be better for Franken, personally, if he resigned now. He wants an investigation because he thinks it will vindicate him, which seems very unlikely. I’m happy to let him have the investigation because I think a big public spectacle about sexual harassment and assault culminating in his resignation or removal has some benefits that we wouldn’t get if he just resigns right now for his family or whatever.

Franken not resigning is a mistake for him and his family, and maybe for the democrats generally, but it’s a mistake I’m happy to let him make.

Are you correct about anything? This story is already losing steam and if no other allegations come out he ain't going anywhere. Conyers is most likely staying as well. It seems extremely likely the result of the investigation will be that nobody gives a gently caress anymore, if they even do today. I can't help but think that much like the focus on police shootings and the Black Lives Matter movement, attention is going to shift and people will focus on something else.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

tsa posted:

I don't know of any organization where you can just replace skilled people like cogs in a wheel; it just doesn't work that way. But particualy for congress, seniority is very important to being an effective legislator.
Seniority will stop being important once we eject all the people that think we need to keep Senators who have been accused of assault because of their seniority.

quote:

New people almost never make major accomplishments or sit on relevant committees.
Yeah, again this is a bug, and the fact that seniority is so important over competence just reinforces my point that these politicians are replaceable.

quote:

And then there's institutional knowledge, the working relationships and so on.
Politicians needs advisors with institutional knowledge. Literally no one quizzes politicians on the rules of order, or who goes on hunting trips with who in debates. (Although arguably, someone should have done this with Ted Cruz)

quote:

But also I don't think you can simply handwave away how exploitable this is not only by republicans but by governments like Russia. They are only going to get better and if our elections come down to how convincingly one side and slime and slander the other we might as well hand them the keys because that's their wheelhouse.
I agree with this, I'm just saying we can wait for people to actually exploit it before reacting, and how we should react will depend on how people attempt to exploit it anyways.

twodot fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Nov 23, 2017

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

tsa posted:

Are you correct about anything? This story is already losing steam and if no other allegations come out he ain't going anywhere. Conyers is most likely staying as well. It seems extremely likely the result of the investigation will be that nobody gives a gently caress anymore, if they even do today. I can't help but think that much like the focus on police shootings and the Black Lives Matter movement, attention is going to shift and people will focus on something else.

An active investigation keeps the story in the news and makes it more likely additional victims come forward. Resignations are designed to end media cycles and diminish the motivation for additional victims to speak out. Nobody giving a gently caress anymore is a risk whether Franken resigns tomorrow or in six months. Having a contentious investigation makes it less likely people stop paying attention.

Oh and https://twitter.com/jbendery/status/933488601505173506

The story is losing all steam!

JeffersonClay fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Nov 23, 2017

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

JeffersonClay posted:

An active investigation keeps the story in the news and makes it more likely additional victims come forward. Resignations are designed to end media cycles and diminish the motivation for additional victims to speak out. Nobody giving a gently caress anymore is a risk whether Franken resigns tomorrow or in six months. Having a contentious investigation makes it less likely people stop paying attention.

This is a really poo poo opinion.

You just want to slut-shame women who haven't come out yet because they're aware of what kind of backlash being in the media spotlight will be like.

What do they gain by speaking out? Does he double-resign? Triple-resign? quadrouple-double-dog-resign if they spend enough time having the supposed left dissect their life to find anything that could be used to defend are team?

It's entirely appropriate for a victim who hasn't come forward to be satisfied that his career is gone without them having to deal with all that poo poo that he put on them.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Harik posted:

You just want to slut-shame women who haven't come out yet because they're aware of what kind of backlash being in the media spotlight will be like.

What

quote:

What do they gain by speaking out? Does he double-resign? Triple-resign? quadrouple-double-dog-resign if they spend enough time having the supposed left dissect their life to find anything that could be used to defend are team?

It's entirely appropriate for a victim who hasn't come forward to be satisfied that his career is gone without them having to deal with all that poo poo that he put on them.

Yes, this is exactly why Franken resigning now would result in fewer victims coming forward. I have no idea what point you're trying to make and I don't think you do either. Like are you saying it makes no difference if more victims come forward? I think it does. There's a collective action problem here, and every victim that comes forward makes it easier for the next one to come forward. Resignations are intended to thwart that dynamic.

Filipino Freakout
Mar 20, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Optimal pragmatism; never resign, never acknowledge, infinite victims, deny, deflect, more polling, triangulate, investigate, committee consensus, delay

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

What is the electorally optimal amount of victims that must come forward before we acknowledge victimizers shouldn't be in power, let's go to the focus groups

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

VitalSigns posted:

What is the electorally optimal amount of victims that must come forward before we acknowledge victimizers shouldn't be in power, let's go to the focus groups

That's easy: [the number of victims that have come forward] + 1.

It's a moving target, granted, but you can't be too careful about these things.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
I'm sure there's a point where you can just declare it old news whenever a new person comes forward.

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

VitalSigns posted:

i did some fifth dimensional political calculus to optimize the harassment reaction levels. it involves making yourself so unlikeable that you lose in 2018 and 2020

Rodatose fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Nov 24, 2017

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Rodatose posted:

i did some fifth dimensional political calculus to optimize the harassment reaction levels. it involves making yourself so unlikeable that you lose in 2018 and 2020

ITS HER TURN!

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Falstaff posted:

That's easy: [the number of victims that have come forward] + 1.

It's a moving target, granted, but you can't be too careful about these things.

USPOL 2018: n+1 Sexual Assaults

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
I think we can all agree that provided the sexual harassment allegations against a sitting Senator form a countable set, that Senator need not resign. But if we can't form a one-to-one correspondence between the allegations and a subset of the natural numbers, that Senator must step down.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Kilroy posted:

I think we can all agree that provided the sexual harassment allegations against a sitting Senator form a countable set, that Senator need not resign. But if we can't form a one-to-one correspondence between the allegations and a subset of the natural numbers, that Senator must step down.

You just know that if they found a senator whose harassment victims form an uncountable set the usual suspects would claims that it doesn't count because the set is Lebesgue measurable or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009
#ElsaGate is real!

https://www.wsj.com/articles/youtube-faces-fresh-backlash-after-ads-appear-near-pedophile-comments-1511532337

quote:

A fresh wave of advertisers suspended commercials on YouTube after their ads showed up next to videos that appeared to attract pedophile viewers and comments.

The backlash Friday was the latest over what critics say is the inability of YouTube owner Google, and parent Alphabet Inc., to effectively police the video service and assure advertisers their spots won’t end up running near inappropriate or offensive content.

• Locked thread