Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

For every pete, there's a guy like this. Including original and updates

I (36m) am worried my wife (36f) is having an affair. I dont want to ask her directly if this is true.

quote:

Post resubmitted to make correction on title. My wife started a college course 6 months ago. Several things have made me really worried she is seeing someone else. We have always been true to each other (14 years). I can't bring myself to ask. Perhaps I'm overanalysing the situation. Not sure what to do? The guys name is Steve, she has been mentioned his name quite a few times, things really got me worried when she said would I mind if they went out for a drink 'as friends'. I didn't know what to say, so said fine as I would not want the woman who I adore to think I don't trust her. She now takes more pride in her appearance when she goes off to college and has obviously become quite informal with him, for example she told me that he has a girlfriend but finds her boring, they have even had quite personal conversations. The thing that has really worried me (like a stab to the chest) was her comment out of the blue that she was good in bed. Why would she say that? The really strange thing is however, over the last few months, our sex life has been better than ever (from 4 / month to 3 to 4 times a week - very often initiated by her) This makes me think that maybe nothing is going on, as why would she now be more interested in sex with me. Let's just say I'm confused and worried!! Any thoughts would be appreciated Thanks

Whatever usual relationship stuff no big deal... here's the update

quote:

Thanks again, to everyone who has commented. We have now had a 'can we all 4 go out together' conversation, which has in some ways helped clarify things, but in other ways had left me worried. What have I learnt? - Steve is 21, she sees him each day. He has asked out (even though he knows we are married). His relationship with his GF is one of convenience. My wife says she fancies him and was very very tempted by his offer, but (importantly for me, wants to stay with me). She still would like to go out for a drink with him and says Steve knows her position. I trust my wife, but in simple terms, younger man is attracted to my wife, wife is also attracted and in her words very very tempted. - But is effectively saying trust me, I know what I'm doing. Can you imagine how I will feel if they have their drink? Worried us an understatement.

quote:

Thanks again for all the comments. This has helped me come to the conclusion, that in all probability nothing has happened between them yet. Many of you will think I'm crazy, but I have trusted my wife for all these years and don't want to set boundaries or tell her what to do. She has got to decide. She has told me it's a drink as friends, so I will take a big gulp of bravery and let her do this. She knows she risks loosing me and I desperately hope she keeps it as friends. I can't say I'm looking forward to Friday night, but as I said above, I want her to know I trust her and for her to show she can respect that trust. I pray I'm not giving a very sad update on Saturday morning.

:whitewater: A living doormat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post
Me [25F] with my boyfriend [21M] of 10 months, another Tinder horror story and I'm mourning

quote:

My heart is breaking, every single day I wake up...I wish things would go back to normal.

I've been dating my SO for ten months and yes, I can acknowledge fully that the relationship has been rushed along and moved quicker than an average pace. I fell in love with my boyfriend three months into dating him, exclusively. And I blame myself for putting such a "perfect human" perception on him, when that certainly isn't the case with anyone.

To get down to it, we were laying on the couch three days ago and he opened up his phone right in front of me to swipe away some old tabs he wasn't using. One of them I noticed, was Tinder. "When did he download that??" Was the only thought in my head. "Three months ago", was the reply. I started getting incredibly anxious and asked him how recently he had been swiping. He said as recent as a month ago, and he had talked with two other girls. He showed me the messages and this is not to defend him by any means, but they simply weren't sexual in nature, or romantic.

I was still hurt. Why was the man I'm with, (also I'm pregnant), using a notorious hook up site behind my back? Arguing ensued. He acknowledged he had hid it from me because he "didn't want to hurt me", but he wasn't using the app for it's intended purpose. Then why was he using it? According to him, for self worth.

He wanted to hear other girls tell him he's cute, or smart, or funny. Even though I tell him that all the time. After two days of further prodding, he told me when he downloaded it, he was overwhelmed about our relationship and wasn't necessarily looking for an out, but just wanted someone else to talk to. Why not talk to another guy friend? I consider what he did cheating.

