Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I'm the chateau housing the general's fancy dinner party twenty miles back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarence
May 3, 2012

I'm the dugouts on the wrong side of the trenches.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

spectralent posted:

jesus christ

The UK is loving insane.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I'm the barbed wire: buried deep underground.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
What if the enemy digs a secret tunnel, what then, smart guy?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm real sad that we invented the machinegun before we invented the TBM, honestly.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

OwlFancier posted:

I'm real sad that we invented the machinegun before we invented the TBM, honestly.

are we talking Tunnel Boring Machines or Tactical Ballistic Missiles here

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

SeanBeansShako posted:

The UK is loving insane.

Oh, I know that bit, I just thought we were petty-insane, not totally batshit.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

spectralent posted:

Oh, I know that bit, I just thought we were petty-insane, not totally batshit.
everywhere on earth has similar drat poo poo

name me a country and i will show you some insane bullshit

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

HEY GUNS posted:

San Marino?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

MikeCrotch posted:

are we talking Tunnel Boring Machines or Tactical Ballistic Missiles here

The former but the latter could be novel also.

Mostly the former though cos I like to think they would be concurrent with the armoured train.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
still fields a city-based force of crossbowmen

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Honestly, I've always enjoyed that sort of thing. Like, I am an extremely sceptical person, who believes none of the woo, but I'm superstitious anyway because it feels nice.
Placebo effect, I'm guessing. At least it's cheaper than heroin.

HEY GUNS posted:

Germany?

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
Superstition is pretty commonplace but it's also probably at its lowest level ever. Make of that what you will.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

HEY GUNS posted:

honestly, maturin's goony attempts at love in the o'brien series really ring true to me

I love the weird courtship. Let me run away from your affections, get embroiled in a spy scandal maybe, let me save your life when I'm banging some French dude, and let's be a happy couple when you accidentally do *way* too much ladinum while on top of a tower and you fall off

The fact that they grow together over her running away and banging a bunch of other guys

HEY GUNS posted:

FFFFFFF

Andorra?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Photosensitive, much like Schrag Musik. And acoustic.

Also this is cool

Rare example of something being TOO slow mo. Good god.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Never won a super bowl.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Nebakenezzer posted:

FFFFFFF

Andorra?
has never had an army, cigarette-smuggling capital of the pyrenees, guns mandated in every home

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
"bad air"

when they enter a place, when they wake up, or if there's smoke or steam coming from a cooking pan, they've got to open the windows, no matter what the weather is like. Answers as to WHAT THE gently caress, WHY vary: "the air's bad," "there are smells here," or "otherwise mold will grow on the walls."

it is the worst thing ever

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

HEY GUNS posted:

"bad air"

when they enter a place, when they wake up, or if there's smoke or steam coming from a cooking pan, they've got to open the windows, no matter what the weather is like. Answers as to WHAT THE gently caress, WHY vary: "the air's bad," "there are smells here," or "otherwise mold will grow on the walls."

Then why do they have poop shelves?!?

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Neophyte posted:

Then why do they have poop shelves?!?

Can't examine your turd without it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What is a poop shelf?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

OwlFancier posted:

What is a poop shelf?

We have such sights to show you.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

OwlFancier posted:

What is a poop shelf?

It's a place to store your posts!

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Dropping the turds straight into the water eliminates most of the smell, and you can still see enough to know the state of your bowels.

The shelf just seems like a way to guarantee every poo poo makes your bathroom stink. Is it a form of territorial marking?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Oh yeah, the Germans have their own version of Korean "fan death" don't they? I heard about that before on an episode of the Judge John Hodgeman podcast.

I guess there is a basis in reality in that you do need extra air from outside, especially if you're stirring up dust, but odds are you'll be fine.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

spectralent posted:

jesus christ

If that upsets you, check out contractor magic grifting

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Sounds like the inverse of how Americans used to be scared of Night Air.
http://www.masshist.org/publications/apde2/view?id=ADMS-01-03-02-0016-0187

quote:

The Taverns were so full We could with difficulty obtain Entertainment. At Brunswick, but one bed could be procured for Dr. Franklin and me, in a Chamber little larger than the bed, without a Chimney and with only one small Window. The Window was open, and I, who was an invalid and afraid of the Air in the night <blowing upon me>, shut it close. Oh! says Franklin dont shut the Window. We shall be suffocated. I answered I was afraid of the Evening Air. Dr. Franklin replied, the Air within this Chamber will soon be, and indeed is now worse than that without Doors: come! open the Window and come to bed, and I will convince you: I believe you are not acquainted with my Theory of Colds. Opening the Window and leaping into Bed, I said I had read his Letters to Dr. Cooper in which he had advanced, that Nobody ever got cold by going into a cold Church, or any other cold Air: but the Theory was so little consistent with my experience, that I thought it a Paradox: However I had so much curiosity to hear his reasons, that I would run the risque of a cold. The Doctor then began an harrangue, upon Air and cold and Respiration and Perspiration, with which I was so much amused that I soon fell asleep, and left him and his Philosophy together: but I believe they were equally sound and insensible, within a few minutes after me, for the last Words I heard were pronounced as if he was more than half asleep.... I remember little of the Lecture, except, that the human Body, by Respiration and Perspiration, destroys a gallon of Air in a minute: that two such Persons, as were now in that Chamber, would consume all the Air in it, in an hour or two: that by breathing over again the matter thrown off, by the Lungs and the Skin, We should imbibe the real Cause of Colds, not from abroad but from within. I am not inclined to introduce here a dissertation on this Subject. There is much Truth I believe, in some things he advanced: but they warrant not the assertion that a Cold is never taken from cold air. I have often conversed with him since on the same subject: and I believe with him that Colds are often taken in foul Air, in close Rooms: but they are often taken from cold Air, abroad too. I have often asked him, whether a Person heated with Exercise, going suddenly into cold Air, or standing still in a current of it, might not have his Pores suddenly contracted, his Perspiration stopped, and that matter thrown into the Circulations or cast upon the Lungs which he acknowledged was the Cause of Colds. To this he never could give me a satisfactory Answer. { 419 } And I have heard that in the Opinion of his own able Physician Dr. Jones he fell a Sacrifice at last, not to the Stone but to his own Theory; having caught the violent Cold, which finally choaked him, by sitting for some hours at a Window, with the cool Air blowing upon him.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

C.M. Kruger posted:

Sounds like the inverse of how Americans used to be scared of Night Air.
http://www.masshist.org/publications/apde2/view?id=ADMS-01-03-02-0016-0187

Ah, the endless arguments I had with my Italian ex, who thought that going outside to put the bins out or have a smoke on a winter night would kill me dead, unless I wore a scarf. Rip Mr enderby, died of chilly neck.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

OwlFancier posted:

The former but the latter could be novel also.

Mostly the former though cos I like to think they would be concurrent with the armoured train.

Well, the Brits did test a trench-digging machine, which is arguably halfway there. Think those train snowplows they use to clear mountain passes in winter, but on Caterpillar tracks insteas of rails and dirt istead of snow. It didn't work as well as they'd hoped.

Speaking of giant plows and trains, there were also large farm-type plows dragged behind the last train out when an army was retreating, to rip up the sleepers and keep the enemy from using the railroad to supply the pursuing troops.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

HEY GUNS posted:

I still find it hilarious that the pope has a harem of youthful virgins in good physical shape to guard him

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

HEY GUNS posted:

"bad air"

:confused: Do you hate fresh air?

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

The most annoyingly stupid thing about Germans is probably how much we love homeopathy.

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Nov 22, 2017

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
So, Ratko Mladic got slapped with lifetime in prison for crimes against humanity, found guilty of 10 out of 11 charge points, including but not limited to: sniper/artillery attacks against civilians, massacres of muslim children and taking UN personnel hostage.

Dude acted completely blasé, making cutthroat motions against massacre survivors and smiling at the camera. rear end in a top hat didn't show the same traction when he pleaded high blood pressure to get out of the trial.

aphid_licker posted:

The most annoyingly stupid thing about Germans is probably how much we love homeopathy.

Once again, Germans and Danes are stupid in much the same way :cheat::hf::denmark:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Libluini posted:

:confused: Do you hate fresh air?
when it's loving sleeting, YES. YES WE DO. CLOSE THE GODDAMN WINDOWS.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Since my interest in conflicts seems to always rise when I play a game based on the conflicts, I'm interested in finding out more about the French-Algerian War. Any good books on it? Also, can anyone comment on David Galula, his writings and, specifically, how widespread was the use of his book post-Algeria and if any counter-insurgent entity extensively made use of them (I think the Pentagon did read up on the book during Afghanistan/Iraq, but I'm interested to see if it was applied anywhere else).

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
What game are you playing based on the French-Algerian War? Did Greg Stolze come out with an Unknown Armies hack for the OAS?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
You know what's worse than a poop shelf?

Goddamn Japanese "traditional" toilets, which combine all the comfort of crouching to poo poo in the great outdoors and all the dignity of the poop shelf.

Those things used to be everywhere in the USSR and, growing up, I still had the indignity of meeting them in the odd public bathroom or school. It's basically the reason why I became so adept at not pooping at school.

And then I went to Japan, the land of toilets that had more computing power than NASA on the Apollo-11 mission... and found those traditional loos around.

You know what's easy to do on a crouch toilet and not on a regular one? To poop and miss. Boy, is that a fun gift to find!

gently caress this "but it's healthy for my butt muscles" nonsense, give me a regular porcelain throne.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I don't think Japanese people like those either. I lived in four different houses in Japan (shared with Japanese people), and only one of those had a squat shitter, and nobody used it as it had a proper toilet as well.

Edit: to bring this back to milhist, who had the first field latrines? Did the Romans dig them for their camps? I know they had facilities at more permanent settlements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Rockopolis posted:

What game are you playing based on the French-Algerian War? Did Greg Stolze come out with an Unknown Armies hack for the OAS?
Colonial Twilight, by Brian Train (his second game on the subject, actually, but the first using the COIN mechanism). Very good game in terms of how interesting/strategic it is, but I always like to fact-check historical games that I play. The OAS does have a pretty significant impact on the game as well.