My issue is, being pregnant...and I do still love him, is it possible to work this out? Has anyone else gotten over infidelity? What's your story? Does it get easier? My trust and heart have been broken. Forgiveness is so far away but I want to be able to believe him again. He's been remorseful...opened up all media and lets me check it whenever I feel the panic. But I don't want to be that way...I don't want to be that type of girlfriend.

He says it was nothing I did and the fault was all on him. He accepts blame and says he will be 100% transparent from now on about everything, at any time and would like to do counseling to resolve his own personal issues as well as relationship issues.

I just need help. I feel so lost. I thought he was someone he isn't and now I'm confused about how to proceed. If you've been through something similar, feel free to suggest anything you can. I'm open to bluntness, or hearing anything that you think will help. I don't want to mourn the loss of a relationship in this way.

tl;dr: Caught boyfriend on Tinder...nothing sexual happened, and he never met up with the two girls he was chatting with. But why did he need to go behind my back? Is this truly cheating? How do I find the road to forgiveness?

Guess the buried lede!

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

La Brea Carpet posted:

Me [25F] with my boyfriend [21M] of 10 months, another Tinder horror story and I'm mourning

Guess the buried lede!

How could a 21 year old guy <1 yr into dating a lady and knocking her up in the process possibly feel trapped??? :confused:

That relationship ends well, calling it now

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I (36m) am worried my wife (36f) is having an affair. I dont want to ask her directly if this is true.

The wife is really doing well for herself here, I'm proud of her.

:unsmith:

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

quote:

My wife says she fancies him and was very very tempted by his offer, but (importantly for me, wants to stay with me). She still would like to go out for a drink with him and says Steve knows her position.

Bro

LorentzViolator
Sep 6, 2006

Ham Sandwiches posted:

This guy loving sucks

Me [35 F] with my 33 husband [M] of 3 years, dating for 8, told me being with me is like a prison.

She wrote: 'And, from a more global perspective, we shared the same goals. I was always neutral about kids'

In his text apology to her, he wrote: 'Im not unhappy in a global sense'

I'm wondering about the optics of this mutual use of global.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

"I refuse to set boundaries of any kind" from a sensitive and understanding man

I'm honestly confused about where the concept that setting any boundaries means you're abusive or something comes from.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Baronjutter posted:

Murder chair husband and turn his bones into a chair.
Then donate it to chairity.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Ham Sandwiches posted:

stuff like this confuses me because she doesn't need to be actively cheating to be hurting your relationship/disrespecting you. Even if all she really wants is the positive attention from this young buck and has no plans to sleep with him, it's still frankly unacceptable to tolerate his advances, which are direct insults to her husband.

Don't be friends with people who wanna bone you when you're already attached, it's not a tough concept.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Blade Runner posted:

I'm honestly confused about where the concept that setting any boundaries means you're abusive or something comes from.

I feel like there's a really strong social push using language regarding abuse to be okay with your SO hanging out with the opposite sex. Not to say I don't think those relationships can work, just when the line gets blurry I can sorta understand it being hard to put your foot down because there's so much talk on social media of it being "controlling". "yeah it's fine if you hang out with guy friends but no it's not fine for you to hang out with guy friends who openly want in your pants" is a line that seems obvious but is often neglected in discussions on the topic.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I don't care if my SO has lunch/dinner or whatever with a male friend.

I do care if that male friend only knows her because he was trying to hit on her and then asked her out and she said "nah sorry I'm attached" and then he goes "that's okay let's have a drink anyway :) " and then she tells me well she is attracted to him but she'd never do anything because she wouldn't want to hurt my feelings.

Like... lol. If you didn't want to hurt my feelings you would have unequivocally told this dude nothing was going to happen and thanks but no thanks to going out for a drink since the only express purpose behind that would be to have another opportunity to hit on you, this time in a more social and relaxed setting.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Blade Runner posted:

Asking someone to respect you is effectively trying to control their emotions for your own benefit. This is textbook psychological abuse, and they are completely within their rights to demand you respect them enough not to do that.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Outrail posted:

Asking someone to respect you is effectively trying to control their emotions for your own benefit. This is textbook psychological abuse, and they are completely within their rights to demand you respect them enough not to do that.

I can't tell if this is a brilliant joke or the dumbest poo poo I've ever read

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

ArbitraryC posted:

I feel like there's a really strong social push using language regarding abuse to be okay with your SO hanging out with the opposite sex. Not to say I don't think those relationships can work, just when the line gets blurry I can sorta understand it being hard to put your foot down because there's so much talk on social media of it being "controlling". "yeah it's fine if you hang out with guy friends but no it's not fine for you to hang out with guy friends who openly want in your pants" is a line that seems obvious but is often neglected in discussions on the topic.

The only non-single chicks I hang out with alone are the ones I'm absolutely certain aren't and never would be interested in me.

Yes, there's some low hanging fruit. Go on.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I can't tell if this is a brilliant joke or the dumbest poo poo I've ever read

Porque no los dos?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Outrail posted:

The only non-single chicks I hang out with alone are the ones I'm absolutely certain aren't and never would be interested in me.

Yes, there's some low hanging fruit. Go on.

Porque no los dos?

You're alright by me

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

If you attempt to tell others what you expect of them (abusers often call them "boundaries") you are using your power to abandon them ("breaking up" or "going your separate way") in order to coerce behaviors that you find pleasing, thereby reducing them to an object that you only use to provide contentment for yourself. Common phrases used are "Your actions really hurt me and made me feel like you don't care", "We need to talk about this so we can have a better relationship", and the Big Therapy one "We should think about seeing a therapist to help us get through this."

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Yeah my ex had a similar friend except he wanted to come over to her place, had explicitly told her he was interested in her sexually, and she had told him in no uncertain terms that she was taken and not interested.

She made me feel like a lovely boyfriend because I called the dude out as a creep who would definitely try to make a move on her, and enlisted a mutual friend in basically shaming me for not trusting her. It wasn't her I didn't trust, it was the sentient fedora who had repeatedly attempted to weasel his way into bed with her.

The other guy in these situations always tries something. In the redditor's case, his wife actually admitted to being into the guy. Jesus Christ, run far loving away from people like that.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bertrand Hustle posted:

It wasn't her I didn't trust, it was the sentient fedora who had repeatedly attempted to weasel his way into bed with her.

On the flip side this is a stupid argument and always will be. What, she has no agency in this decision at all and he can somehow finagle her into bed with no breach of trust between you and her going on on her part?

quote:

she had told him in no uncertain terms that she was taken and not interested.

Sounds like she did the right thing and that's that and you did actually make her feel like poo poo for implying she would have cheated on you with some fedora weasel.

As opposed to the reddit story where the wife goes "wellll he is cute haha but I promise nothing will happen."

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Yeah my ex had a similar friend except he wanted to come over to her place, had explicitly told her he was interested in her sexually, and she had told him in no uncertain terms that she was taken and not interested.

She made me feel like a lovely boyfriend because I called the dude out as a creep who would definitely try to make a move on her, and enlisted a mutual friend in basically shaming me for not trusting her. It wasn't her I didn't trust, it was the sentient fedora who had repeatedly attempted to weasel his way into bed with her.

The other guy in these situations always tries something. In the redditor's case, his wife actually admitted to being into the guy. Jesus Christ, run far loving away from people like that.

The next step is "We had a few drinks and I hosed him. I was drunk so it's not my fault! Maybe I shouldn't tell him it happened. I need to talk to someone about this. I'll have drinks with the same guy so we can talk about this. Honey I'm so sorry, I didn't mean for you to find out this to happen."

I suspect it's just as many husbands that do this as wives.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

quote:

She still would like to go out for a drink with him and says Steve knows her position

I mean he probably does. Reverse cowgirl?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

COMRADES posted:

On the flip side this is a stupid argument and always will be. What, she has no agency in this decision at all and he can somehow finagle her into bed with no breach of trust between you and her going on on her part?

Sounds like she did the right thing and that's that and you did actually make her feel like poo poo for implying she would have cheated on you with some fedora weasel.

As opposed to the reddit story where the wife goes "wellll he is cute haha but I promise nothing will happen."

I think even if they've shot them down it's still super inappropriate to keep hanger ons that are looking to pounce whenever things get rocky in your relationship. It's a powerplay, no one wants "well I already have someone lined up who's ready and willing when i'm feeling emotionally vulnerable" in their relationship. It's just disrespectful to continue associating with someone like that, they're basically insulting your SO by their very presence.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Can confirm, have been the guy in the wings waiting for breakups. It's super easy. If a girl is single you gotta be better than every other guy out there, but if a girl is in a relationship you only need to be better than one guy

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ArbitraryC posted:

I think even if they've shot them down it's still super inappropriate to keep hanger ons that are looking to pounce whenever things get rocky in your relationship. It's a powerplay, no one wants "well I already have someone lined up who's ready and willing when i'm feeling emotionally vulnerable" in their relationship. It's just disrespectful to continue associating with someone like that, they're basically insulting your SO by their very presence.

Yeah I mean I dunno why she'd think it would be fine for the dude to come over to her place but I just really hate that "It's not you that I don't trust it is them" argument. It's just a mealy mouthed way of saying I don't trust you when someone doesn't want to just ask "well why is he coming over then" outright.

Unless you're worried the other person will try to drug your SO or something but like...

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Someone that is like "I want to gently caress you, and I don't care that you're in a relationship" is way more questionable company than some friend or previous relationship that people stay in contact with.

You know the person has absolutely signaled their intent, all that's missing is a green light. That the partner wants to entertain that and what, just kinda hang out with Steve who wants to gently caress her (and she stated that it's reciprocal, what the gently caress is that) is just :redflag: after :redflag:

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

COMRADES posted:

If it's been made known that someone wants to gently caress you and you're not interested, that's a permanent stressor on your relationship with that person. Even if you trust someone completely, it's just...humans. If you have a fight and they go out, feeling depressed and in a bad place, what then? If you have a completely perfect relationship with someone who would never cheat on you ever and who you never fight with at all, sure, but it's natural to worry.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
Everyone here is late 20s, early 30s really should know better:

I [27 F] may be pregnant with one hookups [30sM] and may have given another [30sM] an std. How do I talk to them?

quote:

u/forfriends333
OK so I'm fully aware and unhappy with my decisions lately in regards to guys and am seeking to improve things. I need advice on how to proceed with talking to either of these guys on the cold sore or potential pregnancy.

So I work in a bar, all under the table pay while I get through school. I have been meeting a handful of guys I thought could be relationship material but I am waking up to the fact it's a bar means I really need to not sleep with guys there if that's what I want.

Anyway enter J two months ago. We hit it off, went on couple dates, I met his friends and everyone said he really liked me. I told him I was on bc and we slept together but he didn't finish in me. I didn't see or talk to him much for next 2 months and figured he was just a hookup. I got lonely one night and reached out and went over. I had missed 4 pills that pack, didn't say anything as I expected him to use a condom, turns out he didn't and came inside me. I freaked out, took a morning after pill right after, and got tested at planned parenthood and am doing follow ups as well. I feel like it's my fault for not clarifying anything about missed pills since I previously had told him I was on the pill but I also didn't expect him to do what he did considering we're casual only and hadn't seen each in two months.

I asked my best friend and her husband and they said a guy in his 30s is fully aware of the risks and considering it'd been 2 months since we'd hooked up if he was stupid enough to do what he did it was on him for not checking with me or using protection and he made a decision to do so without checking with me so I shouldn't be overly concerned as long as I took the morning after pill and see a Dr and learn from it. I don't know, I feel so guilty like it was my fault entirely.

OK enter F, second hookup. We hadn't been on a date or anything for a month when he came in to my work. I had what I thought was a burn in my mouth but could be an early cold sore. I'm embarrassed about it so I didn't say cold sore but I did say I've got what could be something contagious like shingles in my mouth I don't want to kiss or do anything to risk it. I thought that I was clear in that but when we went home he ended up forcing my head down to give him head even though I tried to protest he said he didn't care about the mouth thing. He also then proceeded to gently caress me and refused to put a condom on and finished in me and I tried to tell him we needed a condom several times and he just kept going and I didn't know what to do but I never want to see him again. I wasn't forceful with him like I should have been, I was just in shock at what was happening.

So anyway it's a cold sore. I feel like I really hosed up by not being more clear when I said it was contagious and I should have refused to give him head but I didn't and now I'm feeling super lovely that I may have gave it to him and it's my fault.

My friend on this one said he was abusive and what he did all around was forceful and 100% unacceptable esp because I told him multiple times about stopping for a condom and warned him about my mouth. I don't know though.

I need some advice. I'm freaking out and having massive anxiety. I don't know how to talk to them about this or deal with the fallout if one got a cold sore or I'm pregnant? I know I play a part in this but I feel really bad that these guys are going to end up with something or almost got me pregnant and it's my fault and I'm going to be judged. I don't know how to get out of this cycle I'm in but I'm done hooking up with anyone until I get to a better place mentally.

tl;dr: Slept with one guy two months after telling him I was on bc, didn't expect him to finish in me, he did without asking and I feel responsible. Warned another guy about a potential contagious mouth issue and he somewhat forced me to give him head and now I have a cold sore and because I didn't explicitly say it may be a cold sore feel responsible for that. How do I approach this with them? What do I say if one has a cold sore or I'm pregnant?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

COMRADES posted:

Yeah I mean I dunno why she'd think it would be fine for the dude to come over to her place but I just really hate that "It's not you that I don't trust it is them" argument. It's just a mealy mouthed way of saying I don't trust you when someone doesn't want to just ask "well why is he coming over then" outright.

I completely trust my girlfriend and she also would break off ties with anyone who made a pass at her.

A previously girlfriend I also completely trusted kept a guy like that around and I didn't really protest because she said she wouldn't do anything, I still trusted her but eventually something did happen when she was real drunk and we broke up.

What I've learned from my relationships is I think someone who actually respects their SO and isn't planning on cheating wouldn't just keep the option open and would take a pass like that as an insult to their SO and their relationship. You shouldn't have to police who they hang out with, if they love and respect you they'll have reasonable boundaries themselves.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Milotic posted:

I [27 F] may be pregnant with one hookups [30sM] and may have given another [30sM] an std. How do I talk to them?

Man the holidays really bring out the hosed up stories, this is great

This could all be from a trailer park

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Milotic posted:

What a train-wreck.

She's not pregnant, she took the morning after, it's a non-issue unless she's really unlucky.

The other guy is a dick and deserves his coldsore riddled cock. Unfortunately he's going to keep spreading it around with his coldsore riddled cock because he sounds kinda rapey.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

ArbitraryC posted:

What is even sadder is this sadbrain obsessed with a friend of mine so when my friend and his boyfriend broke up he was like visibly excited, like it was kind of gross how happy he was to find out about their break up and immediately started angling like this was his big break, the sympathetic shoulder to cry on, it was finally his turn.

Nope, about 40 minutes later a guy my friend was actually into showed up at the bar, it was kind of fun to watch get so exciting about finally being able to get romantic with my friend and see him almost immediately crushed.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ArbitraryC posted:

A previously girlfriend I also completely trusted kept a guy like that around

What I've learned from my relationships is I think someone who actually respects their SO and isn't planning on cheating wouldn't just keep the option open and would take a pass like that as an insult to their SO and their relationship.

Well, sure. What I'm saying though is these aren't the actions of a trustworthy person to begin. So it is totally normal to be worried or have a conversation or break up but like... "It's not that I don't trust you, it is that I don't trust them" is just an indirect way of saying I don't trust you and it's a bit insulting to one's intelligence to think they aren't going to realize that.

If the gf can't handle a conversation about "well why are you leading this guy on then?" then that in of itself is a massive red flag because adults who trust each other should be able to have those kinds of conversations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I know a married couple. In their past they broke up and there was cheating, the guy she got with when things went bad was the guy's best friend. The two dudes didn't talk for years over this, but she is pretty much best friends still with the other guy and they go out so much together you'd think they were the ones who were married. He still has feelings, she's "just friends", husband has just sort of made peace with the fact that his wife spends a huge chunk of her free time one on one with this guy.

Maybe I'm a jealous controlling tyrant but I don't think I'd be ok with this.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Nah that's whack but see I would say "lady why are you doing this" not "it's not that I don't trust you, BUT..."

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

Outrail posted:

What a train-wreck.

She's not pregnant, she took the morning after, it's a non-issue unless she's really unlucky.

The other guy is a dick and deserves his coldsore riddled cock. Unfortunately he's going to keep spreading it around with his coldsore riddled cock because he sounds kinda rapey.

Yeah, normally I avoid posting the sexual assault ones as they’re not fun and just bleak, but there’s so much stupidity from everyone here.

You know what I do like to post? Weddings!

I (35M) travelled to the wedding of friends (38M 36F). But...they never got married. Is it fair to be annoyed?

quote:

u/Annoyedfriend111
Hi reddit, I'm on a throwaway and have changed some details because lot of friends use Reddit, but the essentials are correct... Really looking for advice before reacting to this.

Last year I travelled to Spain for a friend's destination wedding. They live in the UK (as do I), friends and family came from Africa, America etc. Flights, hotels, wedding present, you know the drill - it isn't cheap but these things are important.

Anyway, I recently had a drink with him. He tells me that she's "pressuring him" to move ahead with the actual marriage bit, since - this was a surprise - they never actually did it. The legal bit. And it seems like this wasn't an admin lapse - he didn't want do the marriage bit because he didn't want to "rush into it" too quickly.

And now he seems quite keen to procrastinate even further since they haven't exactly been in honeymoon mode the past few months. She's getting frustrated and impatient.

I'm trying to be understanding and kind to him. So I expressed some mild surprise that they weren't married (since that was news) and went along with what he was saying without voicing an opinion. Then we finished drinks. But inside I was thinking....what???!

I mean let's ignore the (obviously much more important) issue of her feelings one year on - I can imagine she's frustrated with this situation.

But is it fair that I also feel a bit annoyed personally? I completely understand not being ready to get married and not wanting to get married and all that. I also understand wanting to have a love ceremony / party. All ok. But then......my view....don't hold an actual wedding, presented as a wedding, with family and friends flying in buying wedding gifts because - you know- it's a wedding!

I'm also totally fine with couples who do the marriage bit a few weeks/months before/after the party bit - as long as it's sorted, the timing is more a matter of convenience..

But this? Honestly I feel pretty cheesed off that he - or they - weren't up front. But I don't know if I'm being unreasonable about this, so I haven't said anything and don't know how I'd express this if I did. Is it appropriate these days and I just haven't caught on?

Btw the dude wasn't remotely awkward or apologetic about the situation - just expressing some frustrations with his not-wife and her pressuring him on it. He didn't seem to have the slightest idea that this could be socially unacceptable.

Am I a dinosaur? What would you say to him? Help, reddit!

tl;dr Went to friend's destination wedding, flights hotel gift (money) etc. But now find out they never got married because he didn't want to "rush into it." Cheesed off. What do I do/say?

Certain religious ceremonies are legally binding in Spain. As Church of England ones are in the UK (but not Catholic ones).

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Milotic posted:

Certain religious ceremonies are legally binding in Spain. As Church of England ones are in the UK (but not Catholic ones).

lmao

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Baronjutter posted:

I know a married couple. In their past they broke up and there was cheating, the guy she got with when things went bad was the guy's best friend. The two dudes didn't talk for years over this, but she is pretty much best friends still with the other guy and they go out so much together you'd think they were the ones who were married. He still has feelings, she's "just friends", husband has just sort of made peace with the fact that his wife spends a huge chunk of her free time one on one with this guy.

Maybe I'm a jealous controlling tyrant but I don't think I'd be ok with this.

Please do not befriend your doormat

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Milotic posted:

Yeah, normally I avoid posting the sexual assault ones as they’re not fun and just bleak, but there’s so much stupidity from everyone here.

I (35M) travelled to the wedding of friends (38M 36F). But...they never got married. Is it fair to be annoyed?

Convince him to ditch her so you can post about the fallout on reddit.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

So why have a wedding... if you aren't ready to get married? :thunk:

Why not have it when you are ready to get married? My understanding is there's even a term for a get together without a wedding and it's called a party.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Milotic posted:

Stage a fake divorce

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If I travel internationally and buy wedding presents for what turns out to just be a themed party and not in fact a wedding then yeah I'd be a bit ticked off too I think.

My final opinion would fundamentally hinge on whether or not there was an open bar or not though